Tales Of Vesperia 29.99 new on Amazon.com

I don't see what the hub bub is about with TOV going on PS3. If you love the game so damned much just buy the PS3 version when It's out to (it would be worth beating twice, right?) not every game is going to the PS3 and not every game is going to the 360. God forbid the US have some JRPG exclusives (This and Lost Odyssey are pretty damn good reasons to get a 360 for JRPGS to me).

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news...s-to-release-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-in-the-us/

While I can't supply any link re: MS paying for the translation, here's news that many of us pretty much expected -- Namco announcing that it has no intentions of bringing ToV to the PS3.

As much as I'd like to see PS3 owners play this game, I understand where Namco is coming from. It just doesn't make any business sense. Too bad some gamers can't see that. I don't want Namco wasting its dollars on this port when it can spend it on ToV2 and other titles.

[quote name='romeogbs19']http://www.gamepro.com/article/news...s-to-release-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-in-the-us/

While I can't supply any link re: MS paying for the translation, here's news that many of us pretty much expected -- Namco announcing that it has no intentions of bringing ToV to the PS3.

As much as I'd like to see PS3 owners play this game, I understand where Namco is coming from. It just doesn't make any business sense. Too bad some gamers can't see that. I don't want Namco wasting its dollars on this port when it can spend it on ToV2 and other titles.[/QUOTE]

The clearest indication that Mircrosoft paid money for it is the fact that the game was an Xbox exclusive when it first came out (there was a ToV Edition 360 - http://www.shopncsx.com/talesofvesperialimitededitionitems.aspx ) IN JAPAN.

At this point, anytime a game (3rd party) is Microsoft exclusive it's pretty easy to figure they paid for it. Since they paid for it in Japan (think Mistwalker games) they paid for it to come over to the states. Obviously the exclusivity is up but Microsoft has no interest in helping Sony get the game over here for the PS3.

I can't find (nor am I going to bother browsing all over the place for) the articles I read back in the day about this, but it's really simple business. If you have both systems you're better off getting the game now while it's popping up.

Also, ToS was exclusive to the GameCube in the US only (it had the Only for logo for a reason). Nintendo paid for it to be that way and if I recall correctly ToS came out for the GCN first in Japan and later they prob made a special edition on the PS2...

[quote name='prateeko']The clearest indication that Mircrosoft paid money for it is the fact that the game was an Xbox exclusive when it first came out (there was a ToV Edition 360 - http://www.shopncsx.com/talesofvesperialimitededitionitems.aspx ) IN JAPAN.

At this point, anytime a game (3rd party) is Microsoft exclusive it's pretty easy to figure they paid for it. Since they paid for it in Japan (think Mistwalker games) they paid for it to come over to the states. Obviously the exclusivity is up but Microsoft has no interest in helping Sony get the game over here for the PS3.

I can't find (nor am I going to bother browsing all over the place for) the articles I read back in the day about this, but it's really simple business. If you have both systems you're better off getting the game now while it's popping up.

Also, ToS was exclusive to the GameCube in the US only (it had the Only for logo for a reason). Nintendo paid for it to be that way and if I recall correctly ToS came out for the GCN first in Japan and later they prob made a special edition on the PS2...[/QUOTE]

MS also paid for Star Ocean 4 and we are getting it next month. I hang out at Tales site and never read anything about MS paying for the translation. As we learned from Ninja Gaiden 2 and GTA4 DLC, MS only pay for exclusive to for a limited time.

Also SCEA was actully pushing Namco Bandi to publish Vepseria for PS3 in the US

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8996035

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']MS also paid for Star Ocean 4 and we are getting it next month. I hang out at Tales site and never read anything about MS paying for the translation. As we learned from Ninja Gaiden 2 and GTA4 DLC, MS only pay for exclusive to for a limited time.

Also SCEA was actully pushing Namco Bandi to publish Vepseria for PS3 in the US

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8996035[/QUOTE]

Those games are more likely timed exclusives. Like someone have stated before Tales of Verperia exclusive deal with Microsoft in the US is similar to what Nintendo had with Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube.

This game is already 2 to 3 years old, it really makes no business sense for Namco to port it over to the PS3 when they can focus their time and resources on ToV2.

$30 for one of the greatest JRPG is steal. $15 during Black Friday was one of the best deals ever. Like all the other Tales games, its just a matter of time before it goes OOP and you'll have to fork even more to have it.

[quote name='leopaw']Those games are more likely timed exclusives. Like someone have stated before Tales of Verperia exclusive deal with Microsoft in the US is similar to what Nintendo had with Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube.

This game is already 2 to 3 years old, it really makes no business sense for Namco to port it over to the PS3 when they can focus their time and resources on ToV2.

