Target will have the Wii on Jan 21..

I wonder if we can assume that this shipment begins the "real test" for Nintendo and how hot the Wii is. If it sells out in less than a day, or if there are people lining up for it, I think we can truly call this a runaway success and maybe dismiss some fears that the initial devouring of Wii shipments could be chalked up to rabid Nintendo fanboys.

Good. So can the 400 people that post the same damn thread 'anyone find any Wii's' wait outside and buy one? No excused this time. You have now had tons of available chances to buy this.

[quote name='Scobie']I wonder if we can assume that this shipment begins the "real test" for Nintendo and how hot the Wii is. If it sells out in less than a day, or if there are people lining up for it, I think we can truly call this a runaway success and maybe dismiss some fears that the initial devouring of Wii shipments could be chalked up to rabid Nintendo fanboys.[/quote]Went do dinner with a friend today who owns no consoles whatsoever (well, we both picked up our N64s during EB's "Buy 3 games, get an N64 free" deal), he's waiting for them to be available, though I advised him to think about waiting for a price drop.

[quote name='gizmogc']Good. So can the 400 people that post the same damn thread 'anyone find any Wii's' wait outside and buy one? No excused this time. You have now had tons of available chances to buy this.[/quote]

Man, ease up on the poor Wii seekers that haven't had any luck nabbing one yet. I wish them all luck but I don't think there's a need to slam them for creating threads to share information to track down this rare commodity.

Good luck to all and I hope you have good weather for your wait next Sunday... unless you're a hoarder then I hope you get frostbite for your greediness. Or I hope the Wii market on ebay crashes like the PS3 did. :)

Also if I'm not mistaken Best Buy will have Wii's available on 1/21 as well so there will be two stores to take a shot at scoring one.

I can somewhat confirm this, as Wii consoles are definitely being held for Sunday (a reliable source working in the backroom told me there are plenty being stored, and hopefully plenty more coming in). One of my supervisors said that they will be sold this Sunday, while another one told me they're for the 21st, but it's most likely for the 21st, which is the same thing reported everywhere. In the back of my mind I feel like I still won't get one, I can imagine a hundred or so people still lining up for a console. Hopefully I'm wrong and I get one.

[quote name='Chitown021']Man, ease up on the poor Wii seekers that haven't had any luck nabbing one yet. I wish them all luck but I don't think there's a need to slam them for creating threads to share information to track down this rare commodity.

Good luck to all and I hope you have good weather for your wait next Sunday... unless you're a hoarder then I hope you get frostbite for your greediness. Or I hope the Wii market on ebay crashes like the PS3 did. :)[/QUOTE]

I already have a Wii and have no intentions of waiting in line and spending time just to make $60-$100.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']I can somewhat confirm this, as Wii consoles are definitely being held for Sunday (a reliable source working in the backroom told me there are plenty being stored, and hopefully plenty more coming in). One of my supervisors said that they will be sold this Sunday, while another one told me they're for the 21st, but it's most likely for the 21st, which is the same thing reported everywhere. In the back of my mind I feel like I still won't get one, I can imagine a hundred or so people still lining up for a console. Hopefully I'm wrong and I get one.[/quote]

Is Itrackr showing the systems in stock at that store? Just curious because I would assume all of the stores will be ramping up for the 21st and so far the stores in my area aren't showing anything.

I can only get one at Best Buy because that's the only credit card I currently have funds on. So if it's true that BB will release a bunch on that date also, I will be there.

[quote name='gizmogc']I already have a Wii and have no intentions of waiting in line and spending time just to make $60-$100.[/quote]

Are you a hoarder? I don't recall asking you personally if you were going to wait in line for one. We've butted heads on this topic before in another thread. I know you've had yours since launch and you think every other CAGer that didn't get one at that time is just lazy. You also feel they should've just given in and paid $100 over retail to get one off of ebay.

Does that about cover it?

