Taking a trip to UAE (dubai)

Dokstarr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hey all, I am planning a vacation to Dubai and was wondering if anyone has been there before.

I can go away for up to 11 days and was trying to decide how long I need. I want to go to Abu Dhabi too.

I was thinking if I am already going over there maybe I should try to go to Egypt to.

My gf wants Dubai because of the super modern hotels, fancy restaurants, etc., but I think I would get bored after more than a few days there. Well not bored, but paying a lot without getting a lot out of it. So that is why I thought it would be fun to do like 4 or 5 days in Egypt and then go to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

Any experience people have with taking trips over there would be great.

The only other thing is if I start getting so many places involved I was thinking maybe it would be better to go through a travel agent. I've traveled myself over to Ireland and other places before, but I imagine it would be much more difficult over in Egypt and the Gulf.

So just looking for opinions - thanks!

[quote name='Dokstarr']Hey all, I am planning a vacation to Dubai and was wondering if anyone has been there before.

I can go away for up to 11 days and was trying to decide how long I need. I want to go to Abu Dhabi too.

I was thinking if I am already going over there maybe I should try to go to Egypt to.

My gf wants Dubai because of the super modern hotels, fancy restaurants, etc., but I think I would get bored after more than a few days there. Well not bored, but paying a lot without getting a lot out of it. So that is why I thought it would be fun to do like 4 or 5 days in Egypt and then go to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

Any experience people have with taking trips over there would be great.

The only other thing is if I start getting so many places involved I was thinking maybe it would be better to go through a travel agent. I've traveled myself over to Ireland and other places before, but I imagine it would be much more difficult over in Egypt and the Gulf.

So just looking for opinions - thanks![/QUOTE]

Do your research with Dubai, and honestly Egypt is so dysfunctional these days you'd be mad to go there. Dubai you need certain cards on you at all times to drink in certain places. Without them you can get arrested(unlikely but it happens). Any traveling by taxi be very careful.

Just educate yourself on their rules, laws and ways of conduct, because kissing in public has led to incidents of drawn out court cases and prison sentences there. Some of Dubai is beautiful and it's basically 90% tourists/foreigners/overseas workers. They have a great area where you can touch and play with Dolphins, sking, beautiful golf courses waterparks, nightlife and restaurants of course. I am not sure you'll get bored inside 11 days.

You will get bored in Dubai for that amount of time. Its basically shopping malls (no PDAs!). Hotels have clubs/bars if you like to go out in the evening. Try the desert safari (well not if you get carsick). And visit the gold market at least to browse. I wasn't concerned about using taxis. Visit a waterpark if you want as mentioned above.

Do visit Abu Dhabi though if in Dubai. I can't offer anything on Egypt.

[quote name='Arakias']You will get bored in Dubai for that amount of time. Its basically shopping malls (no PDAs!). Hotels have clubs/bars if you like to go out in the evening. Try the desert safari (well not if you get carsick). And visit the gold market at least to browse. I wasn't concerned about using taxis. Visit a waterpark if you want as mentioned above.

Do visit Abu Dhabi though if in Dubai. I can't offer anything on Egypt.[/QUOTE]

That is what I thought. It seems like shopping malls, clubs, and restaruants. The aquarium, dessert rides, and waterpark all look fun though.

I read up a bit on the drinking, PDAs, etc. I'm not one for PDAs anyways. I saw that drinking is only at the hotel restaraunts, bars, etc.

I don't want to spend so much on the flight to just go somewhere for like 5 days (1200 per person) so that is why I want to cram as much into the trip as possible so I thought the 3 hr flight to Egypt was relatively close. I looked up about the unrest going on over there, but everywhere I looked said it is find for tourists and the only way something could ever happen would be if you decided to go hang out in the middle of a protest.

I will have to spend alot of time tomorrow trying to decide what I want to. Maybe I will post on a few of the travel sites asking a bout getting a travel agent to book everything. If I'm doing multi-countries it may be easier?

I went for vacation with my wife and we had our greatest vacation ever. Fantastic city, quite modern, but still with the cultural feel of the Mideast.

Be sure you do the dune bashing trip, I highly suggest signing up for the afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab (It's really the only way shy of spending 10k a night to stay there, to get inside. It's a spectacle), eat at the shawarma stands at least once a day. Greatest sandwiches on the planet.

If you're going to party, nightclubs, drinking, by mighty careful. They may allow the service of alcohol at most hotels, but public drunkenness could get you in a fair bit of trouble. We don't drink, so we intentionally sought out a non-alcohol serving hotel. Hit the big mall which has the indoor ski slope, heck, ski if you like to. If you want an entertaining experience, take the city bus out there. Heh, that was an adventure, but one I don't want to go through again. We enjoyed a paid tour that took us to a few landmarks like the old fort, Jumeirah area outside of the Burj, we got to go to one of their biggest mosques (which is open to muslims and non-muslims).

