Target and PS4's

terutt

CAGiversary!
So have a buddy who works at Target, and based upon what he has told me...YMMV

Target is going to have the PS4 on ad Sunday.

Most District Managers have informed their stores to NOT put out PS4's they get in this week on the shelf, to hold for Sunday (which is understandable).

Still, the stores have to receive them into inventory per policy, and so it shows on their inventory systems.  So another friend actually went into a store he knew had inventory, asked for a PS4 and after some initial pushback (countered by " but I see you have them in inventory, and I drove all the way down here relying on the accuracy of your site and systems which encouraged me to check stores for inventory to find what I was after") they relented and sold him one.

For example, checking stores around me, at least a couple are showing inventory, but there are none on the shelf physically at the moment.

http://checkinventory.net/index/target/14485673/77355/

Again, I am sure it is a function of who you talk to and how you talk to them (be nice), but could be an opportunity to shake one loose and not have to go stand in lines on Sunday.

I can confirm this is also being done at Walmart. I grabbed a PS4 there this week. Manager had 6 cases in back,  and told worker to only bring out one, and the rest were for the 15th.

Been calling a couple of nearby Targets every day for the past week asking if they've gotten any new PS4 shipments in yet. Been told no every time.

Looks like I'll be heading there this Sunday. God, if only these people just told me upfront "we're holding them for Sunday," I wouldn't have had to waste my time and minutes calling their stores numerous times. I seriously don't care if I can't get a PS4 immediately, but I just want to know a precise time and date when I CAN get one.

It's really annoying that retailers tell their employees to lie to customers asking about stock ...
Yeah if they were to do that, then only a few select people should know. At least that is what I would do if I was a person with some pull in Target corporate.

They do it so when they advertise it in their Sunday ad they will actually have it in stock.  If they sold it right away than people come in looking for them on Sunday but you sold them all when they arrived last Tuesday.  It is a dumb practice that retailers use and as a consumer it is annoying.

So have a buddy who works at Target, and based upon what he has told me...YMMV

Target is going to have the PS4 on ad Sunday.

Most District Managers have informed their stores to NOT put out PS4's they get in this week on the shelf, to hold for Sunday (which is understandable).

Still, the stores have to receive them into inventory per policy, and so it shows on their inventory systems. So another friend actually went into a store he knew had inventory, asked for a PS4 and after some initial pushback (countered by " but I see you have them in inventory, and I drove all the way down here relying on the accuracy of your site and systems which encouraged me to check stores for inventory to find what I was after") they relented and sold him one.

For example, checking stores around me, at least a couple are showing inventory, but there are none on the shelf physically at the moment.

http://checkinventory.net/index/target/14485673/77355/

Again, I am sure it is a function of who you talk to and how you talk to them (be nice), but could be an opportunity to shake one loose and not have to go stand in lines on Sunday.
Are there two different item numbers for the PS4 at Target?

On the website, the PS4 item number is 14996409, which shows up as out of stock in every store. But with the item number you gave us (14485673), I actually do see some stores nearby that have it in stock. What's with the discrepancy in item numbers?

Do the inventory check for target..they are everywhere..my friend lives in Chicago and he was able to just walk in the store and get one today they had a few in stock

I work at a Target and we are doing the same thing with both the PS4 and Xbox One. We've been getting a ton of Xbox Ones actually so we did put a few out and sold some of those. We didn't get as many PS4's and are saving all of them for Sunday. People call/ask every day about them and all I could say is to come early Sunday as we "should" have some.

Yeah I tell people we don't have them. I rather lie to a customer then get fired for not firing policy. Trust me I rather sell those things cause once they show up that we have some, I get 30+ calls a day. It gets annoying very quickly.

Yeah I tell people we don't have them. I rather lie to a customer then get fired for not following policy. Trust me I rather sell those things cause once they show up that we have some, I get 30+ calls a day. It gets annoying very quickly.

Yeah I tell people we don't have them. I rather lie to a customer then get fired for not following policy. Trust me I rather sell those things cause once they show up that we have some, I get 30+ calls a day. It gets annoying very quickly.
Ha, yeah I have gotten many calls about the PS4 every day I've worked since launch day. Expected, I guess, and stock has been low. We've gotten maybe 8 in since launch.

