System Menu 4.3 Released - Blocks Homebrew, That's It

Doomed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
* Deletes the [homebrew] and [homebrew]
* Now uses IOS80.
* IOS254 stubbed. [Homebrew] is deleted.
* Fixed [exploit] less stupidly this time.
* Added IOS58.
* [Another homebrew] exploit removed
* NANDFS privilege escalation fixed
* ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature

Unless you have a new game with the update on the disc, you should pass. It may have the same problem as 4.2 where legitimate users (who never used homebrew) got bricked Wiis because of the deep, dark places of the Wii the update changes.

[quote name='botticus']Doesn't every firmware update in the history of firmware updates include a small chance of bricking the hardware?[/QUOTE]
That risk is usually associated with a power outage or unplugging the Wii while updating. 4.2 has an increased risk of bricking because homebrew people put hacks in deep, dark places of Wii memory. When you install these homebrew apps, there is an increased risk of bricking your Wii because it modifies data that the Wii needs to boot up to the system menu.

To patch the exploit, Nintendo needed to do the same. It's probably safe, but there is an increased risk of a brick. For example, if an update tries to update the shop channel and fails, your shop channel is screwed up. If it tries to update the code that starts the Wii menu and fails, you can't boot your Wii.

There is very little risk involved, but since there is no reward, I would wait until a disc forces you to update.

[quote name='Doomed']That risk is usually associated with a power outage or unplugging the Wii while updating. 4.2 has an increased risk of bricking because homebrew people put hacks in deep, dark places of Wii memory. When you install these homebrew apps, there is an increased risk of bricking your Wii because it modifies data that the Wii needs to boot up to the system menu.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is completely true. The code that updates certain portions of the Wii contains a bug which has a slim chance of failing to update, therefore bricking your Wii. I believe Homebrew has bypassed this a while back.

But in either case, you're right. Don't update unless absolutely necessary since there's little to no added benefit that we know of yet.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I don't think this is completely true. The code that updates certain portions of the Wii contains a bug which has a slim chance of failing to update, therefore bricking your Wii. I believe Homebrew has bypassed this a while back.

But in either case, you're right. Don't update unless absolutely necessary since there's little to no added benefit that we know of yet.[/QUOTE]
You got me. You sound more correct.

My Wii started blinking around 11PM CST last night, so I went ahead and updated it.

Will be nice if it improves loading time on the SD menu.

I'm not a homebrew user, but I don't want to have to install updates that do nothing useful. Throw us a bone, Nintendo, not just homebrew blocks. Ok, so the SD update was nice, but here's a suggestion: downloadable Netflix client, no disc required.

[quote name='crunchewy']here's a suggestion: downloadable Netflix client, no disc required.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 has to use a disc too. My understanding is that Microsoft is paying a premium to Netflix as a part of an exclusivity thing to allow this functionality.

I.e., not going to happen. Even if it did, it's not going to happen with the Wii itself.

This actually annoys me, one problem I have is the VC as of lately is getting shit and I mean either nothing or most likely crap. I do buy all my games though the shop channel but there are some cases where Nintendo refuses to release games *cough* Earthbound *cough* and then block the homebrew channel because that is bad. So what, is Nintendo just trying to forget about the existence of games like Earthbound by not letting anyone play them?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']is this a mandatory update ?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. You do not have to update, but you can no longer access the Wii shop until you do afaik. That's the only thing you will notice from not updating. All other channels and games will still work just fine. Since I have no plans to buy anything from the Shop anytime soon, I'm more than happy to keep my HBC.

[quote name='Strell']The PS3 has to use a disc too. My understanding is that Microsoft is paying a premium to Netflix as a part of an exclusivity thing to allow this functionality.

I.e., not going to happen. Even if it did, it's not going to happen with the Wii itself.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm not a homebrew user, but I don't want to have to install updates that do nothing useful. Throw us a bone, Nintendo, not just homebrew blocks. Ok, so the SD update was nice, but here's a suggestion: downloadable Netflix client, no disc required.[/QUOTE]

It is possible to take the ~30 MB Netflix disc and make it into a Netflix channel. I don't have a subscription and the steps are fairly in-depth. (Maybe 1/2 hour or less of time to get it working?)

