super mario lost levels not famicon

mosey73

CAGiversary!
hey nes officianados here is a question?? last week an e-bay there was a copy of smb2 the lost levels . the cart was grey and shaped like a north american game cart but had the famicon logo . I have never ran across this before . any ideas

Sounds like a bootleg to me.

The official release of it was for the famicom disk system.

Beside it being on the, GBA import only and Mario All Stars for the SNES.

Yeah, sounds like a bootleg. Super Mario Bros. the Lost Levels was Super Mario Bros. 2 in japan, while our Super Mario Bros. 2 was Super Mario USA in japan.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yeah, sounds like a bootleg. Super Mario Bros. the Lost Levels was Super Mario Bros. 2 in japan, while our Super Mario Bros. 2 was Super Mario USA in japan.[/QUOTE]

I thought OUR SMB 2 was Doki Doki Panic, with Mario and gang added

Thats said, Lost Levels was one of the hardest games Ive ever played, only got to 7-4 without warps

They probably got a SMB1 cart, flashed a hacked rom onto it, and put on a custom label. Of course, if it works and plays on an NES, it could be fun to have, just don't pay a fortune for it.

There's an entire site devoted to this kind of thing - flashing roms (or translations) onto carts so you can play them on the native system (the original FF3j comes to mind). Not much harm in making bootlegs of 20 year old games that were never released in America, I guess, the site I saw didn't want more than $20-30 for a game, which includes expenses and shipping.

Note: I know CAG policy on bootlegs and I'm not promoting this kind of thing, please don't ask me for the link.

[quote name='zman73']I thought OUR SMB 2 was Doki Doki Panic, with Mario and gang added[/quote]

It was, but Nintendo of Japan released our version in Japan as Super Mario USA in 91-92(I don't remember exactly).

bread's done
Back