Switch OLED Model Announced

I'm not buying another Switch until its upgraded to 4k and maybe more powerful. With the way Nintendo is going, that just might be their next gen system by them since they don't want to upgrade the Switch in a serious way.
New Nintendo Switch U Deluxe 32GB edition

New Nintendo Switch U Deluxe 32GB edition
As bad as that is, it's better than the way MS went with naming their xbox systems after the original.

I would hope they would go the Sony route and just name it Nintendo Switch 2 (of course they won't). Let the Switch brand live on from here forward.

I thought the price was going to be a lot higher than $349. I'm on the fence of preordering, since I mostly play docked but that new screen does look nice.

Well no reason for me to upgrade, since I play docked 99% of the time. I guess the built in ethernet (finally) is nice, but I already have an adapter for my Switch, so whatever.

Easy pass for me. Give me a dock only, non portable Switch with more power (something like the Vita TV). I don't play games handheld or when I'm away from home. So I would rather play my first party Nintendo games with better resolution & performance on my TV. Here's hoping when they release their current gen machine that's an option. It's Nintendo so that will stay a pipe dream. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness the Switch finally caught up with the PS Vita by adding an OLED screen. Hard pass since I play docked.

I think you can blame the lameness on a chip shortage. Nintendo didn’t announce this at e3 likely because they were still sorting things out or they new it’s lameness would kill their amazingly hyped up e3 (the software was pretty great).

Wouldn’t shock me if they did a more powerful update with new bodies next year.

I'm pre-ordering it once it goes live. The Ethernet cord is a big upgrade for not laggy gaming and the OLED screen is a big improvement over the original. Plus the white model matches my PS5 and 360 in the entertainment center. Plus it's good they didn't improve it too much so that it's BC with all software. Thank you Nintendo. Just hope GS has a trade in promotion.

Nintendo sold v1 switches that include Mario kart for Black Friday 2 years in a row…just putting that out there.

If you can’t keep an item in stock why give a deal. $25 gift card and 128gb memory stick for a v1

If you can’t keep an item in stock why give a deal.
This. Although I’m really surprised they went UP in price. I was expecting $300 for OLED and $300 w/ digital pack In game for old screen. I guess chip shortage is still an issue and/or they are sure it’ll sell at $350. Of course if it doesn’t they can throw in a digital pack in with purchase and don’t even need to change the packaging.

I’m kinda relieved. I didn’t want to have to buy a new switch this year. And there is absolutely no temptation with this upgrade.

This new Switch to me seems to be more of an upgrade for the Lite than a replacement for the existing docked one.  All the new advantages seem to go to portable play, although it also has the benefit of being able to be docked and removable motion controllers over the Lite.

I do like the built in Ethernet, but cheap and non-obtrusive adapters have been available since it came out for wired play.  I got one for my son to play Splatoon 2 lag free and it works flawlessly.  If I were getting a new dock, the built in is the obvious choice for simplicity - but not something that warrants an upgrade.

It's a great option for new buyers, or if you want to upgrade a Lite to allow docked play and have an improved screen.  But it isn't very enticing for me to upgrade either of my sons' Switches.  They do play them portable in the car on trips, but never complain about the screens.

Too bad the bigger screen will result in a less sharp picture since it’s at the same resolution as the Lite and standard model. I often prefer playing on my 2DS as the 2DSXL looks stretched.

finding them at retail price is a deal at this point
And I have a feeling this will be difficult to get at launch too, so that makes it a deal as well. Case closed

No interest in the new model but if Nintendo are selling the new dock separately I'll grab one of those.
They are! -

"The white dock and black dock will be sold separately (no HDMI cable, no AC adapter, not in a package) on the Nintendo online store," Nintendo said in a statement. "It will not be sold at retail."

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/you-dont-need-to-buy-the-nintendo-switch-oled-to-get-its-upgraded-tv-dock/

Thanking Nintendo for not improving the hardware and increasing the price on a 4 year old console?  The Stockholm Syndrome is real.   

So what do you all think?  I'm thinking about finally getting a Switch, a Switch Lite since that's all I can really afford and find at the moment. 

Then, I'm going to buy this OLED model of Switch when retailers throw in a game or gift card to offset that $50.  Maybe during this Thanksgiving/Christmas at the earliest.

Also, it is news to me that there is a blue/red joycon OLED model.  Thought it was just going to be the white joycon one only.

So what do you all think? I'm thinking about finally getting a Switch, a Switch Lite since that's all I can really afford and find at the moment.

