Target $24 games survey

beane316

CAGiversary!
Feedback
372 (100%)
With the deal starting today, I was wondering what games people thought would be worth the $24 on the DS...

I have a decent amount and was personally thinking of Spectrobes and Kirby since I have most of the others...but I was wondering what other people were thinking about. :) New Super Mario Bros. is a steal at that price too IMO

I have both...and while I haven't had much time with FF3, I must say that PoR is very good and easily worth the 24 bones

I'm thinking about going to pricematch Hotel Dusk and Diddy Kong Racing at Best Buy and getting the double reward points.

Update: I just saw that Diddy Kong Racing was $20 at Circuit City. for anyone else that was thinking about picking it up.

I really would not suggest Yoshi's Island. I LOVED the first one but was recently just flat out frustrated and bored with the DS sequel. I also can't contribute my love of the first one to child hood memories since I only played it on the GBA a couple of years ago and enjoyed every minute of it.

[quote name='phreak5k']I'm thinking about going to pricematch Hotel Dusk and Diddy Kong Racing at Best Buy and getting the double reward points.

Update: I just saw that Diddy Kong Racing was $20 at Circuit City. for anyone else that was thinking about picking it up.[/quote]

Diddy is on sale at Circuit City for $19.99 in case you have one of those nearby...or if the $4 is worth it for the reward points lol

Edit: Nevermind, I suck at reading :D

[quote name='phreak5k']I really would not suggest Yoshi's Island. I LOVED the first one but was recently just flat out frustrated and bored with the DS sequel. I also can't contribute my love of the first one to child hood memories since I only played it on the GBA a couple of years ago and enjoyed every minute of it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I beat it and did enjoy it some. But it's probably a 7.5 for me when the first one is a 10 for me.

The level design is pretty bland, and there are far to many cheap deaths (not that it matters since they give you so many lives).

But it's worth playing IMO, it just doesn't live up to the pedigree of it's predecessor.

People might want to try to pricematch Jump! Ultimate Stars at Best Buy (or Circuit City if they carry it). I'm pretty sure Target does not carry imports and this would be a great way to get a $40+ game for $25. Some people enjoy the game but I couldn't get into it because I'm not really a fan of any characters in the game and the language barrier was too much for me to try and push through.

[quote name='phreak5k']People might want to try to pricematch Jump! Ultimate Stars at Best Buy (or Circuit City if they carry it). I'm pretty sure Target does not carry imports and this would be a great way to get a $40+ game for $25. Some people enjoy the game but I couldn't get into it because I'm not really a fan of any characters in the game and the language barrier was too much for me to try and push through.[/quote]

That's not a bad idea...I may try that since everyone talks about how rulish that game is and all...I'm going tuesday so if anyone does this before then...please post!

It's going to be YMMV on getting any of the import games. Best Buy's policy regarding price match is that any item must be in stock at the competitor you are price matching it from, and the cashiers are supposed to call the other store to check. The ones here rarely do, but if they do, you'll be out of luck. I would recommend going during busy times when they might not want to take the time.

I went to Circuit City to get Diddy Kong Racing and Meteos: Disney Magic for $19.99 each, which will be Easter basket gifts for my kids, and then I had them price match Kirby Squeak Squad and Wario: Master of Disguise from the Target ad (those two will be birthday gifts for my son)

Later we were at Target and my daughter bought Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 : March of the Minis as a birthday gift for her brother.

I've yet to see JUS at BB. I see JSS all the time though.

I picked up Kirby Squeak Squad from this sale. The only DS game I'm interested in that I don't already own, really.

I got Elite Beat Agent, Kirby S.S. and Wario Master of Disguise.

Might also get Hotel Dusk and Diddy Kong Racing.

I already have games like Mario Kart, New Super Bros, Yoshi's Island DS.

[quote name='fk51785']I got Elite Beat Agent, Kirby S.S. and Wario Master of Disguise.

Might also get Hotel Dusk and Diddy Kong Racing.

I already have games like Mario Kart, New Super Bros, Yoshi's Island DS.[/quote]

As was already posted, remember that CC has DKR for $20 this week. If you have no CC nearby, PM at a BB.

