Tetris Party Deluxe DS

bmachine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
119 (100%)
Tetris_Party_Deluxe_DS.jpg

Anyone else picking it up this week? It supports 6-players via wi-fi connection with voice chat.

From Amazon:
Synopsis
Tetris Party Deluxe has plenty of all-new modes and enhancements to take the classic puzzle fun to a whole new level. With six new game modes, you can enjoy your favorite puzzles with a twist. Set off a line-clearing chain reaction with bombs, complete 20 perfect clears and race against time in Bombliss, Sprint, VS Sprint, Master, Co-op vs. Co-op and All-Clear Sprint. Multiplayer modes offer all-new items to slow down your opponent with Smoke, Time Stop and more. Field Climber, Shadow, Stage Racer and Duel Spaces are enhanced with extra modes, experiences and rules. With more than 20 exciting modes, online battles and multiplayer fun for groups of friends and family, Tetris Party Deluxe is a must-have for Tetris and puzzle fans.

Features:

• Play in six new game modes, including Bombliss, Sprint, Master, VS Sprint, Co-op vs. Co-op and All-Clear Sprint to race against time, clear lines using bombs, complete 20 perfect clears and more
  • Four modes of play have been enhanced with more features including Everest in Field Climber mode, Edit mode in Shadow gameplay, Abyss Mode in Stage Racer and improved rules in Duel Spaces
  • Battle it out with friends during multiplayer mode by using exciting items to prevail against your competition: use Smoke to cover your opponent's matrix, Time Stop to temporarily freeze your rival's game and more
  • In-game statistics award more than 130 achievements for outstanding performance
  • Talk to your competitors in the Wi-Fi Battle Lobby with the Nintendo DS microphone
  • Activate Magic Items with your touchscreen for fun and convenient play
  • Play with up to three other friends in your own home or with up to six competitors with Nintendo's Wi-Fi multiplayer World Battle
  • Battle in local multiplayer games with up to eight other players using one game card

I own Tetris DS, but I'm a sucker, so I ordered this the other day with the 20% off coupon at gamestop.com. Should be here by the end of the week.

I am looking forward to not hearing the Nintendo themed music anymore, but am worried that the controls won't be as tight (Tetris DS plays really well). We shall see!

-HM

I've already got Tetris DS and Tetris Party Wii and I don't play either *that* often, so I'm going to have a hard time justifying this one. I think I'm going to resist it. At least until it is available for a pittance.

I got both the Wii and DS versions in the mail today for review.

My DS version friend code is 4254 7140 4105. If you want to play, PMing is the best way to contact me.

I've been playing random public matches every night this week and I haven't had any trouble finding competitors. Lots of really fun, really hectic 4-player matches!

[quote name='RchrdJ']My DS version friend code is 4254 7140 4105. If you want to play, PMing is the best way to contact me.[/QUOTE]

I'll add you when I get home tonight!

[quote name='Masterkyo']Can't believe Tetris (DS) is $50 Pre-Owned at GS. I refer Tetris Party Deluxe is better updated version[/QUOTE]

There will always be a place in my heart for the original Tetris DS but the prices people want for it are ridiculous. After 3 days with Tetris Party Deluxe I'm OK with saying that the new version is the superior one.

Picked this up and I already deem it superior to Tetris DS just because of NO MARIO MUSIC. It's a miracle I didn't become psychotic after listening to that music endlessly through all those hours playing online. I don't like the non-traditional modes as much as Tetris DS's puzzle modes and it would have been nice to have Push mode back, but those modes probably made up less than 1% of my playtime anyway.

Infinite spin is back, plus there's a Master Mode that's similar to TGM where pieces drop instantly, so infinite spinning is almost mandatory. I don't really see it as a negative in competetive games though, since while you spin your opponents can keep building up their stacks.

Since the manual is completely worthless (three pages and they got the only new controls wrong??), here's a PDF guide that explains what all the items do. It's for the WiiWare version so some of the descriptions refer to pointing, marking, etc., but you can figure out how they all translate to the DS version.

My friend code is 3052 1273 0860. We should do a group game sometime!

[quote name='Hollow Man']How is it superior?

Also, did they finally ditch Infinite Spin?

-HM[/QUOTE]

Mostly, I just think it's more elegantly designed. Tetris is Tetris, more or less...I just like the design tweaks in this new version quite a lot.

I don't know what Infinite Spin is so I'm not sure if they ditched it.

[quote name='metaly']Since the manual is completely worthless (three pages and they got the only new controls wrong??), here's a PDF guide that explains what all the items do.

My friend code is 3052 1273 0860. We should do a group game sometime![/QUOTE]

Ah, that helps...a little. I thought it was kind of odd that they didn't have a tutorial or guide to explain what the items did.

Added you to my friend list, metaly. Just noticed that your FC has a little dancing heart next to it!

[quote name='metaly']Just discovered that the voice chat is for 2-player games only. Super lame.[/QUOTE]

Weak. Hudson conveniently omitted that detail from all of the marketing points.

Mine came in over the weekend. It's pretty good. Just the fact that I can choose the music, turn the music and SFX off independently, and change the background picture, is a big plus.

It still has infinite/easy spin, but it seems limited to certain number of rotations. Easy spin is the feature The Tetris Company implemented (I believe with Tetris Worlds) where you could keep any piece in play for as long as you want simply by rotating the piece constantly (I think it will stay in play as long as you hit the rotate key about every half second).

Good game. I like the new play modes. I find it amusing that the accolades like "good job" and "excellent" seem to stop once I start throwing out Tetrises. I guess if you're doing "power moves" the game feels it doesn't have to shower you with positive reinforcement.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Mine came in over the weekend. It's pretty good. Just the fact that I can choose the music, turn the music and SFX off independently, and change the background picture, is a big plus.

It still has infinite/easy spin, but it seems limited to certain number of rotations. Easy spin is the feature The Tetris Company implemented (I believe with Tetris Worlds) where you could keep any piece in play for as long as you want simply by rotating the piece constantly (I think it will stay in play as long as you hit the rotate key about every half second).

Good game. I like the new play modes. I find it amusing that the accolades like "good job" and "excellent" seem to stop once I start throwing out Tetrises. I guess if you're doing "power moves" the game feels it doesn't have to shower you with positive reinforcement.

-HM[/QUOTE]
really? i might try

bread's done
Back