Texas law MIGHT create 50% tax on "violent" games.

"He stated that games would be deemed "violent" by a 10-member committee, and taxes would "be levied swiftly" against game publishers." -1up.com

well...if they COULD get property taxes out, I could live with that. But otherwise, yea. Looks like I'm gonna have to like...vote now or something.

Okay, probably another thing answered in the article, but are all three of these issues on the same Bill or are they separate. That 50% tax on soft drinks has 0% chance of passing, that's why I'm asking.

Locke, according to The Amarillo Globe News, wants "to do away with property taxes statewide" while taxing "violent games" and a myriad of other things (i.e. abortions and soft drinks) a whopping 50%. He sees these taxes as "the power to destroy. So our concept is that we need to tax things we don't want and you want to not tax things you want to encourage."

This part is what bothers me. Basically they're going to take the property tax and make people pay for it through things that they don't like. There are so many things wrong with this I hope it doesn't pass at all. Though knowing how most of the voting community is usually older people, ones who don't usually drink 'soda', have abortions much or buy the occasional 'violent' video game, it'll probably go through.

50% is a steep increase in tax on these items. How much is an abortion couple hundred to $1k...that could be a $500 tax if they cost $1000, and $90 games if you consider xbox 360 games are $60.

I understand the reasoning for taxing games and abortions (not that I agree with taxing either of them, I'm just saying I understand why people would suggest it because some people in society deem both bad), but what's the reasoning for soda? Is it because it's unhealthy? If so, what's next, a fast food and candy bar tax?

[quote name='shipwreck']Okay, probably another thing answered in the article, but are all three of these issues on the same Bill or are they separate. That 50% tax on soft drinks has 0% chance of passing, that's why I'm asking.[/QUOTE]

It actually doesn't say. I can't access the Amarillo news thing so I can't say.

Using a dummy account, here's the article direct from Amarillo
Gubernatorial candidate seeks support

By Jim McBride
[email protected]

ARTICLE TOOLS
E-mail E-mail This Article

A Republican gubernatorial candidate said Monday he wants to scrap Texas' property tax system and would institute taxes on abortion providers, violent video games and soft drinks instead to fund state government.

Star Locke, a Republican rancher and builder from Corpus Christi, said Monday he's been touring the state, trying to drum up support for his campaign. Locke said rising property taxes are hitting landowners across the state and he's concerned about government taking away private property from landowners for other uses.

"One of my legislative proposals is to do away with property taxes statewide," Locke said during a stop in Amarillo.

Locke said he favors instituting a $10,000 per-abortion tax on abortion service providers, a 50-percent tax on violent video games and a 10-percent tax on soft drinks with added sugar to fund state government.

"I take the position that the Founding Fathers took: that the power to tax is the power to destroy," he said. "So our concept is that we need to tax things we don't want and you want to not tax things that you want to encourage."

Locke said he would create a 10-member statewide board that would determine which video games are violent and levy taxes against game manufacturers. The same board, he said, would decide which companies portray violence in their advertising and would levy a tax on their products.

"Once it's reviewed, the tax would be levied swiftly," he said.

The longtime Republican said he also would take aim at obesity by levying a tax on soft drinks with added sugar. Locke said he also would like to eliminate city governments to avoid duplication of services and would place more power in commissioners courts across the state.

Locke faces Republican Gov. Rick Perry, consultant Larry Kilgore and Rhett Smith, a businessman involved in private security, in the GOP March primary race.

Also found this quote straight from the Donkey's mouth that it's 100% not 50% right here

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']well...if they COULD get property taxes out, I could live with that. But otherwise, yea. Looks like I'm gonna have to like...vote now or something.[/QUOTE]

Voting is something you should already take pride in doing, anyways.;)

Soft drinks, video games, and abortions. Seems like they are trying to make the kids pay for their land. Pick on the people who are too young to vote. What a smart idea. Should add it to board games, bicycles, formula, and diapers too.

Reality's Fringe]This was posted over at GamePolitics a few days ago said:
http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/183912.html[/url] I wouldn't worry. Also note that Locke is a rancher and builder. I wonder why he wants to shift tax from property?

Thanks, ya he looks like a loser that wont make it. That's a tremendous cost for abortions...... but that concerns me less. Most of my friends are just complaining about the soft drinks.

$10,000 tax on abortion!? Don't people have abortions (partially) because they can't afford a damn kid?

The new taxes sound ridiculous but don't underestimate how appealing it will be to older people who the new taxes won't affect. Hey, no more property taxes, and instead a tax on things that they don't buy? Doubleplusgood for those people. The bill has a decent chance of losing but it probably won't go down in as much flames as you might expect.

44228-vote-kinky.jpg

somebody just wants attention it would never go down if it did..every game retailer in texas would go out of buisness people would buy there games online.

