Target selling "repackaged" 360's...

VxExLxVxExT

CAGiversary!
when i was at Target (Westbury, NY) today, i noticed that they sell "repackaged" 360's, which are basically returned 360's in the original packaging..

the Arcade was priced at $140.01 and the 60gig Pro was priced at $175.01, so you basically save $60 on the Arcade and $75 on the Pro. they had 3 arcades and 1 pro. they didn't have any Elites, but all of the systems they had were pretty recent, i would say they were probably all Jaspers...

the same return policy that applies to new items also applies to them, so you have 90 days to try them out to make sure they're fine...

I would be cautious in buying a returned xbox due to the massive amount of gutswapped ones that are being returned.

Or worse, some scumbag who pirated and got banned would try the Wal-Mart swap method to replace his banned console with a new console and try to return it back a full refund

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Or worse, some scumbag who pirated and got banned would try the Wal-Mart swap method to replace his banned console with a new console and try to return it back a full refund[/QUOTE]

ding ding ding

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Or worse, some scumbag who pirated and got banned would try the Wal-Mart swap method to replace his banned console with a new console and try to return it back a full refund[/QUOTE]

I doubt this is an issue anymore, most computer systems prompt to manually enter the serial number and it has to match.

[quote name='Scorch']I doubt this is an issue anymore, most computer systems prompt to manually enter the serial number and it has to match.[/QUOTE]

they swap the insides so the serials match. it is a huge problem.

[quote name='Scorch']I doubt this is an issue anymore, most computer systems prompt to manually enter the serial number and it has to match.[/QUOTE]

Unless they gutswap which would still have the proper serial on the outer case. =/

I was at walmart the other day and the employees in electronics were complaining about how they have to go check returned 360s that are all obvious swaps and denying the returns all day. Its definitely happening.

well, while that may be true, like i said they do offer the standard 90 day return policy for these so you do have ample time to try it out and be sure it hasn't been opened and/or banned...

and on a side note, not everyone is a 360 scam artist, so if you do get a legit one you're saving at least $60...

I think it is VERY possible you could get a banned or soon to be banned Xbox. But I also think that Target would accept it back. If people do get banned 360s, it's not just going to be one or two people but a lot, and that means Target would deal with it like you'd expect them to.
I don't think you are risking any money buy going for the deal, just a possible inconvience.

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']well, while that may be true, like i said they do offer the standard 90 day return policy for these so you do have ample time to try it out and be sure it hasn't been opened and/or banned...[/QUOTE]

Walmart's return policy on 360s is 15 days, not 90 like their TVs.

[quote name='2&2']At this point, I think buying a used 360 is crazy.[/QUOTE]

agreed. type in "360 gutswap" into google and look at all of the sites filled with people swapping consoles.

Where at the Westbury Target did you see them? I was there last week and only saw MW2 units, and the newer Elite Lego/Pure bundles.

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']well, while that may be true, like i said they do offer the standard 90 day return policy for these so you do have ample time to try it out and be sure it hasn't been opened and/or banned...

and on a side note, not everyone is a 360 scam artist, so if you do get a legit one you're saving at least $60...[/QUOTE]Yeah, just explain when you return it that it must have been the guy who bought it before you that gut swapped it. Definitely wasn't you. I'm sure they'll believe you 100% and do the return without any hassles. :wall:

[quote name='CaptDS9E']Where at the Westbury Target did you see them? I was there last week and only saw MW2 units, and the newer Elite Lego/Pure bundles.[/QUOTE]
there was one Arcade in the regular 360 case, but it a "repackaged" one and not a new one. the other 2 and the 60gig Pro were in the aisle next to it, where they sell ipods and headphones, in the case on the right side at the front of the aisle...

[quote name='tex1ntux']Yeah, just explain when you return it that it must have been the guy who bought it before you that gut swapped it. Definitely wasn't you. I'm sure they'll believe you 100% and do the return without any hassles. :wall:[/QUOTE]
they ARE open box units, so make sure the serial numbers match before you pay for it, and since they're open box units i'm sure they're going to be MUCH more forgiving with returns than someplace like Walmart. I remember returning a RB1 drumset at Walmart about a year and half ago that was NEVER opened, WITH the receipt, and the woman at the desk refused to do the return because she said it was their policy NOT to return RB accessories. there was no sign up that said anything like that, and i remember having to speak to a manager, just to get the refund.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']I have all of the current gen consoles except for the 360 because I don't trust anything with a 70% breakdown rate.[/QUOTE]

In Microsoft's defense, it's really like ~35% >___>;; lol

[quote name='tombo85']I would be cautious in buying a returned xbox due to the massive amount of gutswapped ones that are being returned.[/QUOTE]

I came into this thread thinking this. I've read a lot about swapping serials etc..due to the bans. careful. actually don't even bother.