We didn't do the water park, but it looked like fun. The hotel we stayed at had a sister hotel in Sharjah (a much more socially conservative state), but they had a private beach which was nice, and fun to wade into the Ocean. I never had a problem with any taxis. Before I got into them, I would mention the place I was going, and sometimes they'd shake their head, say no, and drive off, but there was never a safety issue. It's not cheap to travel by taxi, and we walked most places, but it's like any big city taxi.

Be sure to go to the spice and gold souks, and be prepared to be ripped off unless you know some Arabic. You don't like the deal they're offering, walk away. They'll either chase you down, or stand firm, then you'll start to learn the price range of stuff.

I've never been to Egypt, but right now I would strongly suggest avoiding the place. If you're Egyptian, then maybe, but there are bad things happening there behind the scenes. They're a bad day away from another massive coup, IMO.

I was there for like, 8 days or something, and felt like I could have done everything I wanted in 6 days, but my wife was glad to have the extra time.

I can't recommend it strongly enough. I think you and your girlfriend will have an amazing time. I've never felt safer in a big city, walking around at 2am. Wife and I want to go back as soon as our kids are at a good age, or could be left with my parents.

OK, I'm officially jealous. Feel free to PM me for any trip specifics. Haa haa.

[quote name='Dokstarr']The travel sites I saw said that it was still safe to go, perhaps it would be best to avoid since I'm stuff like that would at least spook the gf and my family.

I will need another suggestion to maybe tack onto the trip then. Maybe Istanbul, Greece, or something for a few days before.[/QUOTE]

Greece would be cool. Istanbul is not somewhere you want to take your gf. Maybe im too critical but, honestly the guys there are outrageous, you definitely couldn't leave her on her own anywhere outside, trust me on that. Egypt was great a couple years ago but right now its just so unstable. Tourist areas are usually secured well but it's an unnecessary risk.

[quote name='Dokstarr']The travel sites I saw said that it was still safe to go, perhaps it would be best to avoid since I'm stuff like that would at least spook the gf and my family.

I will need another suggestion to maybe tack onto the trip then. Maybe Istanbul, Greece, or something for a few days before.[/QUOTE]

And people who have been to the region, along with multiple news agencies are reporting that it's not safe at all. Why even risk it?

Have you been anywhere else overseas before this trip?

Yah, as others have said, and you're probably starting to realize, if you and your girlfriend are white...don't go to Egypt right now. I wouldn't go, and I know a ton about the faith, speak a good bit of Arabic, and could pass as Arab. I would not even think of bringing my wife.

I don't know enough about the situation in Jordan right now, but if you wanted to visit Petra (the "caves" but more accurately, rock sculptures from Indiana Jones 3) that is supposed to be a great trip. With Syria in total madness though, that might be getting a little too close to the hornet's nest.

[quote name='berzirk']
I don't know enough about the situation in Jordan right now, but if you wanted to visit Petra (the "caves" but more accurately, rock sculptures from Indiana Jones 3) that is supposed to be a great trip. With Syria in total madness though, that might be getting a little too close to the hornet's nest.[/QUOTE]

I've actually heard it's quite the letdown. The entrance to Petra is cool, but once you're there, it's just blah. I'd been looking to go myself, but now I'm looking elsehwere instead.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I've actually heard it's quite the letdown. The entrance to Petra is cool, but once you're there, it's just blah. I'd been looking to go myself, but now I'm looking elsehwere instead.[/QUOTE]

Yah, different strokes for different folks. If the archaeology stuff is your thing, I've heard nothing but great comments from friends who have been there. Jordan has other interesting sites as well.

Even though the trip was a while ago wanted to update and thank berzirk for the advice.

Ended up just doing Dubai (and a day trip to Abu Dhabi).

It was a great time! Highlights included going to the top of the Burj, the fountain at the Dubai Mall, skiing at the Mall of the Emirates, dune bashing, two water parks (at Atlantis and Wild Wadi), Ferrari World (world's fastest coaster), spending nights on the boardwalk, etc.

One thing I would've changed is where the hotel we stayed. It was a very very nice hotel (Melia Dubai) but a bit out of the way over by old town. I would've definitely stayed by the boardwalk/harbor if I realized that I would be down there a few times for dinner and hanging out at night.

Taxi rides were plentiful and cheap.

Camel does not taste that great.

In true CAG fashion I saved more than a thousand dollars using their version of craigslist (dubizlle) by buying a bunch of b1g1 free coupons for the water parks, theme parks, dune bashing, and fancy restaraunts from some local people. I definitely wouldn't have gone to some of the expensive restaraunts without those.

It turns out I have a connection out there, so maybe someday I will end up there with a job and be ones of tons of expats.

bread's done
Back