Super Street Fighter IV - Arcade Edition DLC Out Now & Retail Disc Out Now!

Unless you're jumping in, the shoryuken is very easy to defend, and I say this as a below average player. And if you keep jumping into it... stop jumping.

even witha tekken 6 fight stick, i get owned really bad but its like that with other fighters hehe.
still fun tho and i think in about a month i'll be better to the point that i can at least win one out of every 3 fights!

my fav chars so far are dejay and mbisson. i want to play the ninja girl but looking how she plays i dont think it's goign to work because it's going to require some really quick timing to do a lot of the knife throws and air juggles.
unlike tekken i think im going to try to avoid sticking with just one char and work on about 5 chars that i'll be really good at. going to go for chun li, dejay, bison, n some other chargers for now. :)

I'd pick one character at a time, personally. If you learn one character in and out, it will be easier to pick up another character. You won't be mediocre for as long that way

Got two 5-win streaks in ranked matches last night, with one loss in between. Close to that elusive achievement! Also got my first piece of hate mail, a simple "no skill character" message in reference to T. Hawk, hahaha. It's all about that Typhoon man. The range is fuckin obnoxious, it's awesome.

Not sure if these are "bad matchups" or not but I always choke against Guy, Honda, and Fuerte. Guy in particular is hard because he can Izuna Drop you out of the condor dive.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Got two 5-win streaks in ranked matches last night, with one loss in between. Close to that elusive achievement! Also got my first piece of hate mail, a simple "no skill character" message in reference to T. Hawk, hahaha. It's all about that Typhoon man. The range is fuckin obnoxious, it's awesome.

Not sure if these are "bad matchups" or not but I always choke against Guy, Honda, and Fuerte. Guy in particular is hard because he can Izuna Drop you out of the condor dive.[/QUOTE]

You finally started playing a game I play... after I removed you from my friend list to make room for others. I see how it is, 'rassler man.

T. Hawke is definitely weird getting used to fighting. I think SF is the worst for hate mail tbh.

I have yet to lose a ranked match, though 2 came really close. I had to win 3 rounds in a row against another dudley player (mirror) and I did. Very happy about that, but my Dudley was better so I wasn't really surprised. It seems i have problems with the dudleys that spam jet upper, but Im sure ill be watching for that more often now

[quote name='Matt Young']You finally started playing a game I play... after I removed you from my friend list to make room for others. I see how it is, 'rassler man.[/QUOTE]SSFIV, my secret plot to win you back! aahhahaha you on the CAG Fighter IV tag at least??

Also, on this subject, I've always wanted XBL to add some sort of "friend group" functionality. It's common to get an influx of friend requests when you start playing a game online, but then when you browse your list later on it's easy to lose track of which game you know each person from. A grouped friends list would make it way easier to assemble a crew of "regulars" for a game that you play and really help keep that game alive online. Oftentimes I won't bother inviting someone into a game simply because I don't even remember which game I originally played with that person - and I don't just wanna spam requests when the person may or may not own the game in question.

But yeah this discussion is better relegated to a CAG blog. Back on topic: I kinda wanna learn Ibuki because all her target combos make me feel like I'm playing UMK3.

Working off the ring rust with a shaky 40% win-loss ratio to start after 20 or so ranked matches. I'm using Cammy as my one and only ranked main (POKEFEST~!) while I get acclimated to everybody else offline in my attempt to earn the C to Shining C achievement.

[quote name='timesplitt']3 round my record = 0/100000000
1 round matches = 2/5 would have been a 3 but in a match the guy was good enough to survive with 1% health "cryface"

i love the game but Im so sick of spammers im just doing it myself now. if a guy proceeds to do the same move three time. all i do is grab him until the match is over. i was fighting this ken and all he did was the hydoken uppercut thing with the fire. and i had him beat until he started spamming it.[/QUOTE]

Sending friend request...

