Tekken 5 Ultimate Collector's Edition $29.99 at EB/GS

Just came back from my local GS and they had a dusty T5 arcade stick. Sticker said $79.99 but rang up for $29.99. I was tradding in a copy of Halo2 to get the $22 credit and ended up having to pay just $10 for the stick. Sweeet

[quote name='Ubichu']
- A couple people mentioned "modding" the Hori joystick. Could someone please describe what this modding does?[/QUOTE]

A physical modification. Basically opening up the joystick, then replacing the joystick and buttons with better parts.

There are very few joysticks that are great out of the box, and a lot of people mod them to make them better overall.

Yes, Ubichu you can mod joysticks. Some are easier than others, but just take a look at the mod for the Street Fighter Anniversary Stick

http://www.arcadestickmonk.com/SFACmod.html

Any other good, cheap (preferably 2-D) fighters for PS2 I should pick up?

Aside from the ones already mentioned, look into King of Fighters series (my favorite of the ones I've played is 02) and Guilty Gear XX #Reload (stay away from Isuka). I'm not sure if these are on PS2, though, but I know they're available on Xbox.

Also try the Soul Calibur series, which tends to be the most accessible 3D fighter for most people.

If you aren't against PS1 games, Rival Schools is a pretty fun game.

why do u think tekken tag is better than 5?

I don't know if it's better, but it's definitely more fun simply because of the tag aspect and the sheer number of playable characters (especially when compared to Tekken 4).

$29.99 at the Gamestop in Irving Texas, outside the mall, the guy didn't even new about the price he was telling me that I must be reach for paying $69.99 (I guess that was the original price) couldn't believe his eyes when I just gave him $30 bucks to pay for it, hahahahaha:bouncy:

ObiJuan

[quote name='obijuan71']$29.99 at the Gamestop in Irving Texas, outside the mall, the guy didn't even new about the price he was telling me that I must be reach for paying $69.99 (I guess that was the original price) couldn't believe his eyes when I just gave him $30 bucks to pay for it, hahahahaha:bouncy:

ObiJuan[/quote]

Mine has a 99.99 sticker on it

[quote name='asianxcore']A physical modification. Basically opening up the joystick, then replacing the joystick and buttons with better parts.

There are very few joysticks that are great out of the box, and a lot of people mod them to make them better overall.

Yes, Ubichu you can mod joysticks. Some are easier than others, but just take a look at the mod for the Street Fighter Anniversary Stick[/quote]
Thanks, asianxcore and Pookymeister for answering my questions.

Given that these modifications don't change the functionality but replace parts with better ones, it sounds like modding the Hori arcade stick should be unnecessary because people say it's already of very good quality. In other words, the people who rave about this stick are talking about it as it comes out of the package and not talking about a modded version, right?

The SFA stick mod looks so involved. I couldn't handle it myself (if I had one). So all I care is that the Hori joystick is good out of the box, and it sounds like that's the case.

[quote name='Ubichu']In other words, the people who rave about this stick are talking about it as it comes out of the package and not talking about a modded version, right?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Out of the box functionality.

[quote name='phear3d']scored the last one at bergen mall, nj. the guy gave me a 10% discount since it didnt come with the empty dvd boxset for all the tekken games, someone must have stolen it he said thats why they put tape around the box. oh well, sweet deal :)[/quote]

:bouncy: :bouncy: I was there before you. Did not pick that one up since I dont like the tape they put on the box.

I enlisted the aid of friends all over the place in my search for one of these, and it looks like I'll be getting it today. I've been pushing off buying a stick for years now, but this was so cheap and so (reportedly) decent that I had to bite.
Thanks OP!

Hi everyone. I picked up an extra one just in case a CAG wants it. The box is a little shelf-worn, but the game and DVD case are both sealed. All I ask is you reimburse my costs:

29.99+8% tax = $32.39 + actual shipping.

I am in Central NY and this item is a little over 8 pounds. If I just wrap the thing in a paper bag it will cost no more than $19 to ship (that was from Central NY to San Diego). It should be less if you're closer.

I know shipping kinda kills it, but if you're interested, PM and I'll help you out. Otherwise, I'll return it.

-frap

I will go this weekend. The GS near me has like two of them all locked up in a glass case and it says $70 on it. I will attempt to get two. If no one here wants the second one I could probabaly ebay it for $60 which would be pretty sweet because that would mean I got mine for free.

[quote name='frap']

I am in Central NY and this item is a little over 8 pounds. If I just wrap the thing in a paper bag it will cost no more than $19 to ship (that was from Central NY to San Diego). It should be less if you're closer.

-frap[/quote]

I'm assuming you are going by USPS priority mail. I think if you choose fedex it will be considerably cheaper.

Sweet, I just got one last night. I was told they had pokemon game boy colors in stock. They didnt, but left with the teken 5 package. Made me forget all about the long ass drive. It wasnt one of my local GS.

There are still plenty of these around me...wish they were cheaper to ship, I'd buy some to trade. I though about buying one just for the stick and selling the sealed game and collector box on Ebay as those are going for around $20+shipping. That would give me a nice PS2 arcade stick for less than $10.

I also saw one of these at Frys today. They have them for $49.95.

Picked one up this weekend and took it for a spin. Seems like this one is a lot lighter than the SF 15th Anniversary stick. I haven't opened up the SF stick yet but that case looks much sturdier. The Tekken stick was pretty good altough I miss the longer stick. Can't complain at the price though. I think it'll get better as I get used to it.

Is it normal for Hori sticks to make a *clicking* sound for every movement of the joystick? May be an odd question, but the Tekken 5 stick I got makes a *click* everytime I move the joystick. This is actually my first Hori arcade stick, btw.

