Sweet deal on a NES top loader

i don't know.

i was tracking toploaders about 3 months ago for a friend, and a toploader, two controllers, and 4 games were averaging out to 35-40 bucks. granted some of the games were real losers, but some were insane.

and that's an average, too. sometimes they'd sell a lot more in one for not a lot higher end price.

i don't mean to be a thread crapper, but i'm not convinced that it's that cheapass of a deal.

[quote name='TBroo']i don't know.

i was tracking toploaders about 3 months ago for a friend, and a toploader, two controllers, and 4 games were averaging out to 35-40 bucks. granted some of the games were real losers, but some were insane.

and that's an average, too. sometimes they'd sell a lot more in one for not a lot higher end price.

i don't mean to be a thread crapper, but i'm not convinced that it's that cheapass of a deal.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but you are welcome to go on Ebay and search for Top Loader and look at the actual Nintendo brand top loaders and check total prices. :)

Toploaders have dropped in price ever since the third-party NES systems have shown up on the market. Personally, I still want to find a genuine toploader and get it modded with composite inputs since that is what has always kept me from getting one....RF inputs are just too crappy.

[quote name='secretvampire']Toploaders have dropped in price ever since the third-party NES systems have shown up on the market. Personally, I still want to find a genuine toploader and get it modded with composite inputs since that is what has always kept me from getting one....RF inputs are just too crappy.[/QUOTE]

I agree, they don't pull the $$$ like they used to, but it's nice to have a genuine top loader.

[quote name='KingofGames']Damn you, Kuros! I have a Top Loader that I'm looking to unload and I would have gladly sold it for $55 shipped. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I would have taken it. :whistle2:(

I think some of them work well, but for the most part, they're glitchy and don't run the games smoothly. Keep in mind, this is only from one review I read of one of the bootlegs.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']Are those 3rd party ones any good?[/QUOTE]

Some are good, some arent from what I heard.

The 3rd party ones are not that bad. Just get a good brand and you should be fine. The best 3rd party maker of the NES is Yobo. They are the largest importer into America, and they have since fixed a lot of the glitches. You will know if you are getting a good one from Yobo if the games face towards you when inserted into the console. If you see one or get one where the games face away from you when in the console then you got one of the junky ones.

I have a "junky" Yobo (cart faces away) and a new Yobo (carts face towards you). Both work exactly the same and both run every NES game I have with no problems.

I'm just happy that the new third party NES clone systems are readily available now. Original NES toploaders have been ridiculously over-priced for far too long, and I'm happy to pay half to a quarter the price of a used NES toploader for a decent third party alternative, brand new at that.

[quote name='Kuros']That's fine, but you are welcome to go on Ebay and search for Top Loader and look at the actual Nintendo brand top loaders and check total prices. :)[/QUOTE]

i was talking about actual nintendo ones, not the others.

i can see how you could make that assumption, though.

[quote name='secretvampire']Toploaders have dropped in price ever since the third-party NES systems have shown up on the market. Personally, I still want to find a genuine toploader and get it modded with composite inputs since that is what has always kept me from getting one....RF inputs are just too crappy.[/QUOTE]

Let me know if you pull off the modding- I'd love to my toploader to have composite inputs. (My greatest cheapass buy- found mine at a yardsale, sans hookups, for $5. Nabbed leftover controllers/ RFs from other Nintendos had in the past, bought a power supply... I think I got all set up for about $10, $15 total.)

[quote name='meteors']I have a "junky" Yobo (cart faces away) and a new Yobo (carts face towards you). Both work exactly the same and both run every NES game I have with no problems.[/QUOTE]

maniac mansion and castlevania 3 draculas curse do not work on my yobo neo fami :whistle2:/

i have a couple hundred other games that worked no problem.

It doesn't even have the cords! Not worth it, it is incomplete. How are you supposed to get the cords now? This is a problem that I have also. Everyone gives me their old NES units (4 originals & 1 top-loader) and none of them have the hookups. I'm ready to throw them away because they're useless.

[quote name='Rayray']It doesn't even have the cords! Not worth it, it is incomplete. How are you supposed to get the cords now? This is a problem that I have also. Everyone gives me their old NES units (4 originals & 1 top-loader) and none of them have the hookups. I'm ready to throw them away because they're useless.[/QUOTE]

as for not having the cords: the av cords are just standard av composite cords, the ac adapter you can get from nintendo.com or probably lik-sang.com or if all else fails, ebay

I am also curious to this mod for the top loader. If anyone knows where on the web it is shown, please post. I may now have a new project to look in to and up until now just never thought of it.

[quote name='Rayray']It doesn't even have the cords! Not worth it, it is incomplete. How are you supposed to get the cords now? This is a problem that I have also. Everyone gives me their old NES units (4 originals & 1 top-loader) and none of them have the hookups. I'm ready to throw them away because they're useless.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo TV hookups are fairly universal- just get a nintendo-brand RF for SNES or Gamecube and it'll be fine. the AV is a standard cords (like was already mentioned.)

The AC adapters are a bit harder to come by, but most places that sell NES games usually have the cords. Or you could go Ebay. Or you could just get the power stats and find another A/V wit the same current and polarity.

It's not THAT hard if you're willing to poke around a bit...

Don't throw them away, sell at least the toploader to me for a little more then shipping :D

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to try to score the cords now via a website. As far as selling the top-loader, that would be the one I'd keep if I do get the cords, sorry man. Don't you all wish that you bought the top-loaders when they were in stores for $49.99? I know I do.

thanks for the info as well.. if anyone could share their thoughts on the 3rd party ones that they own/like, that'd be really helpful..

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Let me know if you pull off the modding- I'd love to my toploader to have composite inputs. (My greatest cheapass buy- found mine at a yardsale, sans hookups, for $5. Nabbed leftover controllers/ RFs from other Nintendos had in the past, bought a power supply... I think I got all set up for about $10, $15 total.)[/QUOTE]
Here's how to do the mod, http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm

I sold off my top-loading NES long ago and replaced it with an old boxy NES from a local video game shop. Lines in the RF output (a common problem with the toploaders), and the standard NES has a/v connectors. When you've got a big-ass projection screen RF looks like utter crap (and in my case, has to be run through the VCR as well).

I didn't feel like tearing it apart and trying to do the composite mod on it.

bread's done
Back