Sushi!!!!!!

Had sushi last night and today for lunch :shock:

Today I had my usual bbq eel roll and shrimp tempura roll, but also got a vegetable roll that had carrots, cucumber, and pickle. I'm stuffed but it was delicious! :bouncy:

Made my pilgramage to Kotobukiya in Cambridge. Ahh so good and cheap! Got my usual eel roll, tuna roll, also shrimp, eel, and yellowfish nigiri. It wasn't too busy so I could take my time and enjoy it.

Then I raided the market and stocked up on lots of food and snacks. I rarely am able to visit Kotobukiya so I have to take full advantage while I'm there.

Contemplated on some tapicha (bubble tea), but passed. Maybe next time...

sorry bro being a southern man i only eat fish fried and breaded and sometimes both. the only condiments i use with said fish tend to be tartar sauce or hotsauce and mustard. all kinds of fish are welcome to this treatment but i prefer catfish. i still want to try shark though theres a few places here locally that sell it and alligator meat. i want to try that too. oh yeah im afraid to eat sushi since i hear it can give you worms if youre not used to eating it.

[quote name='lokizz']sorry bro being a southern man i only eat fish fried and breaded and sometimes both. the only condiments i use with said fish tend to be tartar sauce or hotsauce and mustard. all kinds of fish are welcome to this treatment but i prefer catfish. i still want to try shark though theres a few places here locally that sell it and alligator meat. i want to try that too. oh yeah im afraid to eat sushi since i hear it can give you worms if youre not used to eating it.[/quote]

Fried fish is delicious but it is nothing like sushi. You should really try it if you get a chance - don't go to a shitty place though or else you might get turned off of it forever. I've had shark - it's pretty good. I've never tried alligator but I would in a second if I had the chance.

[quote name='javeryh']Fried fish is delicious but it is nothing like sushi. You should really try it if you get a chance - don't go to a shitty place though or else you might get turned off of it forever. I've had shark - it's pretty good. I've never tried alligator but I would in a second if I had the chance.[/quote]

i may do it someday. damn stuff is everywhere and in alot of anime. and since ive been watching food network i wont lie i am pretty curious about it........

[quote name='lokizz']i may do it someday. damn stuff is everywhere and in alot of anime. and since ive been watching food network i wont lie i am pretty curious about it........[/quote]

I have to concur with Javery (great topic by the way, J)...you absolutely MUST go to a good sushi/Japanese restaurant. Don't even think about going to lousy one or all you can eat one. Uggh.

HOWEVER, that being said, some of the best sushi restaurants, with the absolute freshest fish and best sushi chefs/cutters, are often total in or look like total shithole locations. Just as some of the trendiest/"hottest" spots are pretty "meh".

So while you can't judge a book by its cover on this cuisine in terms of quality, you have to be very cautious. Best way to find a great spot is word of mouth, or even Zagat's which has tended to be reliable, at least for me. Also, the farther you get from the coasts and major cities, the harder it is to find good sushi.

[quote name='karkyco']HOWEVER, that being said, some of the best sushi restaurants, with the absolute freshest fish and best sushi chefs/cutters, are often total in or look like total shithole locations. Just as some of the trendiest/"hottest" spots are pretty "meh".[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better. My favorite sushi place ever is a little hole in the wall and I've eaten at all the big trendy places in NYC.

I'm bringing this shit back yo. I'm headed out for some sushi in a few minutes if I can ever get out of the office. I'm thinking some eel and yellowtail with some spicy sauce and maybe a dragon or rainbow roll.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

[quote name='javeryh']I'm bringing this shit back yo. I'm headed out for some sushi in a few minutes if I can ever get out of the office. I'm thinking some eel and yellowtail with some spicy sauce and maybe a dragon or rainbow roll.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:[/QUOTE]

Sushi would've been good had I thought about it earlier. I'll probably have some over the weekend as I just ate a completely unhealthy but tasty homemade burrito and some tacos now. :drool::whistle2:# And I doubt I'll eat anything else tonight - I'm full. And seeing my earlier posts from 3 yrs ago freaks me out. Hard to believe this thread has been around for that long. :lol:

Thanks for bringing this thread back... now I really want sushi. Crap.

