Supreme Commander 2 - demo available now, release date: 03/02/2010

BattleChicken

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I don't have the patience to make a fancy picture-and-link laden post about it.. but when I saw that there isn't an existing thread for the successor to the fantastic, incredibly in-depth Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance, I wanted to put up a quick post about it, seeing as there is little promotion for the game by Square-Enix.

http://www.supremecommander2.com/

Supreme Commander 2 releases on March 2nd, 2010 - in less than a week! The demo is now available for download on Steam right now as well. It contains a tutorial and two missions from the UEF single player campaign - but no multiplayer or skirmish mode. It does a good job showing the revamped gameplay, however, and I recommend giving it a try.

Designed by Chris Taylor, and developed by Gaspowered Games, Supreme Commander 2 picks up 25 years after the events of Forged Alliance. The single player campaign follows a new group of characters who grew up in the peaceful time after the Seraphim defeat.

The gameplay mechanics and rendering engines have been completely rebuilt from the ground up, making Supreme Commander 2 feel very different, but at the same time familiar, to fans of the originals. The sense of scale is still there, while the game itself is much more accessible to new or casual RTS fans.

Links for news:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/01...reds-chris-taylor-chats-about-supreme-comman/
http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1072739p1.html

Please post if you intend to pick it up, and want to play some games with other CAGs!

Zzzzzz...z.....zzz....Free....zzzz...Legal.....No?....zzzzz

j/k :)

[quote name='Megazell']Zzzzzz...z.....zzz....Free....zzzz...Legal.....No?....zzzzz

j/k :)[/QUOTE]

Do I Have good news for you! The demo is both free AND legal! Also, I checked your thread and didn't see Dwarf Fortress.

edit: Ok.. dwarf fortress is there, but not a link to any builds with a tileset, and DF is more a simulation than a strategy game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded the demo but haven't had a chance to play it yet. No rush really since I have no time to play a retail copy anyway, so I can afford to wait for some kind of sale or price drop should I like it.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I downloaded the demo but haven't had a chance to play it yet. No rush really since I have no time to play a retail copy anyway, so I can afford to wait for some kind of sale or price drop should I like it.[/QUOTE]

Well, Steam is doing 10% off right now, and gamestop is still running a $10 off deal if you preorder it.

So, it's more on sale right now than it will be at release, I think.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Do I Have good news for you! The demo is both free AND legal! Also, I checked your thread and didn't see Dwarf Fortress.

edit: Ok.. dwarf fortress is there, but not a link to any builds with a tileset, and DF is more a simulation than a strategy game.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Check the 'Free And Legal PC Games' thread again for the response. Don't want to derail this thread.

I sometimes post DEMOs but only when it's a final outcome like 'Golaith' and a few others. If the full game requires a purchase it's a no go.

GL with this game though.

Amazon has a 15$ gaming credit for this. I'm assuming the retail CD key is redeemable on steam, since its got achievements and steamworks.

I liked the demo, aside from the fact I had to play it in windowed mode because I couldn't scroll down the list far enough to select the right resolution.

[quote name='Megazell']Zzzzzz...z.....zzz....Free....zzzz...Legal.....No?....zzzzz

j/k :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Megazell']Incorrect. Check the 'Free And Legal PC Games' thread again for the response. Don't want to derail this thread.

I sometimes post DEMOs but only when it's a final outcome like 'Golaith' and a few others. If the full game requires a purchase it's a no go.

GL with this game though.[/QUOTE]

Seriously trolling?

And you've already derailed with your comments.

As for the game, managed to pick it up when it dropped to 39.99 with the 15 GC. So I'll be playing hard, just hope my system can keep up, it's aging a little bit.

It's interesting that the game took this route, more of a AOE feel on upgrades in the battlement.

[quote name='xycury']Seriously trolling?

And you've already derailed with your comments.

As for the game, managed to pick it up when it dropped to 39.99 with the 15 GC. So I'll be playing hard, just hope my system can keep up, it's aging a little bit.

