Target Cartwheel Deals 12/24-12/30

Paulis30ish

Banned
So far, just the two continuing deals from last week. I imagine that we will get some new deals the day after Christmas. Here are the deals...

50% Off Skylanders Imaginators Sensei figures (Expires 12/26)

35% Off Logitech PC Gaming Accessories (Expires 12/30)

Wholesale is when you offer to buy a huge number of items for a greatly discounted price. Like, instead of buying one Xbox for $500. You offer to buy 1,000 of them for $5,000 making them $5, but selling them at your store for their original price to consumers.
You're a moron.

Edit: I read the rest of your posts here. You're a huge moron. I feel like that chris Farley gif was created just for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was an example. I have no information on how much Target specifically paid, but usually it's a few cents on the dollar at most for each item. Also, we have laws that keep companies from pricing things however they want. That is why the standard for games is $60. In other countries like Japan, where they don't have laws like that, they price their games however they want.
Look, I don’t want to totally poo poo you, because you’re right in that, with regards to most wholesale retailers don’t pay a lot per item.

Electronics and specifically things like Consoles, TVs and Computers, thise wholesale discounts don’t materialize int he way you think they do. That’s not to say they don’t get great terms from the mfgs, co-marketing, VOI/Consignment inventory etc. There are all kinds of ways they mitigate the total inventory costs in those products in order to stuff the channel.

However, even with all that said, you don’t know how much taget pays for each Xbox 1 sold. Maybe its $100, maybe its $180 or maybe its $10(hint its not). It is very possible Target would be okay with selling the system at $140, odds are they aren’t. Being that MS already put holiday deals in place to get the XBOX1s to $199 most everywhere, that probably put the wholesale/rebate/marketing deal somewhere in the $150-160 range. Again consoles just don’t have the margins to offer the wholesale deals like other retail products. I can say this as someone with years in Supply Chain, MFG and Inventory management.

Fortunately for MS the One doesn’t cost nearly as much as it did 5 years ago to make. So they probably offered several inventory rebate incentives or consignment style/vendor owned inventory type deals.

Consoles are still very much a razor & razor blade style market where they gladly take thin margins/loss to get the hardware in your hands to reap benefits on the software and services once you have it.

Again not disagreeing with your wholesaler history and talk, personally i thought most people knew this, but you are mistaken regarding consoles and a lot of expensive electronics where the margins don’t exist to give the deals you think. Would gladly discuss this more though as I love this side of things. Glad I got out of SC/MFG/INV too though.

Let me just start out by saying that I have been buying in retail consumer electronics for a couple of big electronics retailers for years (since 2004). 

I can tell you that Xbox profit per unit at MSRP is around $10-20 depending on the retailer and negotiated buying price based on buying power and volume.  Profit is even less on PS4 and Nintendo products.  When a console is on sale, the vendor (Microsoft or Sony) will give a Credit for each unit purchased.  If they give the retailer $70 per unit sold, your cost is adjusted to be profitable at the $199 price.  The retailer might make now $5.  They are banking on accessories being attached and games with the console sale.  Also why you get the "would like an extended warranty" question each time.  The profit is in the accessories and more profit to be made in 3rd Party Accessories.  At the $140 price with the cartwheel discount, that's a huge loss. They are not paying small bucks for these as stated.  Why do you think when a console launches, retailers try to sell them in Bundles to ensure they get some sort of profit margin out of them???

Getting returns on video games to a vendor, good try.  You'll see price drops/price protection before a return.

Apple is the worst.. on a $199 iPod back in the day, cost was $195.  How do you think apple has billions.  They don't pass on any margin to the retailer and pocket it themselves.  But that's another story for another day.  

Zantra,  you are 100% right in how things work in softlines, often clothes sewn together by a 12 year old making 2 bucks an hour in certain eastern countries(you know the ones I'm talking about). You are 100% wrong in thinking that is how buyers work in the video game industry. Margins are non existent. As others have stated here, all the profit comes from accessories related to those consoles as well as extended warranties, both of which are colossal. Lol at those scratch warranties for blu ray disks! Please don't "school" us anymore on the economics of retail in the video game sector.