Seriously, dont buy a used 360 >_>, just buy a new one. Barely 50 bucks more for an Arcade, and HardDrives are pretty cheap now. If anything, wait until around Christmas when they start making those "Buy an Arcade, get 2 decent games free". My friend brought a used one from Gamestop once, the thing RROD'd less than a month later, he returned it for another one, and that one RROD'd in less than a week. People tend to return/trade them in when they think they are about to RROD, screwing over others.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']In Microsoft's defense, it's really like ~35% >___>;; lol[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the RROD on the Japser Units is less than 1%, so enjoy your 10% fail rate on the PS3's

By that rationale, King, what is to say the slim doesn't have a better rate of success than the Jasper units?

I bought a used 360 with eleven games for $150. It sounded extremely risky, and I only went for it because those games (I kept a couple) went for over $100. Haven't played it much, but it's working okay for me. I wouldn't suggest buying used for $150 with no games, though.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']In Microsoft's defense, it's really like ~35% >___>;; lol[/QUOTE]

Not so sure about that. I would be surprised if the failure rate wasn't higher. The system is awesome. But lets face it, the system, before the jasper release, is unreliable. Thank god the new MW2 bundles have the new chip.

Piling on:

Also, the three year warranty is non-transferable. If the person registered the console and then returned it you are boned if it RRoDs, E-74, etc..

A banned console is worse than just not being able to play online now. It also "corrupts" your gamer profile and saves (that were used on the banned system) on legit systems. You can continue using that copy of the profile on the banned system. So if you get an achievement on a banned console, you'll never be able to export it.

All of my systems are legit and I own 200 real 360 disc games, but if you go over to a buddy's house, you don't know what they are playing with.

[quote name='MrKing']Sorry to burst your bubble, but the RROD on the Japser Units is less than 1%, so enjoy your 10% fail rate on the PS3's[/QUOTE]

But the overall rate is give or take 35 percent, don't try and justify your point by showing a significantly lower PS3 failure rate. It's laughable. I own both systems, and have been through 5 yes 5 360s and 1 PS3, and I know many people with similar situations. I wish the 360 was a more reliable system, its my system of choice, but when it comes to multiplatform games I stick to PS3 simply because I know its not gonna crap out on me.

Be cautious when you buy any used system, especially the 360.

[quote name='MrKing']Sorry to burst your bubble, but the RROD on the Japser Units is less than 1%, so enjoy your 10% fail rate on the PS3's[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever read. I'm on my launch 60gig PS3, and I'm on my 6th xbox. Please pull your head out of your ass.

[quote name='redshadow']Yeah, this is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever read. I'm on my launch 60gig PS3, and I'm on my 6th xbox. Please pull your head out of your ass.[/QUOTE]

You cannot put a real percentage on the failure rate of the 360, Its so ridiculously high that basically, its like have a 93-95 mazda rx7 as a gaming console. Its not IF the engine is going to blow, its WHEN. Im on 360 #5 or 6. I lost count. I havent even turned on my 360 since i got SF4 on PS3 either.

[quote name='blitz6speed']You cannot put a real percentage on the failure rate of the 360, Its so ridiculously high that basically, its like have a 93-95 mazda rx7 as a gaming console. Its not IF the engine is going to blow, its WHEN. Im on 360 #5 or 6. I lost count. I havent even turned on my 360 since i got SF4 on PS3 either.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha I have to chime in here because someone mentioned the US FD. Unfortunately we got boned in the US for third gen RX-7's. They had a 10 year run in Japan and models 96+ were far more reliable than the first several years. Not to mention you can get like a 2001 FD in Japan for like 5 grand :( Fack the US car market.

Anyways, I bought m 360 used from GameStop about a year ago. It was an elite model that still had the retail stickies on it. I assume it was stolen and then just traded in and the employee agreed with me, lol. He said it was probably the best one to get though since it had more than likely never been used. So far I've never had a problem with it *crosses fingers* Just be very careful when buying a used 360.

I laughed out loud while at work and my co-worker got really surprised at the outbreak.

I'm going to refrain from commenting anything further. Well said. :applause:

Why didn't Microsoft embrace HD-DVD for game format, now that the format is dead and not alot of burners and burner media available and considering possible ISO file size, then a firmware hacked drive on the 360 would be mute. I think file size alone on PS3 has helped keep from widespread pirating at this point low along with less stable mod-chips...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but whoever you get your statistics from is full of shit. Double-check your sources.

Also, I agree with you OP, this is a deal. If nobody wants to buy one because they're paranoid, that's their loss. If worse comes to worst, you just take it back to Target and get another one. And, since the RROD warranty on 360's is now 3 years, you have AT LEAST 2 years and 9 months of warranty left on the console. Seems like a good deal to me.

EDIT: Also, mercilessming, that is exactly why the 360 was hacked. The hacking scene knows some much about DVDs, DVD drives and DVD firmware, that it was a no-brainer to hack it. The PS3 on the other hand, used Blu-ray, which hasn't been hacked because not that much is known about Blu-Ray yet. They should have gone with HD-DVD. It would have stopped piracy and boosted sales.

I'd imagine buying any arcade model at a retail store, open-packaging or not, is a terribad endeavor. Gutswappers overwhelmingly swapped for arcade units. Pros and elites, on the other hand, should be pretty safe.

bread's done
Back