It's interesting that the game took this route, more of a AOE feel on upgrades in the battlement.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was just trying to bump the post in a humorous manner. I found part one to be decent enough for the price ($3.99).

Too many ppl taking games and the internet seriously as of late. Shameful.

[quote name='Megazell']Actually, I was just trying to bump the post in a humorous manner. I found part one to be decent enough for the price ($3.99).

Too many ppl taking games and the internet seriously as of late. Shameful.[/QUOTE]

I did ask if you were... ;) I don't take anything seriously.

I downloaded this as well, but when I'm done with Starcraft for the night, I'll play the demo. I hope my Pc can handle it.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I downloaded this as well, but when I'm done with Starcraft for the night, I'll play the demo. I hope my Pc can handle it.[/QUOTE]

Because of the revamped back end, Supcom 2 actually performs better than Supcom 1 on older systems.

Game is out now. Steam updates look like they're going to take forever.

Anyone have impressions yet? There have got to be TENS of CAGs who picked this up.

Just played a skirmish for my first game (besides the demo) and so far, I kinda wish I didn't get it. Maybe somethings will change if I looked over something.

There is only 1 map for 4v4 and it is pretty damn small to begin with it, the scale is WAY smaller then SC1, I mean like this big map for 8 players would have fit into SC1's 81km maps like 12 times.

Unless I am missing something and I know I have too be cause there are suppose to be way more experimentals then this, the only ones I came across in the skirmish to unlock were the same ones from the demo through the research trees. I said it before, but once more for the heck of it, even if these are "minor" experimentals they have no "epicness" to them, they are built extremely quick and are easy to kill.

The amount of AI selections for the cpu is much much smaller then the first SC. You get the easy/normal/hard AI selections and the only other alternatives you get are the same 3 but for them to "turtle" .

I'm hoping my opinion changes at least for the experimentals once I find were the "major" ones are. While I knew the scale of the game was scaled back some, I had no idea it was this big of a scale back.

I used my same basic strats from SC and they completely dominated in SC2 way to quickly, my navy was stupidly powerful cause they were ranking up so quickly just plucking off ground forces far from the shore, not to mention having their research upgrades.

Research, the idea is cool, but really it is just a third resource the way it is done and by the end of the skirmish I had every tree max'd out and still had a good amount of points, I had built like 6-8 research stations and it was just a joke. They really need to dramatically increase the cost of those stations.

Not getting it till tomorrow... but I did get it cheap and with the gc coming back, pretty sweet.

haven't played the demo...

but the above post has me worried...

Console-ized PC games :(

[quote name='xycury']Not getting it till tomorrow... but I did get it cheap and with the gc coming back, pretty sweet.

haven't played the demo...

but the above post has me worried...

Console-ized PC games :([/QUOTE]

That is exactly what it is, a consolized game. I'm not even getting into the general issues that most are having with the game like:

the now cookie cutter economy system instead of the original SC/TA one

factories pausing and not unpausing once they have the needed resources

can only queue up what you have the resources to actually buy at that moment

engineers don't assist the ACU and vice versa, hell can't even get more then a few engineers to work together to speed up building time (even though it isn't needed since you shit units out so unbelievably fast now

no more formations for when you move your units, they do an auto formation but Admiral/General Special School must be in charge cause for example if I select and send my subs, cruisers, and battleships to a destination the subs sit in the middle instead of infront of my ships to protect them from other incoming subs

aircraft are slow and dont (appear too from what I've seen so far) to land, so you can protect them at your base with force fields while you build up a large squadron

force fields you can no longer see the circle that they actually protect and since they are graphically hard to see it makes placing them a pain in the ass

you can turn on and off range of intel/type of weapons systems on the fly, need to pause the game and go to options to turn on or off

the map I played on for my skirmish wasn't very friendly for amphibious units that went under the water and came out on land, the enemy AI had built a experimental that can travel underwater and drive up on land, well over half the shoreline was a steep cliff that the unit (I watched it keeping my subs away) was trying to get up but couldn't, the only two spots on our side of the ocean/sea were the shores right next to enemy starting locations (the maps ocean was split in two due to land connecting two land masses)

Anyways, you get the idea, I was willing to forgive like 90% of this stuff even the new shitty cookie cutter economy system, but the scale down of the maps and the jokes they call experimentals has really pissed me off. One experitmenal though that was simply awesome for the LOL faction was the giant cannon that first tanks and other land units, it would launch like 20ish at a time but one but one in quick rapid succession, I kept doing it just cause it made me laugh a lot seeing tanks and artillery flying through the air hahah

I played four or five games last night, and I think I have my impressions.

