Tenchi Universe 8 disc box set - $28 shipped, new - 398 remaining.

Cool ... missed out the last time you posted this, glad I could grab this set. This is actually one of my favorite Anime series, as it's basically what got me into anime when they used to air these episodes on the local PBS station. Thanks Fire!

[quote name='neonglow']Is this worth getting to watch if I've never seen any other Tenchi series?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty self contained ... it's rather light hearted stuff, not really deep or overly complex like some anime. I actually prefer this version to the original OAVs. Basically it's 1 guy and 2 alien girls ... and they fight over him .. but the animation is good and it's entertaining. Plus I'm a fan of the character designs ... they're slick but not tooo cute or too over the top like some anime where this type of scenario is being presented. And this is probably the best intro to the Tenchi series outside of the original OAV ... personally I could never get into the newer stuff, as it just seems to repeat what was presented in this series and the OAV (Tenchi in Tokyo = yuck imo)

The title is misleading, this is not the 8-disc box set; it's the cheap complete collection release.

[quote name='Sushi-X']The title is misleading, this is not the 8-disc box set; it's the cheap complete collection release.[/QUOTE]

Technically, it still has eight discs.

And it's cheaper than buying it on Amazon ... plus I wouldn't want the 8 disc box set, it takes up way too much space and these come in slim-cases if I'm not mistaken. That's far better for me personally.

Question

Is the series where at the end the prince of Jarai (sp?) comes back. Where the king comes to get the 2 daughters? Because I remember watching this on cartoon network and the king getting pissed and sending something after Tenchi, but then the series seemed to stop there. Is the right one? and if so does it go past that?

[quote name='Mako1215']Question

Is the series where at the end the prince of Jarai (sp?) comes back. Where the king comes to get the 2 daughters? Because I remember watching this on cartoon network and the king getting pissed and sending something after Tenchi, but then the series seemed to stop there. Is the right one? and if so does it go past that?
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this particular series had a conclusive ending, as I recall it wrapped up a good portion of the plot and didn't end on a cliffhanger ... but what you said sounds about right for the last few episodes. Maybe you missed the last episode or two? Cartoon network evidently edited these for content and changed the opening and closing, so if you decide to pick this set up, you'd be doing yourself a favor from that standpoint as well.

Would anyone like to buy my original 8 DVD case box set? I'm low on space so I'd rather switch over to the smaller case.

I prefer the OVA continuity (though I never saw the newer sequels), but this is still a cool show filled with great characters.

[quote name='Mako1215']Question

[/QUOTE]

thats the ova ending, not this series. They kinda continued it years later but it never really felt like the same thing to me.

This tv series, and then the tenchi in tokyo series both have more conclusive endings

$28 shipped is still a hell of a deal to me. Thanks OP, I've been wanting Universe forever now, but it fell off my radar when it used to sell for $100+. Now if only I can find the OVA set, I only have it in divx form.

I still think Fire Thief is a stealth troll. Note how many dumb threads he creates and that he never accepts constructive feedback for his thread titles, etc.

Mine came today. Packaging is similar to the Anime Legends packaging... that is to say that the discs are all in one case rather than slimline cases. Cool by me.

Haha .. fair enough, mine came in this afternoon and outside of a loose disc, it's a nice set. Actually glad it's so compact, as the last thing I need is some huge compilation that takes up 8 dvds worth of space (I'm more of a closet anime fan now, having gotten older and realized I need to stop buying most of it).

Thanks again Fire, even if you are a stealth troll ;) jk

[quote name='MrNEWZ']I'm debating on this...[/QUOTE]

If you're debating, here's some info to help!

Negatives:
- The PQ is not great... who knows if this will ever be fixed via remastering and/or being released on Blu-ray.
- The initial storyline begins awkwardly, almost abruptly... the Tenchi Muyo OVA has a much more graceful storytelling style.
- No disc art... not sure if there was disc art for the original release, but the logo on a plain red disc is kind of cheap looking.
- Almost no extras.

Positives:
- Packaging is attractive and condensed... good outside artwork and insider artwork with all eight discs cleverly packaged inside.
- Cheap price... even at $28, it's a great value for a good series.

[quote name='zenintrude']If you're debating, here's some info to help!

Negatives:
- The PQ is not great... who knows if this will ever be fixed via remastering and/or being released on Blu-ray.
- The initial storyline begins awkwardly, almost abruptly... the Tenchi Muyo OVA has a much more graceful storytelling style.
- No disc art... not sure if there was disc art for the original release, but the logo on a plain red disc is kind of cheap looking.
- Almost no extras.

Positives:
- Packaging is attractive and condensed... good outside artwork and insider artwork with all eight discs cleverly packaged inside.
- Cheap price... even at $28, it's a great value for a good series.[/QUOTE]
Nice rundown, thanks!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Tenchi in Tokyo 8 disc box set at $20 is my next purchase from here.[/QUOTE]

Never could get into Tenchi in Tokyo ... it lost alot of the charm from the OAV & Universe when they dropped a majority of the secondary supporting cast imo. It seems to share more in common with the movies, if that makes sense, than the earlier shows ... as in more serious, less fun or outrageous stuff going on. What do you guys think about T in T?

I ordered Tenchi in Tokyo recently... It seems silly to have Tenchi settle on a person outside of his harem instead of just picking one of them, but at least it's better than the conclusion to the OVA series, I hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
The disc art on the old Tenchi Universe DVDs (from the box set with 8 individual cases) isn't much nicer than the new disc art. Old art = clear printing (not sure how to describe it, but it's cheap and monochrome) with the logo at the bottom of the disc and a different pose of Ryo-Ohki at the top of each disc. The newer art only has the logo, but it's composed of two colors (black and white) while the disc is printed red, which is more attractive IMO.

As for the contents of the disc, I checked both versions of disc 1 in my computer's DVD drive and their size is identical. Thus it doesn't look like the content was remastered for the newer release.

bread's done
Back