Super Mario Crossover

Played through it... awesome. I used to fantasize about crossover characters when I was a kid.

It's also a good starting point for discussion about classic 2D game design. Clearly the "guest" characters don't have the optimal abilities for dealing with the world of SMB, and it goes to show how well-designed Mario's moves and powerups were, and/or that the level design suits the character's abilities. Indie developers should take note when doing balancing and playtesting.

Of course, sometimes it's just fun to turn off the brain and use Bill Rizer's machine gun to blast Bowser in the face.

[quote name='escapekey']It's also a good starting point for discussion about classic 2D game design. Clearly the "guest" characters don't have the optimal abilities for dealing with the world of SMB, and it goes to show how well-designed Mario's moves and powerups were, and/or that the level design suits the character's abilities. Indie developers should take note when doing balancing and playtesting.
[/QUOTE]
I believe it was the intent that the characters not be well balanced. I read an interview with the creator and he said he likes playing as Simon Belmont because he has such a lousy jump mechanic.

This game got a mention on another site I frequent, with the headline "The Collective Subconscious of 1988's Children Makes A Game". I got a kick out of that.

I've dedicated the last few days to beating to with everyone sans Mario. I've done so with everyone but Link, and I may play through with Bill again since I useed warp zones during that playthrough. Simon was hell though. Lousy jump mechanics were the literal death of me. Lucky foe me I have a PC controller. I can't imagine getting too far playing on a keyboard.

In case you guy haven't heard, they're adding Ryu Hayabusa soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdr95SSgm2g

Most of the attacks from the non-mario players are unrealistically weak. I mean, it takes two shots from samus to destroy a goomba? Really?

[quote name='tuffgoi']Most of the attacks from the non-mario players are unrealistically weak. I mean, it takes two shots from samus to destroy a goomba? Really?[/QUOTE]

I think it's compensation for the fact that you can just stand there and fire, as opposed to getting close and risking the old embarassing 'I didn't hit jump fast enough and walked right into a goomba' death.

bread's done
Back