Team Fortress 2 Beta Sept. 17th and more

[quote name='gorgonzola238']Let me guess, 11:59PM Pacific.

Not surprising though, they always do this, no reason this should be an exception.[/quote]

Looks like its going to be that. :( its getting late here.

[quote name='Serik']Don't Episodes One, Two, and Three count as Half-Life 3?[/QUOTE]

According to valve yes. WHERE IS THE BETA ONLY!!! 2 1/2 hours remain in monday valve time.

[quote name='Serik']Don't Episodes One, Two, and Three count as Half-Life 3?[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have yet to try out Episode 1..still have to beat the main game. Are they upgrading the graphics in the episodes? honestly, HL2 shows it's age quite a bit (I just starting playing it a few days ago with everything maxed.)

[quote name='Apossum']Interesting. I have yet to try out Episode 1..still have to beat the main game. Are they upgrading the graphics in the episodes? honestly, HL2 shows it's age quite a bit (I just starting playing it a few days ago with everything maxed.)[/QUOTE]

Well play through lost coast with audio commentary and that's basically the updates that ep1 has, ep2 has even more addons.

http://shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48987

Speaking in a Shacknews group chat room on The Steam Community, Valve employee Erik Johnson has revealed that the maddeningly unreleased Team Fortress 2 beta is almost here. Valve is having difficulties with the dedicated Linux server software, causing a delay. Currently, the Windows server software is available through the HLDS Update tool available on the Steam website, but the Linux software is not ready. If the company cannot get the Linux server up within "the next hour or two," it will simply release the game for play on Windows servers only.
"We're really close, just a few issues with the Linux server. We just released the Win32 server, so if people are running those, they can get started," said Johnson. "If we don't make it with linux in the next hour or two, we'll just fire away with what we have and get linux out as soon as we can."

Finally, now how hard was it to post that like 2 hours ago?

[quote name='tsg2005']seriously! they could have just told us this many hours ago. most people wont be up to play it today now[/quote]

I will be :D

I have to get up for work in 6 hours, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(

ps: Anyone know if TF2 has a 30-second respawn time? I thought I read that somewhere. I can't imagine a Fortress game with annoying shit like respawn timers

[quote name='Serik']I have to get up for work in 6 hours, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(

ps: Anyone know if TF2 has a 30-second respawn time? I thought I read that somewhere. I can't imagine a Fortress game with annoying shit like respawn timers[/QUOTE]

Let's hope its a server side setting.

yeah I have the same problem; I'm trying to redownload now, but its going to take me another hour or so.

So far I like it. The lack of grenades will definitely take time to get used to, but that's ok, makes it a bit more strategic.

The spawn time however is going to get rather annoying. I just hopped on a server with a 15 second spawn time. That's going to not be very fun. Other than that so far so good, sadly I gotta roll out to work, how weak.

If only Valve posted the beta would launch 9/18, I would have gotten way more done yesterday than just refreshing steam and hoping the game would work :whistle2:(

I'm glad it's awesome!

this game is amazing
exceeded the high expectations i already had for the game :p
deff worth pre-ordering
i was pissed about last night though...

I dl'd this and FF and I am getting around 10 fps in both games, it is choppy as hell. HL2 seens ti run fine on my comp though, any suggestion to get my fps up to at least 30?

[quote name='3QGojo']I dl'd this and FF and I am getting around 10 fps in both games, it is choppy as hell. HL2 seens ti run fine on my comp though, any suggestion to get my fps up to at least 30?[/QUOTE]

Lower your resolution and set the details at lowest.

any recommendations for a good PC headset? wireless or not is fine, just no bluetooth.

[quote name='electronicmaji']my cock makes a good headset...;)[/QUOTE]

unfortunately for you, I don't swing that way ;)

I'll be honest: I hate TF2. The art direction and characters are amazing, but the gameplay sucks.

Dustbowl, my favorite map ever, the only reason I still play TFC, is a joke. The matches end in a lousy 10 minutes; gone are the epic 15 vs. 15 battles for the final cap point as the VOX counts down from 60. Maps in general are smaller; respawn times annoy me; times-to-kill feel off. You could say someone who's so attached to old school TFC never really had a chance of liking this game. The over-the-top, grinning ear-to-ear moments typical of TFC are conspicuously absent from the sequel. TFC was defined, to me at least, by equal parts absurdity and choas. Few games can really capture the visceral fun of online FPS games like TFC, especially the avanti, dustbowl, and well maps.

TF2 is clever, but I don't see myself playing it for 7 straight years.

Oh ya, and the pyro still fucking sucks. At least some things stay the same :D

[quote name='Apossum']any recommendations for a good PC headset? wireless or not is fine, just no bluetooth.[/QUOTE]

I use those Logitech ones for like $25. I think for under $50, Plantronics and Altec Lansing make pretty good headsets.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Serik, get you some Fortress Forever. See how that turns out.[/quote]

That's my plan when I get home tonight. I never expected TF2 to be a TFC clone...I just expected it to be fun.

[quote name='Serik']I'll be honest: I hate TF2. The art direction and characters are amazing, but the gameplay sucks.