[quote name='Chitown021']Are you a hoarder? I don't recall asking you personally if you were going to wait in line for one. We've butted heads on this topic before in another thread. I know you've had yours since launch and you think every other CAGer that didn't get one at that time is just lazy. You also feel they should've just given in and paid $100 over retail to get one off of ebay.

Does that about cover it?[/QUOTE]

Yep. You nailed it.

Just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight Gizmogc. Nothing personally against you but we just have very different views when it comes to this but I guess that's what makes this country great. We're allowed to have our own opinions and I will leave it at that.

[quote name='Chitown021']Just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight Gizmogc. Nothing personally against you but we just have very different views when it comes to this but I guess that's what makes this country great. We're allowed to have our own opinions and I will leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

some cags think this place is a totalitarian dictatorship in which they are the dictator and everyone else is completely below them. It's good to ignore, bait, and openly make fun of these types.

ANYWAY, rampant curiosity makes me want to get up early and see if there are lines outside my local Target next Sunday. It is really too bad this was not happening today (ie, this Sunday) as I am staying up to take my mom to the airport at 4am and could very easily pass by the Best Buy and a couple Targets on the way home just to size up any lines.

I'm guessing there will be lines next Sunday, and Nintendo will ace Scobie's "test". Even if they aren't sold out several hours before opening as all the other semi-announced store sales were, I bet they sell out before closing. Now, it appears my area is always short-shipped these types of things, but I bet even in the luckier areas they don't last till the next day, in any case. We'll see - it is, as Scobie says, a good test for the "legs" of the Wii. I guess I'll stroll in there around noon and get the scoop from my local Target (ie, how quickly the sold out, assuming they did by that time). This would be the same Target that had 6 60GB PS3's sitting in the case Friday at closing.

[quote name='io']ANYWAY, rampant curiosity makes me want to get up early and see if there are lines outside my local Target next Sunday. It is really too bad this was not happening today (ie, this Sunday) as I am staying up to take my mom to the airport at 4am and could very easily pass by the Best Buy and a couple Targets on the way home just to size up any lines.

I'm guessing there will be lines next Sunday, and Nintendo will ace Scobie's "test". Even if they aren't sold out several hours before opening as all the other semi-announced store sales were, I bet they sell out before closing. Now, it appears my area is always short-shipped these types of things, but I bet even in the luckier areas they don't last till the next day, in any case. We'll see - it is, as Scobie says, a good test for the "legs" of the Wii. I guess I'll stroll in there around noon and get the scoop from my local Target (ie, how quickly the sold out, assuming they did by that time). This would be the same Target that had 6 60GB PS3's sitting in the case Friday at closing.[/quote]

I'm curious as well to see how many people line up for store openings and what the minimum number will be per store (if a quantity is set at all). My guess is Target will say "limited quantities one per person" and Best Buy will say "minimum 20 per store". My area tends to get short shipped as well but that's because it Kansas City. Hell my cousin has been looking for one so I might get out there an hour or two early to hook him up and to satisfy my curiosity.

In my area I would imagine all of the units will sell out before opening if they do the ticket handout deal. I'll be watching ebay as well next week to see how many of them get thrown up for sale and how quickly the average selling price drops. It seems like everytime there is a reported release the number of listings on ebay doubles and the price tumbles.

There really has been multiple chances to get a Wii. Some people complain bout not having a Wii, and yet when a store like Target says they will have the system on a certain date, the SMART people are there when the store closes the night BEFORE, and the people who complain about not having the Wii show up at Target at 6:45am the next day and claim they got there early.

Though, this doesn't count for all cases of course.

[quote name='lilboo']There really has been multiple chances to get a Wii. Some people complain bout not having a Wii, and yet when a store like Target says they will have the system on a certain date, the SMART people are there when the store closes the night BEFORE, and the people who complain about not having the Wii show up at Target at 6:45am the next day and claim they got there early.
[/QUOTE]

Meh, I've had my Wii since launch day, but I feel for those that haven't been able to get them yet.