[quote name='Doomed']It is possible to take the ~30 MB Netflix disc and make it into a Netflix channel. I don't have a subscription and the steps are fairly in-depth. (Maybe 1/2 hour or less of time to get it working?)[/QUOTE]

That would work if you're willing to do homebrew, but it wouldn't allow for the possibility of updates to the Netflix app. It's pretty good, but no full library search. I'd love to see that. An official download would have that potential for updates, and could contain those updates already. I'm not sure if Microsoft has an exclusive deal on disc-free netflix or not. Perhaps they do. If so, I wish they'd lose it, because Netflix is infinitely better on the Wii then the 360, at least for me with a lower speed DSL connection, but I've gone over why a number of times so I won't repeat it again.

[quote name='crunchewy']That would work if you're willing to do homebrew, but it wouldn't allow for the possibility of updates to the Netflix app. It's pretty good, but no full library search. I'd love to see that. An official download would have that potential for updates, and could contain those updates already. I'm not sure if Microsoft has an exclusive deal on disc-free netflix or not. Perhaps they do. If so, I wish they'd lose it, because Netflix is infinitely better on the Wii then the 360, at least for me with a lower speed DSL connection, but I've gone over why a number of times so I won't repeat it again.[/QUOTE]

The Netflix exclusivity deal with Microsoft supposedly ends this fall, so it seems very likely that we could see a more permanent solution on the Wii & PS3 early next year.

[quote name='Strell']The PS3 has to use a disc too. My understanding is that Microsoft is paying a premium to Netflix as a part of an exclusivity thing to allow this functionality.

I.e., not going to happen. Even if it did, it's not going to happen with the Wii itself.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's going to go away this fall. I'm sure Microsoft wasn't too happy to hear about Netflix coming to PS3 and Wii in disc form to get around their exclusive agreement. I doubt an App will come to Wii though.

You know the netflix channel talk makes me wonder, why doesn't Nintendo allow external channels (or if they do, why are there none)? Since the Wii is a wifi connected device, why can't people make channels like they would as apps on the iPhone. I would love to have a specialized you tube channel, or something like a Gizmodo. Sure I can just visit the web browser on the Wii, but this would be hassle free and easier.

Did anyone else repeatedly get error code 32002 when trying to download the new firmware today (Thursday)? I've checked and double-checked by router, but there isn't anything wrong with the set-up.

Whatever new Nintendo game you get will force you to update no matter what. Just wait for that, 4.3 has no new features.

[quote name='Doomed']Whatever new Nintendo game you get will force you to update no matter what. Just wait for that, 4.3 has no new features.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I just recently re-bought a Wii after not having one since '07 and was hoping to download some VC games for the weekend. Hopefully it will work later today or tomorrow.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']You know the netflix channel talk makes me wonder, why doesn't Nintendo allow external channels (or if they do, why are there none)? Since the Wii is a wifi connected device, why can't people make channels like they would as apps on the iPhone. I would love to have a specialized you tube channel, or something like a Gizmodo. Sure I can just visit the web browser on the Wii, but this would be hassle free and easier.[/QUOTE]

I personally wonder how Netflix on Wii works since it's a DVD, and you can't play DVD's on Wii without modding your system.

[quote name='KingBroly']I personally wonder how Netflix on Wii works since it's a DVD, and you can't play DVD's on Wii without modding your system.[/QUOTE]
It's obviously not a normal DVD. I think technically, all Wii discs are DVDs but are changed somehow to be specific to Nintendo, so they can get the licensing revenue.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']The Netflix exclusivity deal with Microsoft supposedly ends this fall, so it seems very likely that we could see a more permanent solution on the Wii & PS3 early next year.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, and a little birdie told me that Wii and PS3 owners won't even have to wait until next year -- once the exclusivity is up, it's up, so Certain Interested Parties will likely have the apps ready to go right away.

bread's done
Back