Tetris Effect 19.99 at Gamestop

Picked this up yesterday and played it with my PSVR. Graphics and music are amazing. If you have a PSVR, I highly recommend you pick this game up.
Even without PSVR the game is excellent. I haven't had a chance to play in VR yet, but am looking forward to it. Thinking this will be a VR weekend for me to get caught up on my backlog.

Picked up a copy that I put on hold. Of course, it was a new gutted copy they put in a clear plastic baggy. So dumb.

Hey, that's great news.....leaves a copy out there for someone that wants something as cool as this.

You can't take it and then complain. They keep doing this because too many people accept it. If it's not sealed, it's not new.
That seems a bit simplistic. Amazon was OOS, no other retailers matched the price, no other Gamestop’s within 100 miles had a copy in stock. Also, the GameStop I picked it up at called me a few hours after I reserved it and asked if I still wanted it because two other people wanted to pick it up.

So yeah, me taking some public stance against a stupid business practice would have had zero effect other than me not getting a great game at a good price.

All that being said, I will mention it in the survey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered 2 as gifts from gamestop.com but then remembered the gutted "new" copies I've been receiving from online orders, so I also bought 2 from Amazon. I'll offer at cost shipping to people here if I end up with extra sealed copies

You can't take it and then complain. They keep doing this because too many people accept it. If it's not sealed, it's not new.
I agree. I've walked out of Gamestop without something I fully intended to buy new because of this a few times. That's the only way they will ever get the message. There is no reason that they cannot either get some display boxes and then get inserts from the publishers (I'm sure they would be fully willing to provide marketing material that will sell their games - especially since many of them already provide that for pre-orders) or invest in plastic prisons. Heck, I've bought extra game boxes in the past to replace a few and they are dirt cheap.

I ordered 2 as gifts from gamestop.com but then remembered the gutted "new" copies I've been receiving from online orders, so I also bought 2 from Amazon. I'll offer at cost shipping to people here if I end up with extra sealed copies
That's going to almost always happen with orders of games that are already out. Those orders get sent to a store to fulfill I believe, and they will almost always use a gutted copy because you have no way to complain ahead of time since you aren't there and likely won't return it.

I agree. I've walked out of Gamestop without something I fully intended to buy new because of this a few times. That's the only way they will ever get the message. There is no reason that they cannot either get some display boxes and then get inserts from the publishers (I'm sure they would be fully willing to provide marketing material that will sell their games - especially since many of them already provide that for pre-orders) or invest in plastic prisons. Heck, I've bought extra game boxes in the past to replace a few and they are dirt cheap.
While I agree it's a good idea to vote with your wallet, Gamestop will not get the message this way as I see regular consumers eat the gutted BS. There's no good feedback mechanism for abandoned "carts" at GameStop retail unless you file a complaint.

While I agree it's a good idea to vote with your wallet, Gamestop will not get the message this way as I see regular consumers eat the gutted BS. There's no good feedback mechanism for abandoned "carts" at GameStop retail unless you file a complaint.
Completely true. But Gamestop is having a heck of a time trying to keep existing these days. Maybe they should pay attention to the things gamers think are important. Especially since they trade in used games and consider the act of removing the shrink wrap enough to make a game "Used" if you try to return it. By their logic, if an employee takes off the shrink wrap and/or checks it out to it play at home it then it is still "New". But if a customer does it then it is "Used".

If they hope to survive, they better start paying attention to the customer's wishes.

How Gamestop displays games is due to customer feedback.

How Gamestop displays games is due to customer feedback.
I don't know about that. Customers have been complaining about gutted new copies of games being sold at the new price for years and years now. It has gotten better though, when I worked there they had us gutting upwards to 10 copies of a new game to display on a new release wall. Gamestop also has cover-art for the games, but I believe the publishers are part of the reason the actual boxes are on the floor, as they want their games to be represented to potential buyers with the legit artwork. There are definitely different things they could do to prevent gutting new product though, but they are too cheap to buy plastic lock cases and I honestly don't think they have the space to display games in those cases either. I've always thought they should do something similar to the classic Toys 'R' Us approach to tickets.

Realistically though this problem should be very low on their radar considering the shape the company is in financially right now.

I don't know about that. Customers have been complaining about gutted new copies of games being sold at the new price for years and years now. It has gotten better though, when I worked there they had us gutting upwards to 10 copies of a new game to display on a new release wall. Gamestop also has cover-art for the games, but I believe the publishers are part of the reason the actual boxes are on the floor, as they want their games to be represented to potential buyers with the legit artwork. There are definitely different things they could do to prevent gutting new product though, but they are too cheap to buy plastic lock cases and I honestly don't think they have the space to display games in those cases either. I've always thought they should do something similar to the classic Toys 'R' Us approach to tickets.

Realistically though this problem should be very low on their radar considering the shape the company is in financially right now.
I worked at Gamestop too, and that's what I was told when I asked about it. Customers felt having everything locked and in cases made shopping not fun and impersonal, along with "Gamestop being cheapasses when it comes to ink" (Manager's words). Also if they are gutting more than one copy for display you need to file a complaint because they're only supposed to do one.

When I picked up Astro Bot, they told me the same thing when I asked if had a new copy.  I'm sure the opposite would be interesting if it was new and sealed and I returned it rather than open!

Played it for 2 hours on Friday night. Pretty good game but quite intense. I can see people quickly getting burnt out on it. The integration with music and sound is pretty cool.

GameStop delivered two seal copies in 2 days, for once; however, one had a loose disc in the case, so I am keeping that one and gifting the other.

