Super Mario World on GBA

kevlar51

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I never owned a Super Nintendo, so outside of a few sessions at my friend's house, I never got to play Super Mario World.
I went ahead and bought the GBA version for my DS and dear Lord is this game hard! It may just be my age at this point, but I don't remember any platformer ruling my ass like this one. I'd love to blame the controls, as I feel they're too loose, but I'm afraid I might just suck at it.
Has anyone noticed any difference in gameplay between the GBA version and the SNES (or VC) version? I'm wondering if I should try my lot with the VC. Thanks.

I actually thought the GBA version was easier. In the original SNES version, no matter which powerup you have you'll always turn into little Mario where in the GBA one if you have a flower or feather, you'll just revert back to Super Mario, and then become Mario. I actually believe the GBA controls to be better (I prefer spinning with the L or R button, whichever it was).

I guess age and experience can have something to do with it. When I was young and played a little bit of this game, I thought it was really difficult and then some years later I buy the GBA version and actually don't find it all that hard. I must admit there are a couple of castle levels (where it's usually the four Rhinos at the end) that are a pain.

[quote name='AndrewCP']
I guess age and experience can have something to do with it. When I was young and played a little bit of this game, I thought it was really difficult and then some years later I buy the GBA version and actually don't find it all that hard. I must admit there are a couple of castle levels (where it's usually the four Rhinos at the end) that are a pain.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant I'm getting too old now and my reflexes aren't as good as they were. :)

The controls took a little getting used to, and I spent 100 lives on that damn Tubular! level, but no, even I made it through the game eventually. For me, Mario games are the devil, and this seems to be the only one I can beat.

[quote name='VioletArrows']The controls took a little getting used to, and I spent 100 lives on that damn Tubular! level, but no, even I made it through the game eventually. For me, Mario games are the devil, and this seems to be the only one I can beat.[/quote]

lol only 100?

Mario 1 and Mario 2 on the NES are devils...

Anything past that was (maybe) hard, but just challenging enough to keep you motivated. The New Super Mario Brothers was so ridiculously easy.

To me, the GBA games are "easier" because from beating those suckers as a young'un, the reflexes are ingrained in me.

[quote name='SL4IN']world? hard? that game can be beat in less than 30 minutes when you take the star roads.[/quote]
Well, I'm playing it through level by level. I can tear through SMB 3 in no time flat because I've done it countless time since I was 12. Now try and imagine that game without ever having played it or knowing where the warp whistles are.

[quote name='kevlar51']Well, I'm playing it through level by level. I can tear through SMB 3 in no time flat because I've done it countless time since I was 12. Now try and imagine that game without ever having played it or knowing where the warp whistles are.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. I do largely the same thing, though I've played World since it came out, so I remember many of the tricks. In some ways, knowing them can extend the SMW gameplay because of all the hidden paths.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I actually thought the GBA version was easier. In the original SNES version, no matter which powerup you have you'll always turn into little Mario where in the GBA one if you have a flower or feather, you'll just revert back to Super Mario, and then become Mario. I actually believe the GBA controls to be better (I prefer spinning with the L or R button, whichever it was).[/quote]

I don't think that is true about the SNES game. At least I'm pretty sure it isn't in the SNES version I've played. If you're feather or flower/fire mario and get hit, you go back to super mario. I will try it out tonight and see for certain, though.

World is not hard, but Lost Levels on Mario All Stars SNES is hell. There is also an import GBA version of that game, but it is always $40 or more on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mr. Beef']Mario World owning your ass? Sorry, but I had to laugh at the notion that anyone is bad at this game.[/quote]

Yes the game is very easy, but loads of fun.

bread's done
Back