Super Flimsy 360 cases

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!
remote_image20091103-22364-1jwrw0p-0.jpg

In the last month I've noticed that most 360 games (late Oct/Nov releases) are now in these incredibly flimsy cases where they've cut out a big chunk of the plastic in the front and back. Now instead of being rigid the case leaves the disc unprotected from even the slightest pressure. This is concerning me because it seems as though more breakage is inevitable when shipping games.

Anyone else noticed this and are you adding more packing material when trading/selling games? For maybe a quarter cent worth of plastic this seems like a real stupid move by MS.

This isn't because of money saving (well, it probably is as well), but it's eco-packaging. The idea is it wastes less plastic. I agree that it looks to leave the disk unprotected, but hopefully the instructions will help cushion the disk. It's not like the old style completely saved the disks either, I've had a few scratched disks where they've just fallen off the spindle anyway.

This is making it easier for artwork to get ripped and damaged when people are shipping them out now because even though the case were not the sturdiest thin gin the world, the artwork is even less protection, especially if its only put in a bubble mailer and these cases will make it much easier for things to poke holes into the artwork and possible even damage the disc and push them out of the holder and gives them a chance to rattle around inside the package. Not to say it didnt happen before, but it will probably happen more often now.

I say fuck the climate. I want my games packaged in a big-assed smoke belching SUV that runs on coal.

/sarcasm off

"Eco" packing? Plastic is inert and completely harmless to animals and plants. Unless of course you cut fucking stupid holes in it that birds and other animal can get trapped in!

[quote name='donkeydrop']"Eco" packing? Plastic is inert and completely harmless to animals and plants. Unless of course you cut fucking stupid holes in it that birds and other animal can get trapped in![/QUOTE]

LoL! Wasn't too sure where you were going with it at first. :applause:

[quote name='dodgeme']Lol time to buy empty 360 cases off of ebay to replace these crappy shitty ones.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for a great idea!

I totally just swapped out my Prey case for my MUA2 one!

[quote name='dodgeme']Lol time to buy empty 360 cases off of ebay to replace these crappy shitty ones.[/QUOTE]

What can you do with the old ones though. Not sure if anyone will actually want to buy those pieces of crap XD

yea I first noticed this about a month ago with a movie I got called "the piano". I was pissed, but just replaced the case. Then I started noticing games at gamestop had these cases also.

I understand ecofriendly stuff, but this is just stupid. If they are going to save money by doing this, they better drop my game prices back down that 10 dollars. I'll be buying spare 360 cases on ebay.

COD was my first case like this, combined with that what 4 page manual and for a second I thought nothing was in the package. I don't like this at all , thankfully I have plenty of spare cases from my nephews .

Yuck, they're doing this with games now too? Considering games are (usually) much more expensive than DVDs, we should at least get some halfway decent packaging.

This is a really bad move. 360 cases were already flimsy enough but this is an even worse idea. I figured this was exclusive to DVDs but I guess not. It probably saves a bit on production costs too, I'd bet.

Eco packing my ass- now there will be tons of these shitty green cases as people throw these out after they replace them with actual cases.:roll:

[quote name='Dendaman']Is it really something worth complaining about? I mean the case sits in your shelf 95% of the time...[/QUOTE]

its the internet we complain about everything

i hate these there so retarded

These have to stop. Now. I've yet to see/hear a single positive comment about the eco-cases from anyone, anywhere.

I bought Angel S1&2 from Target, and the slim-cases they came in were infected with the eco-holes as well. Absolutely ridiculous.

[quote name='Vinny']Eco packing my ass- now there will be tons of these shitty green cases as people throw these out after they replace them with actual cases.:roll:[/QUOTE]

HAHA! Exactly. That's the best part. Plenty of anal people are gonna toss these.

[quote name='Dendaman']Is it really something worth complaining about? I mean the case sits in your shelf 95% of the time...[/QUOTE]

What else are we suppose to do to fill the down time in our lives? Besides, trivial or not, I think most of us are tired of these efforts to "save our planet." It was here for billions of years before we showed up. It will be here billions more after it flicks us off its back like the flees we are.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the paper quality of the cover art has really down the crapper too. I was switching my MW2 into another case and when I held it I could tell the paper was pure trash (I work with printing companies so I can easily tell the difference). WAY thinner than the older types. This probably explains why the newer games start getting that whole wavy paper effect (you all know what I mean) after opening the game.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']HAHA! Exactly. That's the best part. Plenty of anal people are gonna toss these.