Yeah, what bothers me the most are the people who get there at 3 pm asking for a ps4 and then giving me attitude for not having any. It's 3 pm, those things sell out by 8:30am. Lol

See, this is what I don't get. Why not just tell me straight-away, "We can't sell them until Sunday?" Then I wouldn't have to waste my time calling your store every day to check. As much as you're annoyed answering phone calls (which is funny considering that's part of the job you're being paid to do), I get annoyed having to call all my local stores daily because I have no way of knowing whether something is in stock or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do y'all know if they are doing tickets early. I'm here at 730 and no one is here and also when I left my house the thing online said full stock now it says limited stock

As if no one is allowed to be annoyed by an aspect of their job just because the person is getting paid to do it.
What a stupid sentiment.

Got to my Target right before 8 and they only had 7 so I missed out.

I am so niave, I didn't there would be people in line when they were out of stock yesterday.

As if no one is allowed to be annoyed by an aspect of their job just because the person is getting paid to do it.
What a stupid sentiment.
I'm guessing you're also of the mindset that it's okay for someone working in customer support to be annoyed by the prospect of talking to people on the phone? The employees who are annoyed by having to "deal with people" or "answering common questions" are the same douchebags that we hear about in tech support horror stories on Consumerist.

Let's have some perspective. Especially in this economy, these people should be grateful to get paid for sitting on their butt and doing anything not involving actual strenuous labor (e.g., unclogging public toilets, or repairing rooftops).

showed up at my Target in Dover at 715 and was first in line. The store only had 3 and that person got there at like 740

I'm guessing you're also of the mindset that it's okay for someone working in customer support to be annoyed by the prospect of talking to people on the phone? The employees who are annoyed by having to "deal with people" or "answering common questions" are the same douchebags that we hear about in tech support horror stories on Consumerist.

Let's have some perspective. Especially in this economy, these people should be grateful to get paid for sitting on their butt and doing anything not involving actual strenuous labor (e.g., unclogging public toilets, or repairing rooftops).
You are a douche. Most of these employees make close to minimun wage, and in most cases are where they are because they don't have a choice. Of course you're probably one of those that feels entitled, and at the ready to say: 'go get a real job'. You are the customer we hate to serve!

If you like every aspect of your job, then great for you. Most people can find a few things that they don't like about their jobs.

You are a douche. Most of these employees make close to minimun wage, and in most cases are where they are because they don't have a choice. Of course you're probably one of those that feels entitled, and at the ready to say: 'go get a real job'. You are the customer we hate to serve!
I never said anything remotely close to "go find a real job." The point is, if you hate interacting with people, then you shouldn't have applied for a job that pays you to interact with people. What a strange notion that is, right?

The fact of the matter is, if you hate answering customer inquiries, then you probably suck royally at your sales desk job.

If you like every aspect of your job, then great for you. Most people can find a few things that they don't like about their jobs.
Never said one has to like every aspect of his job. However, if one hates the main aspect of his job, then there lies the problem.

Give the guy a break. I'm sure if you worked there you would get tired of someone calling about PS4 every ten minutes.
What they should do (and I think Best Buy used to) is have the first person they speak to tell the caller they are out.
Hi, you have reach Buttsville, Target we are currently out of stock of PS4s, how can I direct your call?

Give the guy a break. I'm sure if you worked there you would get tired of someone calling about PS4 every ten minutes.
What they should do (and I think Best Buy used to) is have the first person they speak to tell the caller they are out.
Hi, you have reach Buttsville, Target we are currently out of stock of PS4s, how can I direct your call?
I actually asked the guy at GameStop this when I was waiting in line and he was literally called once every 3 to 4 minutes asking about the PS4. He said they were told they couldn't answer the phone and add we are out of PS4's at the end of the thanks for calling spiel.

I can see getting annoyed with tons of calls, since it prevents you from doing the other parts of your job.

Thanks for the heads up OP. Managed to get there And snag one this morning. My location for 12 PS4 in and a shipment of XB1 as well.

I never said anything remotely close to "go find a real job." The point is, if you hate interacting with people, then you shouldn't have applied for a job that pays you to interact with people. What a strange notion that is, right?

The fact of the matter is, if you hate answering customer inquiries, then you probably suck royally at your sales desk job.

