Swapping games and returning the other?

ubernes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry if this has been asked or belongs somewhere else (I did a search on "returns" and nothing game up).

My question is...I bought a game from Amazon, but do not want to wait until it arrives. Would I be able to buy a copy from a local store and then use that receipt to return the Amazon copy when it gets here?

Not sure how it works with bar codes and the like, and figured someone here would have more experience in this. Thanks.

I have done this several times with B&M chains. You can do it, however, you need to be absolutely sure that you are getting the exact same product in the exact same condition. I would try to find the UPCs and pictures and make sure they match. If they are not identical, they not only would they not take the return, but if they did that would constitute a fraud case.

So you're buying two copies of the same game. One from a B&M store like Best Buy and another from Amazon since it's cheaper, what you want to do is return the same game that you will get from Amazon in about a week to Best Buy. If that is the case, you should be able to do this, since the UPC and everything else should be the same you shouldn't have a problem. Though some might call you out on fraud since you're not actually returning the copy you got from the local store but otherwise it's the same thing.

I have too many games or I would do this to play my MK vs. DCU (PS3) that I ordered that is now in holding while they get more Rambo Blu-ray's in because of the whole "group all items into as few shipments as possible" bs (I have to wait till about Dec. 20th). As long as it has the same UPC and you really need to play it then I dont see a problem.

Yea it works and this shouldn't be fraudulent nor frowned upon considering it's talked about here everyday. Now if you were doing something blatent like bought the game on black friday or something for dirt cheap then going to other stores to do no reciept returns that'd be different.

[quote name='jaysapathy']In before a moderator locks the thread due to "return fraud discussion"![/quote]If it's the exact same title, down to the UPC code and contents, and it's unopened, you can return the game to a store you bought it at previously, if you have a receipt for it.

Perfect example:
Buy Game X from Best Buy for $60 on 11/20/08
Buy Game X from Amazon.com for $40 on 11/22/08
Game arrives on 11/28/08
Return Game X to Best Buy with receipt on 11/29/08

That isn't return fraud, as you bought it in two places with receipts.

Doing a no receipt return to Store B for $60 worth of credit when you bought it at Store A for $20, and only bought a single copy, yes, that's return fraud.

Aside from "can't wait to play" syndrome, this is also a good way to do a psuedo post-purchase price match.

If you bought a game at full price, then a week later it's on sale somewhere else, simply buy it again at the cheaper place and return it to the original store with your receipt from the original purchase.

Always remember to keep your receipts, they fit nicely in the game case. It's also nice to see how little you paid for a game 3 years later...

i dont think theres anything wrong with this. maybe just the fact that you cant wait, maybe theres something wrong with you :)

but i have done this in the past specifically at target when they had all those episode 1 star wars legos. i bought a bunch but then after the holidays, they were all on clearance for some reason so i bought whatever i could and returned the ones i bought before later. i came back 2 weeks later and the ones i returned were still there, so i bought them as well :).

Its UPC meaning Universal Product Code... so normally that product is the same barcode at all stores... there are exceptions... take for example Wall E at Target a few weeks back on Bluray.. you got a free tree and they had a sticker on the back covering the original UPC with a new one... that will not work if you had a same copy and tried to use your original receipt..

So if its apples to apples it always works if within the return period and you have a receipt. I have done it numerous times on a price match issue etc.

I am still shocked by the amount of times this gets asked.

[quote name='Kerig']Aside from "can't wait to play" syndrome, this is also a good way to do a psuedo post-purchase price match.

If you bought a game at full price, then a week later it's on sale somewhere else, simply buy it again at the cheaper place and return it to the original store with your receipt from the original purchase.

Always remember to keep your receipts, they fit nicely in the game case. It's also nice to see how little you paid for a game 3 years later...[/quote]

same thing, i keep the receipts in the back of the game case behind the manual doesn't bother anyone and its nice to see how little you paid.

bread's done
Back