Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Are Marshall - 9/10

Just like Invincible this is another story of courage and determination, I can't say anything bad about these kinds of movies. This movie however has tragedy in it which sucks. January Jones (What kind of name is that... ?) and Kimberly William-Paisley were a nice surprise too.

[quote name='naiku']Martyrs - The French are making the best horror films right now...by far. Last year we got Inside (Á l'intérieur), and a few years before that High Tension(Haute Tension), and Them(Ils) to name a few. They are definitely on the top of their game and have no signs of giving up their lead.[/QUOTE]

High Tension sucked there at the end.

[quote name='VipFREAK']You don't read reviews do ya... lol[/QUOTE]

Hah, well I wasn't expecting anything great from either, but even with low expectations I was pissed. O well.

Watchmen.

Total nerd b0n3r. It had a decent number of problems, but despite its shortcomings, it was a great adaptation. A lot gorier than the book, though...

Rorschach was badass.

[quote name='ihadFG']Watchmen. Amazing if you are a fan of the novel.[/quote]

I'm only halfway through the novel and my friend who went with me had never even heard of it. We both enjoyed it thoroughly.

[quote name='lawdood']I'm only halfway through the novel and my friend who went with me had never even heard of it. We both enjoyed it thoroughly.[/quote]

Yeah, my friends who I saw it with never read the novel and really enjoyed it as well. Although they did say they were confused for most of the movie, but by the end they mostly understood it.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, my friends who I saw it with never read the novel and really enjoyed it as well. Although they did say they were confused for most of the movie, but by the end they mostly understood it.[/quote]

From reading some of the reviews I expected it to be a lot more convoluted and hard to follow than it was since I hadn't finished the novel, I really didn't think it was. :???:

[quote name='edwardya']gonna bootleg watchmen, hehe.[/quote]
You should just go see it, its worth the cash.

When I left the theater a lot of people were raving about the doc's manhood as if they've never seen that stuff before. It was strange.

I haven't watched a movie since the middle of February, as I moved into a new apartment, and got behind in my movie watching. What a choice to return with...

The Unborn (2009)

Fucking terrible. Do not waste your time with this worthless crap. I've only seen 10 movies from 2009, but this is easily the worst.

The Wrestler (2008)

FINALLY saw this tonight. Sure, it's a great movie...but it's not the best film of the year, and I wouldn't even put it in my Top 10 for 2008. First off, Rourke's performance is wonderful, but if you truly can't understand Sean Penn winning the Oscar (for a better performance than Rourke), you either haven't seen Milk, or seriously hate Sean Penn. If it was up to me, Rourke wouldn't have even been nominated. To me, the five best male roles of 2008 were, Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon, Sean Penn in Milk, and Brian Cox in Red, (which hardly anyone seems to have even seen), with Pitt being my overall choice for Best Actor. Anyways, I loved the film, and have nothing negative to say about the film itself. It's just been overhyped to the max, like The Dark Knight.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Choke
Not only did this film drag on and on, it also failed to capture the frenetic pace of Palahniuk's novel. Skip the film, read the book.[/quote]

Great to know I'm in the process of reading it currently.

Watchmen - Not perfect but I loved it! :applause:

Watchmen

This movie was brutal to watch. I just kept watching and hoping it would go somewhere, but it didn't. It had some interesting parts, but I really didn't like it. There were a BUNCH of wierdos that came dressed up and an even larger amount had those stupid smiley face shirts.

I haven't been able to get to a proper Imax yet, but a watchmen t-shirt/smiley face shirt would be awesome! Anyone know where I can get one online?

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Watchmen
A great adaptation of the graphic novel. It did lack some crucial elements (ie newstand guy subplot), but the film did not disappont.[/quote]

Adding those little subplots would've made the movie drag more. It was a lenghty movie as it is. With that said Watchmen was great. One of the best comic book adaptations. However I think people who read the comic will defintaly enjoy it more.

I already talked to two people who had no prior knowledge of the comic watch the movie and dislike it.

\\:D/ for blue penis

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Ninja Scroll off of netflix instawatch. It was awesome. Great anime....suggest everyone watch it.[/quote]

Agreed I own the movie in DVD and UMD its that damn good one of my favorite animes of all time!

Jubei will fuck you up!