Never said one has to like every aspect of his job. However, if one hates the main aspect of his job, then there lies the problem.
How many minimum wage jobs can you get with no personal interaction? It's not like many 16+ year olds are going to be going "oh, I have to talk to people. -flips over the desk- fuck YOU AND THIS ESTABLISHMENT!", they're going to be people that accept the job. Who's to say that was even the job you applied for. You could have been a stock person who got promoted to customer service, someone pulled to cover shifts (my friend was hired to do stocking and within 2 weeks she was a cashier helping out in the morning instead of night) or better yet, simply hate those people who call.

The main aspect of their job is to deal with annoying holiday shoppers trying to find a crazy electronic item? Trust me, I read a lot of these topics and you see the same thing happen with people that ask the same question and no doubt, those calls get annoying. I imagine after 10 you know when there will be stock (or know that you won't know), know you're out of stock, know that no store in the local area has any of them, but the second you don't "pretend" to look into things, people call you out for being lazy. It's a lose lose and not something the average person is going to put all their heart into for minimum wage.

Well I do not know if anyone here is in the Atlanta area but I have a pre-order for one that is ready for P/U if anyone wants it. I got mine last week right after I put the pre-order down at TRU, picked it up from BB. Was holding for a friend in Columbus but he snagged his this morning so I have it on cragislist now but if I don't get rid of it I will just cancel the pre-order.

Was in my local Target looking for wave 3 skylanders and asked if they had any ps4's. They had 5. After I left they had 4. My will power is weak....

Freaking Target I went to only had 6 in stock (Sacramento SW).

I started panicking a little bit inside because there were 9 people in front of me. I stupidly sat in my car for a good 20 minutes before lining up because it was cold, and I didn't think lining up was necessary since there were only a few people there. Thankfully, some of them were together, and I was able to get the very last ticket handed out for a PS4.

Still, only 6 available units at a major retailer? That's just sad. A far cry from "healthy stocks of PS4." I'm guessing the lion share of PS4's got sent to Walmart and Best Buy.

First world problems all up in this thread.

On the topic of not saying "wait till sunday", considering how so entitled people are, it's easier for a store to follow policy and state that they are not in stock.  Reason being, people would bitch and moan and call corporate saying that the store had stock they wouldn't sell, and as a customer they have a right to items listed as in inventory.  I'm sure both the store and corporate do not want to have to wade through the annoying customers like this, and just say there are none in right now.  If you get your panties in a bunch that much over an item, maybe you should have pre ordered it.  The price you pay is having to hunt, calm down.

First world problems all up in this thread.

On the topic of not saying "wait till sunday", considering how so entitled people are, it's easier for a store to follow policy and state that they are not in stock. Reason being, people would bitch and moan and call corporate saying that the store had stock they wouldn't sell, and as a customer they have a right to items listed as in inventory. I'm sure both the store and corporate do not want to have to wade through the annoying customers like this, and just say there are none in right now. If you get your panties in a bunch that much over an item, maybe you should have pre ordered it. The price you pay is having to hunt, calm down.
I've said it all along, the Target employee earlier in this thread should have simply told all their customers "We won't have them available in stock until Sunday." That way, most people (including myself) would have very politely stopped calling his store and "annoying" him. :roll:

I'm very last type of person who wants to call stores asking the same question over and over ad nauseum--or deal with irritable customer support people, for that matter. This is why I would rather buy everything online if I had the choice--to avoid "annoying" workers who shouldn't be annoyed in the first place because of my asking an innocent question.

Speaking of first-world problems, I'm assuming that includes people complaining about being paid $10+ an hour to ring people up and answer phone calls. There are far, far, FAR worse jobs in America that they could apply to if they were so inclined.

I've said it all along, the Target employee earlier in this thread should have simply told all their customers "We won't have them available in stock until Sunday." That way, most people (including myself) would have very politely stopped calling his store and "annoying" him. :roll:

I'm very last type of person who wants to call stores asking the same question over and over ad nauseum--or deal with irritable customer support people, for that matter. This is why I would rather buy everything online if I had the choice--to avoid "annoying" workers who shouldn't be annoyed in the first place because of my asking an innocent question.

