Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

[quote name='crunchewy']I just started playing this... no... Super Mario Galaxy (1) over the weekend. What took me so long? I've actually got a copy of SMG2, but it's not going to show up in the house until later, either as a Christmas present for the boys, or perhaps a Father's Day or birthday present for me. :) I am a bit worried, though, that after I finish SMG1, I'm going to be burnt out and not really want to play SMG2 yet.[/QUOTE]
I would be burnt out. Wait a while before starting SMG2.

[quote name='Doomed']I would be burnt out. Wait a while before starting SMG2.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I would take a break between games.

[quote name='KingBroly']What part of the "final star" do you not understand? I'd honestly say it's tougher than getting all 240 Blue Coins in Sunshine.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't paying attention to who I was replying to. I don't intend to ever get that far,
but I might come back and get some green stars some day.

I'm 26 stars in. I'd give it an 8/10 so far. I just wish there were other platformers to actually compare it to besides SMG1.

[quote name='Rocko']Just got the third Grand Star, taking me to 50 stars. I haven't run into any trouble yet. This game is just pure fun, I love it.[/QUOTE]

I just hit 50 stars, now I need at least 5 more to advance to the boss on world 5, but all the rest of the stars are speed runs, and comet etc... I hate those, any one know a way around those to get to 55 or more stars ?

I'm up to 114 stars. All I have to do is finish all the prankster comets on the special world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played a lot today. I only have 35 stars though. I spent so many tries on the purple coins in the flip panel galaxy. So many times I did a mid-air spin when I shouldn't have.

They need more of those panel flip and vanishing/switching box galaxy stars. Those are so fulfilling when you beat them esp the purple coin star ones. The red/blue wall twist galaxy was great too, need more of those types. Can't wait for SMG3!!!

[quote name='KingBroly']What part of the "final star" do you not understand? I'd honestly say it's tougher than getting all 240 Blue Coins in Sunshine.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I thought the 120th star was simple. The hardest star for me was the first star in the Stone Cylcone Galaxy. It took me forever to learn and perfect that stage.

I'm at like 115 stars. I'll finish the final world here in a bit. It's storming out, so I'd prefer not turning on my TV/Wii and risking a power outage.

I enjoyed this...but I knew I would. It's a Mario platformer.

I just finished SMG1 with 120 stars but I really do not want to go back and get the other 120 for the last ending. It was a game that I really wanted to like but it just didn't click with me for whatever reason.

Is there anything that sets SMG2 apart from 1 or is it more of the same, just perfected?

How do the last 120 go, anyway? Are they simply hidden in the level somewhere?

I finished the 120 regular stars last night. Really enjoyed it, but, I've got to move on to other games.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I just finished SMG1 with 120 stars but I really do not want to go back and get the other 120 for the last ending. It was a game that I really wanted to like but it just didn't click with me for whatever reason.

Is there anything that sets SMG2 apart from 1 or is it more of the same, just perfected?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely more of the same, but it's more focused and straight-forward than the first game.

Just hit 50 stars last night. I'm still loving it but it's not harder than SMG1 at least so far. The last level I did was in the desert and at the end there was some slide that got super narrow as I went down. Every time one of those things rolled by, Mario glanced at it. Great attention to detail.

[quote name='javeryh']Just hit 50 stars last night. I'm still loving it but it's not harder than SMG1 at least so far. The last level I did was in the desert and at the end there was some slide that got super narrow as I went down. Every time one of those things rolled by, Mario glanced at it. Great attention to detail.[/QUOTE]

that one wasn't so bad..the chomp factory with the shadow luigi's was the most annoying by far for me..I have 57 at this point.

[quote name='jman619']Just beat it with the lowest amount of stars. Not sure why,but I can't get into it like I can the 2d Mario style games. Aw well.[/QUOTE]

That's funny - I put down NSMBWii somewhere in World 4 and haven't gone back to it. Maybe it's because I've logged hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours on 2D Mario platformers in my life (I played every single one within weeks of its initial release - yes, I'm old). The 3D games seem to grab me more nowadays...

