Tabula Rasa (PC) free to play now, bitches!

whitereflection

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
Thought I should give this a bump since the game has gone free to play earlier than previously stated. You can now play this game in first-person by presing Shift-9.

Why should you play this when the game is set to shut down soon?
Playing on the test server is like playing a game on debug mode or with a Gameshark. The test server allows you to level up instantly and have tons of cash, respecs (allows you to reset your skill allocation), etc. You are also able to choose classes freely without the requisite classes. The new content will require you to be max level, and you'll still get to see everything in the game without having to actually put any work in.

How to Install
-If you're a former player, all you have to do is log into your PlayNC account and click reactivate.
-If you're a new player, you can request a serial key from their support site, or pick the game up at Gamestop/EB Games for a penny. You do need to provide a credit card number when registering, but it will not be charged.

Here's the (live) game client: ftp://ftp.playtr.com/setup_data_files/install_tabula_rasa_1.11.6.0.exe (Be aware that the game is set to shut down on February 28th, 2009 and all your leveling will have been for naught if you choose to play here.)
Test server client: ftp://ftp.playtr.com/public_test/setup_data_files/install_tabula_rasa_1.11.6.0_pts.exe
If you already have the game installed and want to play on test, here is a very easy way to do so without having to download it: http://www.planettr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked TR during beta, but I'm diametrically opposed to paying $10 [or $15!] a month for a game. :/
Might be in for a month though.

With the announcement of the FPS mode I went ahead and bought it since I have prime. At least worth a buck for the game and a free month. I played the beta and kinda liked it, will be fun to try it out again and see what has changed.

[quote name='whitereflection']So if this game really does shut down, players will probably receive Aion, which runs on the Crysis engine[/quote]

Far Cry engine =/= Crysis engine. :|

[quote name='whitereflection']Okay, now you guys really have no excuse.

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Garri..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219027458&sr=8-1

The game is going FPS in an upcoming patch, they're adding new stuff all the time including mechs, and we're taking back Earth soon, starting with New York City. (http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_10312008.html)

Thanks to nintendospy for the update.[/quote]

If I buy 12 boxes, can each boxes 30 day period be added to an existing account. I was recently burnt with WOW when I bought the battlechest thinking I could add the license to an existing account, only to find out it's only good for new accounts.

[quote name='stoned99']If I buy 12 boxes, can each boxes 30 day period be added to an existing account. I was recently burnt with WOW when I bought the battlechest thinking I could add the license to an existing account, only to find out it's only good for new accounts.[/quote]

I don't believe you can, as I wanted to do the same. I asked on PlanetTR, some forums where most of the community goes and they claim it doesn't work. It sucks since some other NCSoft games allow it, but oh well. :(

If it did, I'd probably buy two years worth at this price, even though I am not that huge of a fan, just being able to relax when I'm bored with other games would be nice lol.

Well to answer my own question, I already had some boxes that I bought at goodwill a while back, but had never installed due to other games being played. I have a ncsoft account that I used to beta test the game in the past. I used the serial number to activate the account, and was directed to a payment screen which I completed thinking it was a reoccuring billing program like some other games. I was shocked to find out I was billed immeditely and received no credit for the serial number I used. I am pissed, I feel like the fuckers completely cheated me.

[quote name='pete5883']Less than a cent? Quite a deal. [/asshole][/QUOTE]

You know, I just got your post. I'm going to leave the title unchanged for posterity because it's reportedly been pennied out at Gamestop/EB Games as of this morning.

i kinda feel like a sucker for having paid $30 for the ltd. edition from amazon and only playing it for the free month lol

"Lord British" aka "General British" (Richard Garriott) leaves NCSoft to continue to pursue his dream of space exploration

Lord British Leaves NCSoft
Nov 11, 2008 at 11:58 AM - Andrew Burnes - 12 Comments

Having seen the wonders of space first-hand, Richard Garriott has left NCSoft and his Tabula Rasa MMO to pursue other interests:

I am happy to finally be able to write the players and community of Tabula Rasa. We've been on quite a journey together. First in creating a game unlike any other on the MMO market, then growing a loyal community and finally launching the game and its players into space with Operation Immortality. It has been quite an unforgettable journey, one that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

I am very grateful to you loyal players for sticking around through what I think we can all honestly say was a rough launch. I thank the development team for pushing hard to get polish, updates and new content out every month since launch...a feat that I think is unusual in MMO development. They have a lot to be proud of.

Many of you probably wonder what my plans are, now that I have achieved the lifelong dream of going to space. Well, that unforgettable experience has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests.

This news is difficult for me to deliver. I am honored to have worked with the team I've had and I'm grateful to the community who makes this game so unique and fun.

Thank you and farewell.

Richard "General British" Garriott

I just have to say: best thread title EVER! Makes want to but the game and I don't have a PC.