Speaking of first-world problems, I'm assuming that includes people complaining about being paid $10+ an hour to ring people up and answer phone calls. There are far, far, FAR worse jobs in America that they could apply to if they were so inclined.
1) If they said they had stock, people would ask for it. Also, lets be fair here, you're calling more so to see if they will sell it early and avoid the hassle of going there on Sunday and missing out.

2) Most people will continue to call other stores and try their luck. Saying they have stock, but won't sell it is just more drama.

3) Even if they did it your way, it will no doubt be similar, if not exactly the same as it is now.

4) Judging by your posts in this thread, I would say your second paragraph is complete and utter bullshit.

5) $10+ isn't minimum wage, $7.25 is. This is also before taxes, so they're probably getting sub 6 come the end of the day.

6) While there are worse jobs, they also offer more. You're comparing $7.25 with no security, minimal discount and no insurance to say a garbage person, who makes $12+, has a union and actual benefits.

1) If they said they had stock, people would ask for it. Also, lets be fair here, you're calling more so to see if they will sell it early and avoid the hassle of going there on Sunday and missing out.

2) Most people will continue to call other stores and try their luck. Saying they have stock, but won't sell it is just more drama.

3) Even if they did it your way, it will no doubt be similar, if not exactly the same as it is now.
You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I said the guy should say "We don't currently have them in stock, but are scheduled to have them Sunday." That way, people like myself will stop calling these stores (which is exactly what I did when I discovered this thread) and simply wait until Sunday to get one.

I never said he should tell the customer, "We have it stock, but can't sell it to you yet." That would be a stupid thing to say for the reasons you already enumerated.

4) Judging by your posts in this thread, I would say your second paragraph is complete and utter bullshit.
And judging by your one line, I would say that you are completely, utterly wrong. You don't f***ing know the first thing about me, buddy. You know what they say about assumptions.

5) $10+ isn't minimum wage, $7.25 is. This is also before taxes, so they're probably getting sub 6 come the end of the day.
Huh? Even if they really are getting paid minimum, they will barely get dinged by any appreciable degree by income taxes. If you're getting paid $10/hr or less, the income tax rate will be so miniscule, it won't even be worth mentioning. In fact, you might even get net benefits/refunds rather than taxes if you earn so little.

Have you even ever worked $8-10/hr jobs? Because I have.

I rarely agree with a majority of vic's posts, but he's right on this one.  Entitlement to get the product is what drives a lot of people on this site.  Go read the threads in the shopping discussion section and you get a ton of "I should have got _____ for this" type situations.  Just cause you say "oh I'm not trying to annoy" point is, either you or someone would cause issues either by calling the store, telling their friends, or complaining to corporate.  I'm sorry if your "reading comprehension" can't pick that up.   (Also, just saying that anyone that pulls the reading comprehension card usually means they are trolling pretty hard).

And judging by your one line, I would say that you are completely, utterly wrong. You don't f***ing know the first thing about me, buddy. You know what they say about assumptions.
BAhahahahaha, you get called out on your bullshit and suddenly everyone else is the one making assumptions while you can sit back and assume you know everything about the guy working at Target from his pay rate to workload?

Case in point about asshole employees who get annoyed about answering questions:

Again, this is why I buy almost everything online.

I rarely agree with a majority of vic's posts, but he's right on this one. Entitlement to get the product is what drives a lot of people on this site. Go read the threads in the shopping discussion section and you get a ton of "I should have got _____ for this" type situations. Just cause you say "oh I'm not trying to annoy" point is, either you or someone would cause issues either by calling the store, telling their friends, or complaining to corporate.
Well, I'm not one of the "entitled" people on this site. I'm probably the furthest thing from it. I rarely buy anything at retail, and order everything online, partly because I don't want to deal with potentially rude managers/employees. I almost never pricematch anything because it's probably going to be met with uncomfortable resistance, and I'd rather save myself the hassle. I don't exploit deals or loopholes. I don't hoard deals and flip games for profit, as I find such practice to be somewhat classless and exploitative. If an obvious pricing error occurs on a website and my order gets cancelled, I never complain a lick about the cancellation, because I fully realize it was a pricing error.

So, how exactly am I "entitled?" Don't know what else I could do or say that could convince you otherwise. Because I'm not that guy. But keep on making assumptions about some complete stranger on the internet.

