Swapping shells on GBA SP... anyone?

PleasantOne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I decided to pick up one of the GBA SP2's, after realizing how truly crappy games look on my GBA SP :lol: I really like the flame red shell of my old SP, though, and would like to swap the shells.

Has anyone here changed the shell on a GBA SP before? Is it difficult or easy? I found a few web pages about doing it, but I always trust CAG opinion more than random google results...

Also, does anyone know if there are any issues when changing between an SP and SP2 case? I'm not sure just how different the screens are on the inside, so I'm not sure what to expect...

[quote name='banpeikun']seems like someone asked this... but it was years ago :/[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I did a quick search and didn't see anything... I'll poke around a bit more and check... thanks :)

Thanks so much for the link... #94 says they changed the molding of the cases... but I didn't see anyone confirm that... perhaps I'll crack them open and look for myself - just need my triwing screwdriver to get here...

Otherwise, I think I will take this case and repaint it. I went all over town looking for a store that had one in graphite or platinum... and I decided I'd even settle for the frigging pearl blue if I could find one in great condition, but no dice...

One looked like some kid had been using it to teethe :whistle2:| Kids today! :p

I would love to swap out my light blue case on my SP2 for one of those NES retro style GBA SPs. That would be awesome.

PleasantOne- Let us know if the cases are the same or not. If they are I could probably buy a broken SP off ebay with the NES case and swap the case on my SP2.

Yeah, I really wouldn't believe one unconfirmed comment about the case being different, unless it was from someone like strell. Is there a platinum SP2?

It seemed like there was a platinum, from what people were saying...

I ended up picking up some spray paint... I plan to sand and spray the case if I can't swap them.... then give it a clear coat - hopefully that will wear better than whatever paint Nintendo used on this. I wouldn't mind the pearl blue if it wasn't so badly worn off in so many places.

Just need the screwdriver now...

gbai.jpg

My triwing came today. Whoever said Nintendo changed the cases on the new model was WRONG... hurray! Now I have a nice, bright, non-pastel GBA SP, that doesn't look like small children were chewing on it :)

niiice. good job. you should take some pictures of the dismantling process to show what it looks like when you're switching.

I really should have #-O I used this tutorial, though: http://www.greatgalaxies.com/gbarevive

Which was very accurate... and the shells on both models are identical. The only thing I would add is that the hardest part is reattaching the screen ribbon to the main board. Thankfully I don't think the ribbon is THAT fragile, or I probably would have broken it trying to get it back together :p

Also, I'd add, be careful after taking off the main board... the buttons on the case will all fall off when it's flipped over.... just be ready so they don't fly everywhere and get lost!

I'm bidding on a graphite with broken buttons but a scratch-free screen. I'll take pictures if I get it and stick it on the NES GBA SP.

sweet! Broken buttons, though - is that the buttons themselves or they mean pushing them doesn't work?

The main boards look exactly the same, but I have no idea if the stuff powering the screen is any different. I would suspect not, but I don't know. I swapped out the board and screen on mine.

been wanting to do this to my nes sp as well but I'm scared. did you have to tear/rip up those 5 rubber screw placements on the screen face?

I pried them out with a very small flat tip screwdriver, and they were undamaged. At one point one did fly across the room and I was afraid I'd lost it (the only hitch in the whole process), but luckily I found it after some searching. They aren't hard to get out, though (at least mine weren't), so don't let that stop you!

bread's done
Back