I played all weekend.. did fairly well. Except I'm getting somewhat bored with the game. For a while I would do arcade mode with fight request on, but I would never actually get to face Seth.. so I'd eventually turn fight request off to finish arcade mode. I've also worked on some achievements. I've never really been concerned about achievements before.. but hey, this is Street Fighter. So far I got the 10-wins-in-a-row achievement and just yesterday I got the Beat-Gouken-on-Hardest achievement (and cool Gouken Killer title). Next I'm gonna work on getting 50 supers... then 100 supers.. all while beating the game with the rest of the characters... I have about 20 left.

i got the 10 win achievement without a hitch as I have yet to lose in ranked mode and I'm only using my new character (Dudley)

I did almost lose once to another dudley. It was first to 3 wins for the match. I lost the first 2 rounds, but learned my opponent during that time. I went on to dominate the next 3 rounds for the victory :whistle2:D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh... Just deleted 6 people from my friend list and replaced them with CAGs. Now I have to find 2 more to delete to add Busta and PhrostByte. Wrestling thread forever!

Ya know, I think I can delete this EastX guy. Dude's a total tool. He's always talking about college, and becoming a teacher, and being a good father and stuff. Where are his priorities? I can't allow someone on my list who promotes higher education and family values. That's just too much.

[quote name='Matt Young']Unless you're jumping in, the shoryuken is very easy to defend, and I say this as a below average player. And if you keep jumping into it... stop jumping.[/QUOTE]
it so hard not to..:p im used to pressing a button in games to jump and in fighting game you press up on the analog/d-button and boom you jump. going to take some time to get used to that.

I can't count how many times i've finished people off knocking them out of the air with a light shoryuken and metsu hadokening their asses. I however...usually get slain by Ryu's with good ground game :/

I also found a sexy trick against Abel's ult 2. It can only take 2 hits like a FA, so once when i was doing f.mp on his wake up it pushed his shit right back in when his ult when off.

I"m on almost daily with my mediocre Bison and Cammy! I've found that my win ratio has improved drastically by setting my rank matches to search for people of similar skill rank.

I'm thinking about adding a mediocre Juri to my playlist, but I just don't want to bother learning a third character.

Send a friend request! I'm always up for CAG matches

I originally thought that it sucked that they took out the movie gallery from the original, but since the side-story intros/endings are so terrible, I think it's great that it's not a feature. 8 down, 27 to go :\

[quote name='kurrptsenate']i got the 10 win achievement without a hitch as I have yet to lose in ranked mode and I'm only using my new character (Dudley)

I did almost lose once to another dudley. It was first to 3 wins for the match. I lost the first 2 rounds, but learned my opponent during that time. I went on to dominate the next 3 rounds for the victory :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

Teach me your skills wise one.

I do great with T.Hawk. If I can win with Dudley then...?

Dudley + T. Hawk Ownage = World Domination ?

[quote name='kurrptsenate']have you learned how to link into a HK spiral arrow as well as a cannon spike -> FADC -> cannon spike?[/QUOTE]

Poking with Crouch MK -> HK Spiral Arrow is a bread and butter combo for me.
My success has been mainly riding on switching up between that, Crouching HP -> Cannon Spike, and throws on wake-up.

I still haven't wrapped my head completely around FADCs yet.

GG's bs ur too good. I felt like i was giving you a run for ur money during some matches during those Hakan vs Cody shennanigans. I think i might have won 3 times out of the night. Also was suprised i did well with Ibuki, she is pretty tricky.

[quote name='ced']Poking with Crouch MK -> HK Spiral Arrow is a bread and butter combo for me.
My success has been mainly riding on switching up between that, Crouching HP -> Cannon Spike, and throws on wake-up.

I still haven't wrapped my head completely around FADCs yet.[/QUOTE]

I was talking more of the cr. lp, cr. lk, cr. lp -> HK spiral arrow. If you do mk -> and the mk block, you are going to get raped from the spiral arrow after its blocked as well. With the 3 crouching light moves it gives you 2 extra hits to get a hit confirm. if all the lights are blocked, you can switch the spiral arrow from a hk to a lk so you won't be punished when its blocked and get a little bit of chip damage.

link the light moves together takes a little practice, but its definitely worth it

Ill tell ya what made me good with dudley, but it requires either precise timing, or plinking a move during mid combo.

