Super Meat Boy

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I did a search and didn't see any threads specific to Super Meat Boy, so I thought I'd make one.

I'm up to Chapter 5 with Light World fully completed (bandages, A+ times) except for the Sunshine Island and Skyscraper Warp Zones. I'm sort of finding my skills are maxing out on those warp zones and the Dark World levels, as I'm having a lot of difficulty completing them.

I don't claim to be a great gamer and I'm sure tons of people have 100% the game if not done more.

But did anyone else hit a rut in this game? Anyone just give up all together?

Unfortunately my save was deleted about the time I got to the Cotton Alley, but I definitely started to feel that I just couldn't reasonably keep up without quitting my day job. I was happy that I beat it though, and didn't question much beyond that.

I should clarify my first post that I 100%ed the first four Chapters, and now at Chapter 5 I'm petering out at about 44% completed. I think I could probably do Ch 6 Light World maybe and "beat" the game that way, but for some reason I set this goal to 100% the main game.

I basically was 100%ing a chapter a day, then at chapter 5 I just hit the aforementioned wall. The more time I sink into the game, the more frustrated I get because I have a zillion other games I should be playing if I'm not getting anywhere on this game anymore. I sunk so much damn time into the warp zone to get The Guy, but eventually I did it. Its so hard to quit you, Super Meat Boy.

Does anyone play with a controller? I'm playing on a MacBook and my USB wired Xbox 360 controller doesn't work for it at the moment until someone writes a new driver. My hands/fingers have developed weird cramps and I'm afraid I'm abusing the shit out of my space and shift keys. Does playing with a controller make your ability to control Meat Boy any tighter than with keys?

Oh man, you're on the keyboard? Controller is the way to go. I couldn't get past chapter 3 or 4, so I found a driver that would let a PS3 controller work on PC, and I start crushing the game. It definitely lowers the time/skill ratio required to beat levels.

100%ing the game is not for the feint of heart though. I honestly would not suggest trying, trying to unlock The Kid or dark world Cotton Alley is just... scary.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Oh man, you're on the keyboard? Controller is the way to go. I couldn't get past chapter 3 or 4, so I found a driver that would let a PS3 controller work on PC, and I start crushing the game. It definitely lowers the time/skill ratio required to beat levels.

100%ing the game is not for the feint of heart though. I honestly would not suggest trying, trying to unlock The Kid or dark world Cotton Alley is just... scary.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap, I just saw that there was a driver update 3 days ago so I should be able to use my controller. I wonder if that'll help at all? Only one way to find out...

Edit: Aww shit, never mind:
Due to an unfixable bug in the Mac version, we don't support 360 controllers on Mac. I do apologize for this. The bug is unfixable because I can't again risk killing everyones game with another update. The game incorrectly assumes that no more than 12 buttons will ever be on a controller. This is mainly true, however Mac controller drivers map the JoyHAT as 4 different buttons it seems, which makes it so you can't map B X and Y properly. This also messes up the start and select buttons. It was a mistake on my part. The bug could be fixed, however there is a significant risk that fixing it will break other things to the point where its unplayable with the keyboard which we would then have to go in and fix and start a whole new cycle of updating the game / breaking something in an update, rinse, repeat. I am sorry about this, do know that it is fixed in our new engine for game 2. Also, non Xbox 360 controllers appear to work fine. Joy2Key esque programs may remedy this issue, but it has not been tested by me. Again, we are sorry about this.

I wonder if the Steam Cloud Syncing would use my save file developed on my Mac if I boot over into Windows...

Last edited by a moderator:
I 100% World 1, and felt like I got my money's worth. I couldn't get past some of the levels in chapter 2, but I haven't really made a concerted effort. But I still loved what I played of it, and will likely return to it every now and again to attempt getting a little further as I can.

I 100%'d Super Meat boy on 360 and loved every minute of it. The game is really all about trial and error and once you play a level long enough you will eventually beat it. It can get frustration at times so when it does its best to stop playing for a bit. Once you unlock the kid you will be able to beat most levels very easily.

I keep thinking I'll stop playing because my skills aren't improving fast enough, but I keep coming back to the game. I finally 100%ed Chapter 5. I've made it through Light World Chapter 6 and just have to beat the boss. Then its just Dark World Chapter 6, all of Chapter 7, then all the Negative levels to get 106% or whatever it is! This could still be a while...

