Switching to linux... Help?

Quackzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I have been a hardcore Windows user, but I am getting a new laptop for college stuff and I want to use Linux.

I am thinking probably a ThinkPad R series... (which would be the best?)

But I am also going to use Windows XP.

I want to know what the best possible programs are, including the best linux distribution. I looked into StarOffice, what other programs do I need?

And also, how should I go about partitioning the HDD? It is going to be about 80GB, and I am probably NOT going to have an XP install disc, but rather a system restore disc.

And how should I distrubute the partitions? The laptop will not be used for much gaming, probably only strategy games and maybe some counter-strike, so not much space will be used for games. All the music will be in Sonicstage, so I guess that means it has to be on the Windows side.

Also, would it be a bad idea to not buy MS Office and rely on on StarOffice? Does it have all of the features, including powerpoint?

I use open office (openoffice.org) even though I use windows. It's available for linux too. I think it's a great word processor.

I've been using Linux for a few days (since I borked Windows XP and need to wait for Dell to send me a XP disc) and I, as a "hardcore" windows user, hate it.

dont decide to switch to linux without trying it.
go and DL a version of linux that has a live CD (will boot directly from a CD) and try it out.
http://www.linuxiso.org/ has a bunch of distributions of Linux, the live CD distribution that I am using is Knoppix.

It has tons of Linux apps included, so you should be able to get a feel for whether you like linux or not from it.

note: installing stuff and finding up to date software sucks balls, there isnt even a version of Flash Player 8 for linux, for example, and its sometimes difficult to find a program compiled for your version of linux

Don't bother with the naysayers... Linux isn't difficult, it's simply that for Windows "power users" accustomed to doing things in very different ways than things are handled in Linux.

I'm not too familiar with Thinkpad hardware, but from what I hear they're well supported in Linux distributions because of IBM. I'm sure you'll be using wireless, and in the past it's been rather sketchy because of incredibly poor vendor support. However, just recently a company released a wifi stack to the Linux kernel, and compatibility is getting better all the time. However, since it's a Thinkpad I doubt you'd have much trouble.

When it comes to Linux, very basic things like installing packages are radically different from Windows, as the post above me frustratingly expressed. On any distribution (distro for short) worth its salt, there will be a "package management" system. Essentially, distros have repositories of thousands of programs, and so you only have to use one program to install any program in the repositories. On rare occasion, you won't find a program in a repository and you want to download from X site, there are a ton of Linux forums to help you install anything. If you have a problem, instead of getting frustrated, it's best to get on IRC or post on a forum because it is rare that you will have a completely unique problem no one has encountered before.

There is also the question of GUis. On Linux, there are lots, and it can be a big decision on what programs you use and in general what you find usable. You can check Google Images for KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Enlightenment, and the beautiful-but-alpha XGL. The two main ones, and most "complete" (some say "bloated"), are KDE and Gnome. I say it can be a "decision on what programs you use" because for the most part programs use either the KDE libraries or those of Gnome. Therefore, if you want to AmaroK, a music management program based on the KDE libs, in the Gnome desktop environment, you will need the KDE libraries installed. This really isn't a big deal and only affects memory (more libraries loaded into RAM), but if you have at least 256MB it won't be an issue.

As far as alternative programs go, unless you're using an obscure program that is Windows-only, you can generally always find a suitable replacement for programs you're habituated to in Windows. OpenOffice is excellent, but its PowerPoint equivalent isn't as advanced as PowerPoint nor does it open complicated PowerPoint slideshows well, which I'd define as sound files, transitions, etc. Simple text-and-background presentations it usually doesn't have a problem with, and it's getting better every day. Similarly, its reverse-engineering of Word .doc files is very, very good.

I haven't used StarOffice, nor have I used KOffice, another Office suite available, but Oo_Org is held to be pretty much the best among the community. Try it on Windows and see if it suits you. Of course, if you're already using mostly open-source programs like Firefox and Thunderbird, then the transition is even easier and you feel more at home.

For beginners, I recommend Ubuntu. It's based on an excellent package management system (Debian), has excellent hardware detection, and has one of the best and fastest growing communities for support. I've been using it for over a year on my laptop, and at the beginning of May switched my desktop over to it as well. When looking at screenshots of distributions, please remember that the GUI you see can be changed entirely if you don't like it.