Then, I'm going to buy this OLED model of Switch when retailers throw in a game or gift card to offset that $50. Maybe during this Thanksgiving/Christmas at the earliest.

Also, it is news to me that there is a blue/red joycon OLED model. Thought it was just going to be the white joycon one only.
First you need to decide what you need in the Switch, and go from there? Do you play mostly portable, or docked? If it's 50/50, getting the Lite is probably not a good idea. If it's mostly docked, than the OG or the new OLED is the better option, or the "Lite" if mostly handheld is your poison.

Yes, there is a red and blue "OLED" model. as I have seen the box pics, but their promoting the "white", as it's "New" and that's the focus, and why they show Dread as well, as that's the new game they want to promote. Plus they still need the public to understand, the OLED is different than the OG, and showing that one now, would probably just confuse folks. But the packaging is different at retail, so that should help get the messaging right.

Then lastly, decide if you need the new features of the OLED for $50 bucks, or if the standard $300 unit is fine. OLED is the bomb, but maybe not worth $50 to some? Do you ever see needing that kickstand, if not, the OG's is crappy, but if never used, why bother? Is the slightly bigger screen size important? Does using Labo matter, as it's stated some things may not work as they do for the OG model.

For me, the Lite is still my best bet, as I NEVER use docked, unless I have to and all the other features of the OG or lost on me. Now if they offered a Lite with the OLED option for $50, I would probably jump on it, but for regular unit, meh. So a bigger better screen is pretty moot for some, but for those who like the best picture possible, or the best new features a system has to offer, then this is for you. So some will trade up, some will stay with what they have, and others will pass on this in hopes of a "Pro" down the road, the choice is yours!

So what do you all think? I'm thinking about finally getting a Switch, a Switch Lite since that's all I can really afford and find at the moment.

Then, I'm going to buy this OLED model of Switch when retailers throw in a game or gift card to offset that $50. Maybe during this Thanksgiving/Christmas at the earliest.

Also, it is news to me that there is a blue/red joycon OLED model. Thought it was just going to be the white joycon one only.
I see why that's all you can afford, terrible with money. If you plan on getting the OLED switch this holiday why not just wait to get that and don't get a switch lite? Use some of the money you were gonna use on a lite and buy a game if they don't bundle one.

I'm passing for at least another year. I don't enjoy playing handhelds so the OLED bump really does nothing to draw me in.

It's surprising how well the Switch continues to sell. Even as one who grew up on Nintendo games and have owned every system through the Wii U (yeah), I've just not understood the hoopla consumers seem to have over this device.

To me, even at launch, it was an overpriced touch-screen tablet with an HDMI output. Over 4 years later, it's now a *really* overpriced device. Yes, it has some great Nintendo games (many of which I already played on the Wii U), but otherwise, IMHO, it's a home for last-gen ports (that consumers [strangely] have no problem paying significant premiums for) and the worst versions of any newer third-party releases.

I'm just in no hurry with the line-up the Switch has. Besides Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3, there's nothing from Nintendo that is out now or later this year that gets me to buy one. Add to this the issues with supply-chains and with scalpers inevitably making finding one a huge headache, and the decision to pass becomes an even easier one.

Supply chains will repair themselves, and sales for the Switch will eventually fade/slow down, which will result in a price drop (or in my view, a "price correction") for the Switch.

By that point, I would also expect the only game I really care about on it to be out: Bayonetta 3.

I really doubt there will be any BF/holiday discount on the OLED version. It launches in October and I would bet it will still be hard to find before Christmas. Even if it’s not, I would imagine that Nintendo will discount or bundle the regular Switch and/or the Lite before they consider any deal for the OLED. And remember, Nintendo is super controlling when it comes to the types of deals it allows retailers to make with its products … so yeah, imo just order one at launch if you want the OLED or wait for a deal on a different model on BF. Or find a seller on FB or Next Door, I would bet a fair number of people will be upgrading.

I really doubt there will be any BF/holiday discount on the OLED version. It launches in October and I would bet it will still be hard to find before Christmas. Even if it’s not, I would imagine that Nintendo will discount or bundle the regular Switch and/or the Lite before they consider any deal for the OLED. And remember, Nintendo is super controlling when it comes to the types of deals it allows retailers to make with its products … so yeah, imo just order one at launch if you want the OLED or wait for a deal on a different model on BF. Or find a seller on FB or Next Door, I would bet a fair number of people will be upgrading.
Yeah, I was getting ready to post something similar, as I don't see this getting a discount until at least some point past summer of 2022. Also as stated, maybe wait if you really don't want the Lite, as that's kind of a waste. You've waited all this time, so why the rush now? For me, I prefer the Lite, so that's an easy sell for me, but I waited for that model, as I don't want the features of the OG for the extra $100. It was also easy to do since most games offered I'm in no rush to spend $60 for.