Today I 106%ed the game. All keyboard, using Meat Boy for like over 95% of the stages (I don't think Meat Boy could get all of the bandages). So at least that much is possible, with some patience. In addition to gaining Ninja Meat Boy at the end, I also made sure to check out how Tofu Boy and Goo Ball play with the passcodes for them.

I went back and 100%ed the original Meat Boy flash game for what that's worth too.

So now I'm officially Meat Boy'ed out. I'm not even going to try for the Steam Achievements of beating various Light and Dark world chapters without dying. I also have no interest in attempting the Super Meat World user created levels and getting the two achievements associated with those.

Over all it was fun, or my version of fun is punishment because I went through a lot of trial and error. I do think the game was a bit over-rated though, seeing how the PC version has an 87% and the 360 version a 90% on Metacritic with many major publications giving it a perfect score. It was good, even great, but there were some sloppy elements to it. I'd probably give it 85%-87%.

I'm playing on a PS2 controller, and I got through the levels I was stuck on months ago. I used a fightpad, and a 3rd party xbox controller, and they didn't seem to do the job.

[quote name='kodave']I'm up to Chapter 5 with Light World fully completed (bandages, A+ times) except for the Sunshine Island and Skyscraper Warp Zones. I'm sort of finding my skills are maxing out on those warp zones and the Dark World levels, as I'm having a lot of difficulty completing them.[/QUOTE]

Skyscraper is an absolute pain. Leave it. I 100% the game on 360, and I struggled a lot on that stage. It's on par with The Kid as far as frustration goes due to the limited lives and length of that run. Seriously, leave it behind for now. Having to make that loop through the third level to grab the second bandage will make you want to kill someone. Come back to it later after you've advanced some.

Sunshine Island is doable. Are you struggling just beating the levels or doing that while grabbing the bandages? Weaving through the gears at the end of the 1st level and making the leap to Bandage Girl in the 2nd are the hardest bits. I don't think the 3rd level does anything particularly noteworthy. If you've beaten the earlier stages, you can do this for sure. It's just that life stock limitation which can make it frustrating at times, same as all warp zones.

Really, though, skip Skyscraper. It's easily one of the very worst stages in the entire game. I think it was my third to last to complete.

[quote name='Mr. Domino']Skyscraper is an absolute pain. Leave it. I 100% the game on 360, and I struggled a lot on that stage. It's on par with The Kid as far as frustration goes due to the limited lives and length of that run. Seriously, leave it behind for now. Having to make that loop through the third level to grab the second bandage will make you want to kill someone. Come back to it later after you've advanced some.

Sunshine Island is doable. Are you struggling just beating the levels or doing that while grabbing the bandages? Weaving through the gears at the end of the 1st level and making the leap to Bandage Girl in the 2nd are the hardest bits. I don't think the 3rd level does anything particularly noteworthy. If you've beaten the earlier stages, you can do this for sure. It's just that life stock limitation which can make it frustrating at times, same as all warp zones.

Really, though, skip Skyscraper. It's easily one of the very worst stages in the entire game. I think it was my third to last to complete.[/QUOTE]

Check the rest of the thread! ;)

It took many a wasted hour but I finally 106%ed the game.

I definitely hit a wall with those Ch. 5 warp zones. Once I conquered them (sinking a lot of time into those levels, starting with the Kid then the other two warp zones), I don't recall Ch 5 Dark World posing any unusual problems. I rolled through Ch. 6 Light World with ease. Ch. 6 Dark World was a little more challenging, but I knocked it out. I rolled through Ch. 7 Light World with ease. Then I believe I did all the negative levels which I knocked out surprisingly fast. After that I think I knocked out Ch. 7 Dark World at a moderate pace to finish up.

It definitely helps sometimes to take a break, especially late at night. Some of these levels I was dying so often, but then I'd sleep on it, come back the next day, and knock it out in a few tries.

[quote name='kodave']Check the rest of the thread! ;)[/QUOTE]

Pfft. Reading's for chumps. :p I did go through the topic but didn't connect your victory post to your OP for some reason. :p

Yeah, those tough Ch. 5 levels, if you work on them at the time you encounter them, make the rest of the game feel so much more manageable. I think those require that you really master the controls to the point where every future challenge doesn't feel impossible the way it does when you're starting out. I still did leave Skyscraper for one of my last though due to the time commitment required to clear and get the stupid bandages.

bread's done
Back