Partitioning isn't a big deal. Until you learn more about the Linux filesystem structure, I suggest you just partition 20GB for / (root) and the rest of the disk for /home, where your personal files will go. In Linux, swap space (the "pagefile" in Windows) is given its own partition as well, so I'd give 20GB to root, 1GB to swap, and 59GB to /home. If you are going to keep Windows for gaming (which, if you must play games that aren't available for Linux, I suggest keeping Windows partition because it's a pain getting them to work in Linux), install Windows first and then install Linux. Windows can be installed in 10GB partition and have plenty of room, so then just subtract that 10GB from your /home I suggested earlier.

LiquidNight is correct about Flash 8. Macromedia made no Flashplayer 8 for Linux. Thankfully, however, Adobe has just recently announced Flashplayer 9 will be available for Linux. And, unless you're running on obscure architecture, you rarely have problems with code compiled for a different system. You should just install the standard x86 distro, and there is no compatibility to worry about.

Good sites for constant perusal:

http://www.linuxquestions.org - Forums for many variations of Linux
http://www.ubuntuforums.org - Ubuntu-specific, excellent forums
http://www.tldp.org/guides.html - Great guides, from beginner to advanced. Check out the "Introduction to Linux - A Hands-on Guide."
http://www.linuxcommand.org - A site to introduce you to the command line. In Linux, you really do want to use the command line. It is incredibly powerful and you can get things done SO much quicker than with GUI. Trying to use command line in Windows is hairpullingly awful. In Linux, it's great.

That's not to say that I don't love the GUI, of course. Linux GUI is still worlds ahead of Windows, but not yet ahead of Apple. Check out XGL videos...

I hope this post has been helpful. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Is XGL a distro itself, or is it just a way to change the GUI?[/QUOTE]
I think that is a GUI.

One site I would recommend is http://distrowatch.com/. You can get a lot of info on different distros. I've heard a lot of people recommend Ubuntu. I actually started out with debian. I've also tried Fedora Core, which is good.

No, XGL isn't its own "GUI" as such. To run any GUI, you need an X server. XGL is another X server. So, that means you can run it with KDE, Gnome, and probably others in the future (though as far as I know the only two supported right now are KDE and Gnome). It runs on OpenGL drivers.

You can, however, test-drive XGL by downloading the Kororaa LiveCD. Version 0.2 (the latest and unfortunately final--for now) includes support for KDE in addition to Gnome. Fire it up... the support for very old graphics cards running XGL well is incredible.

I feel like Ubuntu is definitely the best distrubution, it simplifies the process of getting a word processor and other various programs like installing firefox and what not.

The only knock on Ubuntu is not being able to play MP3 files from the start, you have to manually get it to work...and if you are a new user can be quite a daunting task...as linux is still not too user friendly.

Try before installing...most linux distrubitons allow you to run the software from the disc before installing.

There is no Linux distribution I know of that plays MP3s out of the box. It would be illegal to include such support without paying royalties, and few distros need or can afford the expense, and it also goes against the spirit of open-source licensing.

All a user has to do is download an mp3 package. Very simple actually.

So, is it as easy as creating a partition for windows, a partition for linux, and using their respective install discs to install?

Or is there going to be some special crap that needs to be done?

Also, would it be possible to make like a 2GB shared partition, that both linux and windows can access on which I store documents and stuff?

Like I said, it's best to just install Windows first onto a 10GB partition. After that, then install Linux on the rest in the manner I described. The install CDs will take care of boot loaders and safeguarding the partitions. You can make a FAT partition of 2GB to share stuff if you want. It's easy to put Firefox/Thunderbird settings on there to share mailboxes and settings across the OSes.

my advice.

Don't dual boot. Don't worry about how to partition your drive, how much for linux/ how much for windows.
Use the freebie vmware server. http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
If you're a hardcore windows user, give all your hard disk space to windows & use the windows version of vmware server to run whatever linux disrtibution you want.
The only caveat is that this takes a lot of memory to do, you're basically running both OSes at the same time.

hope that helps

[quote name='booger19a']my advice.

Don't dual boot. Don't worry about how to partition your drive, how much for linux/ how much for windows.
Use the freebie vmware server. http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
If you're a hardcore windows user, give all your hard disk space to windows & use the windows version of vmware server to run whatever linux disrtibution you want.
The only caveat is that this takes a lot of memory to do, you're basically running both OSes at the same time.

hope that helps[/QUOTE]
I got that on my machine too. It's pretty nice. I did a practice install of Windows Server 2003 on my XP machine with that.

bread's done
Back