System Menu 4.2 - Blocks Homebrew, That's It

Doomed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
  • Deletes most homebrew
  • Now uses IOS70.
  • Wii Shop Channel updated.
  • Most of the IOS's have been updated or stubbed.
  • Updates your boot2 to boot2v4 (what LU64+'s have)
The shop channel update exists so you can't access the shop without updating your system. Everything else is a direct attack on homebrew related things. A decent effort towards fighting homebrew. Still not enough to actually stop anyone, but whatever.

PSA: Learn how to backup your Wii memory. Multiple CAG's have lost their progress in games like Animal Crossing and Brawl because their Wii broke, and Nintendo wiped their Wii memory when they fixed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use any homebrew on my Wii. I can't see much reason to.

So I went ahead and updated to 4.2 this morning.

My Wii is right next to my bed so it's kinda neat waking up to a glowing blue light.

[quote name='The_Spaceman']So does this remove the homebrew channel?[/QUOTE]
What is this "homebrew channel" you speak of? I, uh, don't... have... any idea what you're...

Yes.

[quote name='cruzfactor']How do you stop the newer games from updating your system when you first use it? I don't see an option to cancel the update.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, the only way is through software that can only be installed on a softmodded console. You could also simply look up whether the disc has a fw update on it. I imagine the info is out there somewhere.

Also, a workaround for 4.2 has already been found if you already had a softmod/homebrew.

I would stop discussing homebrew here it is not allowed google it and youll find WAY more info, or even move this conversation to private messenging.
just a heads up.

If you run Homebrew or not, it's actually recommended that you don't upgrade at all.

Apparently they are pushing an update to boot2 that hasn't been done before on retail consoles, and the install is somewhat iffy and may cause your Wii to become bricked.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']If you run Homebrew or not, it's actually recommended that you don't upgrade at all.

Apparently they are pushing an update to boot2 that hasn't been done before on retail consoles, and the install is somewhat iffy and may cause your Wii to become bricked.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any proof of this? It's the first time I've heard of this update causing any bricking, and everyone who I know has updated without problems.

Do the people reporting issues have unmodded/homebrew-free consoles?

There's a few posts in Nintendo's Technical Forums.

By no means does it mean that your Wii will brick, and the bricking has absolutely nothing to do with Homebrew. Apparently the actual function for updating boot2 does not always write the correct data, hence resulting in bricked Wiis. If you make it past updating you're probably fine, but if you freeze in the process of updating you're more than likely boned.

So far the only problems I've seen related to firmware upgrades are: (a) Wii consoles from other regions being flashed with firmware, and (b) people unplugging their Wii console before the update finished.

The first option doesn't concern me, because anyone buying their Wii from a legit source should have no issue. Although (b) could be a problem for some, it's presumably because of something wrong with Nintendo's servers instead of the firmware... and this is a type of "normal" problem with firmware updates for any device, where a small percentage of people can have issues.

Since nobody with a legit Wii, myself included, has reported problems with the update -- assuming it finishes the installation process -- I'm confident that it's not a serious issue. I'm also confident that the (totally unofficial) recommendation to NOT install the update should be ignored.

Did you actually read some of the posts? It's not just any firmware upgrade, it is just the way this one updates the boot2 of the system. Not to mention several posts discussing the brick have already been deleted.

Even if its not a widespread issue, there's a risk that the update can brick your Wii. Since the update doesn't add anything significant (other than being unable to connect to the Wii Shop channel) there's no reason to update even if the risk is minimal. If you decide to update you need to be willing to take that risk, but it's only fair to let folks know that a risk does exist.

I've read the warnings on all the blogs, I've read the hacking sites, and I understand what's at risk. But your warning to not update consoles remains unofficial and largely irrelevant. The reported number of systems bricking through any source is not significant, and most cases where consoles are bricked still appear to be related to issues other than Nintendo's code.

It's entirely fair to let people know that there is risk associated with the update. This update does rewrite critical sections of the memory, and if errors occur during that write it can be a serious problem. However, I strongly believe that the risk is being greatly exaggerated without merit.

(Also, it's unlikely that there will be significant improvements to Nintendo's code in a second update - so most users, and especially legit users, are probably best to just move forward and deal with Nintendo's support staff in the rare case that something does happen.)

[quote name='chimpian']I would stop discussing homebrew here it is not allowed google it and youll find WAY more info, or even move this conversation to private messenging.
just a heads up.[/QUOTE]
Homebrew? What homebrew? I'm talking about the Wii update. Nevermind the long list of ways CAG supports piracy and homebrew:

Mother 3 translation discussion (
I would bet money none of the people in the forum dumped their own cart, although people like Strell probably have the JP version to support Nintendo somehow, still illegal
)
JimmieMac on the CagCast Live: I pirate games CheapyD: I don't care
Discussion of :cool: in general threads
People playing games before their release date (not 100% piracy)
Discussion of unlicensed accessories like Action Replay/freeloader (just because a company sells it doesn't make it not homebrew)

etc.

