Tell me about gamestop and Refurbished systems

Ye0ldmario

CAGiversary!
I'm in the works of picking up an extra slim ps2, and I wanted to know, how is gamestop with their terms of selling refurbished systems?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories of people buying refurbed systems and when they hook it up it's broken, freezes, disc error, has cocaroaches in it, spider webs, dirty and dusty, like that. Then they bring it back for another one, and that one is broken too. Usually it continues until they either won't give you another one or you finally find a working one.

I could probably grab one off of craigslist but I don't feel like dealing with all the idiots on there.

So anything I should expect from buying a used system at GS? Anyone get ripped off or get stuck with a broken one?

If you do go get one, get a USED one and not a REFURBISHED one. The refurbs are crap. You'll have better luck with the used ones.

I used to work at GS and purchased a refurb original xbox. it worked just fine and I had no problems with it. They come with the same warranty as the new ones and should be okay. The only downer is the price isn't that much better than a new one. I would hold off and get a new one if you can.

I've had varying experiences with used systems from GameStop. I bought a used Gamecube from there, and had no problems with it. Tried buying a used Xbox once, only to discover that it had apparently been opened up at some point. Had the guy there hook it up to a TV to find that it was modded. I'd really love to know how that got past the employee when it was being traded in. I said screw it and left at that point, which worked out well anyway as I wound up buying a 360 a few months later.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']. They come with the same warranty as the new ones and should be okay.[/QUOTE]

i thought they only came with a 90 day warranty and new ones came with a year?

[quote name='YodaEXE']I've had varying experiences with used systems from GameStop. I bought a used Gamecube from there, and had no problems with it. Tried buying a used Xbox once, only to discover that it had apparently been opened up at some point. Had the guy there hook it up to a TV to find that it was modded. I'd really love to know how that got past the employee when it was being traded in. I said screw it and left at that point, which worked out well anyway as I wound up buying a 360 a few months later.[/QUOTE] To me, the fact that its modded seems like a bonus.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I've had varying experiences with used systems from GameStop. I bought a used Gamecube from there, and had no problems with it. Tried buying a used Xbox once, only to discover that it had apparently been opened up at some point. Had the guy there hook it up to a TV to find that it was modded. I'd really love to know how that got past the employee when it was being traded in. I said screw it and left at that point, which worked out well anyway as I wound up buying a 360 a few months later.[/QUOTE]
If it worked... why not buy it?

[quote name='Chuplayer']If it worked... why not buy it?[/QUOTE]

Well, there was the fact that the DVD drive only opened occasionally when you hit the button, but also the fact that, since it had clearly been opened, if I had any problems with it I wouldn't have been able to return it to get a new one. The fact that someone traded in a modded Xbox worried me slightly, as why would you trade it in unless it was having problems and you wanted to get a new, working one?

Not all Gamestops actually test/clean/etc the used systems they get in- it's kind of a crapshoot if you get a good system or not.

Pay the extra 20 bucks and get a new one- the piece of mind is worth it.

[quote name='Ziv']If you do go get one, get a USED one and not a REFURBISHED one. The refurbs are crap. You'll have better luck with the used ones.[/QUOTE]

I bought a refurbed phat PS2 in 2001 and played the living hell out of it until last fall when I traded it in to get a second 360. The only thing that ever went wrong with it was the eye stopped reading discs sometime in 2003 which was able to be fixed by Sony free of charge and only took a week. Other than that it worked like a dream up until the day I traded it in.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Well, there was the fact that the DVD drive only opened occasionally when you hit the button, but also the fact that, since it had clearly been opened, if I had any problems with it I wouldn't have been able to return it to get a new one. The fact that someone traded in a modded Xbox worried me slightly, as why would you trade it in unless it was having problems and you wanted to get a new, working one?[/QUOTE]

My old Xbox had the same problem. Happens to some of them with age and usually when there isn't a disc in the drive. Just slap the top and it opens. Sigh, but I guess some people can't be bothered.

Protip: Gamestop stores get penalized if a used system gets returned because it's defective. There is no penalty if a refurb gets returned. Take that how you will.

[quote name='Nikadimas']

My old Xbox had the same problem. Happens to some of them with age and usually when there isn't a disc in the drive. Just slap the top and it opens. Sigh, but I guess some people can't be bothered.[/QUOTE]

You know the original Xbox systems came with either a small hole you could fit a paper clip that had been bent straight to tap an internal button to open the tray up. Some of the other ones had a little rectangular spot along the right side of the disc tray along the bottom where you could fit that same paper clip in and use it to pull out the tray.

While my PS3 was being serviced by Sony I broke out my old Xbox and it had the stuck tray problem, until I managed to eject and close the tray a number of times and get it working properly again.

Unfortunately, with my PS3 being back now, I'm debating if I'm going to pack up the XBox again and let it collect dust or play it intermittently when I'm not playing the PS3.

I've had good experiences with refurb systems. When my new phat PS2 stopped reading discs, I traded it in to get a refurb slim. That slim so far has been working 2 and a half years no problems. It has been through a lot too like going through Persona 3 twice. I also recently got a refurb Xbox and there has been no problems so far. However, if you can find one at a flea market/yard sale, you will get one for a much better price. Otherwise, I say don't be afraid of used systems.

[quote name='NovaKane']Someone actually found cockroaches...inside their refurbed console? That's just fuckin' nasty.[/QUOTE]

My one buddy sold me an old NES the one time with some dead bugs in it. I don't think they were cockroaches perse, but I was still pretty disgusted when I cracked it open to clean it up.

Oh and the way YeOldMario spelled it, I think those cockroaches were of the Tony Montana variety.

[quote name='NovaKane']Someone actually found cockroaches...inside their refurbed console? That's just fuckin' nasty.[/QUOTE]
I believe its the German roaches that have a fondness for Electronic devices, specifically ones that get warm.

Once you get roaches they are incredibly hard to get rid of. Using acids, abrasives that destroy their exoskeleton, or sticky pads that starve them to death are the only reliable ways to get rid of them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My one buddy sold me an old NES the one time with some dead bugs in it. I don't think they were cockroaches perse, but I was still pretty disgusted when I cracked it open to clean it up.

Oh and the way YeOldMario spelled it, I think those cockroaches were of the Tony Montana variety.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Keavy_Rain']I believe its the German roaches that have a fondness for Electronic devices, specifically ones that get warm.

Once you get roaches they are incredibly hard to get rid of. Using acids, abrasives that destroy their exoskeleton, or sticky pads that starve them to death are the only reliable ways to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

That's crazy. I couldn't even imagine what my reaction would be if I found bugs inside a console. I know I would be mad as hell though...*cringes* lol.

I bought a USED GameCube from them earlier this year, first one was not silver (stated on the box is was), :roll: worked less then 2 weeks then crapped out, swapped for another system, covered in dust, damn disc tray would not stay shut :bomb: wound up getting a refund after bitching with them, never will buy another system from them again :cry:

bread's done
Back