If the game is compared to Forged Alliance, it doesn't hold a candle.. but Sup Com 2 isn't trying to be forged alliance - it's trying to be a regular RTS with a grander sense of scale.

So, instead of comparing the game to Forged Alliance, it is more apt to compare it to Starcraft, which has a similar pacing - in which case, it's still a bit of a disappointment.

The research points are a sore spot for me. At least with a game like Starcraft, if you see your enemy is teching to lurkers or dark templar, and you have no detection, you can go 'Oh shit', and get detection in a minute or two by making the requisite buildings. In Sup Com 2, I need to wait until I accumulate the research before I can counter a strategy. if I see that my enemy is making a nuke silo, I'm screwed if I didn't tech anti-nuke or have a ton of spare research points. It takes something like 25 points (guessing) to get to anti-nuke silos. If i spent none on that specific tree, I can't counter that strategy effectively without a lot more time than I probably have.

The game mechanics tie you down to your initial strategy. While that is an interesting concept, It makes your actual usage of your units less strategic - If i teched wrong, I'm dead.

I don't regret my purchase - for all my gripes, I still had a lot of fun playing with my friends last night - but I'm a little bit sad that they departed so drastically from what was an amazing formula when they made Supreme Commander 2.

i dont really understand what you mean when you say "if i teched wrong, i'm dead".

If you're a pure defensive player who likes to get hammered by the enemy until they've amassed a huge force, i could understand that comment. But really though, every side starts with an equal chance. How can you always "tech wrong" and the enemy cant, i guess is my point.

[quote name='qwerty1']i dont really understand what you mean when you say "if i teched wrong, i'm dead".

If you're a pure defensive player who likes to get hammered by the enemy until they've amassed a huge force, i could understand that comment. But really though, every side starts with an equal chance. How can you always "tech wrong" and the enemy cant, i guess is my point.[/QUOTE]

I think it may grow on me as I get used to it more. My irritation with it is how long it takes to shift gears. As I said above, if I do my job right, and scout the enemy and extrapolate their plans based on what they've built in pretty much any other RTS, I can use the tools my race has and build an effective counter to that strategy in reasonably short order.. whether it be detection, or a certain unit.

in Supcom2, If i do the same scouting, and see that they're doing something I can't currently handle, but - whoops - all my research points are gone, I won't necessarily have the tools to counter it even though I know what I need to do TO counter it.

Everyone is indeed in the same boat, and that makes the system fair. I'm just not sure if I like it, yet.

The last thing I'll bitch about is how every research option is instant. If I choose shielding for my ground units, and I have 400 ground units, Suddenly *poof* every one has shields.

Research is so.. instant.. that doesn't match the rest of the game well, in my opinion. I was hoping there would at least be a build time or something.. it is somewhat lame.

I enjoyed it.

Actually it's like a new game, not something that was just built upon the old.

I think the tech tree needs some study. Just too many options....

And the research points need to be tweaked. I built like 10 of those and got 8 points a minute. I was fully teched in around 30 minutes.

Definately one thing... games WON'T last 3 hours... tops will be 30-45 minutes. Which is a bonus I think.

I think most of the gripe is that everyone expected more of the same. And I'm glad they didn't do that.

The only gripe I have is that the economy won't let you use what you don't have... or won't put place holders and pause if you don't have the goods. Something to work on. there is a complete imbalance on energy over mass, which always is... but I always have plenty of energy.

bread's done
Back