Tech question - linking xbox.com account to new xbox

AkariK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
275 (100%)
I originally had a 360 Elite, and when it RROD-ed, I sent it to MS for a new one. Then when a friend was playing on it, I don't know what he did, but he got me a nice circle scratch on my Infinite Undiscovery (which I still need to figure out what to do with). That turned me off using the console anymore, but my brother's friends played NBA 2k11 on it anyway and it seemed to work ok. Still, being afraid, I sold it on CL and bought a slim. This was a year ago, but I didn't really play it much in that year, so I never had a problem.

So, here's the issue. Back when I had the Elite, I linked my Windows Live/xbox.com account to it, so anything I downloaded from the site would go to the xbox when I started it up. Now, since I have a new console, when I purchase something on xbox.com and then start up the xbox, instead of automatically downloading anything, I go to the queue and it says 'Assigned to another console'. I can say 'Download again' and it will work, but is there a way to fix it so that I don't have to manually go to the queue every time? I never remember where it is...

You would be absolutely correct, as I had no idea what that was. Doing it now, thanks! Feel free to lock the thread.

Also, apparently it's one transfer per 121 days, not year.

[quote name='AkariK']You would be absolutely correct, as I had no idea what that was. Doing it now, thanks! Feel free to lock the thread.

Also, apparently it's one transfer per 121 days, not year.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm . . . I seem to recall a similar experience with my console after I had a RRoD.

Even after a license transfer I believe the error about being assigned to another console was still coming up when queuing items off the website.

There was a forum post I read some time after that explained there was a setting at the console that you had to click/enable in order for it (your current console) to become the default unit to download to.

I did this and the problem cleared up immediately -- and it wasn't a license transfer issue.

Try and queue up an item (game demo, perhaps) after you complete this license transfer. I'm curious to know if it remedied your situation. It may not.

[quote name='AkariK']You would be absolutely correct, as I had no idea what that was. Doing it now, thanks! Feel free to lock the thread.

Also, apparently it's one transfer per 121 days, not year.[/QUOTE]It used to be once a year a while ago, though it's good that they reduced that timeframe down to every 121 days.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Hmmm . . . I seem to recall a similar experience with my console after I had a RRoD.

Even after a license transfer I believe the error about being assigned to another console was still coming up when queuing items off the website.

There was a forum post I read some time after that explained there was a setting at the console that you had to click/enable in order for it (your current console) to become the default unit to download to.

I did this and the problem cleared up immediately -- and it wasn't a license transfer issue.

Try and queue up an item (game demo, perhaps) after you complete this license transfer. I'm curious to know if it remedied your situation. It may not.[/QUOTE]You have to have the new console signed into XBL before doing the transfer, so it gets the "hit" from XBL that it's the "default" console and that the DRM licenses are changed over to it. That's usually the thing that needs to be done in my past experience and after that, everything is good.

You also have to redownload everything you purchased/downloaded previously, as it gets tagged with the changed DRM licenses when you do the new download, otherwise it still reflects the old DRM license from the old console.

I had an issue where I changed 360 system from a Pro 20GB to a MW3 Super Elite and did the license transfer without issue. Two weeks later, my MW2 system had a RROD on the DVD drive and needed to be replaced. Since I had my system swapped out, I couldn't do the license transfer and spent three weeks working with Level 3 Xbox support before getting it all fixed. Real PITA, since that was back when you couldn't run the license tool more than once a year.

[quote name='GuardianE']Do you remember what the setting at the console was that needed enabling?[/QUOTE]

I don't recall specifically but I think it had always been there and I was just clicking "Download Again" option.

Are there any other options that are available from the "Assigned to another console" prompt?

You may not have even noticed License Transfer issues if you were always connected to XBL when playing on your 360. One of the main issues is that XBLA games revert back to trial versions when you don't have an internet connection and haven't completed the license transfer.

bread's done
Back