Jump in HK, kidney blow (F+MK), cr. lp, cr. lp, standing HK (plinked), EX machine gun blow, dash upper (2 hits)

my god does that stun and rape people two fold. If you are good with the EX MGB to dash straight punch, you can throw the Corkscrew punch in at the end of the combo for even more.

I'd tell you to also learn his overhead (F+HK) into either a standing HK (plinked) or a cr.lp to standing HK, into either a HP jet upper or HP/EX MGB which, again, leads to a dash and the Ultra II

Lots of GGs last night to GuardianE. You have no idea how happy it made me that Hawk's EX Spire goes OVER the beginning part of Cody's U2 & knocks him out of it :lol:.

I was kinda disappointed at myself for throwing so many unsafe headbutts though :cry:.

[quote name='Matt Young']Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh... Just deleted 6 people from my friend list and replaced them with CAGs. Now I have to find 2 more to delete to add Busta and PhrostByte. Wrestling thread forever!

Ya know, I think I can delete this EastX guy. Dude's a total tool. He's always talking about college, and becoming a teacher, and being a good father and stuff. Where are his priorities? I can't allow someone on my list who promotes higher education and family values. That's just too much.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. Only problem is I work till midnight. But if you're on after that, definitely throw me an invite.

[quote name='MtlTom']Lots of GGs last night to GuardianE. You have no idea how happy it made me that Hawk's EX Spire goes OVER the beginning part of Cody's U2 & knocks him out of it :lol:.

I was kinda disappointed at myself for throwing so many unsafe headbutts though :cry:.[/QUOTE]

Good games last night, Tom! Lots of fun. I laughed at that Cody disaster. I kept trying to grab that knife. :lol:

It took me a bit to adjust to Rawg after you pulled him out. Your main from Vanilla, maybe?

ran into 2 kens so for within like 4 matches. it seem like all they want to do is get a perfect and spam the same 3 moves...

oh and i downloaded the brawler pack ... do others see this?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GuardianE']Good games last night, Tom! Lots of fun. I laughed at that Cody disaster. I kept trying to grab that knife. :lol:

It took me a bit to adjust to Rawg after you pulled him out. Your main from Vanilla, maybe?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Rog is my main from Vanilla. Still playing him in SSF4 too (obviously). I'm working on Hawk & definitely picked up a few things last night.

[quote name='vrblknch']I need CAGs to friend me. Plan on beating down some folks with Sagat in a few hours...[/QUOTE]
Add CAG Fighter IV to your friend's list.

[quote name='PhrostByte']No doubt. Only problem is I work till midnight. But if you're on after that, definitely throw me an invite.[/QUOTE]

If/when I do sleep, I wake up between 5-6 P.M. Eastern, so that's no problem at all. I just sent a friend request.

Now, if only I could pull myself away from the reach beta to play anything else...

[quote name='shinryuu']ggs to guardianE. Yes, I play almost every character at a decent enough level.[/QUOTE]

Good games, shinryuu. I learned a lot. Thanks for the matches!

Gahhhh. Changing my previous stance on this game, simply because I have money to burn and want to play a new game.

Anywho, I played with the original SE Fight Stick in SFIV and loved using it for charge characters. But when I tried to use shoto characters, I was absolute ass and couldn't do anything from the 1 player side. Granted, it was the first time I'd ever played with a stick, but even after several hours, I couldn't do it. I ultimately returned the stick because of the quality issues that surfaced soon after release, and just bought a pad.

I'm probably going to buy the TE S Edition stick tomorrow along with a copy of SSFIV, but I was probably going to swap out the square gate with an octagonal one. I was wondering if this made it any more difficult to pull off moves with charge characters, or would it simply require some practice? I wanted to get the octagonal gate because I feel it be easier to pull off moves with shoto characters because of the extra directional paths.

Octagonal makes rolling moves easier to do. It's not bad for charge characters, but some people prefer squares. It's just a matter of preference.

You really need to have some stick-to-it-iveness if you're going to become proficient with a stick though. They're definitely superior to pads for fighting games, but you can't give up during the first month.

