Terraria anyone?

TheLucky.1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So just picked this up last night...what I thought would be a quick 20 minutes of seeing what it was turned into a few hours of exploration. Good stuff. Anyone else playing this? I hope to have a server up this weekend or early next week but if anyone else has one or has one they play feel free to list it here...

[quote name='SEH']-snip-

I refuse to purchase this game after the creator cried for Youtube to remove a negative review of his game. Pretty lame move on his part.[/QUOTE]

While I have to say the dev's choice of going straight to Youtube and not trying to work it out with that guy is less than respectable, the video the guy made is just hateful troll bait. I mean, he doesn't just attack the guy's game. He attacks him on a personal level.

The video in question: http://thebestgamers.net/watchvideo.php?vid_id=minecraft2

In this little spat, I feel there are no winners. The guy who made the video is clearly an ass, and the developer doesn't have very thick skin.

i like the game, i think it's fun. wish i had some people to play with.

lol at youtube drama, who cares as long as the game is good

[quote name='kainzero']i like the game, i think it's fun. wish i had some people to play with.

lol at youtube drama, who cares as long as the game is good[/QUOTE]

It's 2D Minecraft made by a guy who cries to Youtube when someone calls him names. No thanks.

The game is good. Not amazing but good I'd say worth my 10 bucks. As for this guys review if he just did the review on the game it's funny and should of never been taken down. Once he attacks the guy it's a bit to far and just like I would say for anyone has the right to ask for it to be taken down.

I also think it was a smart move to go directly to youtube for it. You hear that review? He was a total cocksmooch, no way just asking him to take it down would of worked.

I wish you could host multiple servers at once. Then I could host a CAG one and a private one for myself and a couple friends.

[quote name='strikeratt']I also think it was a smart move to go directly to youtube for it. You hear that review? He was a total cocksmooch, no way just asking him to take it down would of worked.[/QUOTE]

It's just poor manners to go over someone's head before trying to work it out with them.

This guy also made Super Mario Brothers X, which is fantastic but unfortunately no longer available since PC Gamer featured it and Nintendo lawyers caught wind of it.

[quote name='Sideswiper']This guy also made Super Mario Brothers X, which is fantastic but unfortunately no longer available since PC Gamer featured it and Nintendo lawyers caught wind of it.[/QUOTE]

Yep. It was and still is one of the best Mario freeware fan games.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']It's just poor manners to go over someone's head before trying to work it out with them.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and it makes him look like a huge cry baby. I also find it funny that he reported the video for copyright infringement when his entire game is nothing more than 2D Minecraft.

Yeah he's an idiot who can't take criticism. Though if I cared about the developer being an asshole, then there's be countless other games I would never touch. Not to mention I wouldn't be playing this lovely game "The Witcher 2" because of the whole gog.com stunt. Of course it was a different part of CD Projeckt, but it's all semantics anyways.

Also Minecraft copied from Infiniminer. Who cares? I mean really. Minecraft doesn't really do it for me but I enjoy Terraria quite a bit. It features stuff that Minecraft isn't really big at doing as it's more of a builder game. Terraria expands a little bit in a different direction with more focus on fighting.

I bought Terrarria and I am enjoying it. Well I will be a lot once I get a better pick axe, seriously the beginning one is fucking slow. I like how this has more of a reward for exploring and you don't lose items when you die/items don't degrade over time. One of the most annoying points for me was being in a cave in minecraft and running out of pick axe's.

Although I don't care what this developer turns out to be, asshole or not. I am not going to buy a game just because I hate the developer.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Although I don't care what this developer turns out to be, asshole or not. I am not going to buy a game just because I hate the developer.[/QUOTE]
seriously, i think it's sad that people deprive themselves of a game based on idle gossip and a youtube review that got taken down.

as for the pickaxe, you can see a lot of ore from the surface so i just walked along on top until i found enough iron to get an iron pickaxe, that served me well. i also tried finding spots that were already kinda dug out and just followed the dirt. digging my own hole took too long.

at the moment i made it to the underground, but that stupid bone dragon demolishes me... right now the game is all about "how much hellstone can you mine before the bone dragon gets to you" to me.

