Technical issues vs original Xbox

NTolerance

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I never owned an original Xbox so I want to hear some opinions on what issues if any were preset on the original Xbox compared to the 360. Common sense would tell you that a the first venture of any company into a new market is going to have teething problems. But I never remember hearing about any major hardware/software issues with the original Xbox. Other than rushing the 360 to market how did Microsoft do so well with the original Xbox but then do an about-face with the 360? Were there any DRM issues with the original? Certainly there was no RRoD.

I think the only thing wrong with the OG Xbox was how hackable it was. New 360's just have the RROD problems but they kinda slowly fixing it with newer Xbox's the RROD rate has dropped.

lookie i still have mines :whistle2:D

OGeckksbawks.jpg

The first disc drives were horrible, and the whole mess with the power supplies, but other then that, it was a solid machine. I get the OPs point tho, why is the Xbox so perfect, and the 360 so horrible, in terms of reliance.

[quote name='twen']The first disc drives were horrible, and the whole mess with the power supplies, but other then that, it was a solid machine. I get the OPs point tho, why is the Xbox so perfect, and the 360 so horrible, in terms of reliance.[/quote]

They probally thought hey the xbox was fantoobolous but if we was out before ps2 then maybe we wo uld of been better so they rushed the 360 and focused on tactics to make them not sink like DC because of the haxors and beause of that put in cheap taiwan parts :bomb:

They MS what u expect they one of the companys that sells you poop and calls it windows and force feed people to use it and then u send up liking it :roll:

The Thompson hard drives were terrible (slow & buggy, stopped working after a couple years) and had a relatively high failure rate. Of course as with the 360 and getting a good optical drive, you had to play roulette to get a decent HD with the original XBOX. The samsungs were the best and I remember you could look up the barcode to figure out where it was manufactured and what drive was probably in it (I did it for mine). Other than that the only real hardware problem Microsoft had, that I can remember, was that massive frickin' launch controller that required surgically enhanced finger extensions to use properly.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Other than that the only real hardware problem Microsoft had, that I can remember, was that massive frickin' launch controller that required surgically enhanced finger extensions to use properly.[/quote]

I liked the Xbox Phat Controller till the S Controller came out now I can't go back. Miss the feel of my enhanced finger extensions on the phat controller sigh.

[quote name='NTolerance']Were there any DRM issues with the original? Certainly there was no RRoD.[/QUOTE]

There were no DRM issues because each download was tied to the console, no the Gamertag. So if you downloaded something on one console, you couldn't move it redownload it to another. It's simliar to Wii's DRM scheme.

And while there was no RRoD, there was FRaG (Flashing Red and Green), the signal for hardware failure. It wasn't nearly as common as the hardware was more durable.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']The Thompson hard drives were terrible (slow & buggy, stopped working after a couple years) and had a relatively high failure rate. Of course as with the 360 and getting a good optical drive, you had to play roulette to get a decent HD with the original XBOX. The samsungs were the best and I remember you could look up the barcode to figure out where it was manufactured and what drive was probably in it (I did it for mine). Other than that the only real hardware problem Microsoft had, that I can remember, was that massive frickin' launch controller that required surgically enhanced finger extensions to use properly.[/QUOTE]

Thompson doesn't make hard drives, nor are Samsung hard drives used in the Xbox, you're confusing the hard drive with the optical drive for some odd reason. I have a Samsung in mine, along with a 300GB Maxtor hard drive.

The disc drive broke on my original Xbox.

It was also killed when lightning hit a tree in my front yard, destroying a ton of electrical shit in my house.

[quote name='radjago']There were no DRM issues because each download was tied to the console, no the Gamertag. So if you downloaded something on one console, you couldn't move it redownload it to another. It's simliar to Wii's DRM scheme.

And while there was no RRoD, there was FRaG (Flashing Red and Green), the signal for hardware failure. It wasn't nearly as common as the hardware was more durable.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. They set a decent precedent with the original DRM scheme until they went Gamertag-specific with everything on the 360. Beyond the DLC issues w/ the 360 I really dislike the fact that each Gamertag has to buy their own Xbox Live subscription.

