Tested item before shipped, buyer received and says doesn't work. What do I do?

DomLando

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I test my items out twice. Once before I put it up for auction and one more time before I ship. I know for a fact the item was working 100%. It was packaged well and I can't see it getting damaged in the shipping process. The buyer left me positive feedback and then a day or two later emailed me and said the item did not work. Which I find odd. Also the buyer had zero feedback until recently and just got about 3 with 1 negative already. I usually would not question someone and would take a return but like I said I am 100% sure it worked and the buyer left me feedback so it just seems like they do not want the item. They also paid by Money Order. Should I take it back? If I do refuse to is there anything that they can do?

If they left you feedback it seems really strange to me. Why would anyone leave good feedback then say it don't work? Ask him why he left feedback if there is something wrong with it. Sounds to me like he is trying to mess with you.

[quote name='kell']I assume this is a game, correct? What is he saying is wrong with it (won't load, freezes, etc.)?[/QUOTE]
It is an accessory. And says it is not working on there system.

I'd offer to refund less their return shipping cost. Although not being able to simply refund a PayPal payment makes it much more of a PITA.

Had a similar situation with an Xbox game about a year ago. I had played through with the disc but the buyer said it wouldn't load. I figured it was probably their system but still offered to refund which they took me up on. When I got it back I tested and it still worked fine on my Xbox, but I didn't bitch to them about that and refunded as promised. Sold the game a week or two later on eBay again and no problems.

And no I doubt they can do anything to you if you refuse to process a refund. Paying with a MO their only recourse would be going to the cops or filing mail fraud but that certainly wouldn't gain any traction here IMO. I'd be very surprised if they even tried.

[quote name='wubb']I'd offer to refund less their return shipping cost. Although not being able to simply refund a PayPal payment makes it much more of a PITA.

Had a similar situation with an Xbox game about a year ago. I had played through with the disc but the buyer said it wouldn't load. I figured it was probably their system but still offered to refund which they took me up on. When I got it back I tested and it still worked fine on my Xbox, but I didn't bitch to them about that and refunded as promised. Sold the game a week or two later on eBay again and no problems.

And no I doubt they can do anything to you if you refuse to process a refund. Paying with a MO their only recourse would be going to the cops or filing mail fraud but that certainly wouldn't gain any traction here IMO. I'd be very surprised if they even tried.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help!

After you're little adventure of trying to sell "unused but opened HD DVD discs and 360 add on" while simultaneously commenting in another thread about how you were unimpressed with your 360 add on's quality? This couldn't happen to a nicer guy. See kids, everything catches up with you eventually.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']After you're little adventure of trying to sell "unused but opened HD DVD discs and 360 add on" while simultaneously commenting in another thread about how you were unimpressed with your 360 add on's quality? This couldn't happen to a nicer guy. See kids, everything catches up with you eventually.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your input! Sad you remember something stupid like that. Get a life.

[quote name='Yo Mama']What if the item they send back to you isn't the one you sent to them[/QUOTE]
Yeah this is one of the reasons I am not really thinking I should give a refund. And like I said the buyer has about 3 feedbacks now and 1 negative so it is hard to trust that.

If they already left positive, paid with a money order and you know it worked then just forget about it. Or tell them that you do not give refunds but will exchange for the identicle item once they ship it back to you. I had this happen before and i never heard from them again once i told them i would replace it.

[quote name='DomLando']Thanks for your input! Sad you remember something stupid like that. Get a life.[/QUOTE]

What can I say? I have a good memory. Great job using your reply to refute my claim.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What can I say? I have a good memory. Great job using your reply to refute my claim.[/QUOTE]
I do not want to argue with you AGAIN. Therefore I let it go. Why post in a thread if you cannot help at all? If you must know I watched one movie and sold that one as USED. The rest were sold as open but never watched because I did not watch them. The player itself I never used and was not happy with it when I used my friends player. Not that this has anything to do with this thread. So please leave. Thanks!

[quote name='DomLando']I do not want to argue with you AGAIN. Therefore I let it go. Why post in a thread if you cannot help at all? If you must know I watched one movie and sold that one as USED. The rest were sold as open but never watched because I did not watch them. The player itself I never used and was not happy with it when I used my friends player. Not that this has anything to do with this thread. So please leave. Thanks![/quote]

Uh, sounds fishy, I suppose, but whatever. The man has a point. No need to thread crap. Either help or move along. Oh, wait. I haven't been of help, either.

*runs*

[quote name='bluekeith75']If they already left positive, paid with a money order and you know it worked then just forget about it. Or tell them that you do not give refunds but will exchange for the identicle item once they ship it back to you. I had this happen before and i never heard from them again once i told them i would replace it.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly the same case with my deal, but I have also found that the majority of buyers won't pursue it if you offer to refund. I think they are just happy you are being polite and willing to work with them and that lets them feel good about just leaving it be.

I mean for me selling stuff on eBay is a hobby and it's fun to turn a bad situation into something that both I and the buyer end up feeling good about.

I had a problem like this minus the feedback. I sold Guitar Hero for the PS2 and the buyer received it and said that the guitar didnt activate the Star power when jerked. I'm not a guitar hero person myself...just going with the hype so it was rarely played and looked almost brand new. I usually use the SELECT button and told the buyer. I offered to give him $10 refund but still keep product.

He never responded nor left me feedback. So he either fixed it or didnt care anymore. All my auctions states that all sales are final with no exchanges or refunds since I have actual images and describe items to fullest extent. But i was nice enough to offer $10 refund and thats on a very very rare occassion

I'd just offer a refund, minus the shipping cost. Tell the buyer to ship the item back to you in the same condition it was shipped, when you recieve it back check to make sure it was the one you shipped (any pictures if possible), and also make sure it is infact working conditons. As long as everythings fine, refund his money, USPS money order, and get some sort of tracking on the letter itself.

[quote name='Herbsnverbs']I'd just offer a refund, minus the shipping cost. Tell the buyer to ship the item back to you in the same condition it was shipped, when you recieve it back check to make sure it was the one you shipped (any pictures if possible), and also make sure it is infact working conditons. As long as everythings fine, refund his money, USPS money order, and get some sort of tracking on the letter itself.[/quote]

Why would he do this? He received feedback. He shipped an item that worked when it left. If he did this he eats both listing and final value fees.

Personally I would delete the email and not respond to it. The buyer has no recourse here since he didn't use any form of payment that provides protection.

bread's done
Back