[quote name='kainzero']seriously, i think it's sad that people deprive themselves of a game based on idle gossip and a youtube review that got taken down.

as for the pickaxe, you can see a lot of ore from the surface so i just walked along on top until i found enough iron to get an iron pickaxe, that served me well. i also tried finding spots that were already kinda dug out and just followed the dirt. digging my own hole took too long.

[/QUOTE]
Exactly, I don't care how much of a dick the developer is. If the game is good, like it or not, I am buying it. Plus I feel good supporting indie developers who make innovative games and not generic shooter or generic action game 52,000.

Also I should have my gf getting me a better pick axe. She has been addicted to this game, seriously she has been playing it for hours on end now :lol:. Probably tonight I will get a better pick axe to start my way on this journey.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Plus I feel good supporting indie developers who make innovative games.[/QUOTE]

How exactly is this game "innovative" (serious question by the way, not trying to be a dick)?

i heard a patch came out...

the bad news is that my gold pick no longer works on hellstone. wtf! well i guess i have to stay away from the underground now...

[quote name='SEH']How exactly is this game "innovative" (serious question by the way, not trying to be a dick)?[/QUOTE]

Well to me, I feel while this game does borrow elements from minecraft, it still blends the 2D metroidvania type gameplay and reinvents it with the style of minecraft into something completely new and fun.

Anybody have an excessive amount of iron ore/bars they want to trade me for something? I need to make a ton of chests but farming just iron is a bit of a pain. ;(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SEH']Exactly, and it makes him look like a huge cry baby. I also find it funny that he reported the video for copyright infringement when his entire game is nothing more than 2D Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

stop saying it's minecraft 2D if you havn't played it. It's much more then minecraft 2D, and in my opinion i think it has a lot more to do than minecraft. The developer of this game did exactly what minecraft did, he was inspired by many games and incorporated those games into his own, and he even admits it. On the otherhand minecraft is very very similar to infiniminer and notch even admits he took heavy inspiration from infiniminer. So don't act like you don't want to buy a game because it's a "copy" when in reality it's not. If you really want to get technicle though, minecraft is more of a copy then terraria is.

[quote name='jab1235']stop saying it's minecraft 2D if you havn't played it. It's much more then minecraft 2D, and in my opinion i think it has a lot more to do than minecraft. The developer of this game did exactly what minecraft did, he was inspired by many games and incorporated those games into his own, and he even admits it. On the otherhand minecraft is very very similar to infiniminer and notch even admits he took heavy inspiration from infiniminer. So don't act like you don't want to buy a game because it's a "copy" when in reality it's not. If you really want to get technicle though, minecraft is more of a copy then terraria is.[/QUOTE]

Not only that but how many games copy off eachother nowadays. I mean seriously tell me every FPS is not a copy in some way of another FPS. I been enjoying this game very much because it's not minecraft. There is actually different and new stuff to do and experience. I find this game to be refreshing and innovative since there has never been a 2D game like this before.

Now with that said, I would love to see a sequel to this that combines this game, finding and going through dungeons like zelda, and the level up system of a metroidvania game (with of course tons of more things to craft). He has the framework in place almost because there is a dungeon but I would love to see a more fleshed out experience.

[quote name='SEH']
I refuse to purchase this game after the creator cried for Youtube to remove a negative review of his game. Pretty lame move on his part.[/QUOTE]

You mean a review that just kept saying "This game sucks, it's a copy of minecraft" over and over? The game is actually good, but I guess people can be Minecraft fan boys at times.

[quote name='SEH']How exactly is this game "innovative" (serious question by the way, not trying to be a dick)?[/QUOTE]

How is any FPS now a days "innovative?" How is any RPG now a days "innovative?" How is any adventure game now a days "innovative? They aren't. It's all the same recycled bullshit put together to make a game. Every once in a while, you'll have a developer that adds something innovative to the game, but it's nowhere near innovative enough to make it game-changing. Watch some Terraria videos on YouTube though. It's completely different than Minecraft, and IMO, a bit more fun. It's nowhere near as much of a time-sink though. I could spend hours building stuff in Minecraft. There's really nothing awesome you can build in Terraria that I know of at least. 2D buildings just aren't as cool.

i think innovation is present in subtle refinements, people always think that being innovative means wide sweeping changes, but small subtle changes can also bring about innovation.

that's also a problem in business, everyone always says "think outside the box" instead of making your box just a little bit bigger and better.