A while back, the Wii had some update that sounded like future updates would happen automatically.

Is this ever going to be the case? Also, it is SO stupid that wiiconnect needs to be turned on, the option should be passively on or off, and then automatically on if needed without user input.
Nintendo does too many things right to keep doing stupid things wrong.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I updated from my NHL2K10, but my homebrew channel seems to be still up and running. Course I wasn't connecting to the net or the wii shop channel, but it ran TvC fine.

[quote name='vherub']A while back, the Wii had some update that sounded like future updates would happen automatically.

Is this ever going to be the case? Also, it is SO stupid that wiiconnect needs to be turned on, the option should be passively on or off, and then automatically on if needed without user input.
Nintendo does too many things right to keep doing stupid things wrong.[/QUOTE]
Turn WC24 off unless you need it for something. In system settings.

I updated my system when the update hit, no problems. Reading through Nintendo's forums, the only people complaining are a bunch of people with newly created accounts. And given how hard it is to FIND their tech forums, I doubt those people are genuine in their concerns.

[quote name='ejamer']I've read the warnings on all the blogs, I've read the hacking sites, and I understand what's at risk. But your warning to not update consoles remains unofficial and largely irrelevant. The reported number of systems bricking through any source is not significant, and most cases where consoles are bricked still appear to be related to issues other than Nintendo's code.

It's entirely fair to let people know that there is risk associated with the update. This update does rewrite critical sections of the memory, and if errors occur during that write it can be a serious problem. However, I strongly believe that the risk is being greatly exaggerated without merit.[/QUOTE]

In this case there's plenty of merit and it is not irrelevant. There is some risk without any reward (aside from not being able to play games with 4.2 and/or connect to the Wii Shop Channel). There is very little to gain by installing this update at the moment. If there were some cool feature shoehorned in with this update, the reward might've outweighed the risk but as it stands it doesn't.

Additionally, by conventional methods users can not backup saved data or games so should anything happen they are ultimately at Nintendo's mercy for their data and may be at risk for a $75 repair fee if their console is out of warranty. I'm sure Nintendo will work with these folks, but that risk still exists and is not without merit.

If it were up to Nintendo, their updates would instantly bake any system detected running homebrew or a modchip and they'd offer no repair services. But the law is such that game companies can't do that. We're still allowed to do what we want with the things we buy and until things change, than too bad for the game companies.

It seems like we're going to have to just disagree, but there is one thing that can be said definitively.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']...and may be at risk for a $75 repair fee if their console is out of warranty... [/QUOTE]

Nintendo has posted their official statement, and will foot the bill to repair any systems bricked by the update:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/message?board.id=wii_tech&thread.id=29992

Sounds like they're considering the risk to be pretty low unless people have been modding or installing homebrew. Not a big surprise if you ask me... in fact, their stance sounds surprisingly familiar.

There is always risk when updating firmware, and moreso with the 4.2 update than any previous. But the risk is extremely small and the danger has been greatly overstated.

[quote name='Diosoth']If it were up to Nintendo, their updates would instantly bake any system detected running homebrew or a modchip and they'd offer no repair services. But the law is such that game companies can't do that. We're still allowed to do what we want with the things we buy and until things change, than too bad for the game companies.[/QUOTE]
XBMC, Mother 3, Wii HDD Loader, etc. all would be impossible without homebrew. Those are real achievements with the quality of a paid product, and enhance whatever they are added on to.

I have 11,500 points worth of WiiWare games and unspent shop points. I'm worried about losing them if this update bricks my wii, would they be replaced with a repair?

I don't have homebrew so that isn't an issue.

[quote name='Kaoz']I have 11,500 points worth of WiiWare games and unspent shop points. I'm worried about losing them if this update bricks my wii, would they be replaced with a repair?

I don't have homebrew so that isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]Shouldn't be a problem since that info should be locked into your mynintendo account and they transfer everything (in both my cases, though I went in person to Nintendo HQ and waited for them to get it done)

So... My understanding is that the bricking problem has to do not with the update itself, but the update not being able to complete successfully because of a connection lapse/power down/etc. If that's the case, would it be safer to just wait until I buy a new game that forces me to update off of the disc?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So... My understanding is that the bricking problem has to do not with the update itself, but the update not being able to complete successfully because of a connection lapse/power down/etc. If that's the case, would it be safer to just wait until I buy a new game that forces me to update off of the disc?[/QUOTE]

Connection/power issues can cause a problem with any firmware update, but that isn't the issue at hand here. The problem lies in faulty code that updates the boot sector of the console. It may cause problems, it may not, but I would still wait until either a fix is released or you are absolutely forced to install the update (i.e. access the shop channel and/or a game requires it).

