Ted Haggard's fall isn't the fall of christianity, it's fall of society as a whole.

AdultLink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
A lot of people would love to blame this on christianity, say that people who hate gays are really gay men in disguise.

The reality is really a fall of society as a whole. Please, listen on.

As much as I personally have bashed conservative christians, there are lots of them who live healty, productive lives. However, then there are ones with, probable mental disorders. These people choose to hide from their own personal life, and they go about it by picking subjects very, very dear to them.

You find these same people everywhere you go. People who escape jobs to play World Of Warcraft, people who ignore their children so that they can gamble, etc.

It's not a fall of christianity, it's a fall of society. Nobody wants to take any fucking responsibility anymore, they just want to live in a fake reality.

More likely Haggard had been taught for years that homosexuality is wrong, but of course he was homosexual and therefore he felt incredibly guilty. In order to try to alleviate that guilt he denied that he was homosexual, tried to suppress his feelings (thinking they were wrong/sins/evil/whatever) and became even more fervently anti-homosexual.

Probably not a mental disorder (depending on how you define "disorder" anyway).

People don't do the things you said because they have any kind of disorder it's because they hate their jobs/life in general and want to get away from them. They use WoW, gambling, whatever they like to do that. In the case that some people actually love their jobs they can also neglect their family because of that as well.

People are people and have always been the same. There's nothing about society in general that was really any different 50 or 100 years ago, you just don't know about it. Fathers neglected children, people were depressed, and people hated their jobs. It happens. Before TV and video games people just got drunk.

People still get drunk.

When people got drunk in the past, did they miss their jobs so that they could get drunk?

Nice try, but wrong.

[quote name='SpazX']
People are people and have always been the same. There's nothing about society in general that was really any different 50 or 100 years ago, you just don't know about it. Fathers neglected children, people were depressed, and people hated their jobs. It happens. Before TV and video games people just got drunk.[/QUOTE]

Actually society grew exponentially and the people with an assorted number of problems grew in statistical congruence. Thus we have a larger number of people with problems interacting with an increasing number and of "healthy" people, and space isn't increasing creating further problems.

[quote name='AdultLink']It's not a fall of christianity, it's a fall of society. Nobody wants to take any fucking responsibility anymore, they just want to live in a fake reality.[/quote]

Reality is the only word in the English language that should always be used in quotes.

What is "reality" for you?

[quote name='AdultLink']When people got drunk in the past, did they miss their jobs so that they could get drunk?[/QUOTE]

Um ... yes. Or did they "invent" alcoholism in the 1950s, along with violence and sex?

[quote name='hinkbert']Actually society grew exponentially and the people with an assorted number of problems grew in statistical congruence. Thus we have a larger number of people with problems interacting with an increasing number and of "healthy" people, and space isn't increasing creating further problems.[/quote]
Well that's why they made suburbs so people could get away from those with problems (and black people) and act like everything was ok. The number of people has gone up, and the number of people with problems has gone up, but the problems aren't new, that was my point.

And to AdultLink:

I realize people still get drunk, and yes people missed their jobs to get drunk in the past. You're blaming problems that have been around forever on recent circumstances. People weren't all happy and problem-free in the past, they just (for the most part) didn't write their problems down for you to read, and also the elite were the ones that wrote the books and the history, not the common people with common problems.

People throughout the generations have always looked at the past as being better and preferable to the present. They weren't right then and you aren't right now.

[quote name='AdultLink']People still get drunk.

When people got drunk in the past, did they miss their jobs so that they could get drunk?[/QUOTE]

As an Irishman who listens to the family history I would say yes.

[quote name='Msut77']As an Irishman who listens to the family history I would say yes.[/QUOTE]
Drug abuse is nothing new either, opium addiction was a problem in China since the 1600s, two wars were fought over it and it nearly destroyed their society. The War on Drugs has been around for 400+ years.

People today are kinder, more respectful, and more virtuous than they've ever been. Read a history book.

[quote name='dafoomie']Drug abuse is nothing new either, opium addiction was a problem in China since the 1600s, two wars were fought over it and it nearly destroyed their society. The War on Drugs has been around for 400+ years.

People today are kinder, more respectful, and more virtuous than they've ever been. Read a history book.[/QUOTE]
EDIT:
You are awesome.

[quote name='Msut77']I read many many history books. I do not go spouting tripe which is impossible to prove or quantify.

Did someone invent a ruler measuring respect?[/QUOTE]
I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the OP while agreeing with you.

[quote name='dafoomie']People today are kinder, more respectful, and more virtuous than they've ever been. Read a history book.[/quote]

Hmm, I dunno if I'd go that far, but they're definitely not worse anyway.

[quote name='dafoomie']I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the OP while agreeing with you.[/QUOTE]

Many many pardons then.

bread's done
Back