[quote name='kainzero']i think innovation is present in subtle refinements, people always think that being innovative means wide sweeping changes, but small subtle changes can also bring about innovation.

that's also a problem in business, everyone always says "think outside the box" instead of making your box just a little bit bigger and better.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, this is why Terrarria works in my opinion. It adds stuff to the type of game that is a welcome addition (but still keeping the core fundamentals in check). Sometimes people and companies try to focus too hard on lets make so many new and drastic changes, it hurts them in the long run. Sometimes just the tiniest changes can make the world of difference.

i got the game Saturday and played from Saturday afternoon to Sunday night a total of 24 hours... I need something better to do with my weekends haha.

Well I just bought this on a whim. I have never played Minecraft so the copy-cat crap won't mean anything to me. Ironically if I like this game I might give Minecraft a shot afterwards.

[quote name='SEH']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_brAcMtZ0

I think he wanted it removed not so much for the review but at the end. The guy goes onto one of the creators deviant art page and laughs at some poem he wrote. That's crossing the line, guy should have just stuck to making fun of the game. Also that video is obviously tongue-in-cheek, joke review.

The video is back up somewhere, I watched it the other day.

EDIT : Having played the game now and finding that once you get some good gear it gets kinda boring. I didn't see the need to go get the best gear because nothing would really change besides my survivability. I guess time will tell if this game has any legs.

[quote name='AvidWriter']I think he wanted it removed not so much for the review but at the end. The guy goes onto one of the creators deviant art page and laughs at some poem he wrote. That's crossing the line, guy should have just stuck to making fun of the game. Also that video is obviously tongue-in-cheek, joke review.

The video is back up somewhere, I watched it the other day.[/QUOTE]
not to mention iIwouldn't evan call that game a review, it's just a guy who played 10 mins of the game who doesn't evan understand how it works. I think it's reasonable for the developer to want it taken down.

Got it from a dude here on CAG who did a 4-pack with the price error. Got a super good deal on it. I've been playing it more. It's pretty addicting. Just wanting to go a little farther/deeper. Just a few more ore, or till I die or hit a dead end.

Grabbed this for my son and I *(separate accounts) and we have played the hell out of it the last few days. I cant believe how much fun it is. I am playing it over several other newer and more graphically superior games. Love what they have done with the game. Not just the crafting but the random stuff and boss spawning.

[quote name='AvidWriter']Got it from a dude here on CAG who did a 4-pack with the price error. Got a super good deal on it. I've been playing it more. It's pretty addicting. Just wanting to go a little farther/deeper. Just a few more ore, or till I die or hit a dead end.[/QUOTE]
Ahhhh, so it wasn't supposed to be 75% off was it? I remember I bought it, then an hour later it went from 2.50 to 4.99 and I was like...???

I'm planning on starting a new thread for Terraria. I'm planning on hosting it like a sort of game night. Also wouldn't hurt to have skype running during it.

Would anyone be for this idea?

[quote name='option.iv']I'm planning on starting a new thread for Terraria. I'm planning on hosting it like a sort of game night. Also wouldn't hurt to have skype running during it.

Would anyone be for this idea?[/QUOTE]

ok. make a cag terrania group on steam so we can chat

Steam group created, would anyone like to help me defeat skeletron?

If so, pm me your steam id, and I'll just invite the the group.

edit: nvm, making it public.

It's called CAG Terraria

[quote name='SEH']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_brAcMtZ0

I refuse to purchase this game after the creator cried for Youtube to remove a negative review of his game. Pretty lame move on his part.[/QUOTE] i love terraria so much all my friends bought it and we had an amazing time building and tackling dungeons. i kind of want to shoot that reviewer. with a pistol. in the mouth. because his voice is so fucking annoying.

Great game Jengo, appreciate the help. And I'll be willing to help you out as well if we can get multi to work on your end.

Take that Skeletron!

I'll be on most of the day, I'll be willing to help.

edit: That was a good time m2b. Definitely down for more boss fighting.

For Terraria, just forward port (both udp + tcp) 7777. Or enable UPnP (easier). Or you could always set your comp to dmz, though I don't recommend that if you want everything else to have free reign over your ports.

I'm down to fight some bosses this week. I beleive they are stronger with more people.

OMG I have played this game until at least midnight every night this week. Look me up on Steam if you want to play some. I will be on tonight for sure. BREVITY_ on Steam.

bread's done
Back