Textbook Rental Help- Got Charged for Past Due.

ral1121

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
So I rented a textbook for the first time on CengageBrain.com and I'm posting this before Customer Service is open.

I had an immediate problem with my family that required my attention and totally lost track of time after my classes ended.

I had that textbook due on 5/31. I got it in on time but realized it said my book needed to be turned in 5 days before the due date to UPS. Okay, no problem. I checked the site, and it said there was a 7 grace period allowed after the due date.

Which is this:

". The rental period begins on the date of your Order and ends and ends at midnight at the end of the 60th day after the date of your Order, both dates inclusive ("Due Date"), and your return must be received by Cengage (not postmarked) on or before the Due Date (or on or before 7 days after the Due Date if you are taking advantage of the 7-day grace period).A penalty is assessed for rental returns not received in the warehouse within the due date plus 7 day grace period. "

So that gives me with 7 extra days. I tracked the shipment and it arrived 6 days before the grace period ended (6/6). I take a look at my email, they just got done processing today (6/11)and they have charged me full price for the book ($100+), and I had already paid $50+ for the rental.  Now they are returning the textbook because apparently it is past due. Did I not follow the grace period correctly or something?

What can I do? Is there anyway to fight this if they refuse? Am I in the wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to have to be very forceful with customer service.  Make sure they know that you tracked the package and have confirmation that it arrived before the grace period ended.  Unfortunately there are a lot of companies who are out there to screw you.  Your only defense is to hit them with the facts and make it clear that they will lose a customer and you make sure and let everyone know how they are to do deal with if they aren't willing to honor their own policies.  Good luck

bread's done
Back