Dustbowl, my favorite map ever, the only reason I still play TFC, is a joke. The matches end in a lousy 10 minutes; gone are the epic 15 vs. 15 battles for the final cap point as the VOX counts down from 60. Maps in general are smaller; respawn times annoy me; times-to-kill feel off. You could say someone who's so attached to old school TFC never really had a chance of liking this game. The over-the-top, grinning ear-to-ear moments typical of TFC are conspicuously absent from the sequel. TFC was defined, to me at least, by equal parts absurdity and choas. Few games can really capture the visceral fun of online FPS games like TFC, especially the avanti, dustbowl, and well maps.

TF2 is clever, but I don't see myself playing it for 7 straight years.

Oh ya, and the pyro still fucking sucks. At least some things stay the same :D[/quote]

Its still the beta. I actually quite enjoy the game. But people like the classics :D Hopefully they can pump out some mods for ya so you can enjoy it.

I think the gameplay how it is is an improvement the nade spamming was so annoying.

That said the respawn timer should be synchronized like in battlefield and shortened. Plus the emp should come back or else how do you get rid of the sticky bombs the demo man lays down.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Serik, get you some Fortress Forever. See how that turns out.[/quote]

I hated TFC with a freaking passion. Too many obnoxious grenades and plus I sucked asshole at the game. Thanks for pointing out the Fortress Forever, I will try that. I wish I could Beta TF2 but I am BROKE as a joke right now :(

[quote name='BULL_Ship']I think the gameplay how it is is an improvement the nade spamming was so annoying.

That said the respawn timer should be synchronized like in battlefield and shortened. Plus the emp should come back or else how do you get rid of the sticky bombs the demo man lays down.[/quote]

Respawn is a server side variable, so it just depends on the server.

The stickies can be shot at with rockets, they kinda roll around.

I love the art style in this game, however, not surprisingly, the gameplay feels similar to the crappy Team Fortress Classic Version rather than the superior Q1TF feel or even Q3F. Rockets move too damn slow and to make matters worse grenades are all gone. Spies can't feign death and Grenadiers can't explode pipes in mid-air.... WTF........

Game is great. We need to get some Cag matches going. Ill try and set up an event in the cag steam community group.

I've actually got a US and EU dedicated server online for another forum community I'm in.. Feel free to join in and play..

US Server:

EU Server:

Well, I really like TF2, to be honest. It isn't TFC, but damned if I'm not over TFC by now. I can look back on it with hazy nostalgia, but in the end, I can't enjoy it anymore.

TF2 is a very different beast. It is clear that the designers went all the way to make each class very different, yet still playable. Across the board, every class is fun. Scouts can double jump across the now-covered bridge in 2fort to make a totally battlements run at the enemy base, but despite their new (And slightly too powerful) scattergun, they are unlikely to charge through the local sgs, snipers, and spawning defense without help. Medics don't do offense anymore, but form a symbiotic relationship with HWs that makes the two of them a potent fighting force. The lack of needle guns and grenades makes the Engy's job a LOT more viable, but the easy sg destruction of spies means they can't go on offense if they wanna keep their defense. It is all like TFC... but a completely different flavor. Matches are faster-paced without the grenade spam, and more brutal. Only problem is that the back-and-forth territorial control maps NEVER finish in a way that isn't sudden death.

Pyros are still shit though. Tradition!

so is this worth getting on pc with my comp?
i can handle cs source and dod source fine but the thing im worried about is my comps rampant freezing(which for the life of me i cant figure out :bomb:)
im also using crappy speakers...
specs-
amd athalon(tm) XP 3000+
2.10 ghz
1 gig of ram

its either that or i'll just get the 360 version(have hdtv+surround)

It is interesting to read the opinions people have so far based upon whether or not they have played or were heavily into TFC. A lot of you seem a bit disillusioned with the changes. I on the other hand barely ever played TFC and to me the TF2 beta so far is the most fun I've had with any online shooter since I first played Counter Strike (which was a really fucking long time ago). I played for about 5 hours yesterday and I am contemplating telling one of my friends to call me at work and pretend there is an emergency so I can go home and play some more :)

So is this really a beta or is it sort of an unspoken early release? :) I haven't run into a single problem in my few hours of playing. Are they going to leave it open until launch day?

[quote name='Jiggles']I've actually got a US and EU dedicated server online for another forum community I'm in.. Feel free to join in and play..

US Server:

EU Server:

[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out. I need a solid server to play on. The only one I've really enjoyed chatting in so far is the purdue university server. I just hope it isn't as easy to get banned from the gaf server as it is to get banned from the forum :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']So is this really a beta or is it sort of an unspoken early release? :) I haven't run into a single problem in my few hours of playing. Are they going to leave it open until launch day?[/quote]

Someone told me that the beta ends on Sept 30th and we won't be able to play again until release on Oct 10th. I have been scouring the internet trying to find verification of this but haven't found anything. Anyone know?

I think the betaness of it comes in the server options. Seems like all servers are on the same settings. I for one cant stand the wait to respawn.

bread's done
Back