There should be some Lite deals, as well as some OG's, but that will depend on supply and demand come the holidays. If there are no units to be had due to demand, don't expect any deals. If shelves are over flowing, then a discount can probably be expected. So either one of these are your best bet for a deal, but still no guarantee.

First you need to decide what you need in the Switch, and go from there? Do you play mostly portable, or docked? If it's 50/50, getting the Lite is probably not a good idea. If it's mostly docked, than the OG or the new OLED is the better option, or the "Lite" if mostly handheld is your poison.

Yes, there is a red and blue "OLED" model. as I have seen the box pics, but their promoting the "white", as it's "New" and that's the focus, and why they show Dread as well, as that's the new game they want to promote. Plus they still need the public to understand, the OLED is different than the OG, and showing that one now, would probably just confuse folks. But the packaging is different at retail, so that should help get the messaging right.

Then lastly, decide if you need the new features of the OLED for $50 bucks, or if the standard $300 unit is fine. OLED is the bomb, but maybe not worth $50 to some? Do you ever see needing that kickstand, if not, the OG's is crappy, but if never used, why bother? Is the slightly bigger screen size important? Does using Labo matter, as it's stated some things may not work as they do for the OG model.

For me, the Lite is still my best bet, as I NEVER use docked, unless I have to and all the other features of the OG or lost on me. Now if they offered a Lite with the OLED option for $50, I would probably jump on it, but for regular unit, meh. So a bigger better screen is pretty moot for some, but for those who like the best picture possible, or the best new features a system has to offer, then this is for you. So some will trade up, some will stay with what they have, and others will pass on this in hopes of a "Pro" down the road, the choice is yours!
I played a PSPgo using a PS3 controller. It's not really that big of a deal for me to use a Switch Pro controller and a Switch lite.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Lite now, in hopes of a "Pro" model down the line. Also, I didn't know about some Labo not working with this OLED model.

I see why that's all you can afford, terrible with money. If you plan on getting the OLED switch this holiday why not just wait to get that and don't get a switch lite? Use some of the money you were gonna use on a lite and buy a game if they don't bundle one.
Tell me your secret to amassing a $200+ video game budget. As you've already assumed, I'm clearly not part of "Rich Ass Gamer." Also, I might not have that $360 plus tax when the OLED is available.

I'm passing for at least another year. I don't enjoy playing handhelds so the OLED bump really does nothing to draw me in.

It's surprising how well the Switch continues to sell. Even as one who grew up on Nintendo games and have owned every system through the Wii U (yeah), I've just not understood the hoopla consumers seem to have over this device.

To me, even at launch, it was an overpriced touch-screen tablet with an HDMI output. Over 4 years later, it's now a *really* overpriced device. Yes, it has some great Nintendo games (many of which I already played on the Wii U), but otherwise, IMHO, it's a home for last-gen ports (that consumers [strangely] have no problem paying significant premiums for) and the worst versions of any newer third-party releases.

I'm just in no hurry with the line-up the Switch has. Besides Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3, there's nothing from Nintendo that is out now or later this year that gets me to buy one. Add to this the issues with supply-chains and with scalpers inevitably making finding one a huge headache, and the decision to pass becomes an even easier one.

Supply chains will repair themselves, and sales for the Switch will eventually fade/slow down, which will result in a price drop (or in my view, a "price correction") for the Switch.

By that point, I would also expect the only game I really care about on it to be out: Bayonetta 3.
That's kind of why I wanted a Switch Lite. There's only really a handful of titles I'm really interested in getting a Switch for and the portability of last generation titles.

All those compilations of last generation titles are probably going to be the filler games to my Switch collection. I probably should just play them on last generation consoles, right? I'm talking like Bioshock, Resident Evil 0-6, Borderlands 0-2, La Noire, Mega Man/Zero Collections, and any other highly praised titles from the last generation era.

When I first got the switch I wasn’t too amazed by it the screen it was an Amazon fire tablet…playing breath of the wild was a great experience. But still

Yea I don’t expect deals…maybe the Mario kart version 1 bundle will be $250….but I don’t expect more than a $25 gift card and a micro sd card for the version 2…same for the lite…and oled will be long sold out by then.

People gonna wanna play diamond and pearl on oled I kno I do

Tell me your secret to amassing a $200+ video game budget. As you've already assumed, I'm clearly not part of "Rich Ass Gamer." Also, I might not have that $360 plus tax when the OLED is available.