I worked at Gamestop too, and that's what I was told when I asked about it. Customers felt having everything locked and in cases made shopping not fun and impersonal, along with "Gamestop being cheapasses when it comes to ink" (Manager's words). Also if they are gutting more than one copy for display you need to file a complaint because they're only supposed to do one.
Now it's only one gutted copy per game, but back when I worked there all the stores gutted multiple copies for the New Release displays. They stopped doing that probably due to customer complaints.

I personally think they could splurge and save a ton of store space by putting large touch screens in the new release sections where people can browse the games digitally and see what is in stock and just go to the counter and get it sealed. Gamestop stores are always pressed for space and this would solve that issue.

If companies want display copies they can pay for the space in pre-shipped art or in paying for stores to print them. Every retailer takes money for display space, make it mean something.

Tempted by getting this somewhere at this price, but I'd prefer Lumines since the classic Tetris aspect isn't really here.

If companies want display copies they can pay for the space in pre-shipped art or in paying for stores to print them. Every retailer takes money for display space, make it mean something.

Tempted by getting this somewhere at this price, but I'd prefer Lumines since the classic Tetris aspect isn't really here.
What do you mean the classic Tetris aspect isn't here? It's literally Tetris in a rectangle surrounded by flashy background graphics (that I found myself mostly blocking out to concentrate on the rectangle of Tetris) and with some musical elements that don't really factor into the gameplay aside from being cool and giving it its vibe.

how is this game honestly?
It's good. I was on the fence, just because it looked like the same Tetris I've been playing since I was a kid with a new coat of paint, but I'm a fan of Lumines, and the musical elements sucked me in (the background music and the fact that turning and placing blocks kind of adds notes to the music or creates music in some stages). The graphics are pretty cool, too (even if I mentally blocked them out a lot to concentrate on the gameplay). I kind of got addicted and finished the mission mode in a couple sessions over a day or so and then played through all the other modes and played most of the mission mode again in one go.

The only negative is that it's pretty short, even with 30+ levels/songs. If you're decent at Tetris, the main mission mode can probably be beaten in a few hours on normal. There are a bunch of extra "beat your score" and puzzle-y type modes, though, and community events where you play modes to reach a collective goal with other players. Oh, and there's an experience/leveling system, you know, because reasons.

Yeah.  I'll third that.  Lumines Electronic Symphony on the Vita is my favorite, and the licensed soundtrack and how it's incorporated into the game is amazing.  I've been playing Lumines Remastered on and off lately, which still holds up, but it's still hard to beat jamming out to "In My Arms" or "Hey Boy Hey Girl" on the Vita.

In stock at Amazon for those that prefer it over GS.  Has been randomly showing up in stock for brief periods but I kept missing it until now.

Keep checking your local GS if they were previously out.  Several in my area got a shipment yesterday and I was able to snag one.

Local GS restocked few days ago. Picked it up. Ita a neat game but for a game you have to concentrate, sometimes can be hard with all the visual distractions. Love the soundtrack

Overall I thought the game was pretty weak.  I like my Tetris, probably have about 150 hours in Puyo-Puyo Tetris on the Switch.  I played this with my PSVR with my studio headset.

As far as the VR goes it pretty much did the worst thing it could possibly do; using VR neither enhanced nor elevated the overall experience.  All it did was mildly alter the viewing experience.  The overall visuals are also very weak.  Polygon counts, texture quality, and particle effects were all around PS2 levels.  No joke.  Fire up Astro Bot and just go to the mothership to see how incredibly lackluster Tetris Effect is.  I mean, jeez guys, when the credits roll it's actually hard to read the names because the font resolution is soo low.

The music was good, though in my opinion Lumines did it better.

I think the overall concept was trying to be more profound and the execution was completely flat for me.  Putting it on Hard just meant I got less consecutive Tetrises and overall a lower score.  I'm not even complaining about the 'purity of Tetris' here.  The game is just nothing special, at all, and poorly executed on PSVR.  I don't know how it got as many positive reviews as it did.  I feel like I wasted my $21.50 and I'll probably trade it in for $15.60 store credit to minimize my losses.

Mother of pearl, that's insane. I haven't had this much fun with Tetris since Tetris DS. I'm still hoping that they bring this to Rift so that I can check out in VR.

The New Tetris for N64 is still the best puzzle game I've ever played. I bought Effect today at Gamestop. I am waiting to play it though. I might be getting VR soon so want to experience the game first with that.

Also got my sealed copy from GS today after passing on a gutted copy from a different store a couple days ago. I enjoyed what I played of the demo, even more so in VR. Probably would have waited for a steeper discount if not for the VR mode

I ordered tetris online NEW.  today I received the game un-sealed with just a round sticker on the side of the case to keep it closed.

tomorrow Im returning it. I will not stand by this scummy sale tactic that GS keeps doing

I ordered tetris online NEW. today I received the game un-sealed with just a round sticker on the side of the case to keep it closed.
tomorrow Im returning it. I will not stand by this scummy sale tactic that GS keeps doing
At least you got the game. My bubble mailer was empty and now I wait for GameStop CS.

Sigh....I knew amazon would eventually price match it but I decided not to wait for it.

I ordered tetris online NEW. today I received the game un-sealed with just a round sticker on the side of the case to keep it closed.

The best is when the store clerk will try to explain how it doesn't make any difference and is still "new". One tried to identify with me by letting me know he used to feel the same way when he first started working there.... but, then realized it didn't make any difference. See! In the end, I was silly to expect something "new" to be sealed.

Mine hasn't shown up yet, but I will be surprised if I'm not in for the same thing.

I remember when some clown said this won't drop in price for a long time because of the tetris license.

I remember when some clown said this won't drop in price for a long time because of the tetris license.
Lol. That’s exactly the reason it would get a price drop. I mean, Tetris is great, just not $40 great. My price point was $12, but got in on this deal because I had GS credit and I very rarely shop there.

bread's done
Back