I don't know why I *always* want to install updates as soon as they are released. I guess that's why I love betas and such of software.

Either way, I updated all my...channels...before updating to 4.2. Zero issues for me, as everything still works.

[quote name='Rig']Either way, I updated all my...channels...before updating to 4.2. Zero issues for me, as everything still works.[/QUOTE]

Official statement from Nintendo, posted on Oct 6th:
"Nintendo of America's consumer service department has received less than 200 inquiries regarding system menu update (SMU) 4.2 since it launched on September 28, 2009.

This is from a U.S. installed base of over 21,000,000 Wii consoles. A significant number of these inquiries were resolved quickly and easily right over the phone. For the remaining inquiries we have advised consumers that the symptoms described usually occur when a Wii console has been modified."

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3953

In this case, modified doesn't mean "have homebrew channel installed" - it means consoles from the wrong region being flashed and sold, or consoles that have actual modifications made.

Is the whole issue completely overblown? Some people in this thread seem to think it's a serious problem. I still haven't seen any evidence of that, or even heard from someone with a legit Wii that was bricked because of the update.

Yes, it's possible... but it's highly unlikely that anything bad will happen when you update the console as long as you don't interupt the power while updating.

Please, since when do you take anything PR says at face value? In this kind of situation any company is going to try to put a positive spin. Of course no company is never going to admit they are at fault until extreme circumstances force them to do so (see Microsoft).

No where was it suggested that it was a widespread issue, but it is an issue when the update provides little to no reward with even a small amount of risk involved. If you're willing to update in spite of of the risk that's your prerogative, but don't try and sugarcoat the issue.

[quote name='Rig']I don't know why I *always* want to install updates as soon as they are released. I guess that's why I love betas and such of software.

Either way, I updated all my...channels...before updating to 4.2. Zero issues for me, as everything still works.[/QUOTE]

Same here, updated just a few days ago, not a problem. Had my wii since launch.

Is there anywhere official where nintendo says they are covering this issue? I updated mine a few weeks ago and just realized it's bricked. I don't have any homebrew, or shady stuff on my system.

Nintendo wants $47 bucks to fix it (that's half priced after I reminded them this was their fault). Is there anyway I can fix this myself one it's already bricked?

The only thing I could find was this. No mention of free repairs, just that they'll "work with you". If this did indeed happen during the 4.2 update, I would try calling them again and see if you can get someone different and explain that it was their software that caused your Wii to brick!

The only way you can fix this problem yourself is via a prevention method. If you haven't done it before the fact, it's up to Nintendo. Hope it works out.

[quote name='nbballard']Is there anywhere official where nintendo says they are covering this issue? I updated mine a few weeks ago and just realized it's bricked. I don't have any homebrew, or shady stuff on my system.

Nintendo wants $47 bucks to fix it (that's half priced after I reminded them this was their fault). Is there anyway I can fix this myself one it's already bricked?[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Don't pay for it - keep calling Nintendo support and arguing until they cover it for free.

At one point, Nintendo promised to fix (for free) any bricked systems that were definitely not modded or using homebrew. I suspect that there was no way to confirm 100% about homebrew on bricked consoles, and so that promise disappeared... but if your system really was clean then keep pushing them until you get what you want.

Out of curiosity, why did you just update now? Seems unusual to wait so long and then make the update.

I noticed that NSMB Wii forced a system update on me despite my system being updated over the internet already.

I just updated on Saturday. I hadn't updated because I never got around to it and hadn't gone to the shop in a while, so there was no need to. I did the update so I could buy Excitebike. In any case, I'm glad to say that my update went fine. nbballard - I'd definitely call them again and push for the fix to be free, and don't forget to tell them to preserve your saves and such.

[quote name='Zing']I noticed that NSMB Wii forced a system update on me despite my system being updated over the internet already.[/QUOTE]

I wondered about that. Also wondered if the new WiiWare demo service got some people to update.

I turned on my wii a few weeks back when I was thinking about buying Lost Winds. I had to perform the system update to get into the store- then I remember being able to navigate around for a little while before shutting down, but i may be wrong. When I turned it on yesterday to play NSMBwii. No dice.

I'm going to call them back tonight and nag them some more.

I told the rep that I had looked on their tech support site and that a lot of people were reporting the same problem, and that there were even posts by official NOA tech reps mentioning it- and the woman on the phone said that the update would not cause my system to crash- and that more than likely it was an existing condition that was just came into view because of the update. blah.

For the record, no you don't have to update the shop channel for WiiWare demos. I updated mine when 4.2 came out via homebrew, and the demos downloaded fine.

bread's done
Back