That's kind of why I wanted a Switch Lite. There's only really a handful of titles I'm really interested in getting a Switch for and the portability of last generation titles.

All those compilations of last generation titles are probably going to be the filler games to my Switch collection. I probably should just play them on last generation consoles, right? I'm talking like Bioshock, Resident Evil 0-6, Borderlands 0-2, La Noire, Mega Man/Zero Collections, and any other highly praised titles from the last generation era.

Just get a switch lite

Lots of great deals on those collections lately, prices have been tanking on things like the Bioshock trilogy and Borderlands. They aren’t perfect ports, but I really like having great last gen games on my Switch. You might consider building your library before you buy the console, especially with some of those titles dropping down to $15-20 on sale. Black Friday might have decent deals on older switch games too.

I'm passing for at least another year.  I don't enjoy playing handhelds so the OLED bump really does nothing to draw me in.

It's surprising how well the Switch continues to sell.  Even as one who grew up on Nintendo games and have owned every system through the Wii U (yeah), I've just not understood the hoopla consumers seem to have over this device. 

To me, even at launch, it was an overpriced touch-screen tablet with an HDMI output.  Over 4 years later, it's now a *really* overpriced device.  Yes, it has some great Nintendo games (many of which I already played on the Wii U), but otherwise, IMHO, it's a home for last-gen ports (that consumers [strangely] have no problem paying significant premiums for) and the worst versions of any newer third-party releases.

I'm just in no hurry with the line-up the Switch has.  Besides Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3, there's nothing from Nintendo that is out now or later this year that gets me to buy one.  Add to this the issues with supply-chains and with scalpers inevitably making finding one a huge headache, and the decision to pass becomes an even easier one. 

Since when are there still supply issues with the current Switch? I see them in stock everywhere, especially the Animal Crossing ones.

It does all come down to how much you're willing to pay for portability. I don't play games that way so it's not worth it to me.

And IMHO, I think people are over-valuing portability. As for playing last-gen console games, my answer would be (again, from my perspective) yes, you can/should play those on your last-gen PS4 or Xbox One (or older) consoles, and benefit from the cheaper prices (and better performance) on those games, too.

Since when are there still supply issues with the current Switch? I see them in stock everywhere, especially the Animal Crossing ones.
My comment was steered to the OLED model coming out in October. As with any new/holiday Nintendo product nowadays (or frankly, any console), I just assume scalpers will first swoop in and take the stock, driving prices up and making finding one a chore.

If I buy a Switch, I'd get the newest model. No point in paying for the older one (esp. as I said in my post, I see the Switch as being over-priced and over-hyped with a first-party library that still needs far more titles to make it worthwhile for me).

You know what was nice? When ebay had thier 15/20% off sales. That's how I got my switch, a seller had it marked down to something like $280, and they had a 20% sale, so I used that as an excuse to finally pick one up. Not sure if they still do that anymore.

"The bezel around the larger screen is glossy black now instead of matte."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/nintendo-switch-oled-hands-on-a-small-upgrade-that-makes-a-big-difference/ar-AALXMvB?ocid=BingNews

Say what? Isn't the bezel around the existing Switch glossy? Feel like I wipe away fingerprints on it constantly.
Scroll down in the article to where they show the system in the dock... you can see that outside edge of the front of the system is now glossy instead of Matte. It blends in with the glossy black of the bezel built into the screen protector.

The newer Switch is more expensive though and the only benefits are for handheld mode.
True, but what I mean is when I buy it, which is still quite a while away, I'm buying the newest model, which should be at that point a model after the OLED.

I may not play portable, but I want the best model out when I buy it.

Somebody missed the Ethernet connection on the dock! /s
Somebody doesn't realize that you can already get an ethernet adapter that plugs into a USB port on the old Switch dock! (I've had one for years...)

And before you come back and make another uninformed post like "But an ethernet adapter would waste one of the USB ports!" I'll go ahead and point out that the new dock for the OLED model already removes the previously existing USB port in order to make room for the ethernet port, which actually means you have less options available to you.

Somebody doesn't realize that you can already get an ethernet adapter that plugs into a USB port on the old Switch dock! (I've had one for years...)

And before you come back and make another uninformed post like "But an ethernet adapter would waste one of the USB ports!" I'll go ahead and point out that the new dock for the OLED model already removes the previously existing USB port in order to make room for the ethernet port, which actually means you have less options available to you.
I guess jokes are considered "uninformed posts" now. Wooosh

bread's done
Back