Super Mario 64 - Best Game Ever?

[quote name='Unickuta']I actually played that game...I didn't know anyone else (outside of Japan) had either. :whee:[/quote]

I loved that game to death when I was younger.

Best game? Nope

Best Mario Game? Nope that belongs to Mario Bros 3 on NES

Best game on N64? Nope that goes to Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Best Game of that Generation? Nope that goes to Final Fantasy 7

Best game staring Mario besides Mario Bros 3? Nope the winner is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Best game that has the number six in it? Nope that's Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US)

Best game with the number four in it? Nope that hands down goes to Call of Duty 4

Nope, my guest its not the best game of all time, not even close :)

No, Super Mario 64 was way over rated.

As stated earlier, it's not even the best Mario game or the best on the N64, or the best during that era.

Never understood all the hype and praise for that title.

For me, it's a complete toss up between Mario for SNES and Mario 64. When my bro got SNES Mario, we didn't stop playing that thing for nearly two years. When I got Mario 64, same thing happened. I can't really argue with the addiction and innovation found in each game.

[quote name='Dyson']For some reason I dont care for 3D Mario games, I would much rather play Super Mario World than Mario 64.

On the other hand, I cant play a 2D Zelda game now after playing them in 3D.

Strange[/QUOTE]

Ironically I'm the exact opposite.. well when it comes to Zelda.. IMO.. Link to the Past is the benchmark for the series.. everything after it has either been a rehash (ocarina of time) or completly friggen bizarre (minich cap).. anyways

I love Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World.. IMO those two games are the piniancle of the Mario Series..

I was way late to the Mario 64 party .. so i can't judge it back in 96..

however.. Super Mario RPG is probably one of the best RPGs ever made.. its a shame that it doesn't have a spiritual sequel or at least a remake.. Paper Mario does not count.. it totally took the "mario RPG" in a different .. weirder direction.

I would agree its definitely up there.

But what to me is the most interesting thing about Mario64 was how confused i was looking at the game footage before it came out. I believed there was no way to easily control mario while doing all these sweet moves (backflips, walljumps, etc.) "How are you supposed to control Mario in 3d????" I think its easy to forget those kind of questions these days...

It was good but I think SMW and SMB3 are the far superior Mario games. Could have used a bit more variety in levels than the general ones every platformer has.

Mario 64 and Ocarina' are good, but aren't best game ever material, to me. Loved 'em both, prolly the two best games on the system alongside StarFox 64. But best game ever? No.

But hell I started with Mario Bros. back in 84 or something. If I was younger I'd prolly feel similar. Still think Mario 3, and Zelda Link to the Past are the two best of their franchise.

Mario 64 was (and still is) awesome for how revolutionary it was.
A solid game nonetheless, but I really enjoyed 2d Mario a lot more.

I started playing Mario 64 relatively recently, and have been playing it on and off for the last couple of years. Honestly I'm still waiting for the game to really "click" for me (which is why my progress in it has been so scattered, I suppose). I absolutely adore SMB1-3/World/Yoshi's Island, and I've played plenty of "old" games years after the fact and still really enjoyed them - so it's not like I just have an inability to appreciate older games, or anything like that.

I've been trying to peg exactly what it is that bothers me about the game, and I think I've finally got it. It's the FALLING. I spend far too much time falling in this game. Mario games are always full of tricky jumps, but it's different in 64. I'm always falling off ledges, falling into water, falling back to the beginning of the level... there's generally just a hell of a lot of ways to fall. And Mario 64 places a pretty large emphasis on aerial mechanics overall, so this FALLING issue is tough to look past. There are all these fancy, pretty ways to jump, but that generally leads to more FALLING so it's hard for me to really embrace the fun of it. The cannons, the locations of stars, and the general layout of most of the levels are all skewed toward this aerial gameplay mechanic, and I'm just not to crazy about it!

Yeah I'm a bit of a 2-D nostalgiac, but I've enjoyed plenty of 3D games. And I've had more fun with many of those 3D games - both well-respected (Metroid Prime) and somewhat sub-par (BloodRayne) - than I have with Mario 64.

Hey maybe the game will grow on me and I'll end up falling in love with it... but for now that's where my opinion stands!

I think it's the best Mario Brothers game by FAR, but best game over NO way. I must be in the very select few that didn't enjoy Super Mario Galaxy. I just couldn't get around running around the planets and the whole circular theme, and I thought the camera was terrible at times, but that's just me. It's a great game but there are a handful of games I'd put above it that come from other systems. Those games are for another thread though.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I started playing Mario 64 relatively recently, and have been playing it on and off for the last couple of years. Honestly I'm still waiting for the game to really "click" for me (which is why my progress in it has been so scattered, I suppose). I absolutely adore SMB1-3/World/Yoshi's Island, and I've played plenty of "old" games years after the fact and still really enjoyed them - so it's not like I just have an inability to appreciate older games, or anything like that.

I've been trying to peg exactly what it is that bothers me about the game, and I think I've finally got it. It's the FALLING. I spend far too much time falling in this game. Mario games are always full of tricky jumps, but it's different in 64. I'm always falling off ledges, falling into water, falling back to the beginning of the level... there's generally just a hell of a lot of ways to fall. And Mario 64 places a pretty large emphasis on aerial mechanics overall, so this FALLING issue is tough to look past. There are all these fancy, pretty ways to jump, but that generally leads to more FALLING so it's hard for me to really embrace the fun of it. The cannons, the locations of stars, and the general layout of most of the levels are all skewed toward this aerial gameplay mechanic, and I'm just not to crazy about it!

Yeah I'm a bit of a 2-D nostalgiac, but I've enjoyed plenty of 3D games. And I've had more fun with many of those 3D games - both well-respected (Metroid Prime) and somewhat sub-par (BloodRayne) - than I have with Mario 64.

Hey maybe the game will grow on me and I'll end up falling in love with it... but for now that's where my opinion stands![/quote]

Me too. I'm playing SM64DS and I really want to like it. Some of the jumps are just of the brutal miss and you die variety. That and the horrible camera has me screaming at my DS. Still not giving up on it though.

one of those G4 documentaries on Nintendo basically agrees with you... they say game developers still point to that game as a landmark and breakthrough game.

I played this game when new , It was by far (at the time) the best 3d game ever , the game was truly a fresh and new game. . this game was the best ( at the time ) for 3d. it was great and still is I replayed it on the ds still great fun, recommended!!!!!!

bread's done
Back