What else are we suppose to do to fill the down time in our lives? Besides, trivial or not, I think most of us are tired of these efforts to "save our planet." It was here for billions of years before we showed up. It will be here billions more after it flicks us off its back like the flees we are.[/QUOTE]

My god the stupidity of people knows no bounds. Of course the planet will be here. The ecosystem won't be however; that's kind of the point. And we're not just taking out ourselves. We're doing a pretty fucking good job of killing most everything else too. That said, there is nothing "eco-friendly" about these cases. The whole concept is that they take up less room in a landfill (which is pretty much bullshit anyway), but all they really do is cost less to produce. I'm tired of corporate greed being wrapped up in a "green" shell.

I love these cases! Less plastic means less petroleum used, both in production and shipping. As a result, my local gas stations have already dropped the cost of regular to 98¢ a gallon.

That eco-friendly crap is just corporate PR spin. This is a money-saving, revenue-increasing move. I've noticed so far that I've only gotten these cases with Activision games.

this stuff does suck balls, make ya even more worried to spill anything or putting it into your car

[quote name='chinomike55']This is a money-saving, revenue-increasing move.[/QUOTE]

haha. Yeah, they're prepared to catch the ire of their consumers just to save a quarter of a cent on packaging (and that is not even including the the costs of retooling their packaging machines).

[quote name='mietha']My god the stupidity of people knows no bounds. Of course the planet will be here. The ecosystem won't be however; that's kind of the point. And we're not just taking out ourselves. We're doing a pretty fucking good job of killing most everything else too.[/QUOTE]

fail-1.jpg

Yea, i pretty much hate these cases. I was in my living room when UPS dropped MW2 off, i opened it up and low and behold the bottom of the case was shattered, luckily i had a spare, but I really dont think its ecofriendly if i have to buy a new case every time my "eco friendly" case arrives shattered.

In some lame attempt at using less plastic, they make the things 3X more fragile and more likely to need to be replaced. By cutting out 20% of structural plastic, they ensure a need to make more of them to replace the broken ones.

Even Captain Planet would call bullshit on this attempt. Al Gore, however, probably loves it, and he'll tell you so if you pay him $20 to hear his message.

[quote name='chinomike55']That eco-friendly crap is just corporate PR spin. This is a money-saving, revenue-increasing move. I've noticed so far that I've only gotten these cases with Activision games.[/QUOTE]

Brutal Legend (EA) came in one. I swapped out the case with an old preorder case the minute I opened it.

I'm ok with it. That just means that I can ask for free "crappy" cases to be tossed in for me when I do trades and you guys will think I'm doing you a favor whereas I'm actually filling in my disc only collection! Muhuhahahahaha

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's Micro$shit. It's expected.[/QUOTE]You're so cool, adding a dollar sign to the name of an evil corporation and switching the word soft with shit. So creative and original to. But you're doing it wrong. Its supposed to be "micro$hit" instead of micro$shit. Shit only has one s mang.

Most people sell/trade games, its not like DVDs where you may collect a lot. I'm sure Gamestop loves this as breakage on one or two games a year can make eBay, Goozex etc totally not worth it.

i personally feel the companies are doing this to make it harder for us to sell items on ebay. That is just my opinion. I noticed it on 2 movies that i purchased a few months ago. This is the first i have read of it on the consoles. I personally would not purchase a game with that kind of case. If i did then i would send the case to the company and tell them to replace it with a good one.

[quote name='cmb00']i personally feel the companies are doing this to make it harder for us to sell items on ebay. That is just my opinion. I noticed it on 2 movies that i purchased a few months ago. This is the first i have read of it on the consoles. I personally would not purchase a game with that kind of case. If i did then i would send the case to the company and tell them to replace it with a good one.[/QUOTE]How does this make it any harder for you to sell games on ebay? Its very unlikely that the case will break during transit.

[quote name='mietha']My god the stupidity of people knows no bounds. Of course the planet will be here. The ecosystem won't be however; that's kind of the point. And we're not just taking out ourselves. We're doing a pretty fucking good job of killing most everything else too. That said, there is nothing "eco-friendly" about these cases. The whole concept is that they take up less room in a landfill (which is pretty much bullshit anyway), but all they really do is cost less to produce. I'm tired of corporate greed being wrapped up in a "green" shell.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain anything we do can't damage the eco-system as much as a 6 mile wide comet impacting the planet would do (well, I suppose we could light off all our nukes, that'd probably get it done). The eco-system survived and adapted past that.

Whether or not humans would survive global warming/cooling/climate change is certainly up for grabs but to say we're turning our planet into mars or venus with our use of fossil fuels is just plain silly.

bread's done
Back