I bought a refurbished xbox that turned out to be a year 1 xbox. It was a bit noisier than newer boxes, and the optical drive started to crap out after about 4 years. It started with having trouble reading certain games, but after further use, it fully died. It ran like a champ for those 4 years though...

[quote name='NTolerance']Ugh. They set a decent precedent with the original DRM scheme until they went Gamertag-specific with everything on the 360. Beyond the DLC issues w/ the 360 I really dislike the fact that each Gamertag has to buy their own Xbox Live subscription.[/quote]

What you expect then everyone on the block would be using the same gamertag only paying for one account and MS wouldn't be able to buy that new jet and Major Nelson wouldnt have his 24k Diamond encrusted platinum custom air jordans.

About the FRaG I never heard about that unless it was someone who messed up a mod.

[quote name='twen']Thompson doesn't make hard drives, nor are Samsung hard drives used in the Xbox, you're confusing the hard drive with the optical drive for some odd reason. I have a Samsung in mine, along with a 300GB Maxtor hard drive.[/quote]
Ah, you're right. My memory was a little faulty. I suppose this means Microsoft didn't really learn their lesson with the optical drives either. Then they decided heating problems would be a great addition to the mix.

Here's mine. 1.6 xbox with a phillips drive (reads every type of media I've thrown at it). I have a X3 sticker on mine, but I stuck it on the 250gb hard drive instead of on the case. It has an X3, 1.6 rebuild pcb, blue/green/teal eject leds, ATA133 IDE cable, Arctic Silver 5 paste, and 250gb 16mb cache seagate hard drive. I only bought the xbox in November for xbmc purposes, but the warranty seal was intact, so no repairs were performed on it nor was it opened prior to my ownership. Also a fun fact....halo edition xboxes made up approximately .83% of all xboxes (200,000 out of 24,000,000).
img_2807small.jpg

Danil, very clean :) I still want a Halo Xbox, then I can run XBMC with the Xbox Classic theme in green (my red xbox runs the red variant).

My Xbox broke, my brothers xbox broke, my friends xbox broke, and we were the only 3 people who had them.

It probably didn't help that we had massive halo lan parties that went on for HOURS, and often just put the xbox's where ever we could fit them. However, I loved the solid build of the original aswell, these new flimsy consoles don't has that same feel.

I've had my OG Xbox since launch and its still fine. I dont think I've ever heard of any problems with the original, except for people who messed it up by trying to mod it.

Thompson DVD drive was a nightmare for many xbox 1 owner. Although it isnt that hard to replace the dvd drive yourself. A lot of people also hate the duke control

I recommend running the xTV theme. It's an Apple TV lookalike. There are some small issues with it, but they'll probably get patched eventually.

Thompson drives do suck. One of my friends had one before he sold his xbox to get a 360 and it often gave DDEs. Of course, in the original xbox, you can just pull the drive out and replace it with another xbox drive (Thompson, Phillips, Samsung) and not have to worry about anything as stupid as MS put into the 360 (drive key must match motherboard). Of course this hasn't stopped people from swapping drives, it just means more work is needed in order to do so.

My launch Xbox had a faulty disc drive--which from reading this thread I see wasn't that rare. It died late in the life cycle so it didnt bother me too much.

My 360 isn't from launch but about 8 months after launch, and I've yet to get RROD or Disc Read problems.

My launch Xbox sometimes doesn't turn on, it doesn't show any error lights or anything it just won't go on when you hit the power button. If you leave it sitting for a while it usually will go back on. Not sure what the hell it is, and I'm not paying the $80.00 or whatever Microsoft wanted to charge me for fixing it.

I should probably crack it open and see if I can repair it, I'd like to throw in a bigger hard drive and use it for stuff. ;)

looks like i'm in the minority here but my original Xbox died, same with 3 friends Xboxes. no modding attempts or anything like that...they just stopped working. this led us to rechristen it as the suXbox. my replacement is still working but my buddy's is picky about reading discs so he's got to play it on an angle. to continue the tradition my 1st 360 (rr)OD'd on me and the replacement's got a bum dvd drive...it is now know as the three-suXty.

There was also issues with it being able to read CD-Rs on some models, where as all models read CD-RWs.

I remember that issue, back when I gave a damn about Custom Soundtracks.

bread's done
Back