One shouldn't have to wait overnight to shell out their hard earned money for any product.

But with gaming mainstream now its likely launches will always bee like this. I only had to wait 2 hours to get my Wii preorder in, but even that was pushing it as my time is pretty valuable to me and the system has gathered dust since I finished Zelda. I'd be pretty pissed if I'd had to wait overnight for one just to play Zelda and watch it gather dust until Mario or Metroid comes out.

No excuses this time, right guys? This is now ATLEAST the 5th time a specific date and place has been posted. If you can't get one now, you should never be able to post a 'where are the wii' threads again. You have 1 week notice. If you want one THAT bad, start waiting 5-8 hours before they open.

7 Days. 7 Days.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Meh, I've had my Wii since launch day, but I feel for those that haven't been able to get them yet.

One shouldn't have to wait overnight to shell out their hard earned money for any product.

But with gaming mainstream now its likely launches will always bee like this. I only had to wait 2 hours to get my Wii preorder in, but even that was pushing it as my time is pretty valuable to me and the system has gathered dust since I finished Zelda. I'd be pretty pissed if I'd had to wait overnight for one just to play Zelda and watch it gather dust until Mario or Metroid comes out.[/QUOTE]

Why shouldn't we have to? I don't like waiting many hours just to spend money either, but since I really wanted a Wii I waited my 12 hours outside Toys R Us on launch. The result? I got one.

Sadly, I haven't done much on it latley. I have a feeling this is going to be like the DS where it's really BLAH for the first year then all of a sudden it's beyond amazing. Had I known this, I would of waited. However, who knows how long it will be until it's easy to get a Wii. So in the long run I am happy that I got my Wii now. Thank you Xbox360 for being awesome :D

[quote name='lilboo']Why shouldn't we have to? I don't like waiting many hours just to spend money either, but since I really wanted a Wii I waited my 12 hours outside Toys R Us on launch. The result? I got one. [/QUOTE]Because only homeless people sleep on the street. Us adults appreciate sleeping indoors in a warm bed more than some video game system.

[quote name='Ben']Because only homeless people sleep on the street. Us adults appreciate sleeping indoors in a warm bed more than some video game system.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, there are many adults who are classified as 'homeless'. Too bad Soylent Green wasn't real, sigh.

[quote name='Ben']Because only homeless people sleep on the street. Us adults appreciate sleeping indoors in a warm bed more than some video game system.[/QUOTE]

And yet, they'll be the first ones to bitch that they can't find a Wii and how ridiculous it is. I don't think people stayed outside THAT long for the Wii that they slept...I got to my TRU at 1pm and stayed till Midnite. We, along with 200 OTHER people waited all day. No one slept on the street. In fact, we played DS..ate lots of food ^_^ and complained about waiting. It was a pretty good time if you ask me. Oh also, I actually GOT my system that night, one day 1. So yeah.

I was about to comment and go on about how some people have lives and could not spend an entire night camping at launch but I went through this before with Gizmogc and I don't want to start again...

[quote name='Chitown021']I was about to comment and go on about how some people have lives and could not spend an entire night camping at launch but I went through this before with Gizmogc and I don't want to start again...[/QUOTE]

For one night?
I guess it's different for everyone. See I went with a friend. I saw people I knew there. So for me, it was a little hang out.. just that it was lame because it's outside of TRU.

To each their own as always, but the same person can NOT say "This sucks, I want a Wii but I can't find any!!" AND say "LOL I'm not staying out all night, or going a few hours before the store opens, I HAVE a life!". If you want something, then you do it. It's really simple.

I wonder if we can assume that this shipment begins the "real test" for Nintendo and how hot the Wii is. If it sells out in less than a day, or if there are people lining up for it, I think we can truly call this a runaway success and maybe dismiss some fears that the initial devouring of Wii shipments could be chalked up to rabid Nintendo fanboys.