$30 for one of the greatest JRPG is steal. $15 during Black Friday was one of the best deals ever. Like all the other Tales games, its just a matter of time before it goes OOP and you'll have to fork even more to have it.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it any better. Those waiting to play ToV on the PS3 (esp. if you have a 360) are not making a wise decision by holding out. Star Ocean was a timed exclusive, but the Tales games have always been platform exclusive in the States. Symphonia on the GCN, Abyss and Legendia on the PS2, and Symphonia 2 and Graces on the Wii. I doubt Namco is going to change that now with ToV on the 360. MS clearly paid to own that title on the 360 and it was smart business (considering it caused the 360 to sell out in Japan -- http://kotaku.com/5036846/the-xbox-360-akihabara-store-sell-out) ... it also paid to get the game out in the States. In all likelihood, MS owns the dub on the US version. This would mean Namco or Sony would have to pay a handsome price to get the game re-dubbed. Do that on a title that's now over a year old? No matter the extras, that would be borderline stupid.

It's sort of Ace Combat 6 -- I'm pretty sure MS owns that title. Rightly or wrongly, MS knows what titles to pay the royal dollars for to "own" the game in the States and abroad.

I do hope ToV2 is platform agnostic, but something tells me that one will be exclusive, too. May be the PS3 will get that one -- though that wouldn't make any sense. I'm thinking the 360 will get ToV2. It could be smart for Namco to build separate Tales franchises on each platform (Vesperia on 360, Symphonia on Nintendo, and ??? on PS3).

I want ToV2 -- so selfishly, I don't want Namco wasting resources on ToV1 -- there's been much talk of a sequel for ToV and its clearly built a loyal following.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Couldn't have said it any better. Those waiting to play ToV on the PS3 (esp. if you have a 360) are not making a wise decision by holding out. Star Ocean was a timed exclusive, but the Tales games have always been platform exclusive in the States. Symphonia on the GCN, Abyss and Legendia on the PS2, and Symphonia 2 and Graces on the Wii. I doubt Namco is going to change that now with ToV on the 360. MS clearly paid to own that title on the 360 and it was smart business (considering it caused the 360 to sell out in Japan -- http://kotaku.com/5036846/the-xbox-360-akihabara-store-sell-out) ... it also paid to get the game out in the States. In all likelihood, MS owns the dub on the US version. This would mean Namco or Sony would have to pay a handsome price to get the game re-dubbed. Do that on a title that's now over a year old? No matter the extras, that would be borderline stupid.

It's sort of Ace Combat 6 -- I'm pretty sure MS owns that title. Rightly or wrongly, MS knows what titles to pay the royal dollars for to "own" the game in the States and abroad.

I do hope ToV2 is platform agnostic, but something tells me that one will be exclusive, too. May be the PS3 will get that one -- though that wouldn't make any sense. I'm thinking the 360 will get ToV2. It could be smart for Namco to build separate Tales franchises on each platform (Vesperia on 360, Symphonia on Nintendo, and ??? on PS3).

I want ToV2 -- so selfishly, I don't want Namco wasting resources on ToV1 -- there's been much talk of a sequel for ToV and its clearly built a loyal following.[/QUOTE]

Again I would like to see solid proof that MS paid for the dub. The other exclusive that MS made a big deal about, Ninja Gaiden 2 and GTA4 DLC, were only for a limited time. I dont see how ToV is any different.

It would make no sense for ToV2 to be on Xbox 360 when the PS3 did better than the Xbox 360 version did worldwide.

[quote name='62t']Again I would like to see solid proof that MS paid for the dub. The other exclusive that MS made a big deal about, Ninja Gaiden 2 and GTA4 DLC, were only for a limited time. I dont see how ToV is any different.

It would make no sense for ToV2 to be on Xbox 360 when the PS3 did better than the Xbox 360 version did worldwide.[/QUOTE]

It's a matter of cost and sales. Tales of Vesperia didn't sell all that well in the states and that's on the larger install base. I'm guessing Eternal Sonata PS3 didn't sell that well either. So Namco-Bandai has little incentive to spend time and money on a special edition of Tales for the US PS3 when it won't sell.

And as far as Square-Enix goes, I honestly feel like it's easier to sell star ocean and that their marketing is better as compared to the tales series.

I mean, you can be a skeptic all you want but if Tales of Vesperia were to be coming for the US Namco-Bandai should have announced it by now. I remember being pissed when I got Eternal for the 360 because shortly thereafter they let it be known the special edition would come to the PS3 in the US. Hasn't really been the case with that here...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I don't see what the hub bub is about with TOV going on PS3. If you love the game so damned much just buy the PS3 version when It's out to (it would be worth beating twice, right?) not every game is going to the PS3 and not every game is going to the 360. God forbid the US have some JRPG exclusives (This and Lost Odyssey are pretty damn good reasons to get a 360 for JRPGS to me).[/QUOTE]

Extra content.