Acronym, ho!

What should I get? I feel silly not taking advantage of this, but I don't think there's much left that I haven't played and want to play.

Yoshi's Island 2 is the only one I'm kind of thinking of. I didn't think the original was anything special, but I've enjoyed Artoon's games, so I'd probably like YI2 better. If nothing else, the "different babies" mechanic sounds fun.
...but I'm not sure if it's worth $24 to me. Not without playing it that is...

Besides that I don't know. I already have New Super Mario Bros., the Castlevania games, Final Fantasy, MegaMan ZX, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, and Wario: Master of Disguise (which I got for $10 off, but am thinking of returning do to the poor reviews).

Any ideas? (NOT including PC-style adventure games-I got more than enough of that from Phoenix Wright 1).

Kirby Squeak Squad is a blast. Buy it if you don't have it already. Great game for $24.

I also hear Elite Beat Agents is a good time for $24. I prefer Ouendan myself ;)

I was going to get Portrait of Ruin because it's $35 and I could make the best of the deal with it but they didn't have it. I'd been wanting EBA since it came out so I got it.

EBA is so fun. I haven't had a game that makes you go "just one more" or that makes me stay up too late for a long time, but EBA is one of them.

Well, I enjoyed YI2, but I haven't gotten to the end yet. I can understand the complaints about it, but I'd say it is good quality.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Well, I enjoyed YI2, but I haven't gotten to the end yet. I can understand the complaints about it, but I'd say it is good quality.[/QUOTE]

I actually completed this, and it was quite the challenge. I've unlocked a few of the secret levels and I consider them impossible to complete, so I lost interest after that. But I had a good time getting through the end of the main game (which is hard but not imppssible ;)).

Is anyone considering Lunar Knights? I may try to get GC to PM that. Yes, my local GC store does PMing. I almost had them PM Chromehounds last week but their only "new" copy was open and all scratched up (WTF??), so I passed and just got it for $15 AC at Best Buy. I have GC credit to burn so I prefer that to cash ($20 in GC credit would have been better than $15 at BB). But Lunar Knights at $24 I'll jump on. The only issue will be that it isn't pictured in the Target ad. We'll see how that goes. I asked at a few other GC's and they said no to price matching, so very YMMV on that.

Is it BB or CC that has Bully for $20? That's another I may PM. Problem is both those stores stopped putting ads in my Sunday paper, so I have to go to them to get copies of their fliers. Very annoying...

[quote name='tuffcookie']Target has Final Fantasy III for $24.00?? Is this in-store or online?[/quote] i've checked target online for FF III, its still listed at $39.99

Is it BB or CC that has Bully for $20? That's another I may PM. Problem is both those stores stopped putting ads in my Sunday paper, so I have to go to them to get copies of their fliers. Very annoying...[/quote]

I believe it's CC that has this one

>> I made the mistake of buying Spectrobes when it was on sale. Needless to say "Spectrobes up for trade for decent offer". I wouldn't say its a bad game, just slightly disappointing in that I had hoped it would rip off pokemon more in some ways and less in others.

I got Final Fantasy 3 & Kirby Squeak Squad. They have lots of other good games there that are a bargain at $24(Mario Kart, NSMB, Elite Beat Agents, and Animal Crossing are the ones that stood out to me), but those were really the only two I didn't already have that I was interested in. But yeah, I can't recommend EBA enough, that game(and Ouendan as well) is a bargain even at full price. I've gotten way more game time out of EBA & Ouendan than most of the DS games I own.

I am considering going back for a copy of Nintendogs later in the week, but I'm still not sure if I want it, even at $24.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']I am considering going back for a copy of Nintendogs later in the week, but I'm still not sure if I want it, even at $24.[/QUOTE]

Nintendogs is worth every cent even at full price. I just love that game.
smileyBlushNA.gif

I'd actually love to get a couple of DS games now but I feel Target chose a bad time. So far during this year, I've been spending and saving a whole lot of money to spend later on things I already want. It seems I never see good DS games go on sale for such a low price but does anybody expect this to happen again anytime soon?

