Tales of the abyss PS2 $19.99 at GS (USED) was $44.99

Go to your shopping cart, update the number of games to some outrageous number (like 100), then see how many copies it limits to you. (Just don't check out with that many copies in your cart.)

[quote name='FeralWraith']Go to your shopping cart, update the number of games to some outrageous number (like 100), then see how many copies it limits to you. (Just don't check out with that many copies in your cart.)[/QUOTE]

Showing at 76 at the moment for me.

Didn't realize this was that hard to get anymore. Have mine still sealed along with a mint strategy guide sitting in my backlog, that I will probably never get to.

[quote name='romeogbs19']That's true, but that was because Atlus wanted to celebrate the release of its other Persona games, I think that one was timed with the release of Persona on the PSP. It hoped to grab some attention and hook new players.
[/QUOTE]

Persona 2 and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure on the PSX were both reprinted in 2005 due to Game Quest Direct. Neither had any significant reason for them to be reprinted besides heavy demand at the time.

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']That free shipping laborday code doesn't seem to be stacking with cag16 for me, that is too bad...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just tried and CAG16 + LABORDAY doesn't work. :cry:

Copies everywhere around me... it's weird how these PS2 games are getting reprinted. I'm guessing either Shadow Hearts or .hack 4 is next. Probably .hack since Shadow Hearts' has a more complicated publisher history.

This is definitely a reprint.

I checked my area when this deal first got posted - only 2 stores in a 100 mile radius had it, none near me.

I come back to the thread, see talk of a reprint, and check the locator again - now every store except 1 in my area suddenly has copies.

Unless people are trading this in en masse, it's probably a reprint.

Reprint = more available copies, meaning rarity goes down the tubes. So for a collector, yes, this is bad. For those looking to play it, it's a good thing. (Except that it's through Gamestop....bleh.)

(speaking of reprints that lost value)

persona 2 is still one of the most expensive ps1 games(would be worth more if not for the reprint probably).

rhapsody was a bit pricey for a while too, now its not worth much.

Thanks for the heads up. May be a reprint, but I was able to snag a minty complete copy from in store today, so it's a good deal.

[quote name='romeogbs19']That's true, but that was because Atlus wanted to celebrate the release of its other Persona games, I think that one was timed with the release of Persona on the PSP. It hoped to grab some attention and hook new players.

In this case, however, there's no real connection with the reprint and the Tales series. It's not like a new Tales game is set for release in the States and there's little attention being given to the reprint (similar to how Xenosaga III was done).

Strange. At least when Atlus does these, they tie it to new new SMT games so it's strategically a cross-over effect (i.e. raise interest in new release, and then gamers will search for other titles in the series).[/QUOTE]

I was surprised that crap game as well as Rhapsody were reprinted, while Tactics Ogre: LUCT was not. But at least they did reprint Saiyuki, so that was some consolation. They did remake Persona 1 years later(my favorite in the persona franchise). Now if they would reprint TO:TKoL I would be set(I lost my copy when I moved).

[quote name='animalspinners']This is definitely a reprint.

I checked my area when this deal first got posted - only 2 stores in a 100 mile radius had it, none near me.

I come back to the thread, see talk of a reprint, and check the locator again - now every store except 1 in my area suddenly has copies.

Unless people are trading this in en masse, it's probably a reprint.[/QUOTE]

Same deal for me.

Just got my copy from the mail (surprised it got here so fast, but anyway), yes, it is a reprint (no memory card holder). But hey, at least the copy is immaculate. Sucks for collectors, but at least those who are interested in playing it get the chance now. As much as I hate to admit it, this was a half-decent deal by Gamestop (as long as we set aside the fact that they molested all of these before shipping them out).

What we need now is an in store B2G1. Find 2 more 19.99 titles and get all 3 for 13.33 each(before Edge). Sounds like an incredible deal for a once rare game.

So i went to a GS today, looking for Abyss.

They had it in the used section, and when i brought the game box(which had manual and it was pristine) to the front to get the disk and pay, the GS rep couldnt even find the game disk!

so i asked if i could buy the box and manual, and he just gave them to me.

pretty sweet(plus i already ordered 2 copies off of GS online).

got mine today and it came complete, nothing's missing! everything looks pristine, like someone just removed the shrinkwrap.

I wonder about these reprints. Do they just skip the wrapping phase during manufacturing? Is this to avoid infuriating the collectors? Anyway, if you don't own this game you should buy it; it's definitely one of the best RPGs ever.

Got my copy today. Complete and mint. Like everyone else is saying, its a remake for sure but heck I don't care. $20 and I can (finally) play this game? Couldn't be happier.

Damn! I sold a copy of this on Ebay and it fetched almost $80 from a guy in Singapore! I didnt want to do it but needed the money... Looks like its time to hunt down a copy for my collection.

is acually cheaper online than in store. I order 30 and sold 27 on amazon. I collect rpgs so I will keep one for myself. if you put in

SAVER: free shipping even if u buy 1 copy
and
CAG16: 16% off any used game plus ur gamestop card + 10% off

like 15 bucks

[quote name='Dnell']is acually cheaper online than in store. I order 30 and sold 27 on amazon. I collect rpgs so I will keep one for myself. if you put in

SAVER: free shipping even if u buy 1 copy
and
CAG16: 16% off any used game plus ur gamestop card + 10% off

like 15 bucks[/QUOTE]Damn. :applause: How much $ did you make after seller fees?