But, in response to the OP. I'd have to say that - if the Sushi is good enough it does not need either.

I have a love hate relationship with wasabi and soy sauce. I like them for what they are, but they cover up the taste of the sushi.

and yellowtail ftw

When I was in Japan a couple months ago we had sushi for breakfast at one of the many small restaurants at the large fish market in Tokyo. It was a chef's choice of the freshest sushi anyone will ever have (it comes off the boat that morning and on your plate hours later)

dscn6015c.jpg

When that one was put on the counter in front of us it was still moving. Not sure what it was. but it was there in front of us pulsating. We just ate it and tried not to think about it, then washed it down with beer.

Good times.

[quote name='Lord Jezo']When I was in Japan a couple months ago we had sushi for breakfast at one of the many small restaurants at the large fish market in Tokyo. It was a chef's choice of the freshest sushi anyone will ever have (it comes off the boat that morning and on your plate hours later)

dscn6015c.jpg

When that one was put on the counter in front of us it was still moving. Not sure what it was. but it was there in front of us pulsating. We just ate it and tried not to think about it, then washed it down with beer.

Good times.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome. The fist meal I have in Japan (if I ever make it there) is going to be some raw as a mofo sushi.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I love sushi but I won't ever put soy sauce or wasabi on mine. It's an absolute no-no according to true sushi chefs!

http://www.nbcdfw.com/around_town/d...__That_s_a_Sushi_No-No_Dallas-Fort_Worth.html[/QUOTE]

"Absolute no-no" is a bit strong; it's more like "recommended". For many sushi, it makes sense not to include soy sauce or wasabi. For example, you shouldn't use soy sauce on unagi since it's already got a sweet sauce that is meant to complement the natural flavor & texture of the eel. For many nigiri sushi, it makes sense not to add wasabi because it's already got wasabi in it (primarily used to hold the meat and rice together like a glue).

The only reason anyone should put soy sauce or wasabi is to enhance the flavor or increase its spiciness. Even then, it's 'recommended' to put the wasabi on the edge of a tiny pool of soy sauce so that the soy sauce's spiciness increases as minutes go by. This is in contradiction to what I notice most people I've eaten with do - take a clump of wasabi paste and put it dead center in the soy sauce pool.

But I don't think it's a serious enough reason to deny yourself soy sauce or wasabi if it might make a particular sushi piece more tasty. And besides, if you're gonna be a true sushi connoisseur, true sushi chefs also say you shouldn't use chopsticks, use only your hands (and with a specific way to pick up the pieces as well), and only dip the sushi meat-side down. But it's not gonna make anyone wail & cry in anguish if you do things differently. :razz::lol:

Anyway, my friend & I gorged on sushi on Saturday. 3 orders of unagi maki, 1 alaskan maki, 1 rainbow, and a restaurant-featured sweeter-than-unagi 'pink salmon cappuccino' :drool: That means I've had my fix and won't be needing it for another 2 weeks. :bouncy:

From what I've been told wasabi also helps to kill viruses that may be in the raw fish. I use both wasabi & soy sauce sparingly depending on the type of sushi. If it's a cheaper cut of fish like toro then I use soy sauce. The more expensive stuff (otoro,uni) I eat as is.

And jaykrue is correct. In Japan they don't normally use chop sticks to eat sushi. There's nothing wrong with it but I think it's become more of an international obsesion to eat all asian food with chop sticks. I find it funny to see people struggling to put a peice of sushi in their mouth when it's perfectly fine to simply use your hands.

[quote name='Rodimus']From what I've been told wasabi also helps to kill viruses that may be in the raw fish.[/QUOTE]

It does, but you won't catch me missing my toothbrush time.:lol:

A new sushi restaurant opened up in town that I finally tried - I'm so disappointed. THey were really stingy on the fish and their Alaska roll came with COOKED tuna? WTF is that??? I might need to go grab some for lunch today at a more reliable place to get the bad taste out of my mouth...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I go out for sushi at least once a week. I love unagi...[/QUOTE]

I heard that. I don't always eat sushi, but when I do, I eat unagi.

bread's done
Back