Surround Sound AND Component Cables?

exRounder

CAGiversary!
I'm not one of the lucky few who nabbed the component cables on the Nintendo site nor one of the impatient (many?) who got them off ebay auctions, I do plan on getting some whenever they do come around.

My question though is how do you get both composite cables and surround sound at the same time? Including the 360, this would be my second foray into a decent gaming set-up. With the 360, there's the little cable you buy separately (name escapes me at the moment) that plugs into the slot on the base of the component cable and goes to your surround sound receiver while the actual cables got to the television.

As far as I know, the Wii doesn't have a slot for that little cable for surround sound. Since the receiver doesn't have slots for component cables, they'd have to go directly to the TV but the TV is far away enough that the sound component cables can't feed back to the receiver. How do you use both component cables and surround sound in that situation?

If the wording's unclear, please tell me. I'm not so sure myself when it comes to A/V stuff.

Thanks!

You're talking about Dobly Digital. It's where the audio signal is either optical (light) as in the 360, or sometimes coaxial for other A/V equipment.

Wii, same as Gamecube, uses Dolby Pro Logic II. That means that it sends surround data on the plain L and R audio cables and a Dolby Pro Logic II capable receiver converts it to surround sound.

Here's Dolby's page on it.

So where would each cable go? Do the L and R cables (Yellow and White?) still havr to go to the receiver while the rest go to the TV? I'm not sure I get it. Thanks for the help already but can you help me at what I don't understant. Thank you.

Usually you can also 'peel' cables back to separate the connections from each other. Just pull them apart and send the audio to the receiver.

bread's done
Back