Surround Sound for Gamecube?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Is there any way to get this? I have the component cable but it is just red and white audio, not an optical cable or anything for 5.1. Can it be done? I keep hearing that games like Resident Evil 4 sound great in 5.1 but I don't think it's possible unless there is some cable I'm unaware of...

If you plug the A/V cables into a receiver that supports 5.1 the gamecube will output 5.1 surround sound if the game supports it. I currently have my cube hooked up this way and it works in surround sound.

[quote name='flybrione']If you plug the A/V cables into a receiver that supports 5.1 the gamecube will output 5.1 surround sound if the game supports it. I currently have my cube hooked up this way and it works in surround sound.[/QUOTE]

Yes but the rear channels are MONO...

Unless your receiver supports DPROII

Prologic II...

[quote name='sirhc-']Gamecube doesn't support DD 5.1 sound. It does use Dolby Prologic II a sort of 5.1 but not true 5.1. If your reciever supports it that's as close as you'll get to surround sound on gamecube.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_II.html

for more info.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct sir. This is truley what it supports and to get it to support this feature you need to hook it up to a receiver that can output prologic which mine does. Thanks SIRHC for explaining it better.

The bottom line: yes, plug in those rca red/white cables, make sure the game audio is set to surround/5.1 and your reciever is set to surround/5.1 and you will hear it as such.

(This is supersimplified and can easily spiral into 10 pages of discussion)

OK, I am running everything through a switcher so should I plug the red/green/blue video cables in the switcher and the red/white audio into my receiver and make sure the receiver is on "Input 3" or whatever for sound? Right now I'm only getting sound out of my TV...

yes but if "input 3" has a vidoe input then it will probably switch to that...

Unless you are running your switcher for video direct to your TV.

[quote name='Snake2715']yes but if "input 3" has a vidoe input then it will probably switch to that...

Unless you are running your switcher for video direct to your TV.[/QUOTE]

yeah, everything goes through the switcher - cable box, PS2, gamecube, xbox 360, etc. Actually, I have my xbox 360 hooked up to the switcher via the HD cable (red/blue/green video) and the optical cable goes straight to my receiver so it should work for the gamecube the same way, right?

Thanks!

OK, so if I hook up my gamecube through a switcher can I get "surround sound" (or whatever it's called for GCN)?

I go from my Gamecube to my switcher to my receiver to my tv. Is that the proper setup? I'm thinking no because for mycablebox and xbox 360 I have separate optical cables going from them directly to my receiver and bypassing the switcher entirely (video is still handled by the switcher though)..

Any thoughts?

Yeah, what everyone said.

Mine goes, Cube (video) directly to display, Cube (audio) directly to receiver. It works great! Test the 5.1 with Star Wars: Rogue Leader or Soul Calibur II, both discs contain sound tests. Proper audio setup makes a huge difference when playing!

I have a question about this, as well.

My Gamecube is currently connected to my television (audio as well) via a universal s-video cable. My receiver is compatible with Dolby Pro LOGIC II, but it has no option to enable it, will it simply detect the signal from the television and output it that way? ... or must I have the audio cables plugged into the receiver?

[quote name='javeryh']OK, so if I hook up my gamecube through a switcher can I get "surround sound" (or whatever it's called for GCN)?

I go from my Gamecube to my switcher to my receiver to my tv. Is that the proper setup? I'm thinking no because for mycablebox and xbox 360 I have separate optical cables going from them directly to my receiver and bypassing the switcher entirely (video is still handled by the switcher though)..

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Since it's only PLII, yes, it'll carry over fine. PLII audio can be carried via any standard red/white cables for fake surround sound (yes, it it 5.1 with PLII, but no where near as good as DD).

[quote name='yukine']I have a question about this, as well.

My Gamecube is currently connected to my television (audio as well) via a universal s-video cable. My receiver is compatible with Dolby Pro LOGIC II, but it has no option to enable it, will it simply detect the signal from the television and output it that way? ... or must I have the audio cables plugged into the receiver?[/QUOTE]

PLII doesn't require any special cables, just any ordinary red/white RCA audio cables (like the ones included with the GC). PLII receivers are always on 5.1 surround whether they're getting stereo signal or a surround signal.

Note to both of you: make sure you enable surround sound on your games!:) Star Wars RSIII has the best surround sound example when you turn it on (you'll hear a tie fighter fly around you). Prime 1 & 2 and RE4 sound the best though- definitely worth the bit of error.

[quote name='Vinny']Since it's only PLII, yes, it'll carry over fine. PLII audio can be carried via any standard red/white cables for fake surround sound (yes, it it 5.1 with PLII, but no where near as good as DD).

PLII doesn't require any special cables, just any ordinary red/white RCA audio cables (like the ones included with the GC). PLII receivers are always on 5.1 surround whether they're getting stereo signal or a surround signal.

Note to both of you: make sure you enable surround sound on your games!:) Star Wars RSIII has the best surround sound example when you turn it on (you'll hear a tie fighter fly around you). Prime 1 & 2 and RE4 sound the best though- definitely worth the bit of error.[/QUOTE]

Woot! Thanks for answering my question.

I don't have III, but from what I can remember, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II supports it right?

I would love to hear my PS2/Xbox games in true Dolby Surround Sound, but my receiver isn't compatible with the optical toslink cables, only optical coaxial cables. :(

bread's done
Back