Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Pre-Order - $40 (Amazon)

CAGMoose

CAGiversary!
Topic says it all. Amazon listed ToS Chronicles for $40 recently. As far as I know, no official price has been announced, so this might be the time to lock in the pre-order price. I feel like releases like this typically go for around $40, and PS4 will be a-buzz by then, but who knows? 

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles

For those who didn't know (from IGN): "Currently going under the title of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, the new edition will bundle the original Tales of Symphonia game along with its 2008 sequel Dawn of the New World, as well as be displayed in HD and contain new content."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never played a Tales game before, would this be a good entry point to the series?
All tales games are completely separate unless there's "2" in the title so you could start with Symphonia if you wanted or you could get Xillia first since it's coming out first this August.

I've never played a Tales game before, would this be a good entry point to the series?
All tales games are completely separate unless there's "2" in the title so you could start with Symphonia if you wanted or you could get Xillia first since it's coming out first this August.
Oh, cool! This, Xillia, and Tales of Graces f are the only Tales games out on the PS3 available in the US right? Any on PSN? It's sorta hard to research these game since the wikipedia page is a mess. lol!

For those saying the value might be retained, don't forget that there could very well be digital versions...and then streaming of said versions down the road on PS4. I know a lot of us still prefer physical, but if the issue is simply getting to play the game, then in today's world more people will go that route (see Vita attachment rate being 60% digital or something along those lines).

Down for a pre-order but definitely want to get my hands on the collector's edition if its available. Easily my favorite game on the gamecube. 

And yes, Vesperia is awesome as well. Didn't like it quite as much as Symphonia but its one of the better jRPGs on the 360. 

I really want to play Vesperia, but I really don't want an Xbox, and I really don't want to read the game off a computer screen. 

I wish I could figure out a solution... 

If you had all the money in the world, the solution is easy. Buy Namco, force your will upon them and make Vesperia appear on the PS3 like it should have been in the first place. Despite Namco retracting a community leader's statement that Vesperia was a timed exclusive for Xbox, I do think there's some truth to that. It may not be possible for regular Vesperia to ever come out on PS3. With PS4 on the horizon, it's becoming less and less likely. 

Maybe if Tales of Symphonia HD collection sells well enough, they'll consider doing a Abyss/Vesperia pack. Or a Hearts/Innocents for that matter.... but ToS HD would have to sell a ludicrous amount.

Why the fuck is a Gamecube game PS3 exclusive?
The PS2 version sold better over there and that's what this port is using.

That's not the reason at all. If that was true, that doesn't explain the sequel which was a Wii exclusive with no ports. Baba, the producer of Tales said that it was his goal for fans to have as much access to tales games on the same platform in one interview. This is why he's always tried to get Vesperia on PS3 internationally, and why the DS tales games were remade for the Vita and not the 3DS. It doesn't explain why there was an Abyss 3DS port... but hopefully that game and Vesperia will someday come to PS3...

Why the fuck is a Gamecube game PS3 exclusive?
The PS2 version sold better over there and that's what this port is using.

That's not the reason at all. If that was true, that doesn't explain the sequel which was a Wii exclusive with no ports. Baba, the producer of Tales said that it was his goal for fans to have as much access to tales games on the same platform in one interview. This is why he's always tried to get Vesperia on PS3 internationally, and why the DS tales games were remade for the Vita and not the 3DS. It doesn't explain why there was an Abyss 3DS port... but hopefully that game and Vesperia will someday come to PS3...
That's not the reason at all? It may not be the only one, but it's a pretty sensible one. You called it a Gamecube game, except it was a Gamecube/PS2 game that, in fact, sold better on PS2 in Japan. Also Tales of Graces F did much better on PS3 than the Wii version, again in Japan, so at this point it's easy to see why they'd generally choose Sony first besides a few exceptions and non-mothership titles. Meanwhile, the second game is paired simply because to get a physical release, Sony requires two games in an HD package.

Baba's not exactly the best at relaying things. Just before revealing this package he was quoted saying they had no plans of re-releasing the game. He's always been back and forth, I mean his heart might be in the right place, but he nor anyone else at Namco Bandai does a good job of explaining their actions.

Still, if one were to go by his statements, he has confirmed that Sony has the largest Tales fanbase, and they aren't localizing the Vita ports because it's a struggling system. The Wii U is another one of those, so there you go, that's another reason it wouldn't make sense. The Gamecube version might have done really well overseas a decade ago, but there's no way they'd get better overall sales with the current Wii U userbase vs. the PS3 one.

