Tales of Legendia

King

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
ToL is finally out, I just got back from EB with my copy and awesome art book. Gonna go try it out right now, anyone have any impressions of their own?

It looks awesome but... most RPG's have been taking a price cut after a months lately, so I think I'm going to wait on this one until its $30 or lower.

[quote name='Roufuss']It looks awesome but... most RPG's have been taking a price cut after a months lately, so I think I'm going to wait on this one until its $30 or lower.[/QUOTE]

Solution: Hit up every gamestop around till you find some crackhead standing outside pawning a 50.00 gamestop gift card for 30 bucks ;)

Total spent on Tales: 34.29 w/ tax :bouncy::applause:

My local EB didnt get the artbook. Lame. It was the only reason I preordred it from them, so I didnt pick it up and bought the game elsewhere.

I really really want this game, as I loved Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Destiny II (US version), but I have so many games to play right now and I'm sure it will drop to $25-30 soon enough. Kinda tempted to pick it up though because I heard that Namco is gauging ToL's success to see if they should bring Tales of the Abyss here (which looks awesome...).

[quote name='strebor']I really really want this game, as I loved Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Destiny II (US version), but I have so many games to play right now and I'm sure it will drop to $25-30 soon enough. Kinda tempted to pick it up though because I heard that Namco is gauging ToL's success to see if they should bring Tales of the Abyss here (which looks awesome...).[/QUOTE]

That's what everyone on the Namco forums says. But I fucking hate that. Let's test the water with an equally expensive game! Lame.

Heh. The main rumor going around for Tales of the Abyss is that the development team required the "the" put in there on the internet so it remains grammatically correct. That's all everyone is going off of, in terms of "I wonder if Abyss is coming here."

This game also has a terrible battle engine, does anyone else feel like this went a few steps backward from Symphonia? The fluidity and smoothness is gone. Apparently Abyss is just a retooling of Symphonia's, but this is one built from the ground up by Soul Calibur programmers.

I really hope this sells well so we get Abyss, but I'm not buying this. I hate the thing where they release the worse game here first, and if it doesn't sell well, we don't get the good one.

the character desginer is not the people that worked on the past tales games, instead it is Kazuto Nakazawa (Samurai Champloo, Final Fantasy Unlimited, Kill Bill animated sequence, etc)
The music was composed by Masaru Shiina (Mr. Driller and Katamari Damacy) also first time working on the series.

Just submitted a review minutes ago, so I won't say much yet. A few points though:

Good: Music, real-time 2D combat, some funny character chemistry
Not So Good: Graphics, character designs, voiceovers

FYI, in the credits, Legendia's composer is listed as Go Shiina, not Masaru Shiina. But some Google research proved 62t correct -- it's the same person.

I made the mistake of getting Tales of Symphonia almost right when it came out with the guide. Total was $63.97. If I had waited just a weee little longer, I could have gotten the game for $20 and the guide is very common on the trading forum here because it was pennied out. I could have probably spent less then half of what I originally did for both.

I'm not regretting the purchase, but cheaper is always better. So, this time I am going to sit back and wait and see. However, I do fear that it could go oop. Games seem to randomly go oop then the only options are ebay.

[quote name='b3b0p']
I'm not regretting the purchase, but cheaper is always better. So, this time I am going to sit back and wait and see. However, I do fear that it could go oop. Games seem to randomly go oop then the only options are ebay.[/QUOTE]

Tales of Legendia has about as much of a chance of going OOP as Tales of Symphonia... Namco likes to overproduce everything, and since every retail store is carrying this game, you have all the time in the world to wait for a drop.

I mean, hell, Best Buy price dropped Wild Arms 4 by $10 a month after it was out, I'm going to wait and see what they do to this one.

[quote name='Roufuss']Tales of Legendia has about as much of a chance of going OOP as Tales of Symphonia... Namco likes to overproduce everything, and since every retail store is carrying this game, you have all the time in the world to wait for a drop.

I mean, hell, Best Buy price dropped Wild Arms 4 by $10 a month after it was out, I'm going to wait and see what they do to this one.[/QUOTE]

I don't expect it to go oop at all, but recently there seems to be titles that I have wanted that go oop randomly.

Phoenix Wright comes to mnd.

I'll probably wait until the price hits $30 - 35, it is tempting to pick it up now though. I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia, but are there similarities (battle system, etc.)?

[quote name='b3b0p']I don't expect it to go oop at all, but recently there seems to be titles that I have wanted that go oop randomly.

Phoenix Wright comes to mnd.[/QUOTE]
Phoenix Wright is not a "random" title to go OOP. There was no advertisign, and it had retail failure written all over it, so initial print run was predictably limited.

[quote name='pete5883']Phoenix Wright is not a "random" title to go OOP. There was no advertisign, and it had retail failure written all over it, so initial print run was predictably limited.[/QUOTE]

It certainly seems random enough. It's a new title and there's still a decent demand for it.

[quote name='WebScud']It certainly seems random enough. It's a new title and there's still a decent demand for it.[/QUOTE]

The only demand for it came after everyone figured out how hard it was to find a copy... most people buy it / want it because its "omg rare".