[quote name='Gabers']Is it normal for Hori sticks to make a *clicking* sound for every movement of the joystick? May be an odd question, but the Tekken 5 stick I got makes a *click* everytime I move the joystick. This is actually my first Hori arcade stick, btw.[/quote]

I think that is the way it was intended to be. Mine does that too..

[quote name='toneroni']are the balls on top of the joysticks supposed to spin? id rather it not.[/quote]

Hmm.. I don't remember them spinning ...

[quote name='Gabers']Is it normal for Hori sticks to make a *clicking* sound for every movement of the joystick? May be an odd question, but the Tekken 5 stick I got makes a *click* everytime I move the joystick. This is actually my first Hori arcade stick, btw.[/quote]

yes, since the joystick is a switch joystick of course it's supposed to click. the tekken stick actually isn't a REAL Hori stick, it doesn't use Sanwa parts like its Real Arcade Pro counterpart. I've got both, while the tekken stick is damned good for the price, its just not the same.

Just picked a copy up at a GS....I called 6 GS's in Houston and the only place that had some was the one closest to my house, thank god. The manager had no idea it was going for 29.99, he thought it was a mistake I think

[quote name='joeLTron']yes, since the joystick is a switch joystick of course it's supposed to click. the tekken stick actually isn't a REAL Hori stick, it doesn't use Sanwa parts like its Real Arcade Pro counterpart. I've got both, while the tekken stick is damned good for the price, its just not the same.[/quote]

It's a real Hori, it's just not a HRAP. There is nothing fake about the Tekken 5 stick. It uses Hori parts instead of Sanwa parts, but the parts are a hell of a lot better than anything you will find stock in an American stick (MAS excluded).

This thread depresses me. Anyone in Boston, MA ever find any?

Pretty sure they would have been snapped up by the employees anyway so I guess there's nothing to be sad about -- 'cept maybe anyone who says they've got plenty in their stores.

Next best thing is the Outpost $50 deal. So not the same.

[quote name='Hibiwa']This thread depresses me. Anyone in Boston, MA ever find any?

Pretty sure they would have been snapped up by the employees anyway so I guess there's nothing to be sad about -- 'cept maybe anyone who says they've got plenty in their stores.

Next best thing is the Outpost $50 deal. So not the same.[/QUOTE]

I saw one at Gamestop in Dedham, but this was like 3 weeks ago. I would reccomend checking out the EB and GS in the South Shore Plaza mall, they were LOADED with DOA and Tekken sticks back in August.

So it's been about a month since this price drop. Anyone know if it's dropped again? Anyone think it will hit the magic $20 price point or will it stay at $30? my local stores still have tons of these, all marked full price still, but they ring up at $29.99, of course. I guess I could go grab one while the buy 2 get 1 free sale is going on if I could find 2 other $30 items to get. Maybe some DVD box sets if they'd let me mix and match DVDs and games/accessories.

[quote name='Rictor']So it's been about a month since this price drop. Anyone know if it's dropped again? Anyone think it will hit the magic $20 price point or will it stay at $30? my local stores still have tons of these, all marked full price still, but they ring up at $29.99, of course. I guess I could go grab one while the buy 2 get 1 free sale is going on if I could find 2 other $30 items to get. Maybe some DVD box sets if they'd let me mix and match DVDs and games/accessories.[/quote]

Nah, wouldn't work with B2G1 cause the sticks aren't used. Sale only works with Used merchandise. And I'm pretty sure they're still $30.

It might work because when a game like this is so old they mark it used even if it isn't (though the guy couldnt really explain why to me). He said it is marked as used but brand new (it was new because it was all sealed still).

[quote name='joeLTron']yes, since the joystick is a switch joystick of course it's supposed to click. the tekken stick actually isn't a REAL Hori stick, it doesn't use Sanwa parts like its Real Arcade Pro counterpart. I've got both, while the tekken stick is damned good for the price, its just not the same.[/quote]

Hmmm I saw a GC Real Arcade Stick in a box, used, marked $12.99 at a GS near me. Should I have picked it up?

[quote name='furyk']I'm amazed I still see these in the local GS/EBs all the time.[/QUOTE]

There's at least one at my GS. If I was even remotely interested in Tekken I would probablly pick it up.

[quote name='munch']There's at least one at my GS. If I was even remotely interested in Tekken I would probablly pick it up.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I'm not interested in Tekken at all and I felt it was well worth it. Though I've also been wanting a stick for quite a while.

[quote name='munch']There's at least one at my GS. If I was even remotely interested in Tekken I would probablly pick it up.[/quote]

Then sell the Tekken and collectors case inside for $20ish , then you have a $10 controller thats well worth it :)

Wow, I can't believe this deal. I just grabbed one at my local Gamestop and the manager said, "FINALLY!" in a joking manner. He really wanted this thing out of the store.

I bought one and only played it once but I gave my ps2 to my brother...if anyone wants to buy it, send me a PM

Same here. Never saw them at the EBs near me. Had to resort to the more expensive Fry's online. Shipping made it hurt even more.

Funny thing is... mine is just sitting in a corner unopened like those treasure filled magical EBs. I probably should have at least taken off the seal to make sure I didn't get a box of rocks.

CAG is an impulse buyer's enabler. Hehe.

Where can you still find these? Local EB and Gamestops are cleared out of this... I need another! Anyone that can get me one let me know

[quote name='JCDenton']I really want one of these badly....I need that stick. If anyone can get an extra let me know.[/quote]

Shipping would kill it for you though (it weighs quite a bit). I got two (so I can multiplay). Tekken 5 is an excellent fighting game and for $30 noone should pass this deal up. I still see these all over (CT) so you still have a good chance of finding them.

bread's done
Back