1. I didn't call it a gamecube game, some guy you quoted said that.

2. Just because it was originally a gamecube game has nothing to do with the fact that it's on PS3 now

3. It barely sold better in Japan (about 50k more), which is sad considering the PS2 user base (21m) was over 5x the Gamecube(4m)

4. Never disputed Tales on Sony, I kinda already mentioned that Baba was trying to get Tales on a single platform (Sony)

1. I didn't call it a gamecube game, some guy you quoted said that.

2. Just because it was originally a gamecube game has nothing to do with the fact that it's on PS3 now

3. It barely sold better in Japan (about 50k more), which is sad considering the PS2 user base (21m) was over 5x the Gamecube(4m)

4. Never disputed Tales on Sony, I kinda already mentioned that Baba was trying to get Tales on a single platform (Sony)
Then don't we basically agree? Why did you have to say "That's not the reason at all" when I was only naming one reason of several? As for mistaking you for the other guy, I'm sorry for that, it's harder for me to read things on the new site format so to me it somehow looked like it was still that user replying.

So yeah, no matter the actual sales difference, that's irrelevant considering how many pieces of evidence they have besides Symphonia to make that call. Even for Symphonia, they claimed they were 200k under their expectations, otherwise they wouldn't have ported it back then, and let's not forget the developer still ended up bankrupt not long after then...

Anyway, I think this is largely due to a miscommunication, so I'm sorry I thought you were that other person, but all I really meant was that they've made their choice and Sony platforms are their safest bet to put most future releases on.

Well, since it's not because Symphonia sold better on the PS2, that I interjected on your claim as such. Even if a PS2 port never existed, this HD collection still would have came to the PS3 as the producer is consolidating Tales projects to the Sony platform. Considering the PS2 port sold about the same as the cube in Japan despite the much larger installer base, that really isn't the reason why this collection is on the PS3.

If the Wii and Xbox tales games didn't do so poorly (though Vesperia did alright in the US), we may have still seen upcoming tales games for those platforms. 

Well, since it's not because Symphonia sold better on the PS2, that I interjected on your claim as such. Even if a PS2 port never existed, this HD collection still would have came to the PS3 as the producer is consolidating Tales projects to the Sony platform. Considering the PS2 port sold about the same as the cube in Japan despite the much larger installer base, that really isn't the reason why this collection is on the PS3.

If the Wii and Xbox tales games didn't do so poorly (though Vesperia did alright in the US), we may have still seen upcoming tales games for those platforms.
Once again, this has been a terrible miscommunication and I apologize for confusing wording and mistaking you for someone else at one point...but I never made the claim in the manner you keep pointing out, at least I didn't intend to. I was merely informing that other person about there being a PS2 version of said Gamecube game and that's the one used as a base for this enhancement. I wasn't saying "It's coming to PS3 because it was on PS2," that's one part down a list of more important reasons, and I thought it was clear enough that I was just referencing how the game isn't only seen as a Gamecube game worldwide.

Well. That escalated quickly.

Anyhow, I guess I didn't realize the port was based on the PS2 version. Any major differences? 

Well. That escalated quickly.

Anyhow, I guess I didn't realize the port was based on the PS2 version. Any major differences?
I'm just not understanding why my comment is continually being treated like it was an absolute statement when all I meant was, "Hey, there's also a PS2 version that actually outsold the game you're saying was for Gamecube." I get the initial misconception because if taken literally, what I said could have meant something else, but I also keep saying I don't believe that to be the case anyway (as in, it could be a factor but not really, the overall trends matter more and such). But enough...

As for differences, it's a couple of sidequests, scenes, costumes, and new battle abilities.

Vinny had a nice post on the differences early in this very thread, but basically: bug fixes, a few extra costumes, a few extra cut scenes, an extra dungeon with some side quests, more skits, more titles, more skills/attacks, Zelos has angel powers like Colette, better camera angles during combat, Sheena ougi cuts during summons to match everyone else's ougi moves. 

And since this is a tales game after 2008, it's most likely we'll get voiced skits unlike the US cube version. Also, it will be translated more accurately without Nintendo's censorship.

And since this is a tales game after 2008, it's most likely we'll get voiced skits unlike the US cube version. Also, it will be translated more accurately without Nintendo's censorship.
Is there an actual reason we should believe they're going to voice the skits? Or update translations? I just figured they were going to upscale graphics and try to milk more money out of the series, but those updates would be nice.

This went to a weird place real fast. Are people upset because their GameCube game is going to become a lot less valuable or because they don't want other people playing this game?

I'm thinking its because of the value of the older game. They can do this at any time with any game. Wait until the Earthbound U HD collection comes our on Wii U. The amount of crying here will be completely dwarfed.

$40 for 2 games is a great deal..