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I haven't been able to get to a proper Imax yet, but a watchmen t-shirt/smiley face shirt would be awesome! Anyone know where I can get one online?[/quote]

http://www.forbiddenplanet.com/categories/Family/840/Watchmen/Type/7/Clothing

http://astore.amazon.com/simmsspace_watchmen-20

Still Waiting (2009)

Direct-to-DVD sequel to 2005's Waiting. Usually these unnecessary direct-to-DVD sequels are complete crap, but this one wasn't that terrible. Mainly missing from the original cast are Ryan Reynolds, Dane Cook, and Anna Faris. Most of the rest of the cast are in it,
Justin Long
has a cameo, and added to the cast is the hilarious John Michael Higgins. I love that guy. If you really liked the original, and want more of the same, you might like this.

Sex Drive
Quarantine

I expected both to be giant piles of shit but they were surprisingly entertaining in their own right.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I haven't been able to get to a proper Imax yet, but a watchmen t-shirt/smiley face shirt would be awesome! Anyone know where I can get one online?[/quote]

If you check your friendly neighborhood Hot Topic you should find a boatload of Watchmen merch. The hoodie is especially cool.

Into the Wild--had seen it in the theater, but liked it just as much the second time. Great adaptation of one of my favorite books.

[quote name='bmachine']Sex Drive
Quarantine

I expected both to be giant piles of shit but they were surprisingly entertaining in their own right.

If you check your friendly neighborhood Hot Topic you should find a boatload of Watchmen merch. The hoodie is especially cool.[/quote]

My problem is that I can't really get to a Hot Topic, and their website doesn't seem to have all the merch. I was thinking that they'd probably have some good stuff for the movie, but alas, I can't get to an actual B&M location where I'm at.:cry::bomb:

(first post here) I saw Watchmen with 2 friends who read the novel, and they thought it was horrible. I thought half of it was ok (why was this movie nearly 3 hours???)

Watchmen IMAX. Full disclosure: I read the book a few months ago, wife read it in two days leading up to us seeing the movie, saw it with a friend who read it years ago. So I can't give you the newb perspective, but we all enjoyed it. The main things I had a problem with were the acting by Malin Akerman (who, to be fair, was not terrible as I was expecting) and Matthew Goode, and Zach Snyder's inexplicable love for extra gory slow-mo fights. Yes, the book is pretty violent in its own right, but it just felt silly here and really brought the story to a screeching halt every time a fight started up. But overall I was very pleased. The movie is most impressive in the opening credit montage, which gives you tons of backstory in a very effective, very stylish way, and Dr. Manhattan's origin flashback in the middle of the film, which could have easily been mishandled. Music choices were laughably obvious, but I think in some instances that was intentional. The performances by Patrick Wilson, Billy Crudup, and especially Jackie Earle Haley were uniformly excellent and really helped elevate the material.

I just don't know if you're really going to get this movie if you haven't read the book, though.

What Doesn't Kill You (2008)

A gritty, real, and based on true events crime drama, starring Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke as two childhood friends from South Boston that turn to crime as a way to get by. It doesn't break any new ground in the crime genre, but it's a good film, with a solid plot and quality performances. Blu-ray/DVD release date is April 28th, if you're interested.

[quote name='safire'](first post here) I saw Watchmen with 2 friends who read the novel, and they thought it was horrible. I thought half of it was ok (why was this movie nearly 3 hours???)[/quote]

Probably because the book is massive.

Hudson Hawk off of Netflix instawatch. Somehow strangely endearing. You've got a love a film where all the actors, director, etc. know it isn't exceptional, yet somehow imbue the film with a warmth and heart that few "snobbish good" films have. It's kitschy, and Willis certainly hams up the acting, but really entertaining.

[quote name='MisterModest']What Doesn't Kill You (2008)...

A gritty, real, and based on true events crime drama, starring Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke as two childhood friends from South Boston that turn to crime as a way to get by. It doesn't break any new ground in the crime genre, but it's a good film, with a solid plot and quality performances. Blu-ray/DVD release date is April 28th, if you're interested.[/quote]

Makes You Stranger!

(Sorry i couldnt resist lol)
:)

Two Lovers (2008)

Supposedly Joaquin Phoenix's last film. Well, what a terrific way to go out. A brilliantly sad drama and love and romance, but not your usual "romantic" film at all, and definitely not a "chick flick". I can't see many average women liking Phoenix's character's choices. Phoenix stars as a depressed young man, who falls in love with two women, the first girl (Vinessa Shaw) is a sweet and cute girl, who is in every way perfect for him, and his parents also think so. The second girl (Gwyneth Paltrow), is more wild and exciting than the first girl, but is mixed up with a married man, among other problems. Phoenix gives a wonderful performance, and if it wasn't for its badly timed release, I'd say Phoenix would have had a shot at an Oscar nomination for 2010's award ceremony, if this was released later this year. I'd love the irony of him getting nominated for his last film before quitting his acting career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back