It will sell out within a couple hours, if not effectively before the stores even open (areas with severe weather excluded). Please remember, the last two highly-desired consoles at launch, i.e. the 360 and the PS2, were not easily available until at least mid-March. This isn't even one month removed from Christmas. I have no doubts that there will be significant linesitting going on, and that with Smooth Moves now in the fold, the demand will be sustained.

I'm not saying the 'frontrunner'-based, pop culture white hot buzz will never dissipate, I'm just saying that it's going to take a few more months, i.e. the time when people around the country can actually start swinging tennis rackets and golf clubs outside again.

So I think the Wii is still going to be a tough ticket, but I think a lot of the hysteria is not built to last. Am I a "fanboy" or a "hater"? Hunh, Nintendonut offended simpletons? What's it gonna be?

("no, your just a jackass"--preemptive cut-n-paste of anticipated response, complete w/grammatical errors)

okay wat if (surely it'll happen), 60 Wii consoles are instock and 200 people want it?
Do you even know about supply and demand? The demand is so great that the supply can't meet them. Waiting for 12hrs only to find out that ur #61

So how many people will be camping out? I should know when to start camping out, I might camp with some of my friends.

Should it be at like 3AM or maybe at 9PM the night before?

I'd like to think that given the time of year and that parents won't be in rabid 'zero hour' desperation for Christmas 'miracles', five or six hours should be sufficient for most of the country. Which means set aside eight. Anything above and beyond that is probably superfluous, but if a couple extra hours makes you feel better (bring that St. Bernard with the barrel flask!), by all means, go for it.

EDIT: I'm sure we'll hear many anecdotes about people waiting an hour and scoring one, as well as people arriving at Midnight and being S.O.L. I'm just going with what I believe will be the median required wait time.

Hmm, well my Target opens at 8AM (Evanston) and I doubt my parents or any of my friends' parents would drive us there and leave us for a long period of time. I guess I'll just go at 5AM.

I'm really very concerned about the general acceptance of "having" to camp out that I'm seeing in this thread (and from others before it, of course).

Sure, the companies love the publicity, but what kind of serious mainstream publicity are they gonna get out of people waiting in line a couple months after the initial launch? The media buzz on this stuff appears to have cooled after the first week or so.

I don't need to get up earlier and stand in the cold longer -- manufacturers need to get their shit together and get an adequate supply of consoles out to store to meet the initial surge of demand. It's not like they don't know it's gonna happen, and it's not like they won't eventually sell them anyway.

The media "buzz" is no longer a factor here. This isn't about Nintendo's manipulation and/or feeding off of linesitter stories on the 'infotainment' local 'news' or in the local 'fishwrap'. At this point and beyond, this is purely about the demand still outweighing the supply. It's just going to take a few more shipments to have the latter catch up with the former.

Thanks to threads like this, people will know well in advance, the word will spread virally, and many will try, in terms of time waited, to 'outbid & outlast' others to secure their Wii. Nintendo clearly won the Holiday '06 Hype War. No NPD numbers can neutralize that. This is all about the fans and the families.

[quote name='lilboo']
To each their own as always, but the same person can NOT say "This sucks, I want a Wii but I can't find any!!" AND say "LOL I'm not staying out all night, or going a few hours before the store opens, I HAVE a life!". If you want something, then you do it. It's really simple.[/QUOTE]

True. They should just say "It sucks that Nintendo can't make enough Wiis that I can find one without waiting in line for hours."

It is Nintendo's fault, but people that don't want to wait should just forget about it for now. There's really no killer must play games outside of Zelda anyway, so they might as well just pick that up for the GC if they have one and just wait another month or two when they are more readily available instead of bitching about it repeatedly on the internet about it.

As for your earlier question about why people shouldn't have to wait, people already worked hard for their money, and they shouldn't have to waste more of our time to hand it over to a store for a stupid game console.