Please do continue to post cartwheel deals, those are highly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry to change the topic back to Target/Redcard and Cartwheel, but am I understanding the new feature in the "wallet" portion of the app correctly. Add your redcard to the app and you use it to pay/use cartwheel all in one shot? If I'm understanding correctly that's pretty awesome and will totally help double dip on the price match + cartwheel discount. 

Plus I can stop carrying around one more card in my wallet... 

Sorry to change the topic back to Target/Redcard and Cartwheel, but am I understanding the new feature in the "wallet" portion of the app correctly. Add your redcard to the app and you use it to pay/use cartwheel all in one shot? If I'm understanding correctly that's pretty awesome and will totally help double dip on the price match + cartwheel discount.

This confused me. Do you have to use your REDcard if it's linked or is it just an option. I linked mine and then removed it because I wasn't sure. I felt like I would scan my cartwheel and it will automatically run my red card

That’s right, I did that last time I was in target and I gave me cartwheel and the red card discount at the same time. Pretty convenient.

A lot of garbage in this thread which kinda buried what someone said about the red card and cartwheel bar codes being merged...which actually seems rather important. If that's true (not sure), it really blurs the line about how the policy should be (and can be) enforced.
I can agree that this doesn't make enforcing it any easier. I've heard stories of a receipt being printed out but then the associate catching it and forcing a return. Policy is definitely still one or the other (officially)

This confused me. Do you have to use your REDcard if it's linked or is it just an option. I linked mine and then removed it because I wasn't sure. I felt like I would scan my cartwheel and it will automatically run my red card
Yeah it's super convenient. You can opt to use cash or another card, you just need to unlink it quick and can add your REDcard right back in again. Your REDcard information will stay saved in your wallet and you just need to select it again.

So yes, when linked it will automatically use REDcard, but unlinking (and subsequently relinking later) is simple. Also if you use a gift card that complicates things; you need to unlink your payment if you are using cartwheel and present the actual REDcard for payment. I think they are fixing that though.

I can agree that this doesn't make enforcing it any easier. I've heard stories of a receipt being printed out but then the associate catching it and forcing a return. Policy is definitely still one or the other (officially)

Yeah it's super convenient. You can opt to use cash or another card, you just need to unlink it quick and can add your REDcard right back in again. Your REDcard information will stay saved in your wallet and you just need to select it again.

So yes, when linked it will automatically use REDcard, but unlinking (and subsequently relinking later) is simple. Also if you use a gift card that complicates things; you need to unlink your payment if you are using cartwheel and present the actual REDcard for payment. I think they are fixing that though.
When I unlinked My Redcard it actually removed my red card from my target account completely and when I went to make a purchase online I had to type everything in again. Earlier this month when I updated my app it asked me to link the red card on my account to cartwheel I clicked yes, after thinking I wouldn't be able to use cartwheel for non red card transactions I decided to unlink it. I don't ever see myself linking my red card to cartwheel again.

When I unlinked My Redcard it actually removed my red card from my target account completely and when I went to make a purchase online I had to type everything in again. Earlier this month when I updated my app it asked me to link the red card on my account to cartwheel I clicked yes, after thinking I wouldn't be able to use cartwheel for non red card transactions I decided to unlink it. I don't ever see myself linking my red card to cartwheel again.
Maybe "unlink" isn't term I'm looking for. Change form of payment to cash/physical card, change back to REDcard afterwards.

Maybe "unlink" isn't term I'm looking for. Change form of payment to cash/physical card, change back to REDcard afterwards.
after looking around this morning I think that's what you mean. Just change your payment preference to cash/physical card before scanning. That said, I can't honestly think of any time I've used cartwheel and wasn't also using red card.

bread's done
Back