Superman Collection

moonphrogg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Does anybody know of a deal out there for the superman movie collection? I know they're out of print, but I was hoping someone might know of some obscure store that didn't know what it had on it's hands. . .

I just hope I'm not stuck with ebay. or worse yet, amazon marketplace.

There's gotta be a new one on the horizon. . .anybody heard anything?

Its not out of print. You could probably find it at any best buy, target, or walmart. But you should probably wait for the new box set that was just announced anyways.

There is a new ultimate supreme boxset with all four of the original movies plus this time with better transfers (and I think each is getting it's own bonus disc of material) and it will also include the new Superman Returns and I think I remember readin that the Superman Returns production diaries would be apart of it as well.

[quote name='moonphrogg']Does anybody know of a deal out there for the superman movie collection? I know they're out of print, but I was hoping someone might know of some obscure store that didn't know what it had on it's hands. . .

I just hope I'm not stuck with ebay. or worse yet, amazon marketplace.

There's gotta be a new one on the horizon. . .anybody heard anything?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's a new set coming out in 11/28/06.

Source: Digital Bits.

Officially announced by Warner at Comic-Con is The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection box set for release on 11/28 (SRP $79.92).

This 8-disc set begins with a Superman: The Movie Four Disc Special Edition (SRP $39.92 if purchased separately), which will include BOTH the original 1978 and 2000 DVD versions of the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include new audio commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind on the theatrical version and the previous commentary by director Richard Donner and creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz on the 2000 DVD version, a music-only audio track on the 2000 DVD version, original trailers and TV spots, 3 documentaries (Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape), restored scenes, screen tests, additional music cues (audio only), the vintage The Making of Superman: The Movie TV special, the 1951 Superman and the Mole-Men feature film (starring George Reeves) and 9 of the original Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements (including Superman, The Mechanical Monsters, Billion Dollar Limited, The Arctic Giant, The Bulleteers, The Magnetic Telescope, Electric Earthquake, Volcano and Terror on the Midway).

The set continues with the Superman II: Two-Disc Special Edition (SRP $26.99 if purchased separately), which includes the film in anamorphic widescreen video and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary by executive producer Ilya Salkind and producer Pierre Spengler, 2 vintage TV specials (The Making of Superman II and Superman 50th Anniversary), the film's theatrical trailer, the First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series featurette and 8 more of the original Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements (including Japoteurs, Showdown, Eleventh Hour, Destruction, Inc., The Mummy Strikes, Jungle Drums, The Underground World and Secret Agent).

So this means that if you purchase the new 8-disc box set, or just the new DVD versions of the first two feature films, you'll be getting the ENTIRE Fleischer Studios animated Superman series - all 17 cartoons - looking better than you have EVER seen them, believe me. You'll be amazed at the quality of these things. The restoration work is spectacular.

Next up in the set is a Superman III: Deluxe Edition (SRP $19.97 separately), which will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary by executive producer Ilya Salkind and producer Pierre Spengler, the vintage The Making of Superman III TV special, additional scenes (not added back into the film) and the theatrical trailer.

Finally, the set will include Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (SRP $19.97 separately), which will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary by screenwriter Mark Rosenthal, additional scenes (not added back into the film) and the theatrical trailer.

Now then... you might be wondering what the deal is with that Donner cut of Superman II. It's NOT included in the box set. Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut will be available separately on 11/28 (SRP $24.98). This will include an all new 122-minute cut of the film (in anamorphic widescreen video) newly-created by its original director, Richard Donner. According to Warner's press release: "the “Donner cut” restores the Marlon Brando role, filmed for, but not included in the final theatrical release version of Superman II. The legendary Brando's performance as Jor-El has finally been restored in key scenes that amplify Superman lore and deepen the profound relationship between father and son. With so many other changes, large and small, including a variety of Lois Lane (Margot Kidder) schemes to unmask Clark Kent as Superman, this Superman II will prove to be an eye-opening experience and an important addition to film history." The new cut also features newly finished special effects and more. Extras on this DVD will include newly-recorded audio commentary by director Richard Donner and creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz, the Superman II: Restoring the Vision featurette and additional scenes not added back into the film.

Damn WB!!

I was expecting to have the Donner's cut to be available in the set!

Now ill also have to buy it separetly and pay more for it!

[quote name='JokerCard']Damn WB!!

I was expecting to have the Donner's cut to be available in the set!

Now ill also have to buy it separetly and pay more for it![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it pissed me off too. The original rumor was that it was going to be a massive 12 disc set which I think all of us would be fine with. Now, we have to buy both the box set and the Donner cut or buy 1 and 2 and miss out on the unintentional hillarity of Superman 3 and 4.

looks interesting my only issue is with dvd box sets in 2 years will there be a double dip on the entire set when the next one comes out.

Ah, i thought the set would have superman returns and maybe even supergirl in it. I don't ill be buying it then(especially without the donner cut), since i already have the last set.

Walmart has Superman I for $5.50 and Superman II for $5.88, if you want to have the original two while you are waiting for the new collection.

For the new boxset, does anybody know if Superman 3 is the theatrical version or the same version from the current boxset?

[quote name='S_G']For the new boxset, does anybody know if Superman 3 is the theatrical version or the same version from the current boxset?[/quote]

My guess is theatrical with extras.....

They've also listed "Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Boxed Set 13 Disc" to be released on December 4th, (although it is not yet available to pre-order) with the following details:
  • Superman:
  • Features both the 1978 original cut and the 2001 extended edition
  • Commentary from Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz
  • Archival footage
  • Additional scenes
  • Screen test
  • Superman II:
  • Features the Richard Donner Cut
  • Never before seen beginning
  • Never before seen resolution with 15 minutes of restored footage
  • Vintage TV specials
  • Superman II, III & Returns Special Features TBC
    This 13 disc monolith of a box set brings together Superman new and old in one fantastic boxed set. Featuring awesome special editions of the original four films plus the 2 disc version of Superman Returns this is the ultimate compendium for the true Superman fan.
    The boxed set comprises:
    1. Superman: The Movie - 4 Disc Special Edition
    2. Superman II - 3 Disc Special Edition
    3. Superman III - 2 Disc Deluxe Edition
    4. Superman IV - 2 Disc Deluxe Edition
    5. Superman Returns - 2 Disc Edition
Thanks to John Hatfield, Phil (Mindhavens), and Daniel McIntosh for the lead on these pre-orders.

bread's done
Back