Super Nintendo import questions. I need advice!

Mustang O-Line 75

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I have been semi-interested with the idea of getting an import super nintendo for a while now. However, I've never imported anything in my entire life. I have no idea what to do, and I don't speak or read japanese. Is this a good idea? Should I even be thinking about something like this?

And how much should I expect to pay for a system like this?

I looked at ebay, and since I can't view completed items, I have no idea about how much they end for. But it seemed that they went for a reasonable 40-50 dollars used with a couple of games and shipping included. PLay asia was selling a new one for 110 dollars.

Also, does anyone have anything in this area they would be willing to trade?

Thanks for all the help, and gimme some feedback about this (i.e. good games, and cheap places to get them)

I can't be of too much help, because I've never looked at importing anything from that generation, but I have imported a lot of dreamcast, and a few PS1 and Saturn games, so I can address the speaking/reading Japanese thing. I've found that as long as I stay away from text heavy games, like RPGs it's not a problem. Also, there's a surprising amount of English in a lot of Japanese games. Most menu layouts are like the games you play now, options are the last choice, etc., with the main difference being they push the B or Circle button to confirm choices, and A or X to cancel, which is the opposite of the way we do it. Gamefaqs has a surprising amount of walkthroughs and translation guides, which are great for the text heavy games you feel you just HAVE to play. I've gotten most of my stuff on ebay, and a few from Lik Sang. Prices can very widely game by game and seller to seller, so you need to do your homework on a game by game basis. Sorry I'm not more help.

You shouldnt need to import a SNES, there is no internal lockout that prevents you from using a Super Famicon game on a SNES. The lockout is physical, if you look at the back of a SNES cart you will see two groves that match the inside of your SNES. Remove said plastic pins from the inside of the SNES (it takes less than 5 minutes with a pair of needle nose pliers) and you can play a Super Famicon game with no problems at all.

Ebay is probably the best place to get import games.

You shouldnt need to import a SNES, there is no internal lockout that prevents you from using a Super Famicon game on a SNES. The lockout is physical, if you look at the back of a SNES cart you will see two groves that match the inside of your SNES. Remove said plastic pins from the inside of the SNES (it takes less than 5 minutes with a pair of needle nose pliers) and you can play a Super Famicon game with no problems at all.

Ebay is probably the best place to get import games.

I think N64 used a physical lockout too.

In fact, there have been some.jp carts released that already have the grooves in place so that they will play in a US SNES with no modification...I've come across a few of these in my time - the one sticking out in my head was a Ranma 1/2 title (not the US release). And as far as "modding" your SNES by removing the tabs, it is as the previous poster mentioned EXTREMELY easy to do, and doesn't even require you to disassemble your system.

Yeah don't buy one...save it for games. They are easy to modify for imports. In fact I think all nintendo cart systems had ohysical lockouts so none are that tough to play imports on.

[quote name='Mustang O-Line 75']Thanks, guys!

I think I will pick up an extra regular snes than

I'd feel shitty modding my only snes tha I've had for at least 7 years.[/quote]

Yeah, get an extra cheap somewhere and do what they said. I modded mine myself in about 5 minutes and it works great. Gotta have some Perfect Eleven and Excite Stage!

I also heard that if you really want to, you can change the backs of the catridges.

Or, if you come across a game genie for snes, you don't even need to modify the unit, just stick the Super Famicom cart in the game genie and Viola!

[quote name='BigDirty']Or, if you come across a game genie for snes, you don't even need to modify the unit, just stick the Super Famicom cart in the game genie and Viola![/quote]

Hey I never knew that! I have a game genie for SNES! Woohoo!! Oh wait... I still need import famicom games...

Didn't the game genie thing work for playing Famicom gmaes on the original NES too? Or is my brain just randomly making up stuff because it can't remember?

[quote name='DenisDFat']Game Genies will ruin youor connectors. Especiallyy on the OIriginal NES. That's how a lot got ruined.[/quote]

:?: that's news to me, I know for a fact that it doesn't ruin snes as I had a GG on it for 3 years STRAIGHT, before I sold it to a friend that still has it and it still works perfectly, a grand total of 8 years.

I personally have both a Super Nintendo and a Super Famicom. Its really up to you if you want to mod a US one, but I'd say get a Super Famicom just because it looks cool as hell. Also the controllers have multi-colored buttons, as opposed to varying shades of purple (but the cords are WAAAAY too short). It also makes a great conversation piece. :)

Does importing PAL games work the same way? I'd really like to find a way to play Terranigma, the third in the Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia series. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to play PAL games on a U.S. SNES?

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Does importing PAL games work the same way? I'd really like to find a way to play Terranigma, the third in the Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia series. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to play PAL games on a U.S. SNES?[/quote]
I wouldn't think so, cause the whole thing about PAL is that it runs at a different frequency then US tvs. PAL runs at 50hz while US (NTSC) runs at 60hz so I don't think you'd be able to play them on your tv, not sure exactly though so maybe someone else can provide more insight.

Pretty sure you've made up your mind, but modding the SNES is really the easy (and cheap!) way to go. The N-64 is the same way, but the tabs usually need to be burnt off. That is not a fun process.

bread's done
Back