Is there an actual reason we should believe they're going to voice the skits? Or update translations? I just figured they were going to upscale graphics and try to milk more money out of the series, but those updates would be nice.
Because the dub and the translation was done jointly with Nintendo, it is very possible that they'd have to redub and translate. Also, the version used is the PS2 one, so they'd have to translate all the extra skits anyway. The sequel will probably be the same as there's no additional content and was done entirely by Namco.

If that release date is accurate...no thanks. If they were doing on PS4, I'd be all over it.

Topic says it all. Amazon listed ToS Chronicles for $40 recently. As far as I know, no official price has been announced, so this might be the time to lock in the pre-order price. I feel like releases like this typically go for around $40, and PS4 will be a-buzz by then, but who knows?

For those who didn't know (from IGN): "Currently going under the title of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, the new edition will bundle the original Tales of Symphonia game along with its 2008 sequel Dawn of the New World, as well as be displayed in HD and contain new content."

If that release date is accurate...no thanks. If they were doing on PS4, I'd be all over it.

For those who didn't know (from IGN): "Currently going under the title of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, the new edition will bundle the original Tales of Symphonia game along with its 2008 sequel Dawn of the New World, as well as be displayed in HD and contain new content."
Seriously? There's zero chance of that March 31, 2014 release date being the correct one. It's just a placeholder.

How does this game compare to Vesperia and Graces F? I loved Vesperia but couldn't get into Graces at all...
Symphonia is closer to Vesperia than Graces f in terms of its battle system, and it was the first Tales of game that I really played.

As for its story, it's a tad cliched and not as original as the plots for Vesperia and Graces f IMO, but I still enjoyed it.

Because the dub and the translation was done jointly with Nintendo, it is very possible that they'd have to redub and translate. Also, the version used is the PS2 one, so they'd have to translate all the extra skits anyway. The sequel will probably be the same as there's no additional content and was done entirely by Namco.
The only thing confirmed to be funded by Nintendo was the advertising, the rest was all fan theory attempting to explain why the PS2 version wasn't localized before. It was paid for and handled by Namco Hometek, and while it's possible they could scrounge up the newer voice actors to do the skits and even re-dub the entire thing, it's not necessarily a requirement and the costs probably aren't worth it. A lot of the original voice actors are union, which Namco doesn't support, hence the many replacements in Symphonia 2.

OK but if it releases at all after PS4 is out, I'll pass. It would make sense to have that as a PS4 game, but it's not listed as one.

Seriously? There's zero chance of that March 31, 2014 release date being the correct one. It's just a placeholder.

OK but if it releases at all after PS4 is out, I'll pass. It would make sense to have that as a PS4 game, but it's not listed as one.
If you read the whole thread, you might have noticed the commentary earlier about the games being released on systems that the majority of fans will play it on. The majority of fans are not going to be buying launch editions of PS4s to play JRPGs. It's too much of a niche and it's not what the brand will be pushing early. Just look at the E3 lineup. Shooters, Racers, and to a lesser extent - Sports. Xillia was at E3, but for PS3.

I won't be picking up PS4 for at least a year after its launch, and I hope when I do, there are 2-3 RPGs I can pick up right away. Looks like there might be a Final Fantasy out 2014, but beyond that, I'm not expecting to see anything I need to upgrade consoles for.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning. I'm just saying I won't be getting it for the PS3, as I have enough backlog that, by the time I get through them, I'll be ready to retire my PS3.

If you read the whole thread, you might have noticed the commentary earlier about the games being released on systems that the majority of fans will play it on. The majority of fans are not going to be buying launch editions of PS4s to play JRPGs. It's too much of a niche and it's not what the brand will be pushing early. Just look at the E3 lineup. Shooters, Racers, and to a lesser extent - Sports. Xillia was at E3, but for PS3.

I won't be picking up PS4 for at least a year after its launch, and I hope when I do, there are 2-3 RPGs I can pick up right away. Looks like there might be a Final Fantasy out 2014, but beyond that, I'm not expecting to see anything I need to upgrade consoles for.

This is available to pre-order on Gamestop's website as well.  Probably already posted, but I just found out several hours ago.

I don't mind if this isn't available until the end of March of next year. Although, I feel a bit hesitant to put money down so far ahead of the release date.

It was smart to release Symphonia on the Gamecube in the U.S. We all saw how poorly Abyss sold on PS2, though I'm sure some of that had to do with releasing it too close to a game with Final Fantasy in the title.

How does this game compare to Vesperia and Graces F? I loved Vesperia but couldn't get into Graces at all...
Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia were all made by the same team. You might want to give those other titles a try. Graces was made by the team that did the Tales of Destiny series along with Rebirth that never came out here..