[quote name='brewin']Damn! I sold a copy of this on Ebay and it fetched almost $80 from a guy in Singapore! I didnt want to do it but needed the money... Looks like its time to hunt down a copy for my collection.[/QUOTE]
Suddenly, Made in USA becomes synonymous with reprint copies. Just kidding. Oh, well.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Damn. :applause: How much $ did you make after seller fees?[/QUOTE]
when the sell just started i was selling for 44.95 - 10 for fee, but + 3.99 or 6.99 depending on speed of arival and -2.37 shipping and stamp not that bad and if you selling a lot, extra bucks in your pocket easy or more. like 30 of each, but now selling the 2 left for 35 and at the least 20. if i only made 20 on each counting fees, thats a profit of 600

Geez, GS must have lots of copies. I was able to add 100 into my cart-haha.

I'll probably just buy 1 or 2 copies since everyone has reported getting immaculate Tales of the Abyss.

[quote name='Dnell']is acually cheaper online than in store. I order 30 and sold 27 on amazon. I collect rpgs so I will keep one for myself. if you put in[/QUOTE]
Won't GameStop ban your account?

I've heard of CAGs getting banned for ordering 5+ copies of a game, since GS won't sell to resellers.

no, well in a gamestop in tampa, university mall. I got banned for buying someone ps3 cause gamestop was ripping them off. Every time i go there, i take there buseness and the manager got mad and called security. 2 piss him off more, i stand out side the store and buy people stuff. online, i never been banned and when b2g1 arives i go out, there is a play n trade thats a lil better though. buy any 2 games, get one free. new or old neo geo, snes, ps3, wonder sound, anything. I clean them out of there rare and good games.

[quote name='default_shepard']I wonder about these reprints. Do they just skip the wrapping phase during manufacturing? Is this to avoid infuriating the collectors?[/QUOTE]It's a nice thought, but if companies were concerned with the happiness of collectors, they wouldn't be reprinting the game in the first place.

The one good thing about games eventually being exclusively available via Live, PSN, etc. is that "rare games" will be a thing of the past. :)

Well, until those services get pulled offline that is...

I'm glad companies do reprints of games like this. I've been wanting to play this game for a long time now, but I wasn't going to pay the premium to do so. Collectors can go eat a dick. What's the point of having something great if it's just to sit on the shelf where no one can enjoy it? I own a bunch of "rare" game, and I'm glad every time one of them is reprinted.

Will someone with a reprint copy from GS read the serial numbers around thd spindle of the disc and post them here. I am curious about the difference. Mine says 1FP1 L332 PDSS-022645A1 1

So if there was a reprint, where can we get a NEW copy of this? GS can't be the only option out there, right?
They probably just didn't want to go through the extra process of sealing the game, I'd imagine selling them as used through gamestop maximizes the distribution and minimizes the effort.

[quote name='Dnell']no, well in a gamestop in tampa, university mall. I got banned for buying someone ps3 cause gamestop was ripping them off. Every time i go there, i take there buseness and the manager got mad and called security. 2 piss him off more, i stand out side the store and buy people stuff. online, i never been banned and when b2g1 arives i go out, there is a play n trade thats a lil better though. buy any 2 games, get one free. new or old neo geo, snes, ps3, wonder sound, anything. I clean them out of there rare and good games.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you're cool! By the way, what exactly is "people stuff?", do you run a black market for organs or something? Also, any chance you can hook me up with a wonder sound?

are the reprints you guys are getting mint and with boxart/manual? if i buy one is there a good chance i'll get one?

[quote name='nieon']are the reprints you guys are getting mint and with boxart/manual? if i buy one is there a good chance i'll get one?[/QUOTE]
yes

Working at a Gamestop I think the recent price drop was due to them switching all their new copies of Abyss to used. Living in San Diego 4 of our stores received practically pristine condition case and disc. Once Gamestop get rid of the excess stock they will undoubtedly raise it back up. If you live in east San Diego sorry but I bought the 3 of the 4 copies.

Just ordered mine today. Was going to order it awhile ago but it went OOS but just remembered about this deal. Hopefully it comes complete like everyone is reporting. Just for kicks I added 100 copies, they must have a large amount of these in the warehouse. Nice to finally be able to play this game, was not about to spend $40+ on it with the backlog that I have.

[quote name='Toss']Will someone with a reprint copy from GS read the serial numbers around thd spindle of the disc and post them here. I am curious about the difference. Mine says 1FP1 L332 PDSS-022645A1 1[/QUOTE]
I have an old copy and the numbers are IFPI L332 PDSS-022465A1 1. My reprint copy is IFPI L330 PDSS-022465A1 3. With my old eyes, I needed to employ a magnifying glass, but I had the numbers confirmed by a younger set of eyes as well. Your 1's in the first section may also be I's.

[quote name='spbusdriver']Working at a Gamestop I think the recent price drop was due to them switching all their new copies of Abyss to used. Living in San Diego 4 of our stores received practically pristine condition case and disc. Once Gamestop get rid of the excess stock they will undoubtedly raise it back up. If you live in east San Diego sorry but I bought the 3 of the 4 copies.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately I live near the cost in San Diego, so I was able to pick up the last copy (at least that's what the guy told me) at the Del Mar GS. I may check their inventory online tomorrow when it should be updated.

As others have said, pristine condition....doesn't look like the disk has ever been touched and no shelfwear on the case.

Now I just need to figure out why I bought this game. Never heard about it before this thread, but everyone was so psyched about it I figured I should pick it up while I could. At least I have a first-gen PS3 with hardware BC so I can play it w/o buying a PS2.

I'll wait for the downloadable 1080p version for the PS4. 20 blades is still too high for such an old game. Just wait until next gen.

bread's done
Back