[quote name='javeryh']That's funny - I put down NSMBWii somewhere in World 4 and haven't gone back to it. Maybe it's because I've logged hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours on 2D Mario platformers in my life (I played every single one within weeks of its initial release - yes, I'm old). The 3D games seem to grab me more nowadays...[/QUOTE]

I'm the other way around. There's no telling how many times I've played the really old ones. I still enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 2,but I'm not crazy over it.

I just finished getting all of the original 120 stars and am onto the green ones. I don't know if I have it in me to round up another 120 more. I liked the first game but I am somewhat underwhelmed by this one. Don't get me wrong it's a great game but it's not that much different. It feels more like SMG 1.5. I guess I was just expecting too much.

Just got my game 21 stars in, loving it so much.

Although that bird gliding level made me wish they made pilotwings for the wii.

Quick question, I am at world 2 and I have all max stars and comet coins for world 1 levels that I can get, yet only like 1-2 completed symbols on levels. Are there hidden stars or do I just need to unlock the extra star challenges later on?

some do come later..so u did get the game after all sir fragalot =)

I actually blasted through nsmbwii fairly easily barring I think 1 or 2 of the stages on 9. SMG1's final 10 were quite annoying actually. At this point in the game SMG2 has more annoying levels than I remember SMG1 having which is disappointing.

[quote name='jterp7']so u did get the game after all sir fragalot =)[/QUOTE]
That gives me hope for my Amazon copy. Shipped on May 22nd, last updated May 28. Estimated arrival was June 2nd. They won't let me request a replacement till June 13th.

:-({|=

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Just got my game 21 stars in, loving it so much.

Although that bird gliding level made me wish they made pilotwings for the wii.

Quick question, I am at world 2 and I have all max stars and comet coins for world 1 levels that I can get, yet only like 1-2 completed symbols on levels. Are there hidden stars or do I just need to unlock the extra star challenges later on?[/QUOTE]

Some stages get prankster comets later randomly after you obtain the comet medal.

[quote name='jterp7']some do come later..so u did get the game after all sir fragalot =)

[/QUOTE]
They had to send a replacement. Since my NSMB Wii is probably lost as well, I need to find out who to bitch to about it that handles my shipping.

I just realized I got 29 stars in one day and the only reason I am stopping now is my hand hurts from holding the Wiimote :lol:.

I just got to Throwback Galaxy last night. Absolutely loved it. I need to play SM64 again. I was so bad when I was young. I hated all the water worlds.

[quote name='iRent']Finished the "story" yay.[/QUOTE]

same feeling here i guess
, thought he'd be harder honestly..but I guess its exactly like the first one, just harder level not boss itself

[quote name='icedrake523']I just got to Throwback Galaxy last night. Absolutely loved it. I need to play SM64 again. I was so bad when I was young. I hated all the water worlds.[/QUOTE]

I wish there was an easy way to upgrade sm64 to smg graphics a la super turbo remix..but alas there's not

[quote name='jterp7']same feeling here i guess
, thought he'd be harder honestly..but I guess its exactly like the first one, just harder level not boss itself
[/QUOTE]

It would have been better if
after Bowser tried to punch squish you and the purple fireballs converged, it blew up then sent out a few waves like the mini planets you have to pound into him to defeat him. It would make it way more hectic. You'd be jumping like the whole level. I let my guard down a wee bit too early after the 1st half of the last Bowser fight.

The hardest boss in my book was that stupid snake thing where you had to pop his bubbles. The
fire one is 10x worse

I was expecting a story anyway. Definitely a great game though. Pacing was excellent. I'm glad it didn't have a boss for every star. The mini games were fun. I didn't like a lot of the yoshi bits. Like the level where you eat the pepper. I can't control him correctly. Really pisses me off.

I love the Super Mario franchise. Now to beat SMG1 and Sunshine. I've been lagging lately.

[quote name='iRent']It would have been better if
after Bowser tried to punch squish you and the purple fireballs converged, it blew up then sent out a few waves like the mini planets you have to pound into him to defeat him. It would make it way more hectic. You'd be jumping like the whole level. I let my guard down a wee bit too early after the 1st half of the last Bowser fight.

