Swimming pool algae question

jimbodan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
I was hoping maybe someone here knows something about swimming pools, or maybe a good message board for pool questions? I googled swimming pool message boards and only found 1 that looked decent. Anyway, here is my question:

I have a question about Black Algae. Every year when my family goes to clean our grandparents pool there is this black build-up on the walls and ground of the pool. We think it is Black Algae, but we are no experts and aren't 100% sure. I took some photos and I was hoping maybe someone could tell me for sure exactly what this stuff is. It is EXTREMELY hard to brush off, I was scrubbing it very hard with a bleach mixture and it was barely comming off in some spots, and in others it wouldn't come off at all. I don't want to waste a bunch of money on Black Algae treatments only to find out later on that this is something else.

Here are the pictures:

Any help as to what exactly this stuff and how to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows any good swimming pool message boards to post this question at, that would help also.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Have you tried a nice powerful heat lamp followed by heavy bleaching?[/QUOTE]

Nope, so far we've just tried bleach mixed with water and chlorine mixed with water. It really wasn't getting the job done too well, so I figured I might as well find out exactly what this stuff is

I would take those pictures to a pool store, and ask them there. Kinda silly but it would work. Other than that, I guess your best route would to be research all the different kinds of algae that can develop, and then try to find out which one you have. I don't think there'd be a huge demand for swimming pool forums. :)

bread's done
Back