[quote name='pete5883']Phoenix Wright is not a "random" title to go OOP. There was no advertisign, and it had retail failure written all over it, so initial print run was predictably limited.[/QUOTE]

It just came out and it's gone, everywhere.

Am I suppose to predict that a game will fail? How am I suppose to know if the initial print is low? It's from Capcom too! Not some unknown small publisher.

[quote name='Roufuss']The only demand for it came after everyone figured out how hard it was to find a copy... most people buy it / want it because its "omg rare".[/QUOTE]

I think your wrong. This is my opinion of course, but people that bought the DS because they want something different. That's exactly what Phoenix Wright is. And it's good to boot. I think most people were planning on buying it at some point, but once it started to become rare there was a mad dash becuase everyone that put it on hold wanted it before they couldn't get it. Regardless, demand is demand. For a game that came out on October 11 (only four months from today) it does seem a little random.

Even a lot of people here wants PW. However being CAG many of them waited for a price drop that may never come come.

As for ToL, remember the Tales games failed on PSX, so Namco might shipped fewer copies. If this game didnt sell very well, it could be hard to find.

[quote name='62t']Even a lot of people here wants PW. However being CAG many of them waited for a price drop that may never come come.

As for ToL, remember the Tales games failed on PSX, so Namco might shipped fewer copies. If this game didnt sell very well, it could be hard to find.[/QUOTE]

Those are my thoughts and were my thoughts about Tales of Symphonia (the reason I suckered up to paying over $60 for game and guide).

[quote name='b3b0p']It just came out and it's gone, everywhere.[/quote]It's been out for 4 months. Not exactly a new release. You're right though, it is a little soon to disappear from retail.

Am I suppose to predict that a game will fail? How am I suppose to know if the initial print is low?
It's a text and point and click adventure. This hasn't been a hot genre for like 20 years. And I'm not saying it did fail, I'm just saying Capcom had to be careful of how many they print due to it's genre, platform, and lack of advertising.

[quote name='pete5883']It's been out for 4 months. Not exactly a new release. You're right though, it is a little soon to disappear from retail.

It's a text and point and click adventure. This hasn't been a hot genre for like 20 years. And I'm not saying it did fail, I'm just saying Capcom had to be careful of how many they print due to it's genre, platform, and lack of advertising.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to go to far off the original topic, but Final Fantasy VII is just text and you can't even touch the screen or yell objection and have anything happen. It's been out for years and can still be found. Maybe an extreme example, but it's still just text that moves greatly slower then Phoenix Wright. However, it was a proven franchise and greatly hyped up and sold very well, so maybe this was a bad example.

4 months is new to me. It's all how you look at it and everyone has their own opinion.

Anyway, the game has only been out 4 months and it's gone! That's all that matters here. I only gave an example of a game disappearing because many of us like to hold out for a drop in price or for it to hit a best seller status. However, in this case the game was gone before it was even given a chance.

If it was not for the reprints from Atlus and folk, I might have said Disgaea, Rez, or Nocturne. Thank you reprints. Although, I would hardly call it a reprint. Just another printing of the game at a later time sounds better. People make it sound like reprints are bad.

I love any kind of RPGs but I guess I've been trained to expect more out of them than just text adventuring.

I think pete5883 is referring to the older PC text base games, which hasnt been a hit for a long time.

If you want to look at another prediction gone wrong, look at Trauma Center. It is from Atlus, a company known for having small print and a very niche concept. A lot of people thought this game will be crazy to find brand new. I think one member thought it could get to the $70 range.

[quote name='Roufuss']Tales of Legendia has about as much of a chance of going OOP as Tales of Symphonia... Namco likes to overproduce everything, and since every retail store is carrying this game, you have all the time in the world to wait for a drop.
[/QUOTE]

Every retail store except Gamerush, Roufuss. I'm still waiting for my preorder to come in, and I know they will tell me a month from now it is still "on order" whatever the hell that means.

And actually there has been some wierd distribution for this game. Of course, the local Gamecrazy had several copies (hear THAT Gamerush!?), but I have yet to see it at CC or Target (but I did see it at Best Buy, EB, and Gamecrazy). And I was at CC quite a bit last week :lol:.

my local best buy had one copy in, no other retail stores had it, so i went all the way to frys ( a 60 mile round trip) and decided to make a trip of it. ended up picking up tales, arena football, and rub rabbits. Along with volumes 1-4 of the Big O II.

anyone know how long it takes to beat this game.....

also there are way too many random encounters in this game.... seems like your fighting every 10 steps or less

[quote name='slidecage']anyone know how long it takes to beat this game.....

also there are way too many random encounters in this game.... seems like your fighting every 10 steps or less[/QUOTE]

I don't think my encounters are as frequent, unless you are referring to the world map ones. The problem with these world map encounters is that it takes a couple second after battle for the camera to pan back out before you can walk. It gets really annoying after you fight a several battles in a row.

i had the chance to get this at 33 bucks KIN price from gamefly... it would been like buying it new (since i was the first one to have it)

Sadly though i sent it back today.... with at least 10 other RPGS i got that i havent even started yet i figured why waste 33+ bucks on another game that i will never play for 6 months... By that time it be around 20 used

the game is nice but it is toooo repetitive , boring and easy.
music rocks but after finishing the game there are character quest so hope thats fun.

bread's done
Back