I picked up:

Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros.

But, I don't have many DS games so I needed to get some core hits. Plus, Nintendo first-party titles take forever to drop in price.

Got my requisite copy of FFIII for $24 at the store near my house last night. Last one, hidden down on the floor of the case under a stack of other games. Woo.

I'm thinking about biting again before this sale is up, maybe picking up two more games. Candidates:

- Phoenix Wright 2
- Hotel Dusk
- Clubhouse Games (can probably get cheaper elsewhere)
- Theme Park (enjoyed the PC version back in the day, but don't know much about the DS incarnation)
- Settlers (know nothing about this but everyone keeps saying it's great)

io: I have Lunar Knights. I'm maybe 2/5 of the way through it and I've quite enjoyed it. Heavy on the action with some nice RPG aspects (upgrading your weapons using various materials collected in the game, sort of like the gem system in Children of Mana). I put it down to play the first Phoenix Wright and now Children of Mana, but I plan to pick it up again eventually.

[quote name='io']I actually completed this, and it was quite the challenge. I've unlocked a few of the secret levels and I consider them impossible to complete, so I lost interest after that. But I had a good time getting through the end of the main game (which is hard but not imppssible ;)).
Hmm...maybe I'll pass then. Not interested in anything that's very hard.

Is anyone considering Lunar Knights?

I guess this is the only other game I might be interested in. I can't quite decide. I'm COMPLETELY burnt out on dungeon hacks, and completely burnt out from the first Boktai...but then this doesn't use that solar aspect, so....maybe.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']I am considering going back for a copy of Nintendogs later in the week, but I'm still not sure if I want it, even at $24.[/quote]

Nintendogs is a great little game at first, but IMO, the fact that it operates on real time, meaning you HAVE to play several times a day to take proper care of your dog, makes it really annoying. If they had installed some sort of option to run the game on some sort of Sims type of time line (or no time element at all), OR real time, giving the player the choice, I'd go buy another copy... or I wouldn't have sold my copy off to begin with :lol:

Just keep in mind you need to give it some time each day if you don't want your dog to run off, not trust you, etc.

I have a real dog... I didn't need the responsibility of and the guilt trip from some little pixelated ones, too! ;)

Now if I could just train my dog to find me wrapped presents on the sidewalk :cry:

[quote name='PleasantOne']Nintendogs is a great little game at first, but IMO, the fact that it operates on real time, meaning you HAVE to play several times a day to take proper care of your dog, makes it really annoying. If they had installed some sort of option to run the game on some sort of Sims type of time line (or no time element at all), OR real time, giving the player the choice, I'd go buy another copy... or I wouldn't have sold my copy off to begin with :lol: [/quote]

That's one of the reasons I didn't buy it. I'm burnt out on that from Animal Crossing. It was sort of interesting as a gimmick in one game, but it's not something I really want to repeat.

I have a real dog... I didn't need the responsibility of and the guilt trip from some little pixelated ones, too! ;)

Aaaand that's the other reason. I'd feel pretty stupid doing stuff with it when I should be spending time with my real dog.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Now if I could just train my dog to find me wrapped presents on the sidewalk :cry:[/quote]

My dog leaves little presents on the sidewalk, but I have to wrap them myself. :roll:

[quote name='PleasantOne']Nintendogs is a great little game at first, but IMO, the fact that it operates on real time, meaning you HAVE to play several times a day to take proper care of your dog, makes it really annoying. If they had installed some sort of option to run the game on some sort of Sims type of time line (or no time element at all), OR real time, giving the player the choice, I'd go buy another copy... or I wouldn't have sold my copy off to begin with :lol:

Just keep in mind you need to give it some time each day if you don't want your dog to run off, not trust you, etc.

Now if I could just train my dog to find me wrapped presents on the sidewalk :cry:[/QUOTE]

It's been awhile, so I don't remember if you need to play X number of days or something to unlock it, but you can unload your dog in a dog hotel and it doesn't cost you anything.

bread's done
Back