Target takes off 38% for electronic returns w/o receipt?

Skyfall_007

CAGiversary!
yea I returned a game which is 39.99 today but only got 24.88 for it w/o receipt just head ups for anyone who doesn't know.

that's a load of crap, they should at least give you the value in store credit.

But of course will all the rain checks they gave out and deals at other stores I can see why they do this, but still I think it reeks.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Which game did you return? Was it on sale this week?[/quote]

It was GTA DP for XBox, the person working said there said with a receipt its 39.99 without I would only get 24.88. Yea this is my other CAG user name btw.

[quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='mtxbass1']Which game did you return? Was it on sale this week?[/quote]

It was GTA DP for XBox, the person working said there said with a receipt its 39.99 without I would only get 24.88. Yea this is my other CAG user name btw.[/quote]

It makes sense then, since it was on sale.

Reality's Fringe said:
Unless it was a temp price drop at the time you returned it. Without a receipt you only get credit for the amount it is currently selling for.

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that without receipt, they give the lowest price it was sold at within the past however many days (30?). Otherwise, people would buy it on sale, "lose" the receipt, and return for a profit.

Reality's Fringe is correct. Any return made at Target without a reciept will net you the lowest sale price from the last 2 weeks, if they allw it at all. Target is really trying to cut down on the number of returns without reciepts.

Edit: You know what? Don't quote me on the two weeks. And while you may be pissed about it, hold onto your reciepts and/or stop trying to scam stores. Were you offered a reciept lookup?

[quote name='AtlusParker'] Target is really trying to cut down on the number of returns without reciepts.
[/quote]

Didn't they already try to stop it all together by changing their official policy to requiring a receipt for all returns? I guess some stores are more strict than others. I returned something with a receipt a few weeks ago but the person in front of me in line was returning some clothes (still had the tags on them) and Target refused to take it back without the receipt. The customer was getting very angry threatening to never shop at Target again.

[quote name='YoshiFan1'][quote name='AtlusParker'] Target is really trying to cut down on the number of returns without reciepts.
[/quote]

Didn't they already try to stop it all together by changing their official policy to requiring a receipt for all returns? I guess some stores are more strict than others. I returned something with a receipt a few weeks ago but the person in front of me in line was returning some clothes (still had the tags on them) and Target refused to take it back without the receipt. The customer was getting very angry threatening to never shop at Target again.[/quote]

Officially, no Target has a no reciept no return UNLESS it's an exchange for something from the same department. The proper Target terminology for a no reciept return is a Gift Exchange. When it comes to clothes, after a while you WILL need the reciept. Clothes come and go so quickly through Target that you could buy something and it could be on clearance the next month or even clearanced out the system altogether. Without a reciept you will get the clearance price or $0.00 if it's out of the system. Which is why you should shop using a credit or debit card or with checks if you're prone to losing Target receipts. The reciept lookup system is accurate 99% of the time. The only problem with it is if you have pruchased two similiar items, it will find the reciept with the lowest price.

[quote name='Mishimaryu']So they give the lowest sale price within the last 2 weeks, or 30 days?[/quote]

30 days. I retracted my 2 week statement.

Edit: I should also clarify that when I say "lowest sale price", I more accurately mean "lowest selling price" because price cuts and clearance prices are also considered when determining how much an item can be returned for.

So if people buy the game on sale at 24.99 and return it a month later with the game being at 49.99, they'll get 49.99 returning without receipt? Seriously, I hope all store would not accept return without a receipt. I mean they do give out gift receipt when you buy stuffs and if the customer lost it, it is their fault.

No, they'd get 24.99, whatever the lowest price was in the last 30 days.
If they returned it at 31 days [or whatever the time limit is], Target wouldn't accept it [and might not accept it anyway].
I'm glad some stores take returns without a receipt, but i can see the potential for abuse. And I understand the policies about lowest selling price and max per year whatever. Last weekend we returned a scrapbook to WalMart that we recieved as a gift a year and a half ago. They actually gave back cash in hand as well, I was expecting a gift card [we turned around and dropped 100+ bucks there anyway]. The scrapbook had gotten packed in a box when we moved and only recently unpacked.

[quote name='dtcarson']No, they'd get 24.99, whatever the lowest price was in the last 30 days.
If they returned it at 31 days [or whatever the time limit is], Target wouldn't accept it ...[/quote]

Without a receipt, how would they know it was over the time limit?

Note: I do not condone trying to return items for more than one paid, and my question should not be taken as endorsement of such activities.

target doesn't. are you guys sure about the 30 days thing? i thought the previous sale price stays in the system forever. i might be wrong... i don't work at guest service.

here's an interesting but sort of unrelated fact... if your target hasn't previously sold ANY quantities of an item, your system will list the item's previous sale price at 0.00. one time, a few overnight workers stole a few new games, and they tried to return without receipt at guest service. previous sale price came up 0.00. they called security, and bye bye overnight workers.

I'm surprised they didn't explain to you that you were getting less than the current selling price because it had been on sale for less in the past X days. Pretty poor of whoever helped you out. But I think that's fairly standard across most retailers. (I know Best Buy does this.)

bread's done
Back