The hardest boss in my book was that stupid snake thing where you had to pop his bubbles. The
fire one is 10x worse

I was expecting a story anyway. Definitely a great game though. Pacing was excellent. I'm glad it didn't have a boss for every star. The mini games were fun. I didn't like a lot of the yoshi bits. Like the level where you eat the pepper. I can't control him correctly. Really pisses me off.

I love the Super Mario franchise. Now to beat SMG1 and Sunshine. I've been lagging lately.[/QUOTE]

Just wait until you get to
the boss fight speed run on the special level. You have to beat four bosses in 5 min and the last one is that fire dragon.

I decided to go ahead and make a run at getting all of the stars. I'm about 25 deep into the green ones.

[quote name='Chitown021']Just wait until you get to
the boss fight speed run on the special level. You have to beat four bosses in 5 min and the last one is that fire dragon.

I decided to go ahead and make a run at getting all of the stars. I'm about 25 deep into the green ones.[/QUOTE]

GREAT....

I have improved my experience that the non-fiery version after the prankster comet speed run...Didn't need the red shroom this time.

I'm at 81 stars and all World 1 galaxies completed.

[quote name='iRent']GREAT....

I have improved my experience that the non-fiery version after the prankster comet speed run...Didn't need the red shroom this time.

I'm at 81 stars and all World 1 galaxies completed.[/QUOTE]

It isn't the red dragon from the boss of world 1... but it is the fiery petey from Galaxy 1.

I just got shoulder surgery and am finding it much easier to play this game than any ps3 game in a sling. I only have 4-5 stars but i can tell that this is much better than the first one which was really good. Yoshi definately makes things better and the music is very enjoyable. I'm about to take some pain pills and smoke a blunt and enjoy level 5 which has some of the best mario music i have heard.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the same time hating it and now loving it, I can't believe how challenging the last star really was! I finally got it though. I feel so accomplished... wooooooooot

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I got to 242 stars last night! Awesome game!

9.9/10[/QUOTE]
Congrats! I know how it was!! Great Game indeed!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']
It isn't the red dragon from the boss of world 1... but it is the fiery petey from Galaxy 1.
[/QUOTE]

My bad. I was getting my bosses mixed up. I just remember that one being a real bitch
b/c you have to kill all of the bosses quickly but they eat up time getting to their weak points. Especially that stone boss from the first game. You can't attack him until he produces those black bomb ghosts so he ate up the most time for me.

I am about 40 green stars in now...

I've gotten about 60 of the green stars now.
A few of them are in hard to see areas but to me the hardest thing about getting them is judging exactly where they are. Some require a "leap of faith" off the edge of the world and if you miss you're toast. I guess it's a depth perception thing. Unless they're over land and you can see the shadow it's hard to know exactly where you need to jump to touch them.

(Not sure if that really qualified as a spoiler but better to be safe than sorry...)

[quote name='iRent']It would have been better if

fire one is 10x worse

I love the Super Mario franchise. Now to beat SMG1 and Sunshine. I've been lagging lately.[/QUOTE]

lol the
fire dragon
was so annoying that I had to finish it when the kids went to sleep otherwise some words would have slipped. As a matter of fact..it was harder than
final bowser
which made no sense to me.

[quote name='jterp7']As a matter of fact..it was harder than
final bowser
which made no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

This definitely...

IDEA (for sequel?): I could only imagine if they had two of the same (or different) boss(es) and you had to fight them simultaneously.
e.g. two dragons, a dragon and bowser?

[quote name='Law_Professor']You all seem to be much better than I am. I have 62 stars and the A Stroll Down Rolling Lane galaxy kicked my ass.[/QUOTE]

That was the first star that made the cosmo guide show up for me lol. There never was any lvl quite like that one where you got to play with that power up so it was weird getting used to it. It made me initially hate it, but love it afterwards, it was a nice challenge and still fun to play.

Keep that place in mind its a good place to grind starbits if you need em.

bread's done
Back