Tech-Knowledgeable Guys: Appraise This Hard Drive Deal!

LordKensington

CAGiversary!
Hi, folks. I've been reading through the threads, and I'm still a little confused about compatibility issues when it comes to internal hard drives and external enclosures.

What I really want to do, because I've never done anything like this before, is buy an enclosure and stick an internal hard drive in it, not only to save some money but also to increase my tech abilities, however slightly.

Does this seem like a good deal?

Enclosure: $36

Hard drive: 300 Gigs for $90 after rebates and savings

What do you all think of this combination? Will they work together? I wonder about compatibility because the interface for the enclosure is "IDE" and the interface for the hard drive is "EIDE/Ultra ATA interface" Are those compatible?

seems like a decent deal. Usually when getting a hard drive you just have to make sure it is 7200 rpm and at least 8mb cache. This drive is, so you should be fine. Only thing Id reccommend is gettign a cheaper enclosure. The venus is an awesome enclosure but slightly unnecessary. But its your money, so do what you gotta do.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']seems like a decent deal. Usually when getting a hard drive you just have to make sure it is 7200 rpm and at least 8mb cache. This drive is, so you should be fine. Only thing Id reccommend is gettign a cheaper enclosure. The venus is an awesome enclosure but slightly unnecessary. But its your money, so do what you gotta do.[/quote]Well, I figure if I'm gaining some stability and longevity by paying a little more for the enclosure, then I'm willing.

Thanks for the appraisal!

That is a nice deal. The WD JB model HDD's are still good stuff. For the case any cheap one should perform just fine, although the case plastic itself may break easier if it's generic. So for the case it comes down to personal preference and how much of a beating you'll be putting it through.

Yeah, they're compatible. A couple weeks ago Outpost and Buy.com had deals for 300 GB Seagate drives for right around 90 bucks sans any rebates. I choose Seagate drives because of the 5 year warranty, but have always had good luck with WD in the past.

wow, that takes a dump over my 80g external Hard Drive I was tempted to get.

just a few questions, techies, how hard is it to put an internal hard drive in an enclosure? Can someone who has never done any hardware work assemble it? The enclosure would come with instructions, correct?

Since I'm not going to need 300 gigs (and I want to order everything from the same site) I'm looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148105
Amazing reviews, Seagate warranty, and a good price

Can someone please recommend me an enclosure for the hard drive I'm getting?

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']how hard is it to put an internal hard drive in an enclosure? Can someone who has never done any hardware work assemble it? The enclosure would come with instructions, correct? [/quote]

I would rate it a difficulty level of: installing a new Car Battery. (with top-loading posts, not the annoying side-posts)

Here's the instructions in a nutshell (and yes, they're also included with an enclosure):

1. Open enclosure.
2. Slip hard drive inside and slide into attached IDE/power slots
3. secure HD onto enclosure (2-4 screws)
4. Close enclosure and screw secure.

The enclosure on NewEgg sounds good, most notably the quiet sound and big fan. This pic sums up the ease of install: http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-145-656-02.JPG

It's so easy, even a cryogenically thawed caveman can do it...

bread's done
Back