I doubt they'll give complementary copies of their other titles now if the game is going free to play in January, but I hope people will actually take this opportunity to try out the game. It's incredibly fun if you have buddies to play with and now you won't have to cajole them into playing.

Edit: Crap, it's already too late. TR players will be getting a shitload of stuff: http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/information_for_our_subscriber.html

They basically said if you were a paying member as of 10am this morning, you will get free 3 months of CoH and 1st month of Aion (and access to beta) for free. I still have three unopended boxes meant for xmas gifts, so I'm pissed.

[quote name='stoned99']They basically said if you were a paying member as of 10am this morning, you will get free 3 months of CoH and 1st month of Aion (and access to beta) for free. I still have three unopended boxes meant for xmas gifts, so I'm pissed.[/quote]

haha....sorry.

It's three months of City of Heroes (don't forget that City of Villains is free for every subscriber now), three months of Lineage II, and a complementary copy of Aion. That's $140 right there. Congrats to people who bought this off Amazon for a dollar and will be getting all this.

[quote name='whitereflection']It's three months of City of Heroes (don't forget that City of Villains is free for every subscriber now), three months of Lineage II, and a complementary copy of Aion. That's $140 right there. Congrats to people who bought this off Amazon for a dollar and will be getting all this.[/QUOTE]

Which will be no one since it says you have to be a paying member. Those that grabbed this off Amazon either havnt opened it or on their free month.

The people on their free month will get it, I think. "Active players are defined as customers who are either in their first 30 days of play following retail activation, or who are active recurring subscribers. Free trial users are not included, nor are cancelled subscribers." So if you're on your free month, you're considered an active player. This certainly was the case when Auto Assault shut down.

[quote name='whitereflection']The people on their free month will get it, I think. "Active players are defined as customers who are either in their first 30 days of play following retail activation, or who are active recurring subscribers. Free trial users are not included, nor are cancelled subscribers." So if you're on your free month, you're considered an active player. This certainly was the case when Auto Assault shut down.[/QUOTE]

Ill be pissed if this is true and I didnt install it. I was waiting till I finished ToV to install.......wonder if I would still get it.

:( I have this game and I didn't install it yet. Oh well, December 11th will start my free 2.5 months of Tabula, I guess.

They were giving this game away at the Wizard World Tx show 2 weekends ago...I snagged 4 then I realized I wouldnt be able to play it lol.

[quote name='stoned99']I still have three unopended boxes meant for xmas gifts, so I'm pissed.[/QUOTE]

MMOs (especially ones that sell for a dollar) with subscriptions are pretty bad ideas for gifts, dude.

this is what you get if you continue to subscribe to the game through its closing:

- 3 months free on City of Heroes
- 3 months free on Lineage 2
- beta access to Aion
- a pre-order key for Aion
- 1 month free and a paid-for client for Aion

seems worth it if you're into MMOs

[quote name='zenintrude']this is what you get if you continue to subscribe to the game through its closing:

- 3 months free on City of Heroes
- 3 months free on Lineage 2
- beta access to Aion
- a pre-order key for Aion
- 1 month free and a paid-for client for Aion

seems worth it if you're into MMOs[/quote]

It's only if you were subscribed as of Nov. 21 I believe. Any subscriptions after are not valid.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']MMOs (especially ones that sell for a dollar) with subscriptions are pretty bad ideas for gifts, dude.[/quote]

Or maybe it was very good idea as the games only cost a dollar, so they were cheap gifts. Unlike you my amazing crystal ball did not predict the immediate demise of the game, I also didn't predict you being such an idiot.

[quote name='stoned99']Or maybe it was very good idea as the games only cost a dollar, so they were cheap gifts. Unlike you my amazing crystal ball did not predict the immediate demise of the game,[/quote]
It's an MMO that isn't WoW. Of course it isn't going to be around too long.

I also didn't predict you being such an idiot.
haha

Thought I should give this a bump since the game has gone free to play earlier than previously stated. You can now play this game in first-person by presing Shift-9.

Starting the Game
If you want to try out this game before it shuts down, it is highly recommended that you install the TEST server because the new content will require you to be max level, and there is an NPC there who can level you up instantly and give you boatloads of cash. You are also able to choose classes freely without the requisite classes, and you'll also get to see the next (last?) content update before it goes live.

-If you're a former player, all you have to do is log into your PlayNC account and click reactivate.
-If you're a new player, you can request a serial key from their support site, or pick the game up at Gamestop/EB Games for a penny. You do need to provide a credit card number when registering, but it will not be charged.

Here's the (live) game client: ftp://ftp.playtr.com/setup_data_files/install_tabula_rasa_1.11.6.0.exe (Be aware that the game is set to shut down on February 28th, 2009 and all your leveling will have been for naught.)
Test server client: ftp://ftp.playtr.com/public_test/setup_data_files/install_tabula_rasa_1.11.6.0_pts.exe
If you already have the game installed and want to play on test, here is a very easy way to do so without having to download it: http://www.planettr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144

bread's done
Back