Also we have an arcade stick thread if you have more detailed stick questions.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242522

Gracias. I will copy and paste my post there as well.

A whole month? Jeez. I had no real issue with pulling off hadokens or shoryukens from the 2P side, because doing the motions from that side just seemed easier and WAY more natural. But from the 1P side, I had to use my wrist way more than I wanted to, where from the 2P side, I was doing a lot of "flicking" motions.

With sticks its just practice makes perfect. I never owned a stick until SFIV last February and was pretty horrible. Now i'd say I'm an alright player, and can pull off combos and even FADC sometimes. I'd say my worst motion would be dragon punch 2p side.

I had a few quick but good games with bs000 late Mon. night, early Tues. morning and had to leave before I got to play TooLateforRoses. I'll be on tonight around 11:30 pm EST for endless/team if anyone's up for it.

MtlTom, is there still a new character night tonight? If so, what time will you guys start?

I don't know what it is, but I'm not liking the movements on the d-pad. I'm not talking about the regular controller's d-pad. EastX sent me a Chun-Li SFIV controller. The button layout, of course, is much better. But I find that I have a much more difficult time pulling off movements, even the ridiculously easy hadouken motion, on the d-pad as opposed to the left analog stick.

i take that back, player quality has gone down some which is good

i think it was that at 1st a lot of hardcore 5k BP fans bought the game and now more casuals are getting into it. :)

of course the bosses suck and are OP still(akuma n seth stuff pisses me off!) ! but think it's meant to be that way hehe

[quote name='Matt Young']I don't know what it is, but I'm not liking the movements on the d-pad. I'm not talking about the regular controller's d-pad. EastX sent me a Chun-Li SFIV controller. The button layout, of course, is much better. But I find that I have a much more difficult time pulling off movements, even the ridiculously easy hadouken motion, on the d-pad as opposed to the left analog stick.[/QUOTE]

Did you get it from him new? I've found that sometimes you have to break them in a bit with play. Comparing my current Fightpad with one I recently bought on clearance, my execution is horrible with the newer pad.

There were also some Fightpads that simply had defective d-pads at launch, so you may want to plug her into a computer and use the gamepad properties to test out the inputs.

[quote name='wjhard63']I had a few quick but good games with bs000 late Mon. night, early Tues. morning and had to leave before I got to play TooLateforRoses. I'll be on tonight around 11:30 pm EST for endless/team if anyone's up for it.

MtlTom, is there still a new character night tonight? If so, what time will you guys start?[/QUOTE]

I think we played some matches in Endless monday night... some time this week anyway, so good games on those. I won't be able to get on tonight, I don't think. I'll hopefully be on most of tomorrow evening, though, if anyone's up for some rounds then.

Hey guys, I finally got my SE stick modded with some Seimitsu/Sanwa parts and am looking to play with some CAGers. I'm still pretty new to fighting games (and this is my first time using a stick), but would love to play with some friendly people willing to be patient with my inexperience.

I play way better from 2P side. 1P fireballs and dps are hard for me. I actually just double tap down-right to do dps. I wonder if that is because I always searched for games in SF4 and that makes you be 2P.

[quote name='GuardianE']
There were also some Fightpads that simply had defective d-pads at launch, so you may want to plug her into a computer and use the gamepad properties to test out the inputs.
[/QUOTE]

It wasn't new, no. I haven't tested it on anything else, but it worked fine for EastX, and I know he wouldn't have sold me a defective product. I think it's just me.

[quote name='Matt Young']It wasn't new, no. I haven't tested it on anything else, but it worked fine for EastX, and I know he wouldn't have sold me a defective product. I think it's just me.[/QUOTE]

The d-pad might be slightly larger than what you're used to. Some people claimed that they had to exaggerate their motions more. I'm sure you'll adjust pretty quickly with a little training mode practice.

I'm still up for a new-character night tonight. I'll probably hop on around 9PM EST.

Anyone that wants to join just add my GT or CAG Fighter IV.

I would be up for practicing with the new characters against people. I just got the game the other day and just messed around in training with Cody and Guy a little. I think I like them the best so far of the new group. Feel Free to add me.

bread's done
Back