It is just the nature of gaming launches now, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. And again I'm probably done with launches from here out as having the Wii the past couple of months really wasn't worth even the 2 hours or so I waited for my preorder since I could have just played Zelda on the GC since none of the other games have drawn any interest from me and their are none with firm release dates that are anywhere near must buys at the full $50.

That's not really a fault of Nintendo, console game libraries usually just suck for the first 6-12 months which really makes the waiting to get one early seem kind of stupid in retrospect.

[quote name='Scobie']I don't need to get up earlier and stand in the cold longer -- manufacturers need to get their shit together and get an adequate supply of consoles out to store to meet the initial surge of demand. It's not like they don't know it's gonna happen, and it's not like they won't eventually sell them anyway.[/QUOTE]

You don't think Nintendo would love to sell an extra 1 Million units? Of course they would. Every Wii they ship out SELLS. Every DS they ship out SELLS. This is not a PS3 or 360. This is a Wii! To bad they can only produce a certain amount in a certain amount of time. Unless Santa plans to help them out this is how it is. You as a consumer has choice. Either wait till its readily available, or shut the hell up. How many Wii's has Nintendo sold now, 4 MILLION? In less then two months.

[quote name='dmaul1114']As for your earlier question about why people shouldn't have to wait, people already worked hard for their money, and they shouldn't have to [/QUOTE]

Then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you, as a consumer, to wait in line hours to get it. Be patient. If you really want one, pay $70 more and buy it from someone on Craigslist or ebay. If you don't want to do this, to bad. I didn't know if you had a job it entitles you to get something. I'm gonna goto the Apple store and demand an iPhone because I have a job and therefore should have one on Verizons network. I have a job, I am entitled to everything!

Smart business sense is to have product available for everyone who wants it. It's not entitlement, it's good business practice.

The Wii is a Gamecube with waggle and has very simple parts, they should be able to produce them at a higher rate, and should have had more at launch given how early the started making them.

I'm glad to see it doing so well, it's amazing it's selling so well with only one great game and a handful of decent party games. But I feel for those that really want one and have to jump through so many hoops to get it. Especially people that live in cold regions that really making waiting/camping a chore.

It was bad enough to wait 2 hours in doors for a preorder, so I really sympathize with those waiting much longer.

And as I said earlier, in the future I will just wait until first price drops on future consoles as in hindsite it just isn't worth waiting in line and paying a premium to early adopt a machine that is going to gather a lot of dust the first year anyway until good games start coming out at a decent clip.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Smart business sense is to have product available for everyone who wants it. It's not entitlement, it's good business practice.

The Wii is a Gamecube with waggle and has very simple parts, they should be able to produce them at a higher rate, and should have had more at launch given how early the started making them.

I'm glad to see it doing so well, it's amazing it's selling so well with only one great game and a handful of decent party games. But I feel for those that really want one and have to jump through so many hoops to get it. Especially people that live in cold regions that really making waiting/camping a chore.

It was bad enough to wait 2 hours in doors for a preorder, so I really sympathize with those waiting much longer.

And as I said earlier, in the future I will just wait until first price drops on future consoles as in hindsite it just isn't worth waiting in line and paying a premium to early adopt a machine that is going to gather a lot of dust the first year anyway until good games start coming out at a decent clip.[/QUOTE]

I would say 4 Million+ units in less then 2 months is pretty damn good. Microsoft and Sony COMBINED couldn't get this much out in 2 months after launch. I'd be safe to even say Nintendo got twice as much out as MS/Sony combined.

[quote name='gizmogc']I would say 4 Million+ units in less then 2 months is pretty damn good. Microsoft and Sony COMBINED couldn't get this much out in 2 months after launch. I'd be safe to even say Nintendo got twice as much out as MS/Sony combined.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that they were being manufactured as early as June. Weren't there some leaked pics or something about this?