The only thing confirmed to be funded by Nintendo was the advertising, the rest was all fan theory attempting to explain why the PS2 version wasn't localized before. It was paid for and handled by Namco Hometek, and while it's possible they could scrounge up the newer voice actors to do the skits and even re-dub the entire thing, it's not necessarily a requirement and the costs probably aren't worth it. A lot of the original voice actors are union, which Namco doesn't support, hence the many replacements in Symphonia 2.
Time will tell as we'll find out. I prefer not to be disappointed with a cop out, but who knows. Nintendo is famous for having very tight control and there was money involved from Nintendo. Even if funding was just advertising (and there's no evidence for your claim either), there may be legal complications in using the gamecube script.

Link

"As previously reported, costumes from Tales of Vesperia will be in Tales of Symphonia Chronicles HD. Sheena will get one outfit based on Judith and Colette will get an outfit based on Rita. Famitsu.com reports how these costumes will be available—they’ll be unlocked in a New Game+ mode. However, if you have a Tales of Vesperia save on your PS3, you’ll be able to use them in your first playthrough."

What a mean, mean joke they're playing on Americans. Not that I care much about costumes, but it's stuff like this that just make me bitter. I'll play ToV someday...

Tales of Graces had costumes for Tales of Destiny 2 which never came out here (our ToD2 was really Tales of Eternia). However, I still think it was dumb not to bring out ToV for the PS3 (in the US). Maybe they'll still bring it out as a budget title when nobody cares for PS3 anymore lol

Tales of Graces had costumes for Tales of Destiny 2 which never came out here (our ToD2 was really Tales of Eternia). However, I still think it was dumb not to bring out ToV for the PS3 (in the US). Maybe they'll still bring it out as a budget title when nobody cares for PS3 anymore lol
Here's your options:

1. Buy an Xbox 360 this holiday and ToV. The 360 actually has some good exclusives and I'm sure it won't be that expensive on Black Friday...

2. Import the Japanese version and learn Japanese.

3. Pray that they release it on PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-20-microsoft-blocked-ps3-tales-of-vesperia

Microsoft paid Namco Bandai to keep Tales of Vesperia a Western Xbox 360 exclusive. That's why the belated, expanded PlayStation 3 version never made it outside of Japan. "Microsoft paid for the exclusivity the same way Sony paid for having Heavy Rain only on PS3," revealed Namco Bandai community manager Charlotte Toci in a Facebook post caught by RPG Site. "It's just one way the business works, sadly. "Those decisions are made really high up y'know, we do try and give them the max of fan feedback, but sometimes it's just out of our hands." Tales of Vesperia, an overlooked JRPG, comes thoroughly recommended by Eurogamer. "Namco is to be applauded for updating the series with no small amount of consideration and flair, an effort that has resulted in the strongest entry to the aging series yet, and one which makes up for its lack of polish with an abundance of detail, character and, dare I say it, soul," wrote Simon Parkin in Eurogamer's Tales of Vesperia review.
By the way, ToV is really really good...

Good on costumes, I hated original Colette one.

So, can you download ToV JP save file and stick it on PS3 with USB? I realize you probably can't load the save file, but will it work for unlocks?

Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia were all made by the same team. You might want to give those other titles a try. Graces was made by the team that did the Tales of Destiny series along with Rebirth that never came out here..

Time will tell as we'll find out. I prefer not to be disappointed with a cop out, but who knows. Nintendo is famous for having very tight control and there was money involved from Nintendo. Even if funding was just advertising (and there's no evidence for your claim either), there may be legal complications in using the gamecube script.
What evidence did you present? Did anyone ever show you proof that the dub was Nintendo's property?

Either way, it doesn't matter since we now know that they're not redubbing and the added content will just be text.

What is it saying then?
My guess is that she was forced to recant.

I don't foresee ToV coming out on PS4, and I don't foresee buying an Xbox. Might try to borrow one from a friend some day after he gets the next-gen system and a fair backlog.

My guess is that she was forced to recant.
This. Go through and read it carefully. It's written in a way that doesn't actually state she wasn't telling the truth, just that there was "no evidence". There was probably some kind of leak involved and Eurogamer wouldn't stand up for her right to freedom of speech (assuming that right exists in whatever te country is) in the face of a MS lawsuit.

I don't foresee ToV coming out on PS4, and I don't foresee buying an Xbox. Might try to borrow one from a friend some day after he gets the next-gen system and a fair backlog.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a future release. I really doubt Namco signed it away forever, probably just related to PS3. It's a real shame the Japanese version is missing the English language dubs and subtitles.

bread's done
Back