Technical minded CAGS -- a question about digital cameras

Salmonday

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My mother in law got my daughter an Argus Carabiner 5 MP camera. She said that it had an SD card slot in it so that it could hold more pictures, so I went out to Office Max and got a 4 GB SD card off an in-store special. We let my daughter open her camera present here on Christmas Eve so that the camera could charge up overnight (internal rechargeable battery) and would be ready to use in the morning.

I start reading the manual after she goes to bed, and it says that the camera accepts SD cards from 8MB to 2 GB. So what I want to know is, what will happen if I try to use the 4GB one I was going to leave in her stocking? Would it fail to read/use it? Would it read it or format it up to 2 GB? Am I going to have to pull that gift and exchange it for a smaller card?

I need some electronics geek to give me an answer -- preferably before morning....

Well, IMO, there isnt much of a "definite" answer. The reason it could say up to 2GB is because that it was the largest or most common size when the booklet was printed. In that case, it would read just fine. There is also a chance that the camera might not recognize the 4gb due to firmware, or something related to it. I would say your best bet is to return it for a 2GB either way, it would be the most guarenteed solution, and unless she plans to never delete a picture off of her camera, 2gb should be plenty of space.

EDIT: Now that I also think about it a little more, there could be another chance where the camera will only recognize up to a certain amount of memory, but that still brings me back to my original point of the 2GB card.

Considering the camera is a newer camera, the size thing isn't a matter of the cards not being available. What would probably happen if you stuck the card in there is that it wouldn't read it, so it would not write, the Wii also has this happen to any card higher than 2GB.

The best thing to do is to do what Link said, return in and give her a 2GB card. Stick a little IOU note in there.

It's possible that the camera will only read the first 2gb of space, also possible that there could be a firmware update for the camera to allow it to use bigger cards. Check the manufacturer's site.

My guess it is will just read the first 2gb, if that were the case and depending on the cost of a 2gb card you might just want to keep it. I've had a few electronic items with memory caps like that and most of the time they read the card fine, but just the size it supports and ignores the rest.

bread's done
Back