The shocking thing here is how Nintendo has obviously refused to get their shit together. After the crippling DS shortages in Japan, you would've thought they would've made more of an effort to increase production or spread out the worldwide launch dates a little more to be able to focus more on each territory's launch supply.

I really don't understand how you can take a Cartman-esque "if you don't have a Wii, you suck, and you're lazy" attitude when there are surely things Nintendo could have done to improve the situation.

[quote name='Scobie']I was under the impression that they were being manufactured as early as June. Weren't there some leaked pics or something about this?

The shocking thing here is how Nintendo has obviously refused to get their shit together. After the crippling DS shortages in Japan, you would've thought they would've made more of an effort to increase production or spread out the worldwide launch dates a little more to be able to focus more on each territory's launch supply.

I really don't understand how you can take a Cartman-esque "if you don't have a Wii, you suck, and you're lazy" attitude when there are surely things Nintendo could have done to improve the situation.[/QUOTE]

So stock shortages means Nintendo does not give a shit? This is Nintendo's time to shine and kick ass. If they could sell an extra 2 Million systems they would. Do you think they just press a button and a system pops out? That guy MUST be on a vacation :roll:

Nintendo definitely has done better than MS and Sony, they just still haven't done well enough.

And like you said, it is their time to shine and it's unfortunate that they can't get more out now while they are in high demand, and while the PS3 has no real systems seller games and is sitting on shelves in stores in many places.

By the time their supply gets caught up MS and Sony may have some more games out to steal some of the thunder, or people will notice that the Wii game library in 2007 is a bit weak and Gamecube-esque in terms of lack of killer, mainstream appeal 3rd party exclusives.

The thing that people forget is that it doesn't make good business sense to be able to produce that many units, even if they could. Let's say right now Nintendo could sell one million units a month. They ramp up production so that they can produce one million units a month. How long do you think that sales rate is going to last? Two more months? 6 more months? What happens when demand slows for the following 3 years of the product's lifecycle? They have 50% of their production capacity/facilities gathering dust.

The DS is an entirely different beast, because they have had absolutely unreal demand for a solid year in Japan. If they run into that "problem" with the Wii, then they will react accordingly. Speaking of the DS, is it Nintendo's fault that they haven't been able to produce enough Lites for everyone to get one this holiday season?

It'd be great if every product was plentifully stocked at every time for everyone who wanted one, but obviously that is never the case in the real world.

My two cents. Or twenty.

[quote name='gizmogc']So stock shortages means Nintendo does not give a shit? This is Nintendo's time to shine and kick ass. If they could sell an extra 2 Million systems they would. Do you think they just press a button and a system pops out? That guy MUST be on a vacation :roll:[/QUOTE]

It could just as easily be marketing strategy as it could be hardware shortages.

"Jesus, it's February and people are still waiting in line for this thing. I've seen PS3s on shelves everywhere since the end of December. It must be really great to carry this type of momentum."

At this point it would be nothing for Nintendo to pull this kind of stunt. They can sell and extra two million units, they will sell an extra two million units, and fuck me if they don't know it.

Even if they were capable of flooding the market with consoles, what's the real advantage right now? To satisfy the thousands of people complaining that they can't find one? Trust me, the people bitching now aren't the people who are willing to abandon Nintendo because of questionable marketing ploys.

And it's not like developers are really losing out on missed sales opportunities at this point. The only game worth the price of admission at this point is Zelda, and I don't think the adoption rate on that is what was expected (Narrow example: I camped out the Sunday before Christmas, was 15th of a possible 15, and was one of three people to buy anything other than the console. All three of us purchased Zelda, and only one person ahead of me purchased an extra controller set. At least two late-comers at that time asked, "Do you have any Wii in stock? No? Okay, I guess I'll just take Zelda for GameCube, and that will have to do for now.").

Why do people want this thing? Wii Sports.

Nintendo could be sitting on another four million for all anyone knows, and for all they care. Holding out isn't going to hurt them--if anything, it's stirring up even more hype.

bread's done
Back