I'm sorry if your "reading comprehension" can't pick that up. (Also, just saying that anyone that pulls the reading comprehension card usually means they are trolling pretty hard).
Trolling? All I meant by "reading comprehension" was that he clearly didn't read what I wrote closely enough. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reason I get annoyed by calls is cause some people just can't take "no we don't have them in stock" for an answer. They want explanations why we don't carry them. When do you receive them, what time should I call, can you hold me one etc. I'm not saying all customers are like this but a few are. Doesn't even include the ones that go to the store and get mad and give me attitude over not having them. Why get mad at a employee cause a store doesn't have what u want. If u wanted it so bad you should have preordered. I get annoyed cause this time of year not only do I get calls for ps4s and x1s but also toys.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I said the guy should say "We don't currently have them in stock, but are scheduled to have them Sunday." That way, people like myself will stop calling these stores (which is exactly what I did when I discovered this thread) and simply wait until Sunday to get one.
That's pretty much what I told any customers who asked. I told them that there is a strong possibility that we will have some on Sunday and to come early. That's also what the manager told me to tell customers. ironmenpb sounds like he got told different by his managers when he said 'store policy'. If the manager told him to tell customers they don't have any, then you can't blame him for doing exactly that.

Also, he simply said it 'gets annoying' taking in 30+ calls. He didn't say he is rude to the customer or takes it out on any of them. In fact, I highly doubt he does because Target takes that stuff very seriously. You automatically assume he's a douchebag and has terrible customer service. That is why everyone on this thread pretty much jumped on you. I know where you are coming from to a point, but somebody simply saying getting a bunch of calls about one item gets tedious after a while is no big deal.

I'm sure there are millions of employees out there that do have terrible customer service. I've dealt with them and I'm sure everyone in this thread has dealt with them. There are also douchebags all over the place. You could meet one walking into the post office. You could meet one at the gym. You just have to deal with it. You can't do everything in life online. Sometimes you have to learn how to deal with people and just brush the douchebags off.

On topic, my Target received 9 PS4's and about 20 Xbox Ones. The PS4's sold out in about 10 minutes. We didn't sell a single Xbox One, so if you're looking for one of those, Target is a pretty good place to check if my store's inventory is any indication!

Reason I get annoyed by calls is cause some people just can't take "no we don't have them in stock" for an answer. They want explanations why we don't carry them. When do you receive them, what time should I call, can you hold me one etc. I'm not saying all customers are like this but a few are. Doesn't even include the ones that go to the store and get mad and give me attitude over not having them. Why get mad at a employee cause a store doesn't have what u want. If u wanted it so bad you should have preordered. I get annoyed cause this time of year not only do I get calls for ps4s and x1s but also toys.
I don't even work in electronics, I actually unload the morning trucks. I stock the electronics though so I usually do help, take calls, help guests, ring them up, etc.

I had the craziest guest last week. She comes in at around noon asking for a PS4. Obviously, we don't have any. She immediately gives me an attitude and practically yells when we are going to get some in. I didn't know about today's stock at that time so I simply told her I don't know, but did tell her our truck schedule. She demanded that I call her when we get one in and hold it for her.... :roll:

Had no problem telling her that I can't do that and told her that it isn't fair to other customers. She yelled something at me and left.

Sometimes, a customer can be a royal douchebag as well, let's not forget that.

I don't even work in electronics, I actually unload the morning trucks. I stock the electronics though so I usually do help, take calls, help guests, ring them up, etc.

I had the craziest guest last week. She comes in at around noon asking for a PS4. Obviously, we don't have any. She immediately gives me an attitude and practically yells when we are going to get some in. I didn't know about today's stock at that time so I simply told her I don't know, but did tell her our truck schedule. She demanded that I call her when we get one in and hold it for her.... :roll:

Had no problem telling her that I can't do that and told her that it isn't fair to other customers. She yelled something at me and left.

Sometimes, a customer can be a royal douchebag as well, let's not forget that.
Oh, I absolutely 100% agree many (most) customers can be absolute entitled jerkbags. Not disputing that. I find most of these people annoying just reading about them, and I don't even work in retail. All I was saying before is that I took some issue with some employees apparently getting annoyed by people calling in asking an honest, quick question, taking "No" for an answer, and moving along without giving any attitude at all (this would be me).

Now, I don't want to drag this thread from the dead over and over, but that's my final thoughts on the subject.

bread's done
Back