This has no chance of passing simiply because it's so garsh darn unethical and insane. 50% tax on M rated games? Who are they trying to protect here. Why not just make a law that bans stores from selling M rated games to minors. If not then the store has to pay some sort of fee. And the abortion part? That actually has a somewhat decent chance of passing, I just hope the adoption and foster home and orphanage infrastructure can handle so many unwanted children. And the soda tax? Might as well increase the tax on alcholic beverages.

This bill is so freaking silly. I'd laugh in this fool's face.

Can a person under 17 buy a rated R movie?

although I doubt this will get passed, I definitely voting against it. I hope all of you do the same. 50% tax is insane.

Man. I am so going to open up a mature game only store and card people at the door.

I will ask politicians, concerned parents, and Jack Thompson for funds.

And then when I get them, I'm going to make a pool full of money and swim in it.

We had a proposed law in Amarillo that was voted down a couple months back about a smoking ban inside restraunts. If a smoking ban doesn't pass, then a 50% tax surely won't either.

[quote name='My Name Is BoB']We had a proposed law in Amarillo that was voted down a couple months back about a smoking ban inside restraunts. If a smoking ban doesn't pass, then a 50% tax surely won't either.[/QUOTE]

That's not too out there, indoor smoking is completely outlawed down here in Austin. And :applause: to evanft, anybody who lives in Texas needs to vote for Kinky this November.

[quote name='evanft']
44228-vote-kinky.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Kinky is the man. Where the hell would you find a Jewish Cowboy running for govenor and especially texas.

[quote name='Strell']Man. I am so going to open up a mature game only store and card people at the door.

And then when I get them, I'm going to make a pool full of money and swim in it.[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya!

Ban the kids.

Not the games.

Go Joe.

[quote name='gambitmachete']What they have in common is that they are the three awesomest things in the world. Duh.[/QUOTE]

I do love games, but I am against abortion. Nothing against soft drinks (drank plenty myself) but so far I am living without them.

I wonder how they will get revenue since the property tax is going away since I do believe I heard that the supreme court declared it unconstitutional.

One way or another I am being screwed.

Yet again, folks, be advised that THIS IS NOT A BILL CURRENTLY BEING CONSIDERED. This is one nutball candidate's wacky idea for punishing people for engaging in behaviour of which he does not personally approve. For the THREAT of this tax proposal to be legitimate, this Star Locke guy would not only have to be chosen by his party in the primaries to run INSTEAD OF AN INCUMBENT GOVERNOR, but he'd have to win the gubernatorial (that's "for Governor" for you kids) race, and THEN he'd actually have to change the Texas tax code COMPLETELY to eliminate property tax and install his ridiculous alternative. I know Texas is full of the kinds of people who would vote a drunk-driving cocaine-addicted retard into the Governor's Mansion but the odds of THIS guy getting his way are pretty long. Your video games, abortions, and soda pop are not at risk, folks.

Well, maybe your abortions, but that's a whole other conversation.

[quote name='nefaquotek']I do love games, but I am against abortion. [/QUOTE]

Let's do this: Since you're against abortion, don't have any. See, I'm against soda, so I just don't have any; I don't try to prevent other people from drinking it (well, maybe by stating my anti-soda view if the subject comes up).

But I know nothing gives me the right to prevent other people from drinking it.

[quote name='Strell']Man. I am so going to open up a mature game only store and card people at the door.

And then when I get them, I'm going to make a pool full of money and swim in it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. Man, that'd be the seediest, rockin'est, most erotic gamestore in the hood. Ya HEARD?!

[quote name='nefaquotek']I do love games, but I am against abortion. Nothing against soft drinks (drank plenty myself) but so far I am living without them. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just joking. The only thing on that list I am really down with is the soda drinks. :mrgreen:

I hope it passes, I firmly believe that if we remove the few entertaining things the state may infact implode and we can welcome in our neighbors from the north to fill the void.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I hope it passes, I firmly believe that if we remove the few entertaining things the state may infact implode and we can welcome in our neighbors from the north to fill the void.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be awesome if the U.S. just suddenly gave Texas to Mexico. And then filmed the ensuing carnage to create the greatest documentary EVER. Too bad President Turd likes playing cowboy too much to ever do such a thing.

I'm just curious if a good lawyer could argue that since the bill states "any form of human violence" and there are no real humans being harmed in video games (just virtual ones) that the tax can't be levied. :lol:

[quote name='MrBadExample']I'm just curious if a good lawyer could argue that since the bill states "any form of human violence" and there are no real humans being harmed in video games (just virtual ones) that the tax can't be levied. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Good try, but "simulated human violence" is part of any form.

I'd rather abolish property tax by taxing the fuck out of religion. Anyone who believes that their place of worship keeps out of politics in this day and age (and thus compromises their tax-free status) is living in an archaic world of delusion.

Or they're Episcopalian. fuckin' fence sitters. ;)

bread's done
Back