I have both consoles with a preference for my PS3. I don't mind playing ToV on the 360, and am 2/3rds of my way through my 2nd playthough right now. I didn't use any kind of guide my first playthrough and was out of a lot of missable stuff by the end. It's fun, but the weakness in the story/storytelling are more obvious the second time through.

Anyway, still love the game. It's not having the extra content that makes me wishing for a NA release of the ps3 version.

[quote name='prateeko']It's a matter of cost and sales. Tales of Vesperia didn't sell all that well in the states and that's on the larger install base. I'm guessing Eternal Sonata PS3 didn't sell that well either. So Namco-Bandai has little incentive to spend time and money on a special edition of Tales for the US PS3 when it won't sell.

And as far as Square-Enix goes, I honestly feel like it's easier to sell star ocean and that their marketing is better as compared to the tales series.

I mean, you can be a skeptic all you want but if Tales of Vesperia were to be coming for the US Namco-Bandai should have announced it by now. I remember being pissed when I got Eternal for the 360 because shortly thereafter they let it be known the special edition would come to the PS3 in the US. Hasn't really been the case with that here...[/QUOTE]

That would be a more logical reason that saying MS paid for the dub.

But remember Namco never confirmed PS3 Eternal Sonata until 3 months before release.

[quote name='62t']That would be a more logical reason that saying MS paid for the dub.

But remember Namco never confirmed PS3 Eternal Sonata until 3 months before release.[/QUOTE]

Well, duh. Hey, you can be skeptical (I remember reading this but I can't recall where and I'm not going to hunt for it). The business reason is sort of obvious. The game is 1+ year old and again, the history of Tales games doesn't support a multi-platform approach (though that 2nd argument is lacking given how many franchises are now platform agnostic).

The dubbing argument though isn't anything new. Nintendo did the same thing with Twin Snakes. You'll recall the whole game was re-dubbed, and that's a case where no new dialogue was added. Nintendo had to do that because it didn't have the rights to the original recordings. The same can be said with Symphona, as someone already mentioned.

Hey, you can wait for ToV on PS3 -- I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other. I guess my take is that for those who really want to play it, I just think that waiting it out doesn't make much sense -- especially if you have a 360.

Was there ever any news on whether or not releasing Eternal Sonata on the second console was or wasn't a bust for them? If it still didn't get the sales they were seeking it might have convinced them not to localize an upgrade again if the game sold poorly on the first release.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Well, duh. Hey, you can be skeptical (I remember reading this but I can't recall where and I'm not going to hunt for it). The business reason is sort of obvious. The game is 1+ year old and again, the history of Tales games doesn't support a multi-platform approach (though that 2nd argument is lacking given how many franchises are now platform agnostic).

The dubbing argument though isn't anything new. Nintendo did the same thing with Twin Snakes. You'll recall the whole game was re-dubbed, and that's a case where no new dialogue was added. Nintendo had to do that because it didn't have the rights to the original recordings. The same can be said with Symphona, as someone already mentioned.

Hey, you can wait for ToV on PS3 -- I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other. I guess my take is that for those who really want to play it, I just think that waiting it out doesn't make much sense -- especially if you have a 360.[/QUOTE]
I already got ToV on Xbox 360 (on release date) but that doesnt stop me from wanting it on PS3. Not sure if there is any real history to go by since this is only the second Tales game on release on 2 different console (not including port). And no Twin Snake got a new dubbing because there was problem with the original quality. Just because Nintendo paid for Symphona doesn't mean MS did the same with Vesperia.

Put it this way, if there is any solid evidence on MS paying for the dubbing, it would be all over internet now. Seeing how there no nothing on this at any Tales site means it probably didn't happen.

[quote name='robbart914']Was there ever any news on whether or not releasing Eternal Sonata on the second console was or wasn't a bust for them? If it still didn't get the sales they were seeking it might have convinced them not to localize an upgrade again if the game sold poorly on the first release.[/QUOTE]
I doubt it did well. The first one didn't sell well and the second one wasn't out at retail for very long indicating the response wasn't good enough to justify printing more than the initial (few?) batches.

As for Microsoft paying - you wouldn't hear about it much. They paid for BioShock to be Xbox/PC exclusive (the stamp said exclusive one Xbox and Windows if I recall) but it was mentioned only a little (on BioShock forums really).

If you have it and you're not playing because you're waiting for the PS3 super version that's a waste IMO. And like others have said, if you have both systems then go ahead and get this game - well worth it